I've never played a Baldur's Gate game before. How are the enhanced versions of them...

I've never played a Baldur's Gate game before. How are the enhanced versions of them? GoG has a sale on a bunch of games, including them

Have you ever played a isometric RPG?
BG2 is a 100h game and really monotonous if you aren't engrossed into the world.

People shit on them all the time but I think the enhanced editions and Siege of Dragonspear were pretty good. The new content isn't amazing but its pretty fun. If you like CRPGs then go for it I say.

2 is better than 1 but your character transfers over so you get an epic experience if you play through the whore series.

is probably right though. I had a lot of fun partly by learning the lore and reading all the book items you pick up in the game.

enhanced versions are really good. I recommend playing POE (the kickstarter spiritual successor by Obsidian) after them so you can appreciate the quality of life improvements that game delivers. Only big downside of Pillars is that your party members are way less interesting than in Baldurs Gate.

Play BG2:EE and ignore new npcs. Have fun bro.

GOG gives you the classic games when you buy the enhanced editions, so that's basically a non-issue (Steam doesn't though), but they're pretty bad compared to a regular Baldur's Gate modded with bugfixes and widescreen support and whatnot.

He asked how the enhanced editions were, not the quality of the games themselves.

I've played quite a few isometric RPGs yes, my favorites are Fallout, ToEE and Geneforge.

Does the enhanced versions change the original game a lot? I try to stick to the original developers' vision when playing games

The enhanced editons are fine since the original content is left alone and the most the mods that matter are compatible. The only thing different about the EE is you get a handful of middling to bad party members that you can totally ignore if you want to and you don't have to waste time installing the resolution and widescreen mods.

>Does the enhanced versions change the original game a lot? I try to stick to the original developers' vision when playing games

Not really. Essentially, you're paying for a modded version of BG. BG2 has new npcs but nobody likes them anyway.
Also I don't know about 2, but in 1 they fucked up the graphics in some places. I think they made the game brighter overall but didn't account for the resulting visibility of pixels and aliasing in the shadows.

Nah it doesn't change it at all, it just adds some new party members and their associated questlines. They mainly fix the UI and the resolution and that sort of thing.

Siege of Dragonspear is an expansion for the first game that came out only a couple of years ago, by the guys that did the enhanced editions. Its totally separate from the main game though, I'd describe it more as BG 1.5 because it is so self-contained, and sort of bridges the somewhat abrupt plot change going from 1 to 2.

I played and finished 1 recently. Some parts were a pain in the ass but overall it was a great experience.The game has a lot of character, plenty of lore and little stuff that make the experience worth it. The gameplay is satisfying if you managed to fuck things up.

Negative stuff: irregular difficulty, terrible pathfinding, poor hints as to where you should go sometimes

I played the original GOG version because I like things comfy. Will play 2 once I have the time.

Did you mod it?

>you will never get a PC port/remaster of Dark Alliance 1&2

>I've never played a Baldur's Gate game before.
It's definitely an experience that takes some getting used to (RTwP combat is confusing at first), and it's also an insanely huge timesink. I love it personally, but it's not for everyone.
>How are the enhanced versions of them?
They're easier to get going with because they're essentially on par with the originals + mods, but without having to go through the effort of installing mods for it yourself. Unfortunately they also introduce some cringeworthy npcs that utterly fail to feel like part of the in-game world.

If you're going to play the GoG version then I'd recommend starting with BG1 until you have a feel for how the combat works (even if it's just going through the Candlekeep tutorials), and skipping ahead to BG2 if you're getting bored and want to get on with the plot.

Shadows of Amn is the best part of the trilogy. Don't play SoD.

No. Like I said I like to keep it comfy. You can mod it though. Widescreen and other stuff if you want.

>GoG has a sale on a bunch of games
Don't give Beamdog money, seriously.

>I'd recommend starting with BG1 until you have a feel for how the combat works (even if it's just going through the Candlekeep tutorials), and skipping ahead to BG2

Enhanced Editions are fine, just be warned that BG1 starts really slowly and it's BG2 that gives the series its legendary reputation. It's a long journey and it's certainly worth it, but it might not impress at first.

