Game dev

Something something how's them video games going something something you'll never finish a video game.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850088967
monolithdevs.itch.io/monolith
goseb90.tumblr.com/post/155814774188/futacubi-quest-is-project-that-i-started-to-work
melonodev.itch.io/comfort-of-your-own-home
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But I have finished games before, fuck you OP

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850088967

It's your patriotic duty to vote for edgy meme games. So please do thank you and god bless

I just started learning how to use unity, now I'm worried my project is too ambitious.

It doesn't help that I don't know shit about coding.

>monolithdevs.itch.io/monolith
progress going p. rapidly now that all floor 4 bosses are done. 3 out of 5 new shop types done, 3 new pickups, etc. then working on pic related, floor 5.

Still waiting to be able to draw again, until then I'm fiddling with what I already did in the gameplay to improve (and not break) it.

Have you ever finished a game before?

>haven't worked on game in months
>consiously want to work on it
>subconsiously don't want to do jack shit

Doing concept art at the moment. As for coding, pic related.

will you pay Gaben $5000 to steam your game?

Working on my game design documents. I estimate it will take between 1-3 years to finish my game.

It's a fucking incredible rush to have that creative spark again.

>the American politics meme
>the 8-bit meme
Nah fuck off

WHO IS IN

So far I've opened up GameMaker 2.
I think I updated it a couple of times too.
Can't actually start a project, pic related.

The game doesn't look bad, honestly.
Maybe you shouldn't cater to the meme leddit crowd - at least don't bother posting it here, you son of a fuck.

can I make a game about Gary Johnson finding out whats Aleppo?

I mean, I can't, so no.

>>Maybe you shouldn't cater to the meme leddit crowd
Wha

>enter ResistJam
>make a game about resisting authoritarian lefty hollywood anti-Trump dogma
DEVILISH

>every day of minor progress feels insignificant to how much work is still left

Can you explain what that is/what yours looks like? I don't have an example so I don't know what I should be doing so I've just been scribbling ideas on a notebook

Just registered company this morning.
Also bought FL studio after learning it for a while so I can make some music for a game too.
Tomorrow appointment for sidejob so I can finance this shit, then back to concept art and tilesets.

This is a huge fucking gamble but I wanted this since I was a kid.

Hello, excuse as i am not very good at english.
What is a great way of get people to play my free game?
I created some game that get few downloads in my country, but I'm interested in getting western audience

>self proclaimed edgy meme game
>something simulator year
>leddit
What's not to understand?

Reddit would probably hate it though, they sucked up huge to Clinton

Itch or Gamejolt I guess.

Shill on Sup Forums, plebbit, twitter and so on
try to get semi big jewtubers to play it

I have the entire script written out. Before I start the coding I'm attempting to learn how to compose music and do pixel art. Im not hiring people

Fine. Tumblr then, where ever those scum of the earth shit tier meme spouters live.

I left my gun witch game aside for a while because I got worn out so I'm using my deadtime to work on one of my other projects which is a sci-fantasy ttrpg

So, my videogame is on halt, but my other game is coming along pretty good

Buddy if Plebbit liked Clinton, Tumblr probably has framed pics of Lenin.

I thinked hosting games at my own homepage looks more professional. Am I wrong?

Is it better to do this during creation, or after game is done? I question because my games always have mistery and discovery theme.

Last thing I did were these shoddily implemented, fps-consuming funky wisps from like a week ago

I may have to pass /agdg/'s demo day 13 because I'm on tech demo level again I guess whoops

You'll usually want to create interest in your game before releasing it, but you really don't have to if its free.

lmao

Well he made his point clear enough to me. Dunno where else I could advertise the game though because it's gotten pretty some pretty big butts hurt on Greenlight and other places. At least here no one will complain about "muh feels".

>I thinked hosting games at my own homepage looks more professional. Am I wrong?
Probably not if it's free.

>Is it better to do this during creation, or after game is done? I question because my games always have mistery and discovery theme.
You don't have to spoil it, just post pictures or whatever.

Looks cute.

I see, thanks user!

Change the name, drop the meme pandering. I'd vote for it then. Like I said, the actual game doesn't look bad from the video - but didn't see any writing so... guess that could break it for me.

