Nintendo Switch has the same hardware specification as Nvidia Shield TV

shacknews.com/article/99018/rumor-nintendo-switch-graphics-and-hardware-specs-leaked

Switch has an extra GB of RAM for the OS

It built on the 2nd Maxwell architecture (GTX 900's series from 2 years ago)

Performance wise it will have the same performance as an overclocked GTX 920/930m.

Maxwell architecture great for older DX 11 titles, horrible for Vulkan and newer Unity engine's (Doesn't have real Async computing just CPU heavy Simulated one.... Which will probably worse on a mobile/tablet CPU at 2Ghz.

TL;DR: Nvidia had a Shield 2.0 prototype, they showed it to Nintendo, Nintendo snatched it up and jewed out some stuff (1080p screen, disconnectable controller instead of bigger battery). And they selling a $170-200 ( retail price... Its probably cost around 100-150 to make Switch console) tablet with controllers for $300

Oh and you need to use a smartphone for social stuff: Chat massaging, Partying, DLC's, ETC.

>inb4 this is a Dev kit leak from 9 months ago

And you think they changed a whole architecture from Maxwell to Pascal in 9 months? No its still Maxwell, and that's more than enough for me. Also there is no such thing as "Third Generation Maxwell"... Nvidia is already working on Volta.

Also the desktop equivalent of the Nintendo Switch APU:

products.amd.com/en-us/search/APU/AMD-A-Series-Processors/AMD-A8-Series-APU-for-Desktops/A8-7600-with-Radeon™-R7-Series/62

The cheapest 4 core APU: $60

I'm pretty sure the A4-7300 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor beats the Nvidia shield in games what only utilizes 1-2 cores ant thats only $30

But hey its portable and can play Zelda on it

Other urls found in this thread:

laptopmedia.com/highlights/nvidia-geforce-930m-2gb-ddr3-benchmark-results-and-gaming-tests/
youtube.com/watch?v=ME7kQuB5GAA
appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/12/apple-ceo-tim-cook-meets-nintendo-executives-plays-super-mario-run-in-japan-visit
squishturtle.com/nintendo-switch-cpu-limited-in-portable-mode-5056547860ca
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kimishima is making nintendo go full jew this gen.
Iwata wouldn't have done this.

>and can play Zelda on it

Yeah you buy nintendo for nintendo games
This has been true since the N64
What a useless thread

Actually Iwata was heavily involved in the switch development

The development sure, I doubt they went as far as to decide the pricing of the system and accessories, plus the paid online before his death.

Imagine how much of a cut Nvidia gets

So does that make it easy or hard to hack?

I think you can hack it as you can hack the PS4. I mean you can put a custom OS on it, but as for piracy or homebrew stuff, its pretty limited.

Knowing Nintendo its going to be hacked just as now the 3DS got, but only years later

What the fuck does the graphic chipset in the console have to do with hacking.

>920/930m

the actual madmen.

But user, its already been stated that this is a Portable Nvidia Shield TV 2 (Or Shield 2)

Android is easily hackable, hell I wouldn't be suprised if the first hacks they put on will be using the same stuff as the Shield series

Just because it's nvidia tablet doesn't mean it uses android you fucking mongoloid.
Nvidia just makes the hardware, then nintendo puts their own software in it.

>And they selling a $170-200 ( retail price... Its probably cost around 100-150 to make Switch console) tablet with controllers for $300
I already said this a few weeks back but nintendrones are too blind to realize that Nintendo or most companies sell their products at 50% or above manufacturing cost.

You also forgot that Tegra is a losing product line by Nvidia. Nintendo snatching it up was literally a godsend to them so we know Nintendo even got these chips way cheaper than normal.

But.... that's the point

I mean they already put Windows 10 on Nvidia shield. As you said if its going to be the same hardware, what do you think how much will it take them to put Windows 10 (or Linux... or anything) on the Switch

Its like Nintendo ran be retards now

>GUIIS OUR CONSOLE MARKET IS FAILING BUT OUR HANDHELD MARKET IS BETTER THAN EVER
>I KNOW LETS BUILD AN UNDERPOWERED CONSOLE WHAT IS PORTABLE

Wait...is the Switch capable of 4k (3840x2160)? Is that what the table on the left is saying?

