youtube.com/watch?v=ikaB3Hs3UXw
youtube.com/watch?v=-vKJjCGbYzQ
arcsystemworks.jp/technos/
youtube.com/watch?v=hJx8CfolQe4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why are the graphics so bad?
I don't want to see old shit
I didn't spend 500 fucking dollars to run something that looks like garbage

It looks like indy trash, except it's even worse when a legit company does it. Better be f2p or under a buck or else it's a rip off.

>I don't want to see old shit

12 year old detected.

Graphics look fine.

Can't wait to give it a try.

Looks like shit desu. Even as a retro throwback, why the fuck would it be the NES versions instead of the arcade? Also should have been a successor to Advance, not the simplistic boring NES crap.

Double Dragon Neon was better

>why the fuck would it be the NES versions instead of the arcade?

More recognizable.

>2D
>Music probably takes a step back into that synthesized retro stuff

But why

youtube.com/watch?v=WhIYZcY_bHk

youtube.com/watch?v=p8ToN2qjIkk

This.

If your new franchise sequel game is gonna have an 8bit inspired aesthetic, there should be at least some effort put into it.

Compare this to river city ransom underground, and you will see how big the gap in quality between those too is.

One would expect a game made by the original double dragon staff would look better than that, even if it is 8bit styled.

>But why

There is a charm to using chiptunes that you just don't get using real instruments.

Understandable if you don't care for it, but a lot of people do.

~le 8bit retro pixel CANCER.

I'm tired of NES-inspired graphics. The game looks like indie crap while the 80's aesthetic would look amazing in high resolution sprites.

BIMMY
I
M
M
Y

>If your new franchise sequel game is gonna have an 8bit inspired aesthetic, there should be at least some effort put into it.

>New levels that look as if they are straight out of DD2
>New attack animations for Lee brothers
>New enemies
>No effort

Nigga wut?

>Compare this to river city ransom underground

Arc Systems is involved in both, so I'm not understanding this argument.

Also: River City Underground is being made to look like a sequel to River City Ransom, which, when comparing RCR to DD2, looks more vibrant and detailed already.

It's not the just aesthetic, it's the gameplay too. Arcade version was a more straightforward pure beat em up instead of a halfcooked awkward platformer

FOLLOW ME

FOLLOW ME

I like both DD2 and DD3 on NES more than arcade versions, though.
Guess it's is just depends on taste.

This, Neon wasn't the greatest game ever but they actually tried to make a good game.

>use the nes graphics
>Won't release in a nintendo console

What sort of Nostalgia does the PC crowd or the PS4 user base has for these sprites?

That...that is kind of a letdown after Double Dragon Neon

I would have preferred battletoads and double dragon neon.

>What sort of Nostalgia does the PC crowd or the PS4 user base has for these sprites?

Some played the NES? Or emulated DD2?

Not everyone who owns a PS4 is 12 years old.

And some people using Steam (on PC mind you) are probably doing so because older-style games only seem to appear on Steam these days.

Man, why it couldn't be a neon sequel?

youtube.com/watch?v=mnhZ19G_2YI

>Double Dragon IV
>Not basing it on the superior arcade versions.
Why? Even Double Dragon Advance knew better. And it's the same people who worked on them too.

The AC version of Double Dragon was pretty popular back in its day.

Looks like dogshit, Mega Man 9 was fine because the sprites in NES MM titles looked really colorful for the system. This on the other hand looks horrible.
Fucking this.

>tfw a single person could replicate Double Dragon IV in Game Maker with zero budget

YOU LOVE IS CALLING ME

CALLING ME

I never understood why people preferred DD2NES over DD2AC. DD2AC was just like the first game, but way better.

I think there's been quite a few fangame versions of Double Dragon IV using NES-style graphics already.

I like that they're sticking to the original 8-bit format. Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

>The AC version of Double Dragon was pretty popular back in its day.

I don't deny that it was. But less people played it versus the NES version because not enough arcades had DD to drop quarters into, compared to how many people played the NES version. Or the Master System version.

I wouldn't be surprised if Double Dragon Advance was most people's first experience with DD arcade. And I do not think it did as well as the old school NES version back when it initially came out.

>I would have preferred battletoads
Blame Microsoft. They won't let Rare do a proper sequel to any of it's games.

>and double dragon neon.
I don't deny it was a good game. But people were complaining when it came out as well.

Seems like there are two camps of DD fans who are constantly bickering towards each other over how a sequel is supposed to be approached.

