What made video games from the 80s,90s, and 2000s so good?

What made video games from the 80s,90s, and 2000s so good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yt4KG9ib8S4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that we were young.

that and only autists who loved games in their purest forms made games. now all kinds of artfags and people who don't even like classic games are the ones making AAA games.

They were made by programmers and nerds not artists and "idea guys".

your mom

Less corporate structure.

1. You were younger
2. Games released with barely anything known about them, so there was plenty to discover
3. Fewer people discussing them on the internet besides college fags
4. Arcades, consoles and PCs each provided distinct experiences that weren't present on other platforms
5. They were just popular enough to justify larger budgets than the 70s but not so popular that they attracted everyone

you were a kid kys

What are you talking about? Late 2000s was shooter trash, late 90s was in the early days of 3d and it was janky. Games are finally starting to get good again (Doom, Souls)

men were the only demographic

/thread

no

Fuck off op, you've already been btfo
Sage

no

no hand holding, no follow the red line.

a lot more mid-budget projects where teams just did whatever came to mind
nowadays there's only the extremes of AAA blockbuster titles and low-budget indie pieces
also as a result of those mid-budget titles, newer game companies took what works and dropped what didn't so mainstream games have ended up pretty homogenized

you werent a depressed manchild back then

Most of them focused on gameplay over story.

Less corporate involvement.

While I'm no commie, big corporations like EA and Activision-Blizzard turned games from medium-sized studios that were willing to take some risks and worked on vidya as a passion, to taking no risks (don't wanna affect the stockholders), rehashing safe titles, and Chad Thundercock CEOs running the joint who don't know the first thing about video games by their own admission and got the job through cronyism

Nothing. It's the same effect as with older movies. You only remember (or only ever hear of if you weren't alive yet) the good stuff, and it gives you an illusion that everything was better back then.

I disagree. There was a definite huge concentration of great, classic games in 2000 alone.

Baldur's Gate 2. Diablo 2. Deus Ex. Perfect Dark. C&C Red alert 2. Banjo-Tooie. Majora's Mask.

Compare that to 2014, 2015, 2016. What great games can you name from that time?

It's not just confirmation bias/nostalgia. The recent years have been seriously lacking in good video games as large corporations control most of the major IPs.

LOL wtf?

The demographic was smaller allowing develpers more freedom in their work.

Also as children we were less critical of games.

This
And this

This too

dam....

rekt...

the inviroment was a lot more kid friendly......
and kids dont know whats good
so they made good stuff so they're taste didnt go sour.
it was for the kids back then now its not.
the kids have phone now!
no need for video...
so they feed us instead and they think we are not as important
that is why.

A filter of time.

there are far more bad games then, then there are now.

wrong dumbass, my dad was the one that bought me those sweet games and taught me how into computers.

republican presidents

In all honestly the devs are seldom the problem, the suits are.

>Clinton
>republican

Back then, the majority of developers tried to make the best game they could, and hope they made alot of money.

Nowadays, It's the other way around.

delusional

all correct. Games are too big now, when publishers say that a game needs to sell 10+ million copies then there's a serious problem. With bloated AAA shitfests, you can't take any risks so you end up with boring, generic cinematic interactive movies where a mediocre story and bad gameplay take precedence over gameplay (which also has to be greatly dumbed down). See new Tomb Raiders, Uncharted series, human revolution/mankind divided, new Hitmans, etc.

>implying I grew up on playstation

all other plataforms had solid games

>delusional

says the nostalgia baby.

delusional

ur mum is delusional for my cock

Back then developers used to make video games they wanted to make. Nowadays they make video games they think the """gamers""" want them to make. There's a quote often attributed to Henry Ford: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses". Modern devs are giving people faster horses because that's what they're asking for, but that's not what would actually bring them maximum enjoyment.

>It's a jaded autists who think all modern games are bad argues about the economic situation in vidya episode

Pretty much.

