What would it take for a person to be able to accomplish a 1 credit run in Touhou?

What would it take for a person to be able to accomplish a 1 credit run in Touhou?

Skill and reflexes, proportionally to the difficulty they chose

Which one would be the best to begin with?

Lots and lots of practice and dedication.

The problem with 2hu is that the hit boundaries aren't mapped to the sprite, so you are always clipping with projectiles that don't hurt you.

Half a brain, seriously it's not that difficult.

When you hold shift for focused movement your actual hitbox shows up, there's minimal guess work here. Just avoid daggers holy shit fuck those hitboxes.

Practice

square hit box=?
round hit box=?

determination

7, Perfect Cherry Blossom.
Some people will tell you to start with 6 because it's the first in the windows series and has the simplest patterns. This is a meme.

7 has the right difficulty for newcomers and provides you with all you need to know of the series' mechanics. It's also just a great game.

I almost 1CC'd Imperishable Night on normal mode, but Yuyuko destroyed my ass.

elder tier autism

Not that guy and i don't play 2hou but if i had guess.
square hit box = damage
round hit box = grazing area

nah grazing is way bigger
damage may be

My first time on normal CC with SA took me a couple of weeks worth of practice. I don't the modern Sup Forums audience has that sort of dedication.

There's plenty of people that browse these threads that have a lot of skill. You don't see them often though because the threads usually suck shit.

Hence the word "modern".

Fair enough.

square hitbox = touhou 6-12 hitbox
round = touhou 13+

I have a 300 ms reaction time, some of the worst hand eye coordination known to man, and I'm also a fucking retard with a shitty memory who's awful at everything including video games but even I managed to somehow 1cc EoSD on hard and every other 2hu game up till now on normal. I even cleared EoSD's extra since it happens to be one of easiest extra stages. I cleared MoF's extra stage as well but I only did it with the Marisa B glitch.

A lot of practice depending on the difficulty you chose.

A normal 1cc for me is two-three weeks of practice. I only managed my hard 1cc of EoSD with the extra lives turned on. It just needs a lot of fucking practice to master it.

Memorisation and experience with general dodging/spacing skills being secondary

People who are shit at shmups and have never played anything difficult will tell you that it's all about good dodging skills and reflexes and shit, but it isn't. Watch some replays of good players, copy what they do, practice it over and over until you can do what they do. Reflexes and shit only really come into play when you're improvising and you will only be doing that in easy or random parts, and even then it's usually just simple shit like streaming and knowing where to be.

>it's not about skill
>just copy what the good players do until you're as skilled as them
Memorizationfags are this stupid.

This isn't unusual at all in bullet hells, it's gradius type games where hitboxes generally correspond to the sprite.

>recommending strategy copying for a basic fucking clear
kys fag not to mention good replays will focus on scoring which makes sections needlessly difficult for a new player

It's true, it is quite common in harder games for patterns to become unavoidable if you don't manipulate the shots properly, and that is pure memorisation. You cannot improvise that.

Shmups are not about being loose and wild flying all over the place and dodging shit, it's about strategy and knowing where to be and how to beat each pattern. Your kind of strategy only works on very easy games and even then almost everyone who 1ccs does so by memorising strategies for stages and bosses to make dodging as easy as possible, not by improving their 'soft skills' in the genre (which do help, but not as much as many people pretend)

That doesn't mean anyone should copy good replays like a fucking monkey. Figuring out how attacks function, forming a strategy and then practicing your execution is part of the fun when practicing these games. Unlike with scoring you don't need to worry about your strategies not being optimal when just going for a clear, blind experimentation isn't really a massive waste of time there.

What you say applies to any fucking game you fucking idiot. Memorization is part of any videogame but the easiest as the element of having to know what to do, when and where is something that's ever present. But raw skills are also incredibly important because otherwise you don't get to do shit in the first place, no matter how much you memorized it.

Go play Ninja Gaiden or the Prinny games and stop acting like you know a damn thing about how shmups work, let alone videogames in general.

I started playing touhou in my 30's. My reaction times are shit and I'd never played bullet hell games before then. Even I can 1cc the games.

Its really just about having a plan for everything, even if your plan for a pattern is "bomb this because I can't dodge". Practice every day. If you're having trouble with a pattern, experiment with moving and not moving and see what changes. Use the goddamn stage or spellcard practice to work on the specific things you find difficult.

There's no special hidden secret talent or anything. You just work at the games and eventually you have a plan for everything that gives you trouble.

The clever comment at the end isn't really justified considering you basically said 'You're right BUT'

It is more important in shmups, particularly more difficult ones, because they can and often do force the player into unavoidable hits and hits are much more severe, and memorisation will frequently take you from extremely difficult territory to completely trivial.

