What's the best processor for a gtx 1060 6gb?

What's the best processor for a gtx 1060 6gb?

I'm currently considering the i7 6700k (4.0ghz) and the i7-7700K (4.5ghz)

Other urls found in this thread:

gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-660-Ti-vs-GIGABYTE-Radeon-R9-270X
amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3751-KR/dp/B00IDG3PRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485825428&sr=8-3&keywords=660 ti
techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i7-6700k-hyperthreading-test.219417/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The 6700 did better in games

Get whichever one of those is cheaper. Monoprice through ebay had the 7700k for $314 last week.

You could just get an i5 and 1070 if you're using it for gaymen. But if you absolutely need an i7, I don't know why you would buy the 6700k when the 7700k exists.

7700K is just a small revision of the 6700K

Also, I don't see why you need an i7 with that GPU, but whatever.

the difference between the 2 is 15 dollars.

Some games are starting to use hyperthreaded cores now. An i5 is is very solid choice, but in most cases the 7 can get you 10 extra fps. More if it supports hyperthreading.

I already have an i5 and a 750ti.

I guess I really should get a 1070 instead.

Your basically paying 5 percent more for a 1 to 2 percent boost

>$100 for a 10 fps boost
Yeah, seems like money well spent.

You really should just save your money. You could get a 1080 for skipping out on the i7. Or you could also wait for Housefire Inc.'s Vega architecture.

What did they change, other than the .5ghz boost?

Nothing that's it

Its just clocked more at stock. which you can reverse easily by overclocking it

7700K is Kaby Lake, the 6700K is Skylake. They're both the same lithography ( 14nm )

The pipelines etc are all the same. There is no major change in architecture. Intel just vaguely says that the manufacturing process is improved.

Basically, you can overclock the Kaby Lake higher than the Skylake, but it's irrelevant for playing games, honestly. I'd just get the cheaper CPU because your bottleneck will be your GPU not your CPU

>you can overclock the Kaby Lake higher than the Skylake

This is just implied by the higher stock clock. Both get pretty unstable around 5 ghz and the 6700 shows better performance at the same clocks

How will it bottleneck, i thought it was the other way around.

Will it be a common issue? I'll get a 1070 if its a big issue.

Which card should I get?
gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-660-Ti-vs-GIGABYTE-Radeon-R9-270X

>just save more for a newer one!
No, this is what my budget allows me.

So the verdict is that the 6700k is better?

R9 270x. What CPU do you have?

amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3751-KR/dp/B00IDG3PRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485825428&sr=8-3&keywords=660 ti

The 750ti is cheaper than the 660ti apparently. Go with that.

A bottleneck can happen in all sorts of different places in a system. In this scenario, all it means is your GPU will run out of horsepower long before a modern, high end CPU will. So, you can save a bit of money getting the 6700K rather than the 7700K.

Hell, you could get an i5 6600K and still be sitting pretty with a single 1070.

Is running Windows 7 important to you -> 6700.
Are you ok with switching to Linux in the near future -> 7700.

More specifically, for playing video games, it is a better value.

i5 2400 but planning to upgrade to i5 3570

Great. The R9 270x will work good with either CPU

Why bother when you can just get a 1050 ti for a little bit more money?

>mfw Phenom 965
>mfw nothing worthwhile to even try to upgrade to

I really wish I hadn't gone AMD back in 2012 but the Phenom line was pretty good. I had no clue Bulldozer and future lines would be such a fuck up.

Gotta go with a whole new build if I want a tangible upgrade.

What makes a 7700k better for linux? I'm more a a XP/7 guy.

And that's all I do on my current one.

I did not take that one into account. Go with that one then.

My brother has that same processor. It was pretty beastly when it released, but it's definitely aged now.

Yes

I run a lot of CPU intensive games, coupled with 5000x5000 photoshop files.

So I don't want to take any chances with processors.

It seems go to set-up according to this thread is an i7 6700k/1070 gtx combo.

I bought two 760's five years ago and the only game that I've wanted to play but couldn't get maximum graphics out of was The Witcher 3. Buying the latest graphics card is a thing of the past.

Suck it up a buy a LGA1155 or LGA1150 board and a 3rd-4th gen i5
Must be better than whatever AMD trash you have.