They added some fat faggot mage NPC that acts all butthurt if you kill Drizzt and steal his shit. Ruins the experience.

If you want to try modding the original game yourself, then (after pirating yourself a copy of BG1/2/ToB):
tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-ultimate-baldurs-gate-experience/
roughly follow that guide (I won't judge you for letting ammo stack up to 999), but DON'T install the Ascension mod or Sword Coast Stratagems. Some links in '6. Final Steps' don't work any more but you're really after the balancing tweaks and banterpacks so that's fine.

>irregular difficulty, terrible pathfinding, poor hints as to where you should go sometimes
This is all true.

So you reckon I should mod the original games for the best experience?

>Geneforge
mah nigga, hope you should those taker scum who is boss

>be a big Forgotten Realms fan
>really try hard to enjoy these games
>ultimately can't get into any of them

Please help.

Start with vanilla. This isn't a Bethesda game.

Just pirate them. The original devs aren't even getting any money from the EE

I'm only saying that because the average Sup Forumsirgin can't handle the long slog between the start of Nashkel and finishing Cloakwood mines.

I always play through the full trilogy of 1/2/tob when I try, and I'd recommend doing that, but I also realise that SoA is the highlight of the series for most people, and you really need to be able to relax and immerse yourself in the game to properly enjoy BG1.

By modding I mean widescreen fix and such.

>So you reckon I should mod the original games for the best experience?
Ideally yes, but the EE version isn't bad or anything as long as you avoid the custom npcs they added.

If you want to try modding the originals for yourself then more or less what said. Try to avoid adding custom npcs or romances until you've at least played it without them.

Tried Neverwinter Nights?

BG1 is a great game on its own. 8/10. If 2 was somehow better then you get to have even more fun. I can't imagine any normie/casual would even care at all so you might want to actually give good advice instead of assuming everyone is a ADD kid.

The sequel I did. Dropped it after an hour or two in Waterdeep.

I guess you're just not a big fan of this kind of gameplay. Divinity OS is a similar thing with a different combat system, you might like that more.

If you get EE that will be done for you and good luck getting a copy of the original games legally. Maybe go for one of the unofficial bugfix patches?

>good luck getting a copy of the original games legally.
if you buy the EE off gog you get the original games too

BG1 is a great game from an open world role-playing perspective. BG2 is where the story pushes forward, and gameplay really gets much more interesting, especially from a spellcaster's perspective.

I haven't played 2 but I assume having played 1 beforehand will make 2 more enjoyable. So skipping 1 doesn't make sense if you're in it for the story.

Another reason is there's a lot of awkwardness when you first play those games due to you not yet understanding how everything works exactly so you might want to have this phase with 1 so you don't have to in 2.

>you get an epic experience if you play through the whore series
I compretery agree.

Fucking freudian slip right there, damn.

Is that shitty action games like demon stone?

No they're like Diablo.

>Diablo
The worst genre to exist.

What's the difference between tutu and trilogy? What do I need for Imoen mod?

People recommend to skip the first game because it's "boring".

>Siege of Dragonspear
>Good

Since there is a thread already, what does enchanced edition of IWD changes exactly? I'm currently playing EE of the first one and will move on to the second once I finish. The problem is EE of IWD 2 is probably never ever so how much am I shooting myself in a foot here if I play vanilla?

Okay, I was just rustling through shit and found fucking NPC pack with banter for it. Like, wtf? I have to start over again.

My only problem was ddraw fix for iwd2.

Do mods work with the enhanced edition?

but how do I know which are the new pcs if I've never played it before?

You will know.

maybe

> Only big downside of Pillars is that your party members are way less interesting than in Baldurs Gate
This is some extreme Nostalgia Vision, and I say that as someone who spent a fuckton of hours in the IE games. I can't think of any BG/BG2 party members that come close to Durance and Kana for instance. Some are mildly forgetable, but even Eder the generic Fighter has a more tangible personality than any similar character in BG.

