So I've been thinking, is it really worth it to put Denuvo on your game...

So I've been thinking, is it really worth it to put Denuvo on your game? You get so much ill will that almost any word of mouth marketing disappears except for paid shills.

The Witcher 3 for example sold a lot because, while a good game, it put itself out there as a drm-free game and that earned it a lot of good will from the community and free word of mouth marketing.

Also I trully believe that games that can be pirated will be purchased if the game is good, people like owning shit, even I did it with some games like Skyrim where I pirated but later bought it because I had so much fun with it.

And also, if the game is pirated, even the BRHUE in that third world country that doesn't have any fucking money but a pc which can barely play the game on ultra low will spread the good word if the game is good, which in turn makes people who can buy it be noticed about the game.

What you do with DRM is effectively lower the game community (even pirates are free marketing), increase bad will from people who don't support DRM or have been burned by DRM in the past and therefore diminish your potential revenue with the game.

Am I wrong? Is there research done on the effects of DRM on company revenue? If there isn't, why isn't it being done?

If Denuvo really increased sales, wouldn't it want to prove its effects with data?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
youtube.com/watch?v=5yC8FbgGnd0
youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/12/why-defend-freedom-of-icky-speech.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> Prior to release, Planet Coaster fans saying that Denuvo won't affect modding.

> Post release, turns out it does, and there's been no real mods for the game.

Kek. I told you fucks.

shills may want you to believe otherwise

Even though I'm against denuvo, why does everyone use Witcher 3 as an example all the time? Isn't there any other games that you can list?

denuvo is fucking cancer, only shills and anti-pirates extremists will say otherwise.

All of the modern Call of Dutys sell well on PC. Never had Denuvo. Little games with zero DRM sells beyond their expectations all the time (Stardew, Minecraft ten years ago, Superhot).

>You get so much ill will

Yeah from losers that were just going to steal your game anyway. Denuvo has basically no impact to performance

undertale

>Denuvo has basically no impact to performance
Let's assume this is true. Why are you paying for something that won't affect sales performance?

Cod sells well because it's a multiplayer game. Not many people download cod for its enticing story alone. Only reason to pirate cod is for offline zombies. Even then, the zombies dlc had drm that was hard to crack. Took months after each dlc released to crack them.
So in the end, it would make sense that people simply bought it instead.

>the select few indie games that make it out on top over the other dozens per year.

Literally any game without Denuvo that sold well.

Because Witcher 3 made CDP the biggest company in poland

Doesn't it burn your hard drive with constant rewriting?

Never, I repeat, never once in my life have I been bothered by an anti-pirating mechanism.
Denuvo, wtf, if not for Sup Forums, I would have no idea what it is. Like somebody really boot up a game and goes : OH FUCK NO, WHAT A PAIN, IT'S A DENUVO GAME, I DIDN'T KNOW.

For me, it looks like somebody is craving for something to bitch about.

so you're 10 years old?

>I haven't seen it so its not real lalalalalala

Denuvo is like gun control. It's not effective unless a majority of states enforce it. That's why a lot of devs are implementing it. The more games that have it, the more effective it will be.

This. Whatever you think of it the game sold well through word of mouth and a reasonable asking price.
No DRM, no trillion dollar ad budget, no focus testing.
The game still did exceptionally.

AAA can get fucked.

This.

Now imagine if this had denuvo, do you think so many people would have shitposted this shit on Sup Forums month after month after release? I don't think so.

In fact, I think they should have used Denuvo so the game wouldn't get shitposted so much...

No, it only does that to SSDs.

here's the thing, DENUVO doesnt increase nowhere near the advertised 40%, I doubt it does at all now.
A good portion of custumers doesnt buy denuvo games on principle, and they prob even out the ones on the edge of buying.
publishers just look at the downloads on public torrents and get angry at seeing all that money slipping out of their pockets.
Doesnt matter a good part just played their shit for half an hour or pirated to have a copy they can actually own.
By now, after looking at estimated sales and actual sales they realized denuvo barely helped at all.

Still, they'll use denuvo because they dont want you to play their shit for free, fullstop.

Ok, so what's the problem with it ?

One time I went to play a game on my grandma's house with my notebook and she doesn't have internet.

Denuvo blocked me.

Ever since that day I never bought any Denuvo other Denuvo game.

>advertised 40%
Advertised where?

If you don't know by now, you either haven't been gaming on pc for long or it won't matter to you. So just find another thread to enjoy.

I pirated Berseria and am lending my CFW PS3 to all my friends I made buy Zestiria.

I feel like shit but this is what they get for fucking me like that, I bought their other games so they would continue to port it to PC, but not like this ffs.

I'll do everything I can to stop my friends from buying denuvo games.

Looks like a pretty reasonable reaction, really.
One day, there was no electricity at my house, so I never bought an electricity-powered video game again.

fuck off

How is it on ps3?

