thirteenag.github.io/wfp#sh3
youtube.com/watch?v=_ht4dbyPIcM
youtube.com/watch?v=LfZW4bypK4s
youtube.com/watch?v=svTd7-VDfqc
youtube.com/watch?v=PI7EsNJoAdw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good because I would get disappointed once again after 4

This makes me hit the desk!

I personally think with any amazing game or movie you don't truly experience it until you've went through it once. That being said I first played SH 2 & 3 on the HD Collection which ruined my first playthrough.

We did have a SH thread still going at: , but it just now died. Please use catalog next time.

If you are one of the lucky ones that still can play these for the first time ever, here's the SH PC Guide + DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Links to the new widescreen hacks, that also fix things like low-res DOF & shadows in SH3:
thirteenag.github.io/wfp#sh3

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.

You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>I first played SH 2 & 3 on the HD Collection which ruined my first playthrough.
yikes... I feel for ya.
Hope you've played SH1 and the rest in their true forms later on?

I knew you'd be here.

>tfw tried out that sh3 widescreen hack for the first time yesterday
>finally higher res shadows & DOF blur effects
looks sooo damn great now! No more fiddling with FOV Tool either!

>tfw I have played each SH game (1-4) over 50 times
>tfw I don't regret it

my negro!
I've "only" played SH1 some ~40 times, and SH2 some ~20. SH3's clocking mere dozen or so proper playthroughs, and SH4 maybe four.

I tried to play silent hill one a while ago but I pussied out at the school part, when everything goes really weird and dark.

as long as you don't drop the game for good, that's alright.

I'm not ashamed to admit that first time playing these games, I played some mere 30 minutes or so at once, before I had to keep a pause and calm my nerves. Playing form save-spot to another, or solving a tough puzzle / fight and then saving & quitting, is a pretty good tactic.

>B-But PS1 games can't be scary! Muh graphics!!
/sarcasm

If anything I think the graphics make it scarier somehow.

I agree, and that seems to be slowly maturing and spreading view of many people.

Already couple years ago, there was this one user posting about his own experiences of how oldie games like Tomb Raider 2 and its obviously flat and non-existent landscapes tickled his curiosity and will to explore way more than some modern counterparts, like Uncharted, where you literally can see every detail as they would be.

to that I'd reply that "Immersion" is all about getting the player feel like he's in the game, instead of observing a pixel-character on his screen moving around. Perfect immersion is achieved by making the player's imagination run wild, creating more content and context around the game's world than there's actually present.

This is especially effective and important in horror games; Silent Hill 1 on PS1 may not look that great anymore (even if it's visually quite high-end considering console's hardware), but the mixture of beautifully executed visual-design and the stunning sound-design create this haunting atmosphere.

This is why I can't always agree with "good graphix = better atmosphere and enjoyment" arguments, because showing EVERYTHING < showing little but teasing about the possibilities.

You guys ready for the next title?

youtube.com/watch?v=_ht4dbyPIcM

Always the best post in these threads. I emulated SH1 and played 4 on Xbox so those were great. only beat those two once though.

busy with Resident evII series

I went out without my dad's abortion pills once and it was awful.

It's out already.

There is even a new boss.

youtube.com/watch?v=LfZW4bypK4s

I never played any Silent Hill, should I?

Damn. That looks great.

What's going on?

>There is even a new boss.

The Chariot. Better than all Sh2 bosses combined, only on Silent Hill 2 Pachinko.

Do you like weird spooky stuff and shoving your hands into toilets?
Then yes.

I've never played it.
So yes I will.

get on that shit nigga and until you do please try not to spoil yourself.

That's mostly impossible for SH2 since almost everyone knows the "big twist" but all the little moments are still worth being surprised by.

>tfw never played a single silent hill game

the visible pop in during night time and fairly common slowdowns really do suck. harry's weird shaped legs also irk me a bit.

the fog and especially the nightmare areas still look pretty neat, though.

