Tired Gamer General

Remember when video games were good?
When did they stop being fun for you?

They stopped being fun after getting a job.

Vidya is entering a new Silver age

Not yet, my tired friend, games come in all variety and flavors, stop piss-e-gayming and play some fin games on consoles and handhelds for a chango, you'll actually find something worthwile if you step out of hora confort zone

when I entered in Sup Forums

Around 2006, since then only some very few indie releases have been worthwhile, AAA games are gutter trash.

after i started playing euro boardgames and started recognising the difference between good game systems and time wasters.

everything was ruined when WoW came out

every genre every platform for all time

Gotta admit, I started appreciated tight design and shorter games a hell of a lot more after getting into boardgames.

i admit that the older i get the harder its to enjoy new games anymore

even ordering soup at the city might be a bigger thrill than say playing battlefield 1

Just try different genres, or investigate weird looking indie games. I find that indies are pretty hit or miss, but when they hit they knock it out of the park.

Ever since i finished high school. I still keep buying new games in hopes of recapturing the magic i once felt, but i never do.

If games aren't fun for you anymore then you should get the fuck out and get another hobby instead of wasting your time here and wishing things were better for you.

Someone just recommended me a random space game and I just got done enjoy a long 4 hours section in it, vidya is still just as great.

>Someone just recommended me a random space game and I just got done enjoy a long 4 hours section in i
so you enjoyed the intro the first cutscene and the tutorial
congratulations! you like movies

Last game I played was GTAV then the 8th gen came along, that was the exact moment when it completely killed it for me, I started watching old films now from Hitchcock, Kubrick, Bergman, and Kurosawa, everyone needs a hobby I guess

Video games are still fun. I am 28, married, have a job that takes me out of the house for 11 hours a day and a baby on the way. I STILL find games fun. I just don't like single player games much anymore, that's the only difference. Been playing a lot of Smash 4 online and Rocket League. I set up and play Mugen once a week with some friends, like a Poker night, sort of thing. Single player games have lost their magic for me. I dont give a shit about story or graphics. The only thing that keeps me going in a single player game any more is being able to compete against myself for time, points or something.

Although, I did just play through Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (why didn't they just call it Momodora 4?). Holy fuck, that was fun.

I think the problem is not that developers a shit this days (which they are), but rather that every single genre has already been milked dry.

Everything has been done, so whenever you play a new game, ragardless of being modern or old, it feels like you've played it before. There's literally no room for innovation.

Add to that that most people in this thread are close to being 30 and you can see that this problem has no solution.

Just accept that video games will occupy a much smaller space in your life from now on and find something else to amuse yourself.

>I don't know any games other than AAA-heavy cinematic focused "epic" games

Maybe this is why the hobby sucks for you.

>euro boardgames
such as?

>playing battlefield 1
It's a well made game, but I gotta admit that the only reason why I enjoy what is basically another military FPS is because of the WW1 theme, which I love

When I couldn't keep up with all the dlc and season pass

I concur. Va-11 Hall-a was probably the best game I played in 2016

A long time ago, around the release of WoW : BC.

Then I got a PS4 recently and discovered Yakuza 0 and Bloodborne, it felt like the fucking fountain of Youth

When I realised videogames were just a way to fill the void that I am unable to fulfil through nourishing social interactions.

when they started getting dumb.
Starbound is prime example
One of early versions: Features hunger system and temperature system. Fog in the morning, risk of freezing to death at night. Have to make shelter or warm up near campfires at nights/on cold planets, have to eat.
Now:
4 planets. Normal, cold, hot, radiation.
Warm up near campfire on cold planet? Nope, craft a special item for "survival". Radiation suit for radiation planets? Nope, upgrade previous item, it now makes you cold resistant AND radiation resistant.
Diving gear? Fuck that, here, craft this one item and you don't need to breathe at all!
I'm mad. I'm so fucking mad anons. They dumb it down.
DOS x-com HAS fucking INVENTORY MANAGEMENT. Ammo, grenades, guns-everything takes slots. Nowadays? Ha ha no, you get a slot for grenade, a slot for weapon, a slot for this, a slot for that. I want inventory management.
everything is getting dumbed into nothingness.
Before, I was given a quest and I would have to find the quest item. Now I have arrow pointing where to go. I don't even bother reading/listening to dialogue anymore. Talk-quest-yes-accept-follow marker-kill target/collect useless shit-return quest-get reward-a winner is you.
When I was a wee lad, I once forgot to read a dialogue. Resulted in getting stuck, had to reload game.

Picrelated, target audience of modern games.

when they became business over games

>start indie shit game
>tutorial
>boring ass dialoges for hours
same shit without expensive cutscenes

before you needed to cater to the lowest common denominator to make any money on a game.

It used to be you could charge a bunch of money for a good game that appealed to a niche audience. Now everyone wants everything for $5 on a steam sale and it had better provide 100+ hours of playtime, so if you want to make money you had better make sure it's as watered-down and mass-consumable as a hollywood blockbuster and have more padding than a highschooler's bra.

As usual, customers ruin the arts

Honestly around the seventh generation I was already starting to feel burnt out. I can hardly think of any truly stand-out titles, and the ones that were were generally smaller productions. The really big AAA franchises and developers all started to go downhill around that period, imo.

I actually think >le big corporations meme holds some truth to it. Modern game design has an exponentially larger scope to it than in the past, just sheerly on the production side(i.e. asset creation, lighting/shaders, music, sound effects, voiceover). It's just not possible to produce a modern high-profile game with the tight-knit studios of the past; modern workflows have been retooled for teams of hundreds of marginally-skilled but readily-available workers. The result is that we get games that are simply bland. They end up feeling like shit because part of what makes games good is novelty -- if you take away that one thing, it kind of undermines what games are all about, even if everything else is decent.

Now, contrary to some on here, I don't necessarily think an industry collapse is going to somehow solve these problems. And I don't try to parade around like some contrarian hipster about how I'd rather have a game that looks like shit but plays great, because I'm not a hypocrite and it's not a simple sliding scale between looks and quality. But honestly I don't really know what the solution is. What we really need is someone with both the balls and reputation/influence to force a game with uncompromising vision(Kojima, maybe?), or for a publisher to actually have faith in a dev for once instead of shooting everything down and focusgrouping everything to death. Preferably both. But I just don't see that happening any time soon, and don't know how it could be brought about.

they're still fun, but only when I'm emulating older games, for the most part. I'm not really interested in most modern games.

I've learnt that you sometimes have to persevere with games before they become good. I learnt this when playing tlou, I wasn't feeling it, but then my friend told me to keep going, all of a sudden I was completely engrossed and it's now one of my favorite games of all time.

The same applies to different types of games ie souls games were you have to git gud, multi players were you have to learn maps and tactics and also story driven games like yakuza.

I think we all demand instant gratification these days, especially younger people. Sticking with a game can really make a difference.

>I don't necessarily think an industry collapse is going to somehow solve these problems
Order from chaos. To build something new, you first have to free space for it. These big companies are old, their games are lacking, ridden with microtransactions and DLCs like lice in hair of a fallen old man. Yet they clinge to life, to their warm place, to their money. It would be only right to push them over the edge to free up place for the new, young and daring generation.

>tlou

>nonsensical romantic bullshit
Yes well, why don't you go kys my dear fellow?

Because I'm yet to take my place in this world.
Death is for the old.

Truly there's nothing like a good, dry Euro.

Never.
Games are fun.