Onimusha

rarely hear anyone mention about this series. any fan out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HxBoZqhRMiU
youtube.com/watch?v=uH4sD5sSyFA
youtube.com/watch?v=G2I8HzYPtNI
youtube.com/watch?v=evsCV-9poSc
youtube.com/watch?v=GPArNT7kpKY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I loved these games and it's been so long since I last played them

I always make a point to play at least Onimusha 1 on the new years eve.

Fuck Capcom for what they did to Kaede. Also, katana Sam best Sam.

I'm going on an emulation bent, bout to get round to them.

Not a "what am I getting into" shitpost, just a bump.

I am proud to say I played all 4 games! and my favourite is 3rd in terms of story wise and the fourth just somehow disappointed me though. maybe it is just because the pervious ones are too good ! and the fourth game actually took 2 discs ! &/*-+*=

I am.

2 and 4 are my favourite.

Only played the first but I fucking adored it. Really should get around to playing the rest.

I only played Soul of the Samurai which I heard Onimusha copied.

Never played them cause I didnt own a console past PS1

Was it better?

thought Onimusha was suppose to be a Resident Evil feudal japan spin off?

Good games.

1 and 2 had shitty tank controls.

3 was great, had Jean Reno, but not in the English version.

4 was some fucking shit weird reboot.

Genji was a great game by the same designer for another company.

you mean zombie theme?

soul of the samurai was somehow similar some parasite thing turning people into monsters / zombie

hmmm yes and no. in western culture zombies are dead meat came back alive, but in Asian culture, people who get demonized some what keep their thought and gained superpower. onimusha went for demon and resident evil actually went for zombies and mutated zombies

I think he just means that it plays like Resident Evil with samurai. At least that was my first impression, and probably why I liked it so much.

>4 games
user...

damn I am beat xD
now I really want to try that T_T
didn't even know that exists, shame to be an Asian lol
btw I am op, I am disappointed at myself now

>1 and 2 had shitty tank controls.

I haven't played 2 yet but tank controls works very well for 1.

it's me again. how is it on the btw

I fucking love Onimusha.

2 > Dawn of Dreams > 1 > 3 > Blade Warriors

How would you rate Genma compared to one ?

Genma is the updated re-release of 1 on the Xbox, right?

Never played it, but I hear it's basically a definitive version.

They aged pretty poorly, the only one that still plays well is Dawn of Dreams.

An action game with tank controls and set camera angles isn't exactly a good idea.

>all 4 games
There a 7 games user.

Yeah, does Xbox even emulate well compared to PS2 ?

I think it works pretty well for the first one. I love fixed camera angles and tank controls haven't been an issue so far, they don't feel as rigid as in some other games.

It's a FFT clone. Take that as you will.

>>An action game with tank controls and set camera angles isn't exactly a good idea.
It was and still is fine. Enemy design was fair (except maybe those guys with the tentacles, fuck those guys), and movement wasn't really a problem.

Every time I bring up this game I have to address how inappropriate tank controls are for a hack-and-slash game and then people accuse me of being underage.

So, no, I will not be commenting about this game.

But you know I'm right.

Xbox doesn't emulate at all.

fucking kill yourself reddit

reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit

>It was and still is fine

No, it's not. It's no atrocious and still playable, but it's nowhere near good game design.
It makes no sense at all to have tank control and fixed camera angles in a game like this. They simply re-used shit from Resident Evil. They did the same for DMC1, minus the tank controls.

Played the first one and could never get into it.

I've heard 3 is better, but I don't feel like skipping the rest.

Beat 1 and 3

I like 2 but I never got past the beach fight.

Way back, I remember playing Onimusha with one of my best friends along with Shadow of Rome when it first came out. I really need to replay Onimusha 1-3 and Shadow of Rome.

Onimusha 2 had some good music.

>They simply re-used shit from Resident Evil
I always thought that was the point, and I never said it was good game design. I said it was fine.
You're probably right in that it is an inappropriate control scheme, but it doesn't render the game unplayable or anything. It's just fine. Not great, not bad, just fine.

>I've heard 3 is better, but I don't feel like skipping the rest.