Also Minsc should be completely disregarded unless you're the type of person who likes repeating Monty Python quotes.

not him but Hexxat is one of them, right? I started playing the game with a friend recently and when we found her we were in fucking tears because her voice actor is the worst fucking thing we've ever heard

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

I'm not even sure what's up with her portrait, in our game she looks like a retarded not-lightning but when you look her up on google she's a niggress

Try her bugged quest then. In ToB it even can lock you out of the game.

Hexxat was the worst fucking thing brought by the EE and i say that as a /u/fag

This. I played PoE before BG and I remember jack squat from BG/BG2. Might just be my shitty memory though.

objectively wrong

What's wrong with it? As a brief aside between the two games I thought it was neat.

If you tolerate character assassination and bullshit LGBT, then no wonder it's good for you.

YOU

Name any NPC in BG, BG2 and I'll summarize them in a short sentence.

Imoen.

>Does the enhanced versions change the original game a lot? I try to stick to the original developers' vision when playing games

Yes. The Enhanced Edition uses BG2's engine, which drastically changes magic, class abilities, and in some cases even mechanics such as stealth. It has things like pausing the game on opening the inventory, which you are not supposed to be able to do in BG1. It has features that were added as late as the BG2 expansion, like bags of holding or highlighting items you can interact with, both goes against BG1's gameplay philosophy.

They are shit. They're re-releases you'd be an idiot to buy, when you can just buy the originals and put a little effort into modding them with a bunch of cut content restored.

GoG even has a page explaining how the fuck to mod the games.

playful little sister, secretly a bhaalspawn. Wow the depth.

>Blast it, Khalid! You die, and I-I swear you'll never hear the end of it!
I heard it way too often on my playthrough.

>gameplay really gets much more interesting, especially from a spellcaster's perspective.
Personally I prefer low level mage gameplay in D&D much more than high level.
Each spell matters so much more and so does character positioning when a single well placed sleep or scorcher can win a fight.

You also cant abuse stupid shit like sequencers.

>In ToB it even can lock you out of the game
How so? We were actually planning on doing her quest because that voice acting was so bad it became a fucking meme with my friend
If it can screw us we're no touching her though

Incest bait that you can't rape for some reason.

She will teleport your group to some place and you can't leave it until you beat it. Certain enemy cannot die, he will keep attacking you even with 0 health and won't let you leave.
I think have to imprison him to avoid this bug, or maybe they patched it already.

last time i played EE versions they were riddled with bugs and didn't offer anything of real value. i'd stick with the vanilla+totsc combo. maybe a gog version if there is one

alright, either way we're not taking any risks, thanks for the heads up

Enhanced versions are fine. Cheaper to just install Tutu mod, but if you are lazy they are great.

I always up the frame rates in BG1 just so it doesn't feel so damn slow. 45 fps seems about right.

For those that don't know, Beamdog is bad at this so they hid the baldur configuration file in the documents folder as baldur.lua. Just change the 30 under frames to 45 and it should work fine.

There is a mod for that

I didn't even know about the LGBT thing til after' i'd beaten the game.

>character assassination
what?

You don't want to know. Really you don't.

Whatever dude

The quick rundown:
>Hexxat is a vampire imprisoned in a tomb
>She uses her mind control powers to take over girls to free her
>You can help her latest victim
>On the way there you will kill a big, bad vampire
>Once free Hexxat will kill her defenseless victim right in front of you
>Then you can have her join up
>You can have Anomen, Minsc (racial enemy: Vampire) and Keldorn all standing there and nobody says a word or kills that monster
>As a vampire Hexxat can't travel in sunlight or travel far from her coffin
>No problem: The vampire you killed just happened to have super unique items, like a cloak protecting from sunlight and a bag of holding with Hexxats coffin in it
>Hexxat is from some very far country, basically the only one of her race on the whole continent
>Hexxat is a lesbian
>Hexxat manages to convince just about any party member that she's totally okay and doesn't need to be killed.
>She still goes out and kills to feed herself, though

I rate her a 7.3/10 on the snowflake scale and a 9/10 on the Mary Sue scale since she has impossible items who just happen to lie there for her.