Probably just for UHD video...still impressive that Nintendo is even aware resolutions above 1080p exist.

fake news

>OUR HANDHELD MARKET IS BETTER THAN EVER
No it's not the 3DS fell more than 60% sales compared to DS, their worst handheld performance ever.

That's not because Nintendo, but because Nvidia.

Its like phone gaming got big or something

Denial

So?

>Its going to be weaker than the Nvidia Shield TV

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well Shield TV is a console with a lot of power draw, but that Galaxy S6 is impressive.

S6 was a great phone, now you can buy it for relative cheap.The S7 probably outperforms the Nvidia Switch

>horrible for Vulkan and newer Unity engine's
So how's that Yooka Laylee port looking? That uses newer Unity, correct?

Switch is downclocked by about 50% from the Shield TV because it's mobile.

In performance its probably closer to an overclocked 720-730m but its still Maxwell architecture

That's the only reason to buy a nintendo console is for their games. Most of them have been shit lately. The rest are ports/multi plats better off being played elsewhere.

Considering that the instruction sets are available on more open devices like the Nvidia Shield systems it might actually be easier to emulate or exploit.

That's true, but I didn't wanted to bring that up because 50% downclock is =/= -50% performance.

Its still a kinda big performance loose, but you only loose like 10-30% (Depending on scenario of course)

It still can be run off course. If its optimized well. But I wouldn't be suprisde if its a inferior product compared to the other versions

>tfw your phone has a better cpu than the shield

The big thing to this is that they removed the little CPU (a Cortex A53 due to being a stander on the X1) and that the Switch is FP16 only for battery life issues.

This will not last outside Japan..

If you see how much USB 3.1 type C docks cost ($120-200) then $90 is not that much.

Expect Nintendo to close down shop in South East Asia (and maybe Asia as a whole excluding their HQ in Japan) and Oceania as everyone imports in those markets, just like in Latin America.

Nintendrone's will be still buying it because muh games, making nintendo to go slowly but completely Software, selling their games on all platforms

Normie: I want to live in a world where my phone is as strong as a Console
Nintendo: Say no more senpai!

You'd be surprised. They probably had to find a target price point even before they decided on anything just because of market research.

You seen how low the Wii U did.
Normies don't play with consoles, they only play on PCs.

I know, im excited, I want to play nintendo games on my PC.

>Rumor
Stopped reading there

>rumor
not a rumor, facts

>GTA 5 (768p, Medium Setting) on a 930m
>16fps

laptopmedia.com/highlights/nvidia-geforce-930m-2gb-ddr3-benchmark-results-and-gaming-tests/

So can we seriously expect that kind of performance with the Switch?

>the Switch is FP16 only for battery life issues.
This can't possibly be true. If it was limited to 16-bit floats, games would have terrible geometry and z-buffer issues

They're just reporting the gflops in FP16. It's 512 max FP32 gflops, which it probably doesn't reach even in docked mode as it has no active cooling

>3.25GB shared system ram
No, GTAV couldn't run at all

Switch have active cooling though, even in handheld mode. Though won't reach near Shield TV level.

I really dont care

I've got my pc for high performance lackluster games

Meanwhile on GPD Win

youtube.com/watch?v=ME7kQuB5GAA

It's been confirmed to have no fan in either the base or dock. Passive only

Please ignore that user. We've trained him to suck nintendos dick. As a joke.

>Switch have active cooling though, even in handheld mode.
>even in handheld mode
>even

The dock doesn't have cooling in in faggot.

nintendo is trying to be like apple.

sell a shit product at maximum price, but spend more on marketing to retards so they'll buy it anyway and think its really hip, for massive profits

The device itself has a fan. Inlet vent at the back, outlet vent on top. The dock has slots to facilitate airflow coming in.

They're gonna fail at doing that.