You honestly don't miss much. You could skip right ahead to Dawn of Dreams if you really wanted more of a fresh start.

I have all of the games on ps2. Easily one of my favorite series on the system. My neighbor used to play them at the same time as me and we'd compare progress/saves used etc. The best part of all of these games is the critical system. Something about having to learn the exact timing of every enemy and boss was so fun to me.

I have to say 2 is my favorite hands down but 3 was so much fun switching between the time periods. Getting critical strikes with Jacque's whip was insanely cool

youtube.com/watch?v=HxBoZqhRMiU

REDDIT ALERT REDDIT ALERT GAS THIS FAGGOT NOW NANI

Onimusha had such fucking cool CGI intros

youtube.com/watch?v=uH4sD5sSyFA

youtube.com/watch?v=G2I8HzYPtNI

youtube.com/watch?v=evsCV-9poSc

>Onimusha 2 had some good music.

I prefer DoD, it's the most consistently good.

What's the gayest name in video game history and why is it Gogandantess?

I want an HD rerelease. Is there zero chance of this ever happening?

i am now through 1 and 2.
one is fucking great, only 4-5 hours long but really fun to play.
only thing that bugs me is that replayability is killed by unskippable cutscenes.

Onimusha 2 i didn't really feel it for the first hour, but then the game got really good.
weird how the gifting and gold/shop systems are dropped after the first 4th of the game, but whatever.
Onimusha 2 really picks up and is great with the more varied weapons and stupid future technology vehicles.
i am gonna start Onimusha 3 today or tomorrow, i am ready for you Jean reno!
the beach fight is bullshit because you have to get blocked a bunch of times and eventually a cutscene will end the fight for you.
you are supposed to lose but not actually die, just get blocked a bunch of times

>I want an HD rerelease. Is there zero chance of this ever happening?

Just get hdmi converter and plug in into a TV.

>*Whos' the greatest swordsman of all the demons

I see a lot of people here complain about that sliding puzzle in the water room in Onimusha 1 and it reminds me how retarded people on Sup Forums are.

DID YOU GET THE SWORD FROM HELL? OH YOU DIDN'T?
TOO BAD HERE BOMB FUCK YOU

Massive fan here.

Pretty close to never fucking happening. Even the REmakes cheated by making the pre-rendered background real-time static environments, pretty much remade the game shot-for-shot in 3D and fixed the camera angles. Onimusha is too forgotten by people to ever be remade with the resources it'd need.

Shame, it was one of the best series on PS2

Yeah it was some of the only real "easter egg" material in the game. Had to get all of the gifts and give them to the right people to trigger certain cutscenes and get certain items from them

Nioh can't come soon enough

youtube.com/watch?v=GPArNT7kpKY

I'm sorry

It took me nearly an hour to solve it.

it's bad because it's timed and when you fail you have to do the 2 other stupid puzzles again.
i had more trouble doing the RE4 sliding puzzle though

How does the gameplay compare to Onimusha? Through the very small glances I took at the game, I'm thinking it's some mix of Onimusha and the souls games.

You shouldn't fail if you're not retarded.

4 > 3

>emergency paris

that is exactly what it is.
simple combos, timed parrys that do a shitton of damage
and some magic sword magic.
but everything limited by a stamina meter, wich also applies to your enemies wich is cool.
it also has the deathrun, RPG, and equipment systems somewhat similar to Souls games.

No, no one here is a fan of this beloved classic that gets mentioned every single fucking day in Nioh threads

It's almost primarily Souls. If it were Onimusha I'd have bought a PS4 just for it. All I want is to just chain kill monsters with issen all day and suck souls up into a gauntlet with tactile feedback again

it plays nothing like onimusha it's just another boring as fuck souls clone

I've been meaning to emulate them. I remember getting 2 as a kid on a whim and loved it, then played 1.

i feel like it has a pretty "small" following considering it has never been rereleased on anything past the Xbox/PS2

That was literally the pitch for the game, but it changed when they realized that when the player is a badass magic samurai you're not really afraid of shit

>How does the gameplay compare to Onimusha? Through the very small glances I took at the game, I'm thinking it's some mix of Onimusha and the souls games.