There's always time to start. Start with the original game.

>>you will never play the Silent Hill series
feels good

Yes.

If you expect to enjoy them then play in release order, otherwise start with 2. It's the best in the series and also doesn't really connect much with the story of 1 and 3.

Don't bother with 4 onwards.

I've never player it, but I want to. Was gonna pick up the HD collection a few years ago but..yeah.

nah I'm good, they all look like shit

Played* oops

>tfw still have pt installed

Sh2 is really good, but what I don't like about the series is that they gradually take away the more "open" sections of town as things progressed.

>SH1: three major town areas with a handful of locations to explore; items hidden in nooks and crannies
>SH2: two major town areas, far less areas to explore; little to no items hidden outside (but the game nonetheless dumps a million bullets into your lap)
>SH3: reuses ONE town portion from SH2, linear corridors + self-enclosed locations besides that; want ammo? hahaha go fuck yourself have fun with the weak katana for 8 hours
>SH4: never played it but you're like in an apartment room lol

Why was Silent Hill so fucking run down in 2?

I've heard it's bad, but didn't know the full extent of it. Holy shit, how did this happen?

In SH1, Alessa damaged everything, so it had to be rebuilt.

Konami simply does not care about artistry, literally not at all.

The town had a hard life.

>coal mine brings people to town
>coal mine closes, depressing economy
>town tries to sell itself as a tourist attraction
>boating accidents scare people away
>mayor and other restoration people die in "accidents"
>also is a portal to hell

So all that's left is druggies, autistic cult members, and the occasional tourist jumping down holes.

SH's blight brings to mind plenty of post-industrial shithole small towns across the USA. The remaining 50 or so residents probably voted for Trump or something lol

People left /died, and rest is just James' own broken mind painting it like so.

I honestly recommend reserving a couple hours of your free time to watch the TP's very thorough dissection video about the HD Collection. It's hilarious, sad, and very educating, all at the same time.

>How did this happen?
-job thrown to a no-name Mobile App studio with no console or PC game experience
-old source codes long lost, only alpha stage stuff was found
-....though the actually GOOD porting studios, like BluePoint, didn't even need any source codes in the first place. They reverse-engineered their HD ports out of retail PS2 discs!
-A gigantic dickhead with too big of an ego, Tomm Hulett, was given the title of the main producer and director for this mess. Pic related.
-What was first meant to be a HD port of SH2, for PS3 only, ended up being a multiplat release (Xbox360 port too) that was to include SH3 as well. And they had to magically try to fit all that data into ONE Xbox360 DVD.
-Konami didn't want to pay royalties to the old voice-actors, so they just called in new ones!

Pachinko is that frenetic.

> reverse-engineered their HD ports out of retail PS2 discs
holy shit, how?

>There are people that seriously skipped SH1, because "it's got bad graphix".
>These people consider themselves "SH fans"

By being good, that's how.

I'll take the chance to suggest you all to watch Channel Zero. I was afraid it would have ended up as a goofy "a bad dude did everything", I was so glad for the ending it suddendly became my favorite series thanks to the whole Silent Hill feeling it gave me.

SH1 is the only SH that made me feel dread when the city turned into the demonic side.

That fucking siren...

Is Tomm Hulett dead yet?

I wish for it every birthday

He's making dumb children games now

Devon Shanski is apparently doing nothing now after Downpour

When's your birthday, famdongus?

23 Sept. familium

I don't get to play a shit and clunky game again?

Yay me!

Did we ever find out why SH2 is so popular with women?

>MUH JAMES

I just missed out.
;_;

That's my parents anniversary
Wow I hate you

Devin Shatsky is a jew, which is why Downpour is so shit.

Thanks user, god bless your balls.

This post is for those playing the Silent Hill games on computer, right?

Nah, problem is every single developer that attempted to make SH games after The Room looked at SH2 as the go-to inspiration when it was originally an exception out of all four games.

