What is the biggest problem with JRPGS today? Bad gameplay? Characters? Story?

What is the biggest problem with JRPGS today? Bad gameplay? Characters? Story?

These games are consistently scored lower than their western counterparts. Look at FFXV, an open world action rpg is getting 7s and even 5s, so it's clearly worse than the witcher 3 with it's8s and 9s.

What is wrong with the Japanese making rpgs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qnpg9Zc3_iE
youtube.com/watch?v=Nk7CKWnL3ek
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bad writing, bland characters and boring gameplay.

SMT has edginess for the angst emo teens but everything else about it is as dull as it gets.

Pokemon has the iconic characters and fun atmosphere but there's no challenge, so anyone above age 12 gets nothing meaningful gameplay-wise.

There's no jrpg that excels at more than one or two things. They're cringe

even SMT is losing its angst. Thanks to Persona being as popular as it is, weebs are working at Atlus and trying to turn mainline into a slightly darker Persona. Look at the debacle that was Devil Summoner 2, Record Breaker and Apocalypse.

The problem is companies thinking they produce better products than they actually do, and the market and consumers being too fucked in the head to accomodate raising the bar.

Diminishing returns.

>What is the biggest problem with JRPGs today
Nothing. You've posted the Fallout 4 of JRPGs.

Square Enix is a bad example of JRPG developers by the way, they've become the Bethesda of JRPGs. The last good FF was the sixth one.

Cold Steel was fucking shit though

Catering to the dying otaku market instead of normies because only one of those two groups still buys handhelds or consoles while the other only sometimes bothers with popular mobage

What's funny is that anime keeps getting better and more diverse over the years and anime-flavored games are all just rehashes of the same grindy shit over and over

It's time we let the ffxv is bad meme die... The game was literally RPG perfection for the Xbox. Even though the story could of been fleshed out it still provided an incredible story and top notch gameplay. Hands down in my top three for final fantasy let's be honest anyone who played the game cried during the final scene

I can't think of a single better JRPG besides the first three Suikoden games and maybe Terranigma.

I can think of well over a dozen

I'm gonna go with story.

FFXV and FFXIII were good games that managed to be totally trashed by shitty stories written by hacks who dominated the making of the game instead of adding to it.

FFXIII completely fucks the pacing of the game by starting with a huge climactic battle while your characters have absolutely no abilities other than basic attacks, then trying to slowly build up abilities while constantly trying to jam flashbacks about why you should care about what just happened for a good 15 hours after the single most important event in the game that players will have already forgotten about.

Because of all that the game winds up boring and effectively a 40 hour tutorial, as the game doesn't bother giving you full control over your characters or even full access to your party roles and the rules of how to play the main combat system until you beat the game. That'd be like if FF7 didn't give you any Materia until you got to the fourth disk, it just automatically gave you materia that it thought you should use all of the time.

FFXV is a comfy, light-hearted game about traveling with your friends and making a name for yourself hunting... trapped in a stifling narrative about betrayal, the death of a kingdom, depression in the face of absolute destruction and the pressing need to gather your power before the inevitable end of the world. Nothing you do in the game has anything to do with how you actually play the game, creating a massive mood whiplash that makes the game weaker - The fall of Tenebrae should have been one of the *last* things that happened, not literally the first thing.

>What is the biggest problem with JRPGS today?

Most JRPGs these days are fine. The problem is with the bigger companies like Square Enix who think they can make JRPGs that can complete with the likes of COD and other giant western AAA games. Most companies realize that it's a niche genre now and will never be as popular with mainstream gamers as it was in the mid 90s/early 2000s.

FFXV is the perfect example. You can't even really call it a JRPG anymore. It's a watered down action game with RPG elements slapped onto it. Piss easy hold down a button combat and an empty open world to try an appeal to the Witcher 3 crowd. They're trying so hard to emulate western developers that they forget about what actually made the series unique in the first place.

>Sup Forums tells me cold steel is a great jrpg
>expect terrible weebshit
>get one of the best weebshit i've ever played
h-help

>FFXV and FFXIII were good games
not even going to bother reading further

Because they try to do games like they are done in the west. Because absolute horseshit games like Witcher 3 and Skyrim get high scores they try to imitate these shitgames and manage to do them even worse than the western ones. They should just stick to what they used to do, which is turn based combat with ridiculous worlds/characters. They should stick to being Japanese which is just being weird as fuck.

But FFXV is good

Sorry you hated chapter 13 but the rest of the game is fantastic.