>Cut all this content and release NOW before Christmas or you don't get your bonus checks

Of course devs can be a problem too. Dragon Age: Cisquisition was a great example of the perfect storm of retarded, unskilled developers and a greedy corporate publisher.

dumb weebposter

The nostalgia argument falls apart when you take into account people like me who are underage (ban me) who enjoy playing old games they never did as kids more than new releases

nothing.
you just consume the shit that they pour on your plate and don't know whats good or where to find it.

die

Or when you're not underage but missed out on PC games since you were a consolefag as a kid, and enjoy old PC games much more than shitty AAA games and most indie games today.

this argument falls apart when you realize that you're not playing "old games" you're playing hand picked old games that were good for their time.

if you grew up in the era you would know that for every Doom there were 100 somethings that were bad that I can't seem to remember off the top of my head.

And there's nothing good today and 100 something bad games too.

Back then you got 100 great games and 100 shit ones, now you get 0 good games and 100 shit ones.

Never mind, you're a teen. Not like you'd know.

There is nothing coming out that people will look back on as a masterpieces anymore

>And there's nothing good today and 100 something bad games too.
Bloodborne

Go on, tell me it's bad

bad game

Every youngfag thinks he's special because he plays old games and then announces to the world that he likes them.
No one fucking cares, also enjoy your ban,

>And there's nothing good today

Ahahahaha. Fuck kid, I hope to God this bait. Please tell me you're not a fucking le wrong generationer What's next, you'll tell me how no band today compares Pink Floyd and The Smiths?

you were kids, you didn't mind what was wrong with the games.

I don't "think" all modern games are bad, I know that most modern games are bad.

This year we saw such fascinating titles as Battleborn, fucking No Man's Sky, Mafia 3, Pokemon #34567 with multiple issues, Dark Souls 3 which is the worst Souls game in every area but graphically.

Name me some good games from the last 3 years.

I can name splatoon, witcher three, rocket league, r6 siege, bloodborne, alien isolation. That's an average of 2 good games per year out of thousands of titles.

The shovelware on Steam Greenlight is increasing at an alarming rate daily, and nearly all of it is barebones, borderline broken trash.

huheheehehehehehe

You're a piece of shit

name a better game released the same year

Confirmation bias.
I lived through the 90s and there were always bad games.

bad game

The one and only reason:

Emergent gameplay.

It's relevant to the discussion and that's why I mentioned it

>you'll tell me how no band today compares Pink Floyd and The Smiths?
Fucking rock fags. Rock should've died with Elvis. You listen to real classical shit, like Mozart and Beethoven.
Fucking hate the post-1950 generations.

please hand pick 10 games released in 2015, which people will talk about in 15 years. Bonus points if they're genre-defining.

Let's take a look at 1999 for comparison:
Quake 3
Unreal Tournament
Super Smash Bros
Silent Hill
Final Fantasy VIII
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Everquest
Team Fortress Classic
Baldur's Gate
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Counterstrike
System Shock 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Homeworld
Freespace 2
Chrono Cross
Medal of Honor
Shenmue
Planescape: Torment
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Mario Party

name a better game from the 2000s

Nice, very enlightened post you gentlesir. The anime image really sells it.

And that counterargument has already been addressed. See and .

There were more classics in a single year of 2000 than there were in 2014, 2015 and 2016 combined.

Deus Ex.

>who enjoy playing old games they never did as kids
>playing games you never played that are completely different from games you have played leads to a joyful experience
who would've knew

Thank you, I'm a supreme gentleman. See you at the PoliSci lectures, fellow enlightened hero. Together we will smash theism.

I disagree, there are a very few things coming out that could be called masterpieces.

Not all new games are bad, "okay", or mediocre. Just the majority.

>released in 2015
thats like asking me to tell you 10 games that from 1982 that everyone will love 15 years from now. At least give him something to work with like 2011 or 2016

Soul.

Same genres. They are simply better made and more fun, there is no logic otherwise in this situation no matter how you try to justify it. Gaming and films are becoming more and more streamlined and sterile

>Super Smash Bros
Only smash bros game people care about is Melee.
>Mario Party
lol, no one talks about the original mario party, and I beg you to tell me how a game like this or even smash bros 1 or fucking pro skater 1 is better than Bloodborne.

Ignore the ones without sequels and tell me which of those are still talked about?

I'm saying that because sequels revitalize their popularity.

I might give you one for ff7 though, but that is extreme nostalgia talking for a lot of people.

If you don't want to ignore the sequel tell the ones that are talked about directly, and not as the series as a whole.

