At what exact point did Blizzard's art style go to complete shit?

At what exact point did Blizzard's art style go to complete shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

afreeca.tv/36855042/vod
static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/123/1239113/3109042-sc2.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I would say it went to shit with WoW.

I would say WoW but when you compare Starcraft or Warcraft with other games, their artstyle has always been kinda bland.

>not liking WC2's comfy art style

Jesus, looking back it looks like a fucking mobile game.

>zug zug
>dat pig squeal when you click the farm

looks better than any rts at the time

Honestly?

Warcraft 3.

The cinematics were top notch and the tilesets looked great though. Ingame cutscenes were ugly whenever zoomed in on units.

You know what, I kind of want to change my answer. The reason is, I don't think Blizzard artstyle went to shit. I think it's very good, I just think it's very sad that it's the only one they seemingly can do nowadays - you know, bright, exaggerated one. It works for some games (I think it works very well for Overwatch), but when they bring it into a franchise that used to have a darker, more "realistic" art style (Diablo, Starcraft), it just feels jarring.

I wish their artists were capable of doing several things, and not just perfecting one thing and leaving it at that.

I have to agree with you. The style wasn't shitty IN Warcraft 3, and it carried the game as the 3D title in their series. But then they stuck with it, and now it's everywhere and it's shit.

I remember being very disappointed with warcraft 3's sudden use of giant shoulder glowy eyes neon lines shit.

reminder that broodwar is back and tastosis are casting the ASL
the dark days of sc2 are over. esports will become great again

At least Starcraft 2's unit portraits were more realistic

Honestly still find it playable today. The graphics are next level comfy.

Same with HOMM 1 and 2. I can't help but prefer 2's comfy sprites over 3

Reminder that next week they are accepting donations. 50% goes to the prize pool, 50% goes to paying the auditorium where they play the final.

So if you've ever wanted to give Flash 5 dollars this is your chance.

you mean give jaedong 5 dollars

WoW TBC

WoW, maybe WC3.

I miss old Blizzard. BW is still their best game.

Honestly when they stopped ripping off Games Workshop's stuff as much.

I disagree in the sense that even for Warcraft's cartoony standards WoW looks like shit with you running around in neon loot until you hit endgame then grind for ridiculously oversized shoulderpads.

Is this true? Please be true. New videos when? I want to see gooks performing inhuman feats.

SC2 is one of the saddest episodes in vidya for me.

Blizzard's art style is great, you're literally retarded.

>that meme again

I never played WoW but I've seen some area screenshots and they look really nice for low-poly 3D. I agree that high-level armour looks a bit shit.

wow looked great on release for a MMO

afreeca.tv/36855042/vod

you can also find them on their twitch gsl channel.

Bless you, user. Life is slightly less shit today.

HoMM2 is the shit.

says the actual retard
sc2 looks like shit compared to the first game

lineage 2 looks better and is a year older

>Goliath's cartoonishly pulsing exhaust pipes

Warcraft 3

they were masters of subtlety with the 2d stuff

but they can't into 3d

FFXI looked much better

Art style went to shit with WoW. It looked too cute for a game which centered around almost all races looking angry and bloodthirsty all the time. Then in WoW everyone was softer and had anime eyes.

come up with something better than, oh that's right you're a talentless fucking hack who does nothing with his life

kys cuckfag

What did he mean by this?

Starcraft Battle Chest is $9 at my local game shop, is it worth buying?

It's Blizzard's best RTS game so yes.

Just download it from iccup.com and play on their server

>not enjoying physical copies of games
pleb

Honestly I only feel like Warcraft 3 and Diablo 3 are where Blizzard fell short. I say that as someone that probably spent about 4000+ hours playing Warcraft 3 and making maps.

If you look at when War3 came out (2002!) there were a lot of good looking games come out that year. At this point in time 3D games were really coming along: Max Payne, BF1942, Prince of Persia: SoT, Smash Melee, etc. War3 fell into that awkward point in time when high fidelity models were possible but not really doable in an RTS where you could have (potentially) hundreds of units on screen at once.