>All that lore
>Fun character moments
>Party actually acts like a party
>Map with shit to do and will get your shit pushed in if you try to kill something that's way higher level than you

Persona 5 will save RPGs.

Are you honestly 12?

Western rpgs are often far worse than jrpgs imo, the only good recent wrpg is the Witcher 3.

It's dumb to look at most critic scores as anyone can be a critic. Trust what you see when you look up gameplay and play games for yourself. Or find the critic that most accurately represents your opinion. Don't use Metacritic or you well only end up only playing games that were designed for everyone (causal gamers make up the most of everyone).

>modern persona
>saving anything

kek

KEK

K-E-K

Nice counter argument. Prove me wrong.

I don't have the 5 hours it would take to explain just how fucking bad XV is

literally lobotomise yourself

One of the things is the bad gameplay, but usually they always contain good or at least humorous writing.
That's what is keeping me with FF15.
The game looks hideous, the gameplay is uninspired and flashy to keep your attention, and the framerat is horrid.
The banter between all your bros is phenomenal though.
AND GOD DAMN do I wanna fuck Prompto until he begs for me to stop.

>Map with shit to do
Oh yeah, there's plenty of checklist filler quests and flavourless hunts.

Who the fuck is paying attention to these sorts of numbers to play a game?
I play a fucking game to have fun.

What the fuck is your issue?

fuck i've seen this at gamestop for 24.99

should i fucking buy it. i'm anxious for something as good as xenosaga

>15 and 13 were good games
Lmao

People rave about this game but it seems utterly uninspired.

I don't care if it has more exposition than most.

Looks like you don't have any arguments mate. Sorry but keep being jaded. You'll grow out of it soon.

You should get it if you have the chance. It's a really weeby JRPG, not moeshit by anymeans but it has your high school settings and teenage drama, but it's one of the most well-written JRPGs of recent times too.

>Look at FFXV, an open world action rpg is getting 7s and even 5s, so it's clearly worse than the witcher 3 with it's8s and 9s.

When most people play games they aren't comparing numbers to other games and then thinking oh shit, I think I had less fun

I wouldn't say JRPGs as a whole, but Square and Final Fantasy have been in a tailspin for quite a while. XV is a thinly-disguised Kingdom Heartds. And you can bet VII's remake will be as well.

Also the story is quite a mess, both in content and in execution.

FFXV is all around shit m8
and i waited 10 years for it

But as a general consensus overall based on objective data, more poeple found witcher 3 to be better. Thus the Wticher 3 is much better than FFXV.

Older JRPGs are better than anything western though. They started getting bad when they copied western games. And besides, japanese ARPGs like dark souls and devil may cry have no western rival.

>general consensus overall based on objective data
I don't think about any of this when playing a game. And if I heard witcher 3 was a good game and so was final fantasy, I would get both and enjoy both. Not being a fucking fairy about it and compare them.

>devil may cry
>ARPG

Fuck. I will grab it then. I realized I really enjoyed Xenosaga on PS2 but haven't bought or played any other RPG's on PS3 so I've been wondering about that game.

You can level up and shit so it technically is

The Witcher 3 was made in Poland.

>Older JRPGs are better than anything western though
wrong
>They started getting bad when they copied western games
The genre LITERALLY started from copying western RPGs
>japanese ARPGs like dark souls and devil may cry
>You can level up and shit so it technically is
what the fuck

Excessive waifu baiting aside, they've barely evolved from the PS1/2 era in the gameplay and presentation department outside of a few exceptions. Most Japanese developers are still stuck in the 90's and early 2000's with their game design philosophy. On the other hand you get crap like FFXV that tries to be a modern open world western RPG, but has no idea what makes those games fun. Too little to late.

why are you jealous people are having fun playing Final Fantasy that you have to make a thread comparing it the the witcher 3?

>otaku pandering
>Anything but shit

Witcher fags are noterious shitposted.

I'm right though? Shit like FF7 hasn't been beaten by a western RPG. And dark souls is an ARPG since you have an autistic fixation that dmc isn't

Witcher 3 is for plebs

FFXV is for patricians

Game time alone FFXV wins.

Is this b8?

It's literally because there are no blacks, trannies, dykes or faggots in JPRGS

Half the witcher 3s score came from how progressive and stronk the women were

>an autistic fixation that dmc isn't
It isn't, ask absolutely anyone if Devil May Cry is an RPG.

Can you repeat that with fewer buzzwords?