You can kind of see a parallel in fighting games, a player with solid fundamentals can win in certain types of games that are very forgiving of mistakes and do not have a huge burden of knowledge to function, Street Fighter being an example. However, take the same approach into games with touch of death and a design that expects you to know the properties of a move to have any hope of defending, and you have a game where the player who sat in training mode for hours will beat the much more fundamentally skilled player cleanly every time.

Most games are not like that, you can feasibly beat Castlevania 1 without using a continue without memorisation of boss attacks and enemy patterns becuase the games are lenient with hits and also do not force you into unavoidable situations from lack of knowledge, or do so very rarely. Shmups are not like that at all.

I don't know why I'm bothering explaining honestly because if you were someone it wasn't wasted on it wouldn't need explained in the first place but there you go, I await your epic one liner reply

>implying I'm going to read all that shit
lmfao ur wrong and i'm right, deal with it nerd

Right back at you, I don't know why I'm putting any effort replying to a likely underage faggot who thinks he knows anything about games because he was told something obvious.

You're still assuming your epic "muh memorization" shit applies only to shmups when that's not the case at all. You can beat ANY game in your first try if you were lucky and/or skilled enough. That doesn't mean you will. Having a higher punishment for failure or a higher difficulty in general doesn't change a thing.

>particularly more difficult ones
More like mostly the more difficult ones because overall the genre allows for plenty of improvisation, and you can very easily get a basic clear/1-ALL with only a general idea of what to do in certain sections. The only times you're gonna have to memorize heavily is when you move on to second loops and absurd difficulty modes

autism

Well it's a problem with all bullethells then.

How is it a problem. You can just dodge the actual sprites most of the time, and all it does then is make the game more lenient.

Because there's no way the sprite isn't clipping in OP's image. That's a problem.

The character hitbox becomes visible as soon as you hold down a button. How is it a problem?

>sprite isn't representative of the hitbox
Do I need to explain this in detail or something?

Every game under the sun does this, its standard. But unlike most games Touhou makes it a non issue by drawing another sprite to represent the hitbox so you get all the information you need. What is the problem?

why is this character shown using a computer so much

>every game does this
Most games aren't like bullethell where 1 pixel mistakes can get you rekt. Additionally most games try to make the hit boundaries match the sprite instead of just being a square or circle.
>2hu shows you the hitbox
Why have a sprite at all then? All it does it lead to confusion and reliance on showing the hitbox rather than the default sprite.

because your hitbox is a 5x5 dot, and would be invisible in the morass of bullets

>Why have a sprite at all then?
It causes no confusion because its a self explanatory mechanic and is presented fine. The issue with hitboxes not matching up with sprites is the fact that it deprives players of necessary information, Touhou does not have this problem because you can see the hitbox whenever you want. The sprite is there for many reasons, some aesthetic and some most likely practical because it makes tracking the characters much easier. Same applies to bullets, you get to keep then clearly visible and impressive looking while minimizing the danger involved. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, youre confusing your preference with actual issues. And this is coming from someone who prefers Rayforce style ship and bullet hitboxes

Maybe you're right and it is just my own personal issues with sprites not matching hitboxes. I would certainly play more touhou if it was the case though.

One to a dozen hours depending on natural skills and prior experience with the genre.

>my first 1cc took me several weeks
fuck you too user

You guys always say youre good at these games but you never post webms ever...reall makes you think

Basically this. Just add general pattern memorization

I'm sorry user. I'm sure you did your best!

Probably like a month or two of consistent amounts of practice, plotting your course through the stages, learning where enemies come from and how they attack, learning boss's attack patterns and planning when to use your bombs.

It's not as hard as it seems. My first Touhou 1cc was EoSD Normal (ReimuA) and it took about a month, then after that I 1cc'd PCB Normal (SakuyaB I think) in about a week, and IN Hard (Magic Team) in a couple of weeks.

Hell it'd probably be even faster if you watch other 1cc replays and take note of the strategies and routes they use.

I wouldn't say it necessarily gets progressively easier (depends heavily on which games you're playing), but since Touhou is typically the entryway to shmups for newcomers, their first one can take quite a while before they really get used to it, compared to someone well-versed in bullet hells prior to playing Touhou.

I wish all Touhou threads were as good as this one.

Fuck I wish I was good at these but I can't even beat the stupid red plane shooter on my old plug and play console, or the space one (fucking shots hitting from behind).

Even the most braindead of persons can 1cc Imperishable Night.

Then Extra stage fucks you sideways, but still.