Why can't we have a good video game movie

Why can't we have a good video game movie

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CPiHmqeAe_Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I thought the metal gear series was it

how can a licenced property get a concept so utterly wrong

RE movies are better than the game.

I unironically liked Mortal Kombat, but that's about it.

lmao this is so bad

Probably because video games poorly translate into movies.

OR... more likely, only shit tier writers and directors get to do movies based on games, because no self respecting film maker wants to.

he looks like he's wearing one of his dad's suits or some shit

>the whole point of the game series is using disguises
>he doesn't use a single disguise throughout the whole movie

Why even bother?

I liked the prince of persia one

Games translate poorly to movies so you couldn't rip the story directly from one.

Movies that would appeal to fans of the game would probably sell poorly overall. Hell even a Halo movie would bomb.

Warcraft was ok and the Resident Evil series is passable.

Did someone tell the movie maker that the games were about bald Terminator in a suit and they spent 2 years making a flop based on this poorly communicated summary?

what's wrong with it? that's how i played blood money

nowadays it probably would, but if they released a halo movie starring master chief around 2008 it would be a mega hit.

You can't properly translate a video game into a film. People enjoy each of them for different reasons. Like fights. Many of them. If you saw a film that consists solely of fights, where characters would fight using the same exact moves all the time, you wouldn't like it, no matter how juicy said combat would be in a game. You also wouldn't like watching the character just travel for 5 minutes, while in game it is enjoyable if done right. Etc. Literally every single game mechanic is untranslateable into films. So the film would have to ignore gameplay mechanics (which already makes it not relate to the game well) and focus on story, which is hard, because even in heavily story driven games the story is ruled by completely different rules than in film, not to mention that when a video game based film is to be produced, they usually hire some cheap, shitty director and writer because "lol this is about some children's game, not worth much moni".

That's how plebs play Hitman and movies are for plebs.

>stoic white man murders hordes of aliens with his witty hot blue AI sidekick

yes surely it would be the pinnacle of cimena

Film makers and directors that do it don't get it and most of all don't respect it. They literally try to copy paste games anturage, setting and all flashy stuff.
Instead they just have to understand game then do a careful transition from video game scenery into Movie.

Be real, that is probably how 90% of people played the Hitman games. Running and gunning through each level.

Most casuals don't have the patience to sneak and find disguises.

>That's how plebs play Hitman

Is it even possible to play a Hitman game like that? I mean aside Absolution.

Video games rely on interactivity to be good, something literally impossible to do in movies. Wasn't there a video somewhere explaining how video game movie directors aren't trying to make good films, but basically exploiting some global loophole?

it would be a better movie if he doesn't take his mask off. and if it was based on combat evolved you can rope in the summer moviegoing scene with a horror element using the flood.

Already happened, nerds.

youtube.com/watch?v=CPiHmqeAe_Q

The point of the game is to kill people. It rewards you for using stealth and making deaths look like accidents.

I did it once.

I can't believe Dennis Hopper was in this. Was this after Blue Velvet?

No user. No

Did 47 load his gun with 2 bullets? What a fucking amateur...

i don't see why not. back in 2008 right after halo 3 came out, it was more popular than ever. perhaps you're too young to recall.

And tried to 1) shot the bitch 2) in a public space. 3) engaged in a gunfight with bodyguard and 4) engaged a civilian into it.

Christ

I liked the Silent Hill movie. I feel like it at least captured the spirit of the game better than most movie games do.

Because good directors can choose their projects, and they don't choose to make video game adaptations.

If I told you that in the movie Hitman: Agent 47, at one point he punches his hands forward while shooting to specifically make the bullets come out of the gun faster so that they do more damage
Would you believe me?

>Resident Evil series is passable.
The problem is it's so far removed from the games its Resident Evil in its name only.

Fuck you, i liked it. At least it felt like they actually cared about being authentic.

So did I, it wasn't a masterpiece by any means but it was a fairly decent, unoffensive action flick.

Please tell me you're trolling. Just... please

I like it too but I heard the one for SF5 was a load of shit. Is it true or was it just part of the SF5 release being a shitshow?

Blood Money is EASILY adaptable to a movie.

It's just that writers/producers are shit.

he didn't say anything about the movies quality, he is right halo around 2008 would had been a hit if marketed properly

Acting was kind of amateur but I liked Assassin's Fist. It's definitely the best of the live-action SF movies.

what the FUCK was that

I like the Silent Hill movies desu

You should really watch the movie. Because its insane

I disnt know there was a live action for SF V

>Hitman
>childrens game

Holy shit, it was worse than I feared...