In addition to that she constantly bugs out. Her romance is so shittily written and so eratic that I genuinely thought several times that I had missed like three dialogues. She has extremely jarring interactions with other NPCs, like Bodhi, who seems actually afraid or cautious of Hexxat.

Fuck Hexxat. Of course, any criticism of Hexxat was ignored, since it was obviously just angry straight, white males complaining about a black, lesbian woman. (even though 99% of those men jerked it to Viconia from age 13 - 19)

>abuse her
>it's ok
>try to rape her
>she kills you
That's the only relationship mod i know of.

The quick rundown (again):
The whole thing makes no sense. Cealar wants to go to hell to free her uncle who fell in the last demon war. Okay, so far so good. For that she needs your half divine blood to open a portal, so her army of peasants can invade hell. (what a great idea).

Instead of just offering you some pants of smooth shits +2, she -a half celestial paladin of goodness- hires assassins to poison you and bring you to her.

Then her army invades and pillages a whole bunch of shit, prompting military retaliation against her.

Instead of calling off her stooges and sending you a letter explaining what she needs, she epically tricks you into murdering her whole army, just so she can then invade hell with ...10 dudes.

Then you follow her, murder some demons, murder the final boss of Icewind Dale and (hopefully) murder her too.

Afterwards Irenicus stabs some annoying NPC and you have to team up with NPCs who might hate you to flee. Just so you have the canon party when Irenicus catches you 5mins later.

So the story is only slightly better than paying a crack whore to chew on your dick.

The game has further problems. Items for example. Since they can't give you any items stronger than those found in BG2, you stick with your BG1 equipment.
What they can give you is a bunch of highly specific items only certain character classes can use or get the full bonus from. Like a cap that gives +1 Cha, but +2 if you're a bard or a shield giving +1 AC, but +2 if you're a dwarfen priest of Lathander (seriously, that specific for that little of a bonus)

The NPCs also got some work done. Certain NPCs like Khalid, Jaheira and Safana got reworked. Turning Khalid from a timid, shy guy into a commander of an army. You can also hire a goblin shaman and explore the thrilling troubles of fantasy racism against an objectively worse, less intelligent and more evil race. Her skillset is also fiddly and annyoing. Luckily, summoning spirits is near useless anyway.

Plus the game makes the whole series worse. Believe it or not, but the writing of the trilogy was actually pretty decent. A basis of that is that themes of the story are discussed in the game in a logical order.
In BG1 you slowly discover that you're half divine. BG2 sees you deal with a mortal trying to usurp your soul while you figure out if your heritage controls you or you control your heritage. BG ToB sees you deal with your siblings and bringing to an end the saga, culminating in your decision to either reject divinity or becoming a god.

Siege literally has you meet Irenicus who sums up your personal story of BG2 for you, just so Siege had a reason to include him.

Apart from those big flaws, the game has a host of smaller problems. Like even though you're the most important person in Celias plan to send peasants to hell, nobody in her army recognises you.

That means you can infiltrate TWO of her bases and then later slaughter those bases. In one case you even murdered the guards right outside the entrance and nobody gives a shit. You're a complete stranger to them, but are still allowed to join up.

The interface...is fucking atrocious now, the new classes are shit, the graphics got worse! A 20 year old game got worse graphics!

Siege is a piece of shit game. Any redeeming qualities it has come from BG itself. Nothing Beamdog added was good or even reached the quality of BG.
I mean it, anything in Siege that is fun, is there because the base game contained it already.

Well, apart from one or two really big battles. But those are kind of ruined by fog of war anyway. Once you realise that literally any AoE buff or debuff wins you the fight, they also lose all challenge.

Summary: I hope Beamdog starts printing caricatures of Mohammed before they get their greasy, likely tattoed hands on more of BG.

Fair enough, your points are pretty reasonable. That's not what character assassination means though.

Wait what, Irenicus is in Siege? God fucking dammit. And it's been awhile but I thought at the end of Baldur's Gate 1 that your divinehood was still somewhat ambiguous and it wasn't until 2 that you're confronted with reality.

It's great, but you should pirate them

I remember when it came out, the change in .ini didn't even work. I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes with 30fps. 45 is where it is.