As a result you have a lot of overly proportioned models that lack the simplistic artstyle of earlier low-poly 3D games. I feel like the color schemes were good, it's just that the models have aged very poorly. This is not to say that the game couldn't look good, a lot of terrainers did some amazing work with WorldEdit.

To me Diablo 3 was kind of the opposite, it looked good but not in a way that matched the series. The softness of the textures and the color schemes were too bright for a game that was supposed to be pretty dark. The themes and writing also really hurt the atmosphere of the game, I always felt like D1 and D2 were very serious games compared to Warcraft and Starcraft.

The rest of Blizzard's game look great though.

This guy speaks the truth.

Considering how far people pushed the assets of Warcraft 3 though like in your picture I really miss more credit was given to the map building/script/asset system given along with the game.

I supposed there will never be another game with as much workability and freedom (and content making community) as warcraft 3.

It's $9

When they decided everything has to be cartoony. That style totally works for some games. For instance, I think it works great for WoW. But not EVERYTHING needs to have a cartoony style. Like why the fuck would you make Diablo, a game about scouring bloodsoaked dungeons for demons to cleave to pieces with a battle axe, cartoony?

Yeah, when I think back on it the WorldEdit was absolutely amazing and it really deserves more credit in Sup Forumsidya history. When it comes to modding I would say that Warcraft 3 is second only to Doom. Not only did it spawn a whole genre of video games but there were hundreds of great maps to try out, be they multi-player, cinematics or campaigns. It was approachable enough that just about anyone could try their hand at their own idea but it was also advanced enough that people came up with some truly amazing stuff.

On a more personal level it was my first real experience with modding and it taught me a ton of different skills (file archives, compression, image formats, sound formats, basic programing, etc.) that I still use today.

To clarify I'm referring to what they did with Diablo 3.

>The softness of the textures and the color schemes were too bright for a game that was supposed to be pretty dark.
yeah

diablo 1 and 2 were almost chiaroscuro, diablo 3 had terrible contrast

> I always felt like D1 and D2 were very serious games compared to Warcraft and Starcraft.

Because they are.

Diablo is a tabletop season with a good storyteller DM while Warcarft and Starcraft is the match you play with your friends and go FUCK YEAH! Like the good ol' Rogue trader era.

Still to this day what I hate the most about Blizzard are the orcs: The moment I started playing 3 I knew the ending right away.

I hate how bland Blizz orcs are.

SC2 and D3 look leaps and bounds better, sorry for pointing it out contrarians.

Just because it's 3D doesn't make it better. SC2 Zerg are a travesty.

>tfw Flash vs Jaedong in 2017

Life is looking up

please explain how diablo 3 looks better

It's actually 3D, it has real shadows/shaders, it has subtle fog/smoke everywhere, better lightning, I could go on but I bet you get the gist of it.

>SC2 and D3 look leaps and bounds better, sorry for pointing it out contrarians.
even if by chance you're not just some young retarded blizzdrone, but actually an oldfag you just like sc2 better than bw

kys

i am SICK of EPIC fags you like neon colors everyfuckingwhere

>good on every level except the artstyle, sound, and basically everything that would actually matter

?

>it's 3D therefore better
kill yourself nigger

Where does SC2 have neon colors? Maybe some lasers or something but that's all games.

It's better because it just looks way more appealing and gorgeous, simple as that, 3D or not.

I always liked 2 over 3.

I can't help but feel it had cooler maps too.

Warcraft 3

>better because traded style and artistic competence for tech

Great argument. I bet you'd love the new Dead Rising.

static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/123/1239113/3109042-sc2.jpg

might not be neon green, but the amount of shitty lights this game has is on par with D3 and fucking WoW. You'd think the Protoss are set in the same universe as any other blizz universe. They all share the same color set.

Looks good, but not better than d1/2

Warcraft 3

>being angry about the fact that fire, explosions and lasers are bright
Okey dokey, time to take your pills.