Probably the rape scenes, plus women like the personal melodrama of the town because women have the "the world revolves around me" mentality.

Chicks dig sad love stories.
Some also want to get PH's gigantic, veiny D.

Correct. Just to make sure no poor soul wastes money on goddamn HD Collection.

I don't even have a PS3 so no problem.

Yes. If you really can't be bothered just emulate the PS2 versions.

>that image
What the fuck.
Why the fuck?

it was also on Xbox, where it's even worse.

...just now realized it?
Then again, I guess most people outside of EU never saw the Making Of SH2 video...

>If you really can't be bothered just emulate the PS2 versions.
PS2 emulation is far from perfect, and also required almost hundred times stronger PC than these PC ports.

There's pros and cons to all the different versions of these games, but the PC versions are mostly on the plus-side. Even more so with the latest fan-fixes, like the enhanced fog patch for SH2.

always found these "horror" games to be funny and dumb

literally only scary because the controls are trash

when you're raised on amazing FPS games like the original doom, shit 3rd person games just can't be interesting

Wasn't there only one Silent Hill game on XBOX though? I know you meant 360 but I'm running with it.

Also playing SH1 emulated. I keep jumping back and forth through them and never completed any.

>...just now realized it?
I always knew about the dress, but that pic is still creeping the hell out of me.

Low poly graphics and short rendering distance concealed by fog (black or in the case of SH, grey too) have this very creepy surreal quality to them, especially in early 3D games.

>Wasn't there only one Silent Hill game on XBOX though?
Two. SH2 and 4.
And yes, meant 360.

>I keep jumping back and forth through them and never completed any.
Just calm down and finish the original already. Don't even consider playing SH3 before you beat 1, preferable couple times.

The problem is that the average Westerner only played Sh2 due to Pyramid Head's popularity. Which results in everyone thinking Silent Hill is about this guilt trip and being judged with no substance to it.

>playing SH3 for the first time
>mfw my disc of SH3 starts freezing the game at the chapel area whenever I examine a document or painting

pure suffering. I was so close to the end...
I feel pissed that I ordered a replacement disc on ebay, but fuck me I've grown too fond of these games.

Already have a custom DVD-DL or BD25 with the Silent Hill games on it. Just never got around to really playing them except for a bit of SH3. Since I have a 360 controller, any XPadder map-outs for 2-Whichever?
Alright. Are the numbered including the one which takes place in an asylum for PC played in any specific order? Or just go through them as published? It's one of the few Konami series I never truly started. Even though I was a youngshit in the 1980's playing Castlevania, Contra, and the others. Never had the PS1, just a PC for that particular console generation.

They're installed on my computer but I keep playing the Fan Translated Symphony of the Night more often via the PS1 emulator.

>Fan Translated Symphony

>he doesn't even want to experience Richter's unbridled wrath

No thanks. Had Symphony of the Night in the 360 Arcade. Never owned a PlayStation since I had a computer that console generation so IDGAF.

>Are the numbered including the one which takes place in an asylum for PC played in any specific order?
I have a bit hard time following what you're saying here, but you should play SH games in the release order.
AND preferably ONLY play the original Team-Silent's games (1-4), and then forget the whole series. After SH4, Konami broke down TS, kept the IP, and started whoring it to numerous random western groups, resulting significant drop in quality.

All of the OG Silent Hill games I very much recommend playing multiple times. Besides some basic features of the genre and era, like multiple endings and unlockables, there are tons of details people tend to miss on the first playthrough. Some, even the first dozen playthroughs. In case of SH2 & 3, you can also shuffle up the experience further with the serparated Action- & Puzzle-difficulties.

The main pro-tips for these games would be taking your time, letting things sink-in, and not trying to kill everything that moves. Especially if you got room to just leg it / you can turn off the flashlight.

>Even more so with the latest fan-fixes, like the enhanced fog patch for SH2.