I don't have the same opinion as you do, so I should just find another thread.
Pretty awesome, bro.

well, there are plenty of nonDRM games, DRM fucked you once, whats to say it won't fuck you twice?

All you have to do is buy a game without DRM.

Now how many non-eletricity-powered VIDEOGAMES can you buy user?

People should waste time arguing with you over what has been known for 2 years.
>100% chance of deflected facts
Pretty awesome, bro.

Oh so it's Denuvo's fault your grandma is living in the past?
You gamers are so entitled.

Its fine, don't worry lol.

PS3 is able to play Vesperia which is even better than Berseria. It may be a little downgraded from the PS4 version but I wouldn't know.

You don't deserve an opinion about a topic if you don't know anything about it
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

>Denuvo is like gun control, it fucks over the average person in order to stop a few assholes
Really makes you think...

>I don't have the same opinion as you do

>100% chance of deflected facts

What the hell, are you trying to analyze what I'm trying to say with percentage, are you out of your mind ?

pardon the spic language
it says it cant be launched offline the first time (though i had played a few hours at least).
Denuvo offline mode is really wonky.

No problem with developers using denuvo, but they should indicate what is does, its limitations etc.

You'll find
>uses additional drm: DENUVO
at best in the store page, many games hide it, retail boxes dont report this as well

>italian
>spic
Fagotto.

It doesn't matter. You have two issues.

1. Many companies using it are publicly owned. That means it doesn't have to actually work. It just has to make your shareholders happy thinking it works because you're "protecting your assets."

2. Dumb liberal assholes acting on their feelings. They don't like that other people pirate it and use Denuvo to feel better about it.

I guarantee that not one person or company did it thinking it was a sound financial decision with MAYBE one or two exceptions.

publishers want you to because they're just a bunch of suits who don't understand the industry, and it works better since it obscures/hides your product and makes people gamble on it being good or not, and gambling is a huge moneymaker

Yeah, not everyone lives in amurica where you have wifi everywhere.

Being blocked from playing a game you fucking bought because of DRM is ridiculous.

Well, first it didn't fuck you. You didn't meet the requirements for the game to be played, it happens, that's not a reason to go full extremist against it. You buy 30 dollars a game, and you're gonna have plenty of opportunities to spend time on it.

Yeah but video games are a cultural product, you don't buy them by default, you buy them by envy.

It's not like : "Well, this towel is too expensive, better buy the other one."

If you want a game to tell you a story, you should buy it and live the story the game has to tell, and if it's good, recommend it to others, if it's not, don't.
And then good games will appear more and more if you're convincing.

I can sympathize. I travel around sometimes for work. I couldn't play hitman because of the denuvo online crap. It hurt...

There's a curator group that highlights Denuvo games for you. Just add it to your list. Makes for easy spotting.

we had a good leak a few weeks ago
the powerpoint they use to advertise it to devs estimates a 40% loss

I think they removed it, but google denuvo 40% and it's still cached

isnt it all the same for you burgers? ricchione

stopped buying games on PC altogether this year, there's no risk for that anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=5yC8FbgGnd0

>You gamers are so entitled
this, the xbone failed because of entitled custumers.

>burgers
Non credo proprio, frocetto.

Oh wow, I have two games here:

>one requires me to be online
>the other doesn't
>the online isn't really part of the game, its just to see if I'm a thief

WHICH SHOULD I SPEND MY HARD EARNED MONEY HMM? THE GAME THAT TREATS ME WITH RESPECT OR THE OTHER THAT TREATS ME LIKE SHIT?

Like holy fuck haha, "requirements" to play a fucking offline game? Are you fucking retarded user? You better be joking.

Sniper elite 4 has denuvo, I wonder how that game will do.

bad

>wanting to appeal to thieves

didnt one of those denuvo crackers stopped cracking for like a year to see if there would be any impact on sales, and in the end there was literally none, and they just came back to crack denuvo games?

3DM?
they simply cant crack denuvo and they never came back

No. I believe it was that some groups were going to stop cracking games for a whole year to see if it had any impact on sales. Actually, it could have been the people speculating the reason why.
I don't even know what groups it was either.

People are actually defending DRM in this thread. I assume all you fags use windows 10 too, since you have no concerns of freedom or privacy.

Check any drm free games or have drm that just act as copy protection, sold well. Also the game contents itself play the role too.

?
Sup Forums has been defending drm, dlcs. season passes, microtransactions etc. for a while now

Honestly, I think people who use DRM use it because they're angry at the thought of someone stealing their game, not any rationality about how it will impact sales and their games perception.

A lot of shills are paid to go here shill some shit.

italians > chinese

Piracy increases risk for big publishers. If a game is good the free word of mouth generates substantial sales increases, but if the game is bad piracy tanks sales since negative word of mouth chills momentum and curious players don't have to spend money to discover the game is bad.

Marketing is predictable. You can focus group and target demographics. Development is unpredictable because it's an art more than a science, and often publisher meddling, focus grouping, and demo focusing creates a bad product.