I just bought a 1060 to replace a 660ti in a 4.5 years old pc. It runs Doom at 120 fps (1080p AAx8). So I'm led to believe the processor really does fuck all nowadays, just pick whatever is cheap.

>I run a lot of CPU intensive games
Don't let the i5 memers try to make you believe this isn't getting important and more important by the day

>Phenom 965

I literally just left that exact processor last week. Went up to Skylake housefire edition 7. The 965 was absolutely beastly back in teh day and even now was still performing quite well when paired with a decent video card. It was just time to move on.

Yeah, if you edit media, then an i7 will pay dividends.

OP here, I have a boxed LGA 1150 Gigabyte Z97-HD3 motherboard.

Apparently, this motherboard does not support i7 CPUs.

Am I understanding this wrong or should I get a new one?

Leaning towards the 6700k and a 1060.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I want to upgrade but AMD really just has nothing worth keeping this mobo around to upgrade to.

Not to mention AMD processors are the worst to emulate with.

She's run her course and was damn good processor but I'm not fucking with AMD's 8-core line ups. They just don't really improve much on anything of value.

Microsoft is discontinuing support for newer hardware on Windows 7.
It might continue to work fine, it might have serious problems that Microsoft won't address.
Even them forcing an update that intentionally kills performance to try to force you to 10 can't be ruled out.

GNU/Linux is the only desktop PC OS now that doesn't have a company that controls it actively trying to kill it to force people to a more restrictive platform.

I've had windows updates turned off for 2 years, no problems here.

Yep. I've been using AMD for ever, and like I said the 965 served me damn well for many years, but it is starting to show its age. I was able to key the kabylake i7 for a whole $10 more than the skylake i7, and Z270-A on sale as well. So it was a no brainer to make the jump to intel with a completely new setup. Honestly though, the speeds I am seeing now editing large spreadsheets, videos, and pictures is crazy comparatively speaking. That and I finally went to a SSD for boot, and this new machine is on and running before I even sit down at the desk.

You have to get a haswell refesh or a broadwell then

Now you just need to configure a RAID 0 setup for even better speeds.

>Running without updates
That's super bad for your security you know?
Seriously, you shouldn't put a machine without the latest patches online. You're not just vulnerable to 0 day stuff but to things that have likely been exploited in the wild for years.
You could get your system taken over just looking at a website or downloading an image and never even know.

>LGA-1150 (1150 pins) socket supports all Intel Haswell 5th generation and some 4th generation processors which include Intel Core i7 (4790K, 4790, 4770K, 4771, 4770)

Goddammit, Hopefully it's not too expensive.

>LGA 1150 Gigabyte Z97-HD3 motherboard.

It will support i7s, just not the newest ones.

You'd want a 4790K probably. Still a very good processor.

Why is the 4790k more expensive than the 6700k/7700k?

If you're already using an 1150 motherboard and ddr3 ram I would just get an i5 4690k

Good enough for every emulation and game you can play with a 1060 6gb.

The i7's you cited are a huge waste of funds given the card you're using. If you were doing some dual 1080 money-is-no-object memery then it might be worth it.

Forgot to add if you don't already have an 1150 board/ddr3 just get a skylake i5, I would do the 6600k.

Thanks, I do have the 1150/ddr3 16gb.

I bought them years ago so ill probably just get a set up that supports the i7 6600k

>tfw notebook has an i7
>it's still shit

>it's shit because I can't pway my bideo gams ;(
Grow up kid. You bought a business laptop for WORKING, you complete retard.

So then, what's a good motherboard for the i7 6700k/7700k?

Some businesses have uniform hardware setups where from a support stand point its way cheaper to spend $400+ on a single rare old discontinued CPU to replace one that's failed than get a newer chip and have multiple hardware configurations.

That's why hardware prices tend to drop over time until they get to the point where they're old enough and suddenly the prices go up again.

Presumably because it isn't being manufactured anymore and availability is more limited.

It's up to you if you want to buy a new motherboard and a newer processor or fork out more for the older CPU and use the motherboard you already have.

Just got a 1070 and my fx 8250 is bottlenecking it.
I'm too paranoid to overclock, so I don't need unlocked right?
What would be the best new processor?