Fuck you PC mustards! The fog was the only pro the PS2 version had.

no joke, the "SOTN is a bad translation" thing is kind of more meme than reality. The script is mostly pretty good with a lot of great theatrical flourishes. People bitch about the voice-acting being hammy but it is memorable and fits the mood to a T.

sorry broski, gotta stay as the MASTER in this race.

youtube.com/watch?v=svTd7-VDfqc

Yeah it's 1-4 and Shattered Memories I have on the disc. It's ISOs. But I have played Resident Evil quite often over at mates houses. Bought myself a GameCube and XBOX that generation. Feel as though I'm a latecomer to Silent Hill.
Thought they were meant to be played in release order or story order.
Don't really care since I had a PC that generation. I'm sticking with the Fan Translation. The proper Japanese dialogue with retranslated text. Been playing Castlevania for NES since I was 8 in 1987.

Playing the series for the first time now. Started with SH2, I'm up to the part where you find Maria at the prison. Having a fucking great time. 10/10 atmosphere, story and sound design. I can't believe I never played this before, and I'm definitely playing the other ones after this (1~4, I mean. I might give the newer ones a try, but we'll see).

I'm a bit sad, though. I wish I had played these back when I was younger and more impressionable. Nowadays, these games just don't scare me. Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is fucking top notch, and it does manage to make me tense as fuck, especially with the sound design. It's just that there hasn't been a moment so far where I was genuinely scared to enter a room, or to approach a monster. I just go in and kill everything without much trouble (playing on normal though, I'll try hard mode after I beat the game).

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm loving this game to bits. I just wish I was more susceptible to the scare factor.

PS2 is the best version though. The only downside the PS2 version has is the flashlight's rendering which highlights the vertex geometry and doesn't have a defined outline like in the other ports. It's especially visible indoors.

>This cool thing wasted on fucking Pachinko.
Just bust my balls further, Konami.

I will, because I've never played them before. Which is the best one?

Post more Eric Andre.

Wow, looks like TS used the fog technique for opitimization in SH2 and 3 too.

youtube.com/watch?v=PI7EsNJoAdw

>Playing the series for the first time now.
>Started with SH2
Kill
Your
Self

Also, SH2 is THE mildest game in trilogy when it comes to horror and challenge. Normal mode is literally comparable to SH1's "Easy".

I played SH1 and 2 for the first time (on SH3 now), and SH1 was definitely more scary. SH2 has a few spooky moments and spikes of dread, but SH1 kept me worried and unnerved my entire first time - it's a very unpredictable game for a first-timer. SH2 also for some reason really gives you a shitton of ammo.

I also wish I was a younger kid playing SH2 since it probably would have spooked the shit out of me. SH3 has tense moments but the enemies are sometimes more exhausting than scary, because there is so little ammo in the game.

Silent Hill 2, Dark Souls and Symphony of The Night are probably the only single player games Ive l payed more than once. It was never the same again

I love SH1 and 2 equally. You should start with 1, it's the scariest of the bunch. SH2 is more refined and has a huge emphasis on psychological horror instead of body horror/nightmarish locales like SH1.

In which part does this thing appears anyway?

>these games just don't scare me
Outside of basic gameplay concepts, all 4 games are wildly different. If 2 isn't scaring you hard enough, maybe 1 or 3 will.

Silent Hill 1.
Which is the one you should start with too, obviously. And don't drop any of them after mere one playthrough either.

Grab 'em from:

>SH2 also for some reason really gives you a shitton of ammo.
This. I was conserving ammo until I noticed I had over 200 handgun bullets. Now I just use it most of the time for regular enemies and save the shotgun and rifle shells for bosses. I also have a fuckton of healing items too.

Good to know SH1 is scarier. I'll play it after I finish 2.

SH4 and Homecoming are literally unplayable garbage.

>literally

Oh buoy, here we go.

I'm going through SH4 right now and it really isn't THAT bad. Tedious, absolutely, but not unplayable.