I think a lot of reasons, firstly like a lot of people have already said, you were younger so have a more rose-tinted view of games you played as a kid, but there is also stuff like just how corporatised a lot of games developers have become to the point where it's better for them to make games that will appeal to the most people and make the most money, which is fine, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it means that a lot of companies will just make games without much experimentation or vision behind them because they just want profits following the latest gaming trend, especially given the high costs of making a game now compared to decades ago, think of how much more intensive games nowadays are compared to before. I also think a lot of people working on video games nowadays are embarrassed to be working on them so try everything in their power to make them less about the game and more of a "cinematic experience" which I really find to be just sad. Lastly I think it's how gaming has become more and more popular there has been a larger attempt to make games seem "normal" and "acceptable" through either making them with that mass appeal to an older audience or in making the game "ironic" to be laughed off by their hipster buddies that has sucked some of the passion out of the industry.

Despite this there are still plenty of people making great games, there isn't a shortage of people who make great games and there are even big studios that make good games, but I just feel there's an air of pretension around video games nowadays where there used to be a sort of "quaintness", I mean, can you imagine a game like Netstorm being made nowadays? I feel the atmosphere of games development has just moved on past these weird little titles with a lot of vision and passion and I would really like to see it come back.

I don't "think" all modern games are bad, I know that most modern games are bad.

This year we saw such fascinating titles as Battleborn, fucking No Man's Sky, Mafia 3, Pokemon #34567 with multiple issues, Dark Souls 3 which is the worst Souls game in every area but graphically.

Name me some good games from the last 3 years.

I can name splatoon, witcher three, rocket league, r6 siege, bloodborne, alien isolation. That's an average of 2 good games per year out of thousands of titles.

The shovelware on Steam Greenlight is increasing at an alarming rate daily, and nearly all of it is barebones, borderline broken trash.

>Bonus points if they're genre-defining
How the fuck would anyone know that a certain game is "genre-defining" if it's only a year old?

>implying

Only people that consistantly understood game design in 80's was Nintendo. Everyone else was floundering around, making it up as they went along.

90's brought the growing pains of 3D
PS1 didn't even launch with a god damn analog stick on it's controller
Sega flopped itself out of the console race

Every generation has its up and downs, we just talk about the ups from old gens because its all we care about.

Go shove your 2 cent opinion up your shit encrusted sphincter you faggot.

The best piece of shit in a pile of shit is still shit.

Bloodbourne's alright, though, I'm just pointing out how your argument is retarded.

Bloodborne is a better game than deus ex.

unless you're a story gamer.

>films are becoming more and more streamlined and sterile
What time span are we talking about here? Films began WAY before games. I can sorta understand saying SMBros1 is better than SMarioMaker(even though that's bullshit), but you can't tell me that the original King Kong is better than the remake.

Modern films are worlds better than older films. Past 20 years is a goldmine for films. There's probably only a very small select few titles from the 40s-70s era that compete with all the greta shit released post-1990.

wow looks like the teenager got triggered

The only new genre post-2015 are walking-simulators.

not him but at a glance I still see Planescape: Torment mentioned all the time on Sup Forums

Tell me whats so good about that game.

also that fact that the supposed good games shit all over the supposed good games now.

>Modern films are worlds better than older films. Past 20 years is a goldmine for films. There's probably only a very small select few titles from the 40s-70s era that compete with all the greta shit released post-1990.

I've never read a worse opinion in my life and I browse Sup Forums

Industry boom, lots of competition. Same thing that happened to movies, now look at this pitiful position of both of them.

He's right you know.

Don't samefag.

There's literally no argument I'm making. I told you to name a better game and you come back with shit like "uhm, all the games are bad, so naming one that's slightly less bad is a waste of le time! :^]"

Retarded kids itt.

Smaller budgets.

Less resources were spent on making the graphics and cinematic experiences.

Also the industry was less mainstream and by extension coporatized.

lol roasted

Nice argument.

Did it hurt your feelings faggot? You gonna post about it in your blog?

Why did my sister
my grandmother
and my mother all played NES till 5 am sometimes at my house then

youtube.com/watch?v=yt4KG9ib8S4

Name 5 NES games bestter than their modern day counter-part.