No, you're completely and utterly wrong
Pretty much every Wizardry, Might and Magic and Ultima were better than Final fucking Fantasy, and so are games like Anachronox, Baldur's Gate, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Deus Ex, Daggerfall and Morrowind, Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas, Gothic 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2, Mount and Blade, KOTOR 2 and VTMB just to name a few

FF7 isn't even the best game in its series.

This

makes you play as twink faggots.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Pic related.

Americans can't relate to non-western characters / story structure, so they treat every form of eastern entertainment product as objectively inferior. There are expections, western people seem to "love" the work of Studio Ghibli, for instance.

Daggerfall and Morrowind were never good.

Kaine is none of those things.

nice opinion bro. you don't seem to have a bias towards wrpgs at all.

>tfw trails could singlehandedly save JRPGs if they actually took time to advertise it in the west
youtube.com/watch?v=Qnpg9Zc3_iE

Why, because I happen to like a lot of them? I've probably played five times as many JRPGs as you have mate. My favourite game series is literally a JRPG

The main characters are Western except for noctis who looks mixed.

Not with PS2 graphics and PS1-tier gameplay. The writing's great but it would never sell in today's market except for people who are already really into JRPGs.

get that gay jap shit out of this wholesome american forum

youtube.com/watch?v=Nk7CKWnL3ek

Metacritic says otherwise

People keep saying the writing is great, but what's so great about it?

It's literally every anime ever made.

>this is is a bad thing

Imagine being this retarded.

According to metacritic FFXV is worse than FFXIII.

Because that's true

The world-building and attention to detail in nearly every aspect of the game world's lore, largely. Falcom does an incredible job at worldbuilding and breathing life into irrelevant side NPCs.

Writing doesn't necessarily equate to story, either. You can write a really standard JRPG/anime story and still have it be written extremely well, even if its lacking originality, which is exactly what ToCS does.

>Metacritic

>objective score
>not valid because it's not my opinion

I don't see anything particularly great about its execution,

Weebshit is weebshit. When you fail harder than the retarded shit that western devs release nowadays, now that's saying something

No not really

Honestly the verdict is still out on FFXV until squareenix is done patching the story

They could pull an Advent Children Complete and change literally nothing of value or they could pull a miniature FFXIV and fix all the potholes in the story's tone quite easily

No, the verdict is already out.

If you have to patch in shit that should have been there on release you have automatically fucked up.

I don't think you understand anything about game development

Not cinematic enough.
NPC conversations aren't long enough.
Not enough dialog wheels with :D and >:( responses.

That's basically what everyone nowadays wants in an RPG. FF got close to meeting modern WRPG standards but the story was too short and too weeb for the wider audience. Character designs probably turned off a lot of potential buyers as well. They need more tuff white dudes.

No, I understand there's nothing wrong with the core game and most of the issues are with the game's presentation and execution plot

According to metacritic Skyrim is 'objectively' better than FFVII or any JRPG.

pathetic counter argument

In some ways it is. The graphics took a hit and the cutscenes aren't as memorable or polished. The music of xiii was also much better.

Lightning is also better than Noctis.

>nothing wrong

except there's plenty fucking wrong with the core game, in fact that's where 95% of the problems lie

I don't remember saying it was an argument

It is. Skyrim had it problems but the gameplay, story, NPC, challenges, music and world/lore were all better than FFVII.

All I can say is that people like complaining about FFXV but they have no reasons.

Contrarians the lot of ya

Is this shit stand alone?

Or I have to play the other Trails?

>Give a shit ton of reasons
>ignore them

My posts with reasons are always ignored. People would rather respond to "You're a retard".

Don't need to play the other Trails game since it's a different cast in a different part of the same world, in a generally different plot, but a lot of the world building in previous trails game still applies.

you can play cold steel just fine without feeling like you're missing anything at all, but you'll unknowingly also spoil yourself on one of the biggest twists in previous trails games.

Games that are "too japanese-ey" always get pegged on scoring sites nowadays.
Ive only put about 12 hours into xv so far but its ok, i feel like the witchere was better because it had more fluff and different things to do and im a huge FF that has beaten 1-10 and 12 several times and replay a handful of them every year.
I have spent about 3 hours fishing in 15 now that i think about it though

Nah m8

MUH REVEAL THAT OLIVER IS A PRINCE

Why do you always fucking have appear in a thread with Cold Steel? It doesn't fucking matter in TiTS that he's a prince. Go kill yourself.

Yeah. I was replying to the other user who thought FFVII hadn't been surpassed.

I wasn't talking about Olivier you fucking faggot, besides, that's not the biggest spoiler in the previous trails game

There's nothing else that Cold Steel spoils by virtue of taking places years later.