Basically, publishers have no fucking idea how to make a good game so even invasive DRM is preferable since marketing can often trick early adopters into buying/preordering before they know the product is bad. And if the product is good, you'll buy it in spite of the DRM.

>Rather than make a good game let's punish our paying customers.

>Prior to release, Planet Coaster fans saying that Denuvo won't affect modding.
>Post release, turns out it does, and there's been no real mods for the game.
Does anybody still talk about this turd?

They just dont know how to crack denuvo.

If anyone here is wondering why DRM is a bad thing, I want you to all go look up sim city.

>30+ years of gaming
>people still don't realise that piracy =/= a lost sale

Dumb, misleading images like yours don't help

Tales of Zestiria a game considered to be kinda meg by fans sold over 200000 copies on PC and it was prated day one on PC.

Berseria considered to be a realy good game by the fans uses denuvo and is struggling to break the 100000 mark still stuck at 60000 copies.
Although to be fair even at 60000 copies sold at 50$ Namco already made 2.5 milion$ from the game o PC. Which is somewhat close to how much selling physical 100000 copies on consoles does and it costs around 100000$ to port games iv bean told so we will be getting more games in the future.

Corporate culture is often shortsighted.

I'd probably do it for an early access type game where I want to control who uses. Basically, diminish/eliminate reports of technical issues from people using out-of-date or pirated copies. I wouldn't use for a game that's gone gold for the reasons that don't need to be repeated.

we need first 4 months sale data to make a believable comparison, not lifetime

EA would be better served by an in client bug report system that stamps the bug with client version and hardware specs.

>it costs around 100000$ to port games

thats the cost of denuvo for games selling over 500K

>stopped buying games on PC altogether this year, there's no risk for that anymore
Same here, I dropped the entire platform for physical games.

True. I very much dislike DRM, but distorting facts doesn't help the argument against it.

I'm gonna love it when in 10-15 years denuvo games will be unplayable on modern hardware and you can't make a patch that fixes it because it fucks with exe.

That's assuming every version of it wont get cracked anyway.

>PC gamers dont like sony
>they support denuvo which is part of sony (even has activation servers on sony domain)

btw, EA was and is another big supporter for developing denuvo

>curious players don't have to spend money to discover the game is bad.
In the words of Andrew Ryan:

"Just make a better product, you shithead."

>I'm gonna love it when in 10-15 years denuvo games will be unplayable
More like 3-5 years. It took Starforce games this long to stop working.
Some Windows 10 update is going to kill it.

primal did shit, that much is known (that is after far cry 4 devs complained it had 90% piracy rate)
for the others point still stands

Inside devs must be crying Inside because of their shitty decision to use Denuvo.

I'm sure big publishers don't use it for that reason, though, nor would they need to. I'd be surprised if buggy AAA titles has anything to do with lack of tools and ability on the devs end. Deadlines first.

but everybody except for a few falseflagging shitposters shits on the botw season pass

You've got to keep in mind that publishers only exist to make money. That's it. If they can decrease risk, all the better. It's one of the reasons smaller dev companies releasing smaller games directly to consumers have been responsible for much of the forward momentum and evolution of the art.

I don't get why devs bother with PC DRM.
Just scrap the PC version and release it console only.

Piracy is good for the industry.
youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
Try to refute this

>PC gamers
>support denuvo

Doesn't matter if it's good for the industry as a whole, DRM is good for the short-term profitability of a single publisher, which is in turn good for the VP in charge of that division.

Why is this man so based?
journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/12/why-defend-freedom-of-icky-speech.html

>Inside devs must be crying Inside because of their shitty decision to use Denuvo.

>INSIDE pops up
>liked LIMBO, decide to pirate it to see if I like this too
>it has Denuvo
>okay...
>go to YouTube
>watch entire playthrough until the end
>no more point in playing it
My Steam library is full of little gems, which I pirated first and paid after playing them. But there is no more point in playing INSIDE after you seen the end.

Question:

Why don't they just give a trial mode for all games instead? In other words, allow anyone to download ANY game for free from Steam, and allow people to play the game for 2-3 hours. After that time period, the game locks and tells you you can continue from where you left off if you buy it.

Post a better image you faggot. I cant read that shit.

Risk of someone craking it even easier

Why?

>DRM is good for the short-term profitability

Not more than word of mouth/free advertising because the denuvo sequels numbers look like shit

But even that's not true, denuvo games are selling like shit

Here's the thing if you can wrap your mind around it: the majority of the gaming market doesn't give a shit if ~ 10 percent that pirate games cant

>Why don't they just give a trial mode for all games instead? In other words, allow anyone to download ANY game for free from Steam, and allow people to play the game for 2-3 hours. After that time period, the game locks and tells you you can continue from where you left off if you buy it.
People would play every games for 2-3 hours and never buy one.
PC shareware games era was essentially this.