However, I think we can all agree that the OTHER Double Dragon release that came out was fuckin' abysmal, as no one ever mentions it.

youtube.com/watch?v=yAj3es5YEzk

And if you actually played it, you know why.

>DD in 2017

>youtube.com/watch?v=yAj3es5YEzk
This is the first time I even heard of this.

Shit. It must have been pretty bad.

I don't know too. I just like it.

>Based on the NES version
>Uses Arcade-style character designs on the promo art.
This triggers my autism. On the original NES games, Billy was red haired and Jimmy was a blondie.

Neon was fine, even if they over did it with the 80's satire. Besides, Double Dragon was never really that consistent of a franchise, considering they couldn't even keep the Lee brothers' hair colors consistent between versions.

Forgot my image.

That's pretty cool and will surely satisfy Double Dragon fans.

Man, i wish Capcom did the same with Final Fight.

DD2NES was a fine game with its own merits, but the arcade version doesn't get enough love.

>that basic as fuck synth music

>Neon was fine, even if they over did it with the 80's satire

The fact that it was so over the top with it was very enjoyable, I thought. But I can see how some people on the younger side wouldn't get it, and get annoyed by it.

>considering they couldn't even keep the Lee brothers' hair colors consistent between versions.

Jimmy with blue hair was a thing. Console limitations, I'm sure. But I will never unsee it.

It went out good with 3. The later games never happened.

I would've liked Final Fight Tough better if it had a true CPS2 sequel to the arcade original and not a straight-to-Super NES thing. At least there's Cadillacs and Punisher for that though.

>We'll never get a dead IP with a proper ASW touch ever again.
I just want another Hard Corps Uprising.

youtube.com/watch?v=dCXuzqlCyCQ

Posting the GOAT DD game

I wish they made a Final Fight 4 with all the trilogy playable characters and 2D graphics slightly better looking and more colorful than the arcade original.

It's not just the hair color switch-ups though. Most of the console versions had different plot and characters.

Like in DD1AC the main bad guy was Machine Gun Willy, but on DD1NES he's just the last lackey you fight before the showdown with your brother. And then the Lee brothers are both good guys again in the NES sequel without any explanation for Jimmy's heel-face turn.

Everyone interested in video games in the late 80s and even early 90s had a NES or one of its clones. Besides you're a fool if you think this new sequel won't get ported to as many systems as possible.

>some people on the younger side wouldn't get it, and get annoyed by it.
More like people on the younger side are the ones who like it, as it is how they see the 80's.

That is not Rage of the Dragons user

youtube.com/watch?v=NUynkHLn-AQ

This would've been awesome. They could've based it on the unmade Double Dragon/Kunio crossover Technos planned for PS1 before they went out of business.

>no Final Fight IV
WAKE ME UP

>Besides you're a fool if you think this new sequel won't get ported to as many systems as possible.
It's annoying they skipped out on an Xbone version. They did the same shit with Wild Guns Reloaded.

Dumping Satoshi Tajiri's review of Double Dragon.

WG doesn't have nearly as much brand recognition as DD. It'll be like Mega Man 9 & 10 again.

2/3

3/3

Yeah, but why would they skip out the Xbone at launch?

I wish they had based the new entry on the ac version, but i'll take what i can get.

Because companies are averse to risk so just in case it flops they're launching it first on the current gen systems with the bigger install base, and Microsoft seems okay with this as long as the games launch on PC.

well, they are actually trying to test the waters in a way.

we got this game, as good or bad as it is.
and also DD got recognition, albeit in a weird way in RCR SP with the Fighting of double dragon 2016 game.

if this new DD4 sells well, and if RCR SP sells well too, maybe that game can actually come to fruition one day.

Might as well dump his Renegade review too.

2/3

3/3

>Implying it's not the PC Engine version of Double Dragon II
youtube.com/watch?v=AX9w3cqQcF8

Arcsys should make not a GG/BB crossover only, but an massive Arc crossover fighting game, at least featuring all of its action/fighitng series

as in GG, BB, Kunio and DD, and if they manage to get the rights to use the characters of its licenced games (FoTN, Basara, Persona4) would be excellent.

If they get the rights to Basara, they might as well just do ASW vs. Capcom while they're at it. Wasn't Sammy vs. Capcom a thing at one point?

Double Dragon IV? What happened to the one on SNES, then? I know it was actually called Return of Double Dragon or Super Double Dragon, but then they went and made "Double Dragon V" based on the ugly ass FOR MIGHT FOR RIGHT cartoon.

it's just sound business, game come out in a month you're not going to release the game on 2 dead Nintendo platforms 3 months before their new system comes out.