>Look at my phone from 4 years ago
>screen size: 5.5in
>resolution: 1440p

Kill yourself nintendrone

It has vents to facilitate airflow, yes, but there's no fan.

As in the fan runs in handheld and docked mode. Some people think the fan doesn't run in handheld mode but only in docked mode, hence the increased performance in docked mode. In reality, the increase in performance is up to developers how much they want to limit in handheld mode.

So how would games like Witcher 3, DOOM, and other modern third party titles run on it if at all?

>my precious toy wars

>""""""""""rumor"""""""""
>""""""""""leak"""""""""
the people who actually have the device and measure the power draw said it has to be pascal

This the dev kit leak though also OP can't inb4

considering the fact that they themselves are apple shills, its pretty obvious

>appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/12/apple-ceo-tim-cook-meets-nintendo-executives-plays-super-mario-run-in-japan-visit

Says the fag who shit on PC and is like "at least nintendo has gud games" if you dont play PC games dont shit on PC fag

Yes fan

squishturtle.com/nintendo-switch-cpu-limited-in-portable-mode-5056547860ca
>The text goes on to say the cooling fan speed is also limited to a lower setting. This, it explains, is because it is assumed that users will be using the device up close and the fan running at a high speed would sound too loud. The lower fan speed would make cooling less efficient, therefore the console’s CPU is limited to ensure the device doesn’t overheat. Further, the limitations help with power consumption, leading to longer battery life.

>A4-7300
this is a 65w desktop component. You're a fucking idiot.

>he thinks his phone can play games beyond 720 resolution

Alright I had a good laugh

Multiple anons who have played it at events have confirmed there's no airflow or sound from the tablet, either in handheld mode or docked.

There's no fan in the tablet. There's no fan in the dock. There's no fan.

>He doesn't know about moonlight

Good for you

>streaming

>le Apple/Nintendo comparison
Nintendo has done this for years and fucking years and it's known. You come for the games and get some letdown by the hardware itself.

>N64
Stayed with carts out of load time and piracy concerns, lost the battle against PS1. Technically 64-bit but very hard to use that correctly with the PS1 being easier to dev for. Cartridge decision means high cost per game and longer lead time to make more of a game if it turns out to be a hit. Underestimated the degree to which devs would use the system requiring the sale of the expansion pak later.

>Gamecube
Awesome form factor and controller, but no online and no real move to be online properly (Sony was late but there, Xbox live was first class). Boneheaded decision to use mini discs as an anti-piracy measure backfires by reducing capacity to a third/a sixth (single layer/dual layer) DVD requiring textures, moving video, etc. to be cut or reduced in quality when putting games on the gamecube.

>Wii
Gamecube plus basically with muh waggle. Proper use of single layer DVD, but dual layers are not tested in early production runs and some older consoles get into trouble reading discs when dual layer games like smash come out. Waggling accuracy overestimated and they have to introduce an attachment/upgraded remote to do some of the shit promised, which consumers have to buy. Underpowered graphically with shit online.

>Wii U
Again underpowered, came out against the Xbone and PS4 with older gen hardware. Devs are not really trying to make many games on par on Wii u and many are just making it for Xbone/PS4. Sales suffer with lack of exclusives and tablet/iPhones killing the casual market that made the original wii print money.

This doesn't include all the handhelds. Ironically, Apple is the one that killed the handheld gaming market; the app store made it easy for devs to reach end users without a dedicated gaming platform so now people play games on the phone they have in their pocket

Patents have this way of covering bases that don't necessarily make it into the final product.

Are you daft? There's an inlet vent and outlet vent. Air won't move pass through this channel without a fan. And it's mentioned in the patents.

So what you're saying is they removed the cooling fan, but left the two enormous vents in the design.

I love how console children are learning about CPU throttling for the first time ever and think it's some kind of scandal

here
Nintendo has always played second fiddle on specs, particularly in the handheld market (the DS was underpowered to PSP and 3DS to Vita). Yet both were more successful than the Sony counterparts (I say more successful because calling the 3DS a success is a stretch).