The OP asked for a good video game movie, not an overwrought, melodramatic, nonsensical shitpile of a videogame movie.

?

He's not bald enough

Yeah I watched it when it came out and it was like literally The Terminator

Remember the warcraft movie?

Me neither

How do you adapt a 30min game to a 2hr movie, though?

That's what film directors and producers probably think. It's a game after all - how can it compare to high-art Michael Bay's films are?

I've literally never played Hitman, can someone tell me what is the best Hitman game? The one that gives you the best all around experience of what a Hitman game is about

Because good videogames aren't good stories and story videogames are only videogames because they were too shit to be a fucking movie.

/thread

>Mortal Kombat
>Street Fighter
>Super Mario Bros.

For the same reason we can't have good anime movies.

The silent assassin, huh, did the faggot that made this pile of shit even played the game?

Take all the cutscenes and put them together (in this particular case)?

Imagine an ideal Hitman movie.
It would be borderline experimental.

Some kind of spy thriller plot happening with shots of Agent 47 performing some obscure, convoluted actions while undercover.

As the movie culminates, SUDDENLY one of the key characters is unexpectedly killed by hitman.
The audience goes WOAH.

So you're thinking some sort of Sundance short-film then?

Hitman

Contracts or Blood Money

Sure if being 18 is young.

Yes, halo was a popular video game but it would make a shitty ass movie.

The art director for this is also responsible for Demolition Man which is really obvious in retrospect.

Hitman is a pretty cool guy

Don't remind me this exists

>If you saw a film that consists solely of fights, where characters would fight using the same exact moves all the time, you wouldn't like it, no matter how juicy said combat would be in a game
The Raid was nothing but combat & that film was great (okay sure, not just the same moves all the time but why would that be necessary for a video game film?)

>Quinn reduced to this

just sad, really

We do have good anime movies. They're usually animated just fyi.

so the reasons are that the director wants to add his shitty style into an already made product and scriptwriters doung stupid changes like Section 9 being a sooper secret corporate unit instead of govermental special unit?

lol look that piggy

Is the new Assassin's Creed movie the first movie created by a movie studio that was started by a video game company?

I think Ubisoft is making it canon with the rest of the rest of the series which would go against most of the arguments in this thread.

I really hope that Akira adaptation stays in development hell.

Resident Evil is good for like five minutes before going to shit

>if being 18 is young

Lmao kid you're basically still in diapers, can't even buy a drink yet. Go back to your cartoons.

The best Hitman movie is Holy Motors by Carax.

>ameritard detected

Uncharted Prequel was pretty good

The movie should be about someone chasing him, and trying to protect the contracts from him, you never see hitman, you just know he is there, waiting for the moment to get his prey, the protagonist should be able to tie some strings, and anticipate where hitman will strike, and try the hardest he can to stop it, and failing, it would help if they find a way to show how he bypassed all securities whitout, resorting on cameras, because 57 is too god to get sppoted by them

Game? I posted a movie

Video games and movies are two different mediums. Games can tell stories that movies can't tell and vice versa. Trying to make a movie out of a game is like trying to hammer the cube block into the triangle hole.

Contracts, Blood Money and Hitman TM.
Honorary mention 2 Silent Assassin, but game suffers from some levels being good and some levels being bad.

from the thumbnail i thought it was persona 5

what the fuck is this shit

>games can tell stories
NO THEY CANT

GO FUCKING WATCH MOVIES

GAMING IS NOT FOR STORIES GET THE FUCK OUT OF GAMING

Jam a big ol' tampon in it Susan for christ sake you are embarrassing yourself

>like Section 9 being a sooper secret corporate unit instead of

FUCKING RETARDS, THATS NOT WHAT GITS IS ABOUT

THATS NOT WHAT SECTION 9 IS ABOUT, THAT'S JUST A RETAEEEEEEEEDGREGR

>47 missing a shot from that far away

What did they mean by this?

(You)

and then there is this retard

THIS tbqhfampai

>GAMING IS NOT FOR STORIES
Games tell stories since they exist.
And this is not restricted to video games.

when you think about it isn't the real Resident Evil video game canon even crazier than the movie series?

I'm actually glad games get more story oriented.

Untrue.
but the majority of the movies are laughably bad.

>NO THEY CANT

Yes they can. Games can tell stories. Movies can tell stories. Shows, books, plays, songs, damn near anything can tell a story. You can draw a shitty comic on your kitchen floor with ketchup and it can tell a story. I said nothing of the quality of these stories, simply that they can be told.

Now stop being so fucking autistic and go masturbate or something.

He wasn't feeling the best at the time.

>can't buy a drink at 18
>America