>AMD motherboard

You're not really going to get much better than what you already have. Might be time to get a new motherboard and at least an i5 6600K.

If you have a decent motherboard it will have safety features to prevent your PC from anheroing.

I want this new rig to last me a while so i'll just get new pieces.

I figured it had to do with it being limited. Thanks.

Ah yeah I get the appeal of upgrading a bit instead of milking older hardware if its been a while. Nice to be future proof too.

>>it's shit because I can't pway my bideo gams ;(
Where do you think we are.

Strictly for video games, is it really worth it to go for an i7 over an i5 if I'm not planning on some retardedly high end build?

AMD brings too many problems.

I have a friend who's copy of DS3 would not run whatsoever on his amd processor.

He had to buy an intel processor just to get it to run.

What im getting at is that you should upgrade your mobo/processor. Bite the bullet and help your 1070 run better.

Calling it shit because you bought it for the wrong purpose is fullretard.

>pc gaming

Any newer budget GPUs that are low TDP like the gtx 750?

An i7 doesnt go hand in hand with a "retardedly high end build"

You can get some of the early i7 models or go with an i5/gtx1060 6gb and be comfortable for a while.

please respond

I've been milking my set up for 8 years. When i upgrade, I want it to last me for at least the same.

Not that there is anything wrong with what I have right now. Just a little hedonism.

Asus Prime Z270-A

No, hyperthreading doesn't net any tangible performance benefit in games: techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i7-6700k-hyperthreading-test.219417/

and the raw extra performance is overkill for almost any current gpu setup

Look at Asrock motherboards. I think they are p.gud I'm not an expert but mine hasn't failed me after 5 years. Also the BIOS is very nice.

These look nice, might have to get some ddr4 too.

16gb doesnt seem too over the top.

Is there any practical use for 32gb of ram?

>Some of those get decreased performance with hyperthreading

What the fuck?

>raw extra performance

I feel like getting as much "extra performance" is necessary in this day and age of horribly optimized games that are coming out.

But that's a different problem.

16 will be fine. You don't need 32.

From what I've seen using an i7 nets you like 3 fps in most games, but I do agree with you, I've played some really shit ports. FFXIII just apes one core of your cpu and back when I was using an 8 core amd cpu it was unplayable.

All I play is very heavily modded Skyrim and FO4.

I'm looking to upgrade. I'm guessing what I need is a very strong processor, gpu and an SSD?

Maybe a lot of ram too.

Is the GTX 1050 worth it?

I don't want my electrical bills to go up the roof and my budget is limited

>don't want my electrical bills to go up the roof

Get the 1050 ti and make sure your current setup doesnt kill itself by using it.

ie. power supply, processor

What games do you play that you need a 1050?

Considering you're on a budget you might not have 1050 intensive games in your library.

>buying games

Ive got a 6700k and i feel like it was a waste of money. I only play at 1080p anyways and I could have definitely gotten away with a 5600k

>reading comprehension
>a library of games has to be paid

You can get an rx 470 for $170 before rebates on newegg and it's a much better card.

7700k no exceptions. Do not listen to anyone and get anything else unless you want to upgrade your motherboard/cpu in a couple of years

The 7770k should last you a long time especially if you buy a good cooler, mobo and psu combo and overclock it.

Aren't cannonlake CPU's rumored to come out during fall of this year? Also nvidia's next line of GPU's as well, might as well wait until Black Friday to do a whole PC build/upgrade.

I'm buying a 21:9 monitor. Still 1080p, but as long as I get 60+ constant frames, I'll be good.

Maybe get a 1440p monitor so it doesnt feel like that much of a waste.

>nvidia's next line of GPU's as well

Has it been that long since the 1050-80 line came out?

How much did you spend on your rig/monitor?

You seem very adamant about the 7700k. I want to know your specs.

why not just get a 4770k? I have 1070 and that and I run most shit on ultra/high at 1440p, give or take on actually hitting 144hz

I have an i5 2400. Haven't touched that shit since 2010.

I have a GTX 970.

What processor do I get?

Your socket is 1155, so get i5 3570 or 3570k

i7 3770 if you want to go full meme

Mostly because it's 100 dollars more than the 6700k.

>i7 3770 if you want to go full meme

What the fuck do you mean by that?

Golem get ye gone.