The problem is that this is bridging the gap between a home console and a portable one. I love the potential for the portable games and nintendo stepping up their game for portables to make the games richer, but I'm worried at the cost it will come. If framerates suffer and the console can't keep up this is going to tank. Nintendo needs a good platform to make the switch worth having vs. an Android tablet or iPad.

>rumor
I don't need to read your rest of the post. Here's my reply.

Hot air rises. Air moves without any fan at all. It that doesn't make it active cooling. Having a contained unit would make hot air accumulate without any way to escape. Vents are good without a fan.

>it's mentioned in the patents
Means nothing

Holy shit nigger. Kill yourself and your mom

>Vents are good without a fan.
You actually think this. I can let you know right now that vents do fuck all without forced air. It's much better to dissipate heat directly through the case than to rely on passive airflow through massive intake/outtake vents that have no fan.

Basically user, you're retarded.

ITT kids pretend to understand hardware

>Nintendo needs a good platform to make the switch worth having vs. an Android tablet or iPad.
This thing is not supposed to be competing with traditional tablets. Besides, have you seen the stagnation of tablet sales in the last two years?

You are buying a platform for Nintendo products, their software and ip's are what they are selling, as they always do. The question is, how far can you stretch the desire for those games?

You're going to feel like an idiot in 2 weeks but I guess that was inevitable because you bought a $300 fisher price tablet

Speaking of phones. Whats a good "cheap" phone to play ppsspp emulator and drastic? I have a LG3 for ages now and it really heats up a lot and cant runs anything with ppsspp and drastic struggles a bit

Fuck you I'm not buying any Nintendo shit. But that shit obviously has a fan. It needs to, Tegra X1 needs it.

Nigger i'll race your electronic videogame device of choice any day of the week

>It's much better to dissipate heat directly through the case than to rely on passive airflow through massive intake/outtake vents that have no fan.
Of course a fan moves MORE air, I never claimed otherwise.

You can have a turbo jet engine on your CPU fan for all it matters, and assuming you don't destroy your heatsink fins with turbulence, you'd have far superior cooling than you would with a stock fan

But that doesn't mean every PC needs to be cooled by a turbo jet engine.

The question here is, is it required? Most Nvidia chips are spec at 92 degrees C. Do you have any idea how hot that is?

And we're talking about a fucking 256 cuda core Tegra that runs AT MOST 1ghz (already confirmed underclocked). It's producing no where near that amount of heat.

Yes, fans move more air. But the Switch doesn't need it. It's a fucking tablet.

Aren't dev kits stronger than the final product to run programming tools as well as the game? If so, fucking lol.

Shut up Trump.

It has to have a fan. When you have sustained loads on tasks that are not simple (e.g. video watching is easy because you can just defer the video to a specialized part of the chip, rendering in 3D you can't) you will get severe thermal throttling without a fan. Especially in the docked mode, that would severely limit performance at reasonable resolutions.

you dont actually develop on dev kits user

The Switch is underclocked even in docked mode.

It's time to stop talking. Having vents exposing your heat pipes does not increase efficiency in any way. All it does is ensure that eventually you're going to experience dust build up. You said that they removed the fan but left the vent system in the design because "hot air rises". You are one dumb motherfucker and it's time to shut your mouth.

It is bridging the gap between home and portable consoles by choosing the worst thing of both. A huge portable with shit battery life and an underpowered home console with overpriced accessories, shit storage, and paid online.

I really like Zelda but Nintendo is making it very difficult to get it.

Because it's not drawing the same 20W power as the Shield TV does due to the USB C.

>Yeah you buy nintendo for nintendo games

Since Iwata took over yes. Before you had a shitload of other stuff on Nintendo consoles and Nintendo also had Rare.

>You said that they removed the fan but left the vent system in the design because "hot air rises".
Air moves unless your system is closed.
It's not as good as a fan, of course not, but it's better than a closed system.

The Switch doesn't have a fan. Anywhere. This will be proven in 2 weeks.

Never ever

Whatever the reason is, it's using less power and thus producing less heat

It doesn't need a fan

>possible leaked document

NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE. BUT I'M SURE THAT THIS TIME IT'S LEGIT