I'm sure a Switch version will drop later if there's demand for it.

also they have overpriced arcade ports of DD 1&2 on PS4

>I know it was actually called Return of Double Dragon or Super Double Dragon
Kishimoto (the Double Dragon creator) said in an interview that he doesn't count it as part of the arcade/NES canon. It was supposed to be a reboot of the series.

>but then they went and made "Double Dragon V" based on the ugly ass FOR MIGHT FOR RIGHT cartoon.
Technos had nothing to do with Double Dragon V. That was made by Tradewest, the company that had the Double Dragon license in the U.S.

that art looks like shite

Yeah it looks like a bad fanart take on the Double Dragon II flyer art.Not sure why they didn't just track down the original artist. I'm sure she's still around.

Thought I was looking at a fan rom of dd 2.

Seems like a step back, why not continue in the style of Advance or Neon?

neon was garbage

Maybe it'll be like Mario Maker and you can change the art style.

I've noticed the red guy is on the Player 1 side in the trailer.

Looks like cash-in

No thanks, this cries lazy cash grab. Should have did Neon 2 instead. It does look shit and will sell like shit.

would have preferred arcade game graphics, but all of the whining makes me glad they made it the way they did, because it's fine

Advance style looks would've been nice,

i had a dd cabinet in my grocery store as a kid
i played it a lot

This whole 8 bit graphic trend was kind of cool...8 years ago...but now it's just lame...I want 16 bit graphics instead.

Barf...why can't they make it look like the arcade games...tired of 8 bit graphics...now a days it seems so lazy and inspired...the charm is gone.

am I like, the only one who is excited for this?

double dragon II on nes is one of my favorite games

But more importantly, will it have Marian and Linda in it?

arcsys did great on hard corps uprisings so im interested to see how they do on this too

Any kind of sequel could be considered a cash-in anyway. At least you got a new one loyal to the popular titles instead of a shitty 3D reboot.

personally i would liked something like the new kunio games,

2d 8 or 16bit sprites in realistic (supersports challenge), or pixelart-realistic (RCR SP) 3d backgrounds.

the sheer contrast would make the game more noticeable.

song would have been playing on the radio in the 80's
fuck i miss that decade so much, mostly for the music style.

This one is actually being made by the original developers, so it's hardly fair to call it a cash-in. But it makes me even more curious why they went with an NES style when they also worked on the arcade games.

Even then they chose the inferior chiptunes.
youtube.com/watch?v=wBOeFElnITA

Hold the phone, are there new Kunio games?
I thought the franchise died with the GBA River City Ransom port

I suppose the NES port must have reached more people than the arcade version, but it's not like this doesn't leave open the possibility of a fifth part with graphics more akin to the latter. They couldn't reuse the NES style too much since it'd get stale fast like it happened with MM10.

A new one just came out for 3DS too.

there are 2 on the ds, sports mainly, actually localized

theres 2 PS3/4 games, one of them, a sequel of sorts to supersports challenge just released today:
youtube.com/watch?v=ikaB3Hs3UXw

and then we have the 6 games for the 3ds, RCR SP is the latest one of them:
youtube.com/watch?v=-vKJjCGbYzQ

There's been quite a few Kunio games on the Nintendo 3DS and even digitally on PS3 and PS4.
arcsystemworks.jp/technos/

oh, and theres the famicom compilation too (all 10 famicom games including the original RCR), but its not exactly a new game, i imagine:

youtube.com/watch?v=hJx8CfolQe4

>well, they are actually trying to test the waters in a way.
That's what I thought about Advance and Neon years ago. I doubt there'll ever be a serious AAA revival of Double Dragon at this point.

>They couldn't reuse the NES style too much since it'd get stale fast like it happened with MM10.
That's what they've been doing with all the Kunio games on the Nintendo 3DS for a while now.

There was something "off" about 3. I can't quite put my finger on it...

Muh dick. Thanks anons.
Kunio kun games are one of my fondest gaming memories as a kid, it makes me a bit sad it never gets enough recognition.

Also, that sprite artstyle never gets old. It's fucking perfect as it is.

but in kunio's case, its only the characters sprites.

DD4 is all 2d, personally, i guess they could have taken time to at least make the sprites arcade-like instead of famicom-like.

Meh, I wish they followed the GBA game and not the NES games