Why is it that most Japanese games look so low budget? Even BOTW looks like an early PS3 game

Why is it that most Japanese games look so low budget? Even BOTW looks like an early PS3 game.

Most of them are low budget, BOTW runs on PS3-tier hardware.

>fpbp
For actually being true.

The development scene is Japan has been dying a death of a thousand cuts; bleeding out since late PS2/early PS3. Japanese gamers tend to stick with low horse power portable devices (phones, 3DS, maybe Vita) so the market has shifted to cater to them. Console games that are made out of Japan barring a few AAA big budget games (MGS V, RE 7, FF XV) are way more similar to AA or even high-end indie titles on PC/PSN/XBL.

The Japanese are technologically enlightened. They are not obsessed with trivial bullshit like polygon count.

Still kinda gimped that Nioh has amazing character models but holy shit what is with the low poly environment.

Japs can't into technology.

Why do you think there are no prolific game engines that ever came out of Japan? They're all trash.

Thank christ it does, i got killed so many times in bloodborne when blood sprayed and fire was flashing and sparks were flying and there's a million goddamn particle effects and magic beams and shit going everywhere. My ps4 would drop to an unplayable 10fps, and in a game where you cant fucking block, and get punished even harder for fucking up a dodge than if you just stood still, it really was a nightmare. Don't even get me started on the chalice dungeons, i might as well have been playing a fucking slideshow

>Japs can't into technology.

Kek are you genuinely that retarded?

Japan is collectively stuck in the 90's with their computer technology.

Because they found it cheaper to just pump out low budget waifu garbage.

They actually cant nowadays. They stopped being an technological giant in the 90s. Everything, from games to office hardware is outdated as fuck.

The only decent game engine from Japan was the Fox engine by Kojima studios.

>I'll take Things Salty PCucks Say for 200

Japs are notoriously shit at english which causes them to miss out on any technological vidya progress made in the west

>this entire thread

DUDE 4K GRAPHICS LMAO I CAN FAP TO THAT HDR 60FPS ROCK LOL

This is just sad.

Dude have you seen inJUSTice 2 or Mass Effect 4?

I don't think that this is a Japan problem only.

I think it has most to do with the fact that most of the old school talented people have left the industry and got replaced by diversity employees and talentless hecks

Its not just their games. Even their movies look low budget as fuck that its kind of embarassing to see them use godawful effects.

Gameplay > Sound > Graphics > Story

I'm going to fall asleep listening to the silmarillion audiobook on youtube later.

We've reached the point where Art style and direction are more important than texture resolution and poly counts

And despite that, there will be parts of Mass Effect 4 that will be breath taking. Whereas Japanese games have to really rely on you being such a wimp to cry at their melodramatic plots that dont make sense.

I take graphics and story over sound everyday

Sounds comfy desu

>there will be parts of Mass Effect 4 that will be breath taking

Like what, the cost of the season pass?

Peebee's futacoc

I honestly think it's quality in most cases rather than pushing just for the game to look good

nothing wrong with looking like a PS3 game.
Persona 5 is a PS3 game yet aesthetic wise it looks more pleasing than any of the hyper realistic games.