What went so wrong?

What went so wrong?

Being able to beat the game within the first 2 minutes of loading it.

kinda shitty levelup system
passwords add nothing to the game

Not much. Game is great, people just meme on it because it's the least played mainline game so it has no defense force.

They tried the polar opposite of FF1 because series was still looking for what it wanted to be. I personally liked it, but I also like SaGa series which it pretty gave birth to. People tend to forget both FF1 and FF2 suffered from the same problems like trap rooms and crazy encounter rates combined with mandatory grinding. PSP version are the versions you should play if you ever want to try them out. I think it's amusing that FF2 stands out more because it's an oddity vs FF1 which is just a very basic JRPG when you look at it now.

Yo check out this post here and the subsequent comments from the same poster. Hit me right in the feels man and this is the first thread I saw I'm catalog and you fuckers are doing exactly what he talked about

Kawazu was too inexperienced when he was making it. That's pretty much it.

>I personally liked it, but I also like SaGa series which it pretty gave birth to.
I can't believe I never actually put the two together.

Disregard this man, do not play the PSP version of FFI. Play PSX or Wonderswan.

FFII PSP is fine, likely the best version of that one.

Fuck that guy. FF2 is indeed one of the worst FF games. Leveling stats in it was fucking awful and unbalanced. You either didn't understand the mechanic and ended up with shitty party members, or you did understand it and quickly grinded everyone into gods.

How the fuck did you not? FF2's lead designer was Kawazu and he's the main man behind SaGa and always has been.

>it's the least played mainline game so it has no defense force.

You've been living in a cave

I agree with that poster except I've been here since 2005

It's no secret that Sup Forums hates games and shits on them because of weird tribalistic status wars, but there's no where else like here so I'm still around even though it's only gotten worse.

Nig u wot

more like it's the only game you can't really play without understanding the system, which wards away the usual core retards. you underestimate how many people just go through games not understanding half they should and somehow wing it.

It's not great. It's really obvious that the devs had no fucking clue how powerful you were supposed to be for each area or what skillsets you were going to have and that hurts the game a lot, especially if you're comparing it to the SaGa games which never ever EVER have this problem.

>especially if you're comparing it to the SaGa games which never ever EVER have this problem.
I can't even tell if you're being serious anymore.

This is true about the NES version but not the remakes

Which is what most people here are going to be playing anyways.

I'm not saying that discussion of the original isn't worthwhile but when fixed versions of the game exist it feels kinda silly to talk down the game collectively.

It's still just as true of the remakes.

> incoherent stat and weapon grinding
> 3 player characters have no development
> every other party member dies or leaves making any skills you gave them worthless
> Ultima is useless unless you max out all stats
> final boss is weak to a blood sword
> the emperor of hell is weak to a blood weapon
At least Minwu is a good healwife

That's either not the case at all or I've been retardedly lucky

>incoherent
>DO THING MORE TO GET GOOD AT THING

How is that hard to understand?

the way you progress in the game is really shitty and the world map sucks, you visit every village in about 2/3 of the game, the dungeons also suck, and your 4th party member is replaced constantly

What is the best FF game to buy off the Steam sales?

Never played FF before and would like to know what the fuss is about.

Stack evasion the game. All other stats are secondary.

Ok now how are you supposed to know that in-game?
Also how the fuck does Agility increase?

Your father forgot to put on the condom.

The games are all different from one another and the concept of "best" varies immensely. Off Steam, get either VII or IV. IV is the one with fairly rigid character growth and whose plot and setting could be considered the most "average" of the series, and VII is the one most people in the west first got to play, has a fairly free-form character growth system and a dieselpunk setting.

Alternatively, there's also Final Fantasy VI, but by all that is holy DON'T play the Steam version, it's based off the mobile version whose "updated graphics" are a crime against mankind

Manual, like where you always learned game mechanics for any game in the 80s

AGI goes up from being swung at. Game checks dodge = practice dodging. I don't actually know this but assumed it was true when I was playing

Disregard this man. The GBA version is best version for both games. Not only that but it is on the same rom and being GBA it is also the most flexible and lightweight platform.

Disregard this man.

GBA version has MP instead of Spells per day, ruining balance and removing one of the unique aspects about FFI that makes it worth playing instead of just being a weaker version of FFIII with a different story.