>tfw got to meet Flash at the Dallas MLG back in 2012 on my birthday

but the lighting is worse, there's barely any dynamic lighting going on, in diablo 2 terrain actually blocked your light radius and cast shadows behind the walls

and let's not even talk about the senslessly colored lighting in every other area

another one of diablo 3's failings is that it replaced the fairly realistic designs of all the environments with blizzards more cartoony and "generic digital art" designs

That looks like farts and look how much of a cukk the barbarian looks there.

the lost vikings

Someone post the greentext with evil Uther

inorite? omg farts lolol XDXDXDDDD

Blizzard's art style went to shit when WoW's art style became Blizzard's as a whole. Shit looked weird in TBC and even wrath, but I could be forgiving since most of if it worked in the areas they made.

Then it spread into Starcraft and Diablo, so you've got shit like with bright purple lasers and glowing gold that looks like paladins and warlocks having a disco party.

Diablo 3 looks like it tried to have a drawn background, and ended up looking flat in most places where it really shouldn't.

Then again, I also wonder if there isn't like, a handful of guys still in Blizzard somewhere that actually liked blizzard games and try to put nice stuff in their modern games for older fans, but then it gets filtered through all the shit at modern blizzard like the art team and ends up distorted.

Two problems with big studios:
groupthink and tough deadlines

Where there are no deadlines, you get groupthink and everything comes out homogenous, broken, and boring because everyone is either a hypersensitive socjus monkey and/or have perpetual relapses of fuckarounditis. Where there are killer deadlines, you get whatever the team can push out the quickest, which means you get the same game as before but with less love in it.

At least with smaller studios in a professional environment, the former isn't as likely.

god that looks like dogshit

It was advanced enough there were ways to send viruses using the scripts even.

Starcraft 2 could have shot off as big as Warcraft 3 was, but Blizzard shut out any possibility of that because on release they didn't release their mapmaking tools, and later made it available if you paid to have a game on the arcade.

Only in the past 1-2 years have map developers moved over some of the best stuff from Warcraft 3, and all of the new awesome things made on SC2 have been overlooked because there is simply no community on SC2 that wants to do any arcade game except DesertWars and a couple Tower Defenses.

why the fuck did you link to an image you fucking retard?

comfy comfy as fuck. remember being in fifth grade. winter. go outside and sled and do shit in the snow with my rfriends. get very cold. go home to warm house, eat some dinner and placy some warcraft2

what? sc2 is so dead people are going back to broodwar?

what the hell

"Jahbs dun"

"yes milord"

i hate how you start with like 15 workers in sc2. much too quick for me like

This

Blizzard south was a mistake

This triggered me hard

Warhammer generally looks like hot shitted up plastic toys though.

I was about to say WoW, but then this kind user reminded me

yes, WC3 was definitely the beginning of the end

>tfw you will never have a modern game with diablo 2 artstyle

>the dark days of sc2 are over. esports will become great again
it's already happening

Jaedong vs. stork was PACKED AS FUCK

can't wait for the next set of matches

Diablo 2 remaster when?

>diablo 1 and 2 were almost chiaroscuro, diablo 3 had terrible contrast
Can it be fixed with Reshade filters?

Here's some clips of how packed the studio was for Jaedong vs Flash

clips.twitch/gsl/WittyDugongKreygasm
streamable/dhxdh

So you're saying it's technologically more advanced

No shit sherlock

I know there were similar lane pushers back on Starcraft (in fact I played the fuck out of vtec paintball and other paintball games), but dota and shit like that really arose with Warcraft 3's hero system. It's crazy how Warcraft 3 itself is a fine game, good single player, not overly competitive with lots of user map settings games. But the art style and games that came from it are nothing but cancer.

I don't think filters will be able to actually make it look good like it would if you designed it from the ground up

wow looks so great because it's ACTUALLY 3D

Warcraft 3.

Don't get me wrong; I love the game, but the art was trash-tier and everything following it became a fustercluck.

wait

they already played?

SC2 is a wonderful example of how a decent product can be ruined by poor decisions.

The art style, story, and decision to make the game 3 games.

As much as I jack-off to Kerrigan, her model is way too cute and attractive to be zerg.

>Jaedong vs Flash
I thought they're gonna meet up in the semi finals?

I love Blizzards artstyle.

>waifufaggot has bad taste
like pottery

Overwatch is generic cartoony style.