Structure is similar to Dark Souls
Style and tone similar to Onimusha
Combat is deep and not very forgiving. It's more similar to an action game like say Ninja Gaiden than either Onimusha or Dark Souls. It's fast and each weapon has 3 stances.

No you're wrong

But it's cool if you personally don't enjoy it

>it's just another boring as fuck souls clone

This is how we know you either didn't play it or got shat on by the peasants on the beach.

You mean it was a multiplat that was on one of the most popular consoles of all time and sold well enough to get FIVE renditions on the same console?

More like somone asking if it's like Onimusha is a bitter pill to swallow, because it could have been and isn't. Souls games are cancer, even though Nioh is seriously harder than anything Souls bothered to do outside of Old Hunters

>It plays nothing like Onimusha

Correct

>Souls clone

DO YOU EVEN KI PULSE OR WEAPON SWITCH BRO?

Nothing in Nioh took me nearly as many tries as the fucking maneaters did

i blame japan for onimushas success.

Just started this yesterday.
>You move with the D-Pad
Would've dropped it if I hadn't upgraded my weapon. Love when games do that shit.

>like Onimusha is a bitter pill to swallow, because it could have been and isn't.

You say that as if Onimusha is some masterpiece.
The gameplay is strictly inferior to Nioh.

Also the more you play Nioh the more you realize how different it is from the Souls games.

you really have to think about onimusha 1 as Resident evil but combat is encouraged.

Yeah, that's what I thought after the first fight.
Loving it so far.
I wanna fuck that Ninja tho.

>maneaters
>hard
>any boss in DeS
>hard

>I wanna fuck that Ninja tho.

Too bad

she

____

>>any boss in DeS
>>hard

The boss after maneaters can be.

We love it, but there's not much to talk about anymore since the series ended with the PS2.

>it's timed
Oh shit it is? lmao, I beat it fast.

We have threads every week

souls pvp is the true cancer

I remember getting summoned as the boss once. I didn't really want to kill the player so when he reached low hp I stopped attacking, but I didn't just stand there and let him kill me.
In the end I milked him dry of his healing items and he died from that homing soul mass spell you get as the boss. I then got a hatemail where he called me an asshole.

compared to niohsouls onimusha is a masterpiece

>compared to niohsouls onimusha is a masterpiece

Yeah, says the one that hasn't even played the alpha or beta at all for an unreleased game we really don't know much about.

All you're doing is flapping around a flag that says "I'm retarded" with these posts.

Maneaters were fucking hard as fuck

If you didn't have trouble with them you're some kinda badass

or perhaps ur some kinda casul?

Soul of the Samurai is exactly that. A low budget resident evil set in feudal Japan.

I've had that game for nearly a decade and haven't even once touched it.
Backlog stronk

Tank controls work great with fixed camera angles, you can shift between cameras without direction input getting fucked.
I'd say it was a better choice than fixed cameras with 2D controls, like DMC1 and Onimusha 3.
Though obviously the ideal thing would be to have fully controllable camera, but that's a different issue.

>have trouble with maneaters
>give up
>come back with dragon bone smasher
>rape them

The only thing that was a problem was the fucking black phantom mindflayer

Maybe you thought they were hard when the game came out and you didn't have extensive experience with the Souls games. Go back and play it again, they're a cakewalk.

why do you think any one that rightfully hates this unoriginal wank stain of a game has not played it? are you retarded?

I'm waiting for some kind of intelligent and reasonable argument but I can't find one.

he's just upset that dark souls """"""""""""""""""ruined""""""""""""""""""" action games somehow

I'd kill for a hd remake

Probably not, I beat Nioh's alpha with less trouble.

I could make a dick-measuring list of hard games I've beaten but that would just lead into a pointless discussion of if those games are hard and they're all 2-D anyways so maybe I'm just shit at 3D

But I don't think I'm the only one who had trouble with them.

maybe they're just easy for me

I've never played Demon's Souls, but from what I've seen these guys only look marginally more challenging than the bell gargoyles.

they're much much easier than the gargoyles. the first one is almost always dead before the second one even lands unless you're bad and they don't have those obnoxious fire breath attacks. plus all of their attacks are so easy to dodge.