Disregard this man
Vancian Magic is highly overrated in Vidya

Disregard this man

He has shit taste and doesn't want you to judge for yourself anyways

Emulate the PS1 version. It's better than 1 and 3 by far. It's really not even that bad. I don't get all the hate 2bh.

I think at this point, it's just a meme to call FFII the worst FF. I'd give that title to X-2.

Regard this cute girl.

Just download a PS emulator and play the anthology for free. They're good games.

Terrible combat, boring story.

>defeat heaven AND hell
>come back to rule the world

Why was Mateus best boy?

FFX-2 has an amazkng battle system to offset the garbage though

Worst FF is probably Ring of Fates or something.

Cannot confirm but I hear in the novel the reveal that his whole family is cursed to turn evil and he spent most of his life resisting the curse and being a benevolent as fuck ruler so when hendid go evil he went MAX EVIL from all the build up which is pretty fucking tragic

OP here. I made this thread because I knew it was the only way to get you guys to talk about this game. Anyway, I just got done finishing it and man was it disappointing. The encounter rate is fucking atrocious and there really is no point to the level up system. I mean, what would be the point of using something like "holy" late in the game when you already have more powerful spells? Would grinding really be the only option? Also I was disappointed in the villain too. I mean in game. We barely see him and he doesn't even have an imposing presence. Was pretty cool how he conquered hell and heaven though

Sorry for the blog post. I played the GBA version btw, if the psp version is significantly better I might play it another time.

you basically never hear anyone discuss it because ff2 has this unjust "skip it, it's bad" reputations as a final fantasy game.

Ring of Fates isn't even on the playing field when fucking Final Fantasy Explorers exists.

nothing. GBA version is pretty good. beautiful game.

this.

you guys are being too harsh.

>Also I was disappointed in the villain too. I mean in game. We barely see him and he doesn't even have an imposing presence. Was pretty cool how he conquered hell and heaven though

I cannot agree with this at all. My favorite part about FFII is how Mateus and the empire in general fucking crushes your hopes and your friends at every fucking turn. Every single rebel plan goes arwy and gets fucked up or was a trap or required someone's sacrifice. Then you finally kill the fucker and EVEN THEN he's not done and claws his way out of fucking hell. Mateus is on your ass more than almost any FF antagonist this side of Exdeath.

Eh, I liked Explorers' skill customization system a lot.

>Every single rebel plan goes arwy and gets fucked up or was a trap or required someone's sacrifice
Most of those could more or less be attributed to the empire rather than the Emperor. I mean, if there was more build up to his appearance and if he did things more personally imo he'd be a GOAT villain. I mean, for instance, how many times do we see the guy? Rarely. At least with exdeath, he pops so many times personally to fuck your shit up.

Also, did he even do anything when he did become king of hell? All he really does is kill Ricard

I think it would be a lot better received today when upgrading your skills by using them isn't such a radical idea anymore. Speaking of which, will FF1 and FF2 finally make it to Steam in 2017?

>Weapon grinding is a chore
>Decide to unequip
>Breeze through the game using nothing but bare hands
You should pretty much only play this game for the story. Gotta say having access to the entire map was great hough. Always funny when you walk too far in the wrong direction and get your shit pushed in.

That's fair, but I really see the empire as something of an extension of Mateus and his plans.

I see the very same complaint leveled against Vayne in FF12 - they're emperors and their lives don't revolve around you. They have better shit to do. Kuja in FF9 is one of these ridiculous examples where he keeps popping up wherever you go just for the players' benefit. I disagree with that approach, but that's just me.

what's wrong with the psp version?

They significantly altered the MP system in GBA onward.

Literally everything, it's legit the only objectively bad game in the franchise.

All this hate just makes me want to play it. Sup Forums is probably just wrong as usual.

I'm up way too fucking late and getting loopy and so I leave you all with this unfiltered fanboy post:

FFII's story and mechanics were ambitious as FUCK for the NES and JRPGs of the time and you're all unappreciative assholes for memeing on it all the time. It ks a triumph who's flaws are largely fixed in the remakes and it doesn't deserve your ire.

it deserves all of it and more actually, it's abortion tier and it's so bad I'm shocked the FF brand even survived after it to allow them to make FF3.