Makin' a key room.

>western
Where are you from, user?

I gave up on my Futacubi game project, I still make a few sprites from time to time, but I completely gave up on wanting to learn how to make games in GameMaker

besides it was a shitty game idea project
goseb90.tumblr.com/post/155814774188/futacubi-quest-is-project-that-i-started-to-work
I wont even bother continue to draw, I give up on everything

I'm currently and methodically adding this special death animation to each monster. There's only two monster types that one have this and that's the "boss" monsters (Cyberdemon and mastermind replacement)

I'm bruneian, but I currently reside in japan.

I see you have added a burst animation. Or I have missed a webm
Anyway looking great as always

it was a decent idea user. if you want to give up that's fine but I sincerely hope Game Maker wasn't the reason you quit. GM, Construct Classic, and MMF2 are the easiest 2D engines to learn.

You almost never hear about MMF2. Any reason for it?

As someone who likes to play around in Construct 2 and kinda hate using GM, it would be neat to try something new.

that's neat, user. what was it like moving to japan?

>Bruneian
I was under the impression that the japs don't let muslims into their country

friendly advice:
limit your scope
it will take double the time you plan

People really don't have their religious beliefs written on their passports, user. You should get out more.

Brunei's a muslim country

You should stop basing your information on clickbait articles posted on Sup Forums.

>mmf2
I haven't actually checked on the engine in ages. Construct was made by former mmf2 developers ;so if you know how to use construct you know how to use mmf2. The only reason I can think of as to why it's not used often is because of lacking multiplatform and console support. Japs love it though for their h-games.

I think you missed a webm. Progress is steady at least, I'm also retooling some monsters to make them less... Dumb.

I went full retard with ideas on some of the monsters, not stopping to think about the original roles each played or how badly some of my ideas clashed with most maps. As you can see in that webm though I'm redoing my chaingunner replacment to be a sniper at long range and a machinegunner at close range.

Originally he did that machinegun attack at long range and shot grenades at close range, and I made him slide around a lot, and all of that was more annoying than anything else, and not in a productive way

I'm not a muslim, my family owns business in brunei. i just borned there.

it's a nice place to live, but the people are distanced

it's nice you are being considerate of monster roles. Doom enemies have always been well thought out

Honestly when I first started GMOTA I tried too hard to go against the grain of Doom's flow, both in terms of weapon and monster progression, and that probably explains why I've never been truly happy with its development until I started unfucking everything with this big update I'm working on.

That being said I still want to give a few monsters some unique quirks and abilities, I'm considering giving the mancubus replacement a special alternate attack where he shoots a cannonball that destroys friendly projectiles as it flies through the air.

I'm also considering giving the archvile tier monster the ability to self ressurect unless gibbed, though that may not be as bad as you might think seeing as I'm giving certain attacks guaranteed gib

>Any reason for it?
antiquated by gamemaker and construct, its just not worth using at all when those two options exist

There needs to be some impact/response when those attacks hit you, it looks unresponsive atm

Did you guys make various smaller project before attempting to try and make the game you wanted to make or just go for it right away?

>you'll never finish a video game.
Oy Vey I finished a pong game in Visual studios 3weeks ago.
It's utter shit and I have a very basic understanding of C#. Still I finished it

>construct
that thing is nowhere near a replacement for mmf2

I see. Thanks.

I do like playing around in C2, but I don't know, making menus feel a bit unintiuative and annoying, and I make a lot of menu based games.

Really. What makes you say that?

I did a few simple projects/tutorials like arkanoid or minesweeper.
Then tried doing an xcom clone.
Then tried doing a WC2 clone.
Now i'm making something similar to TIS-100.

you should always do smaller projects. making small games helps you in many ways as a developer

wait, was he getting hit

Having alternate attacks is a nice thing to balance the subweapons. Demonsteele has some weird replacements too, but they work with the more melee and fast-oriented gameplay. For this kind of things the best way is to experiment to see if they work at the end of the day, anyway
absolutely devilish

i havent personally used construct, i just assumed it was better seeing it's being talked about and was made by a pissed off MMF developer
Personally after using MMF for 10 years, the point-and-click event system is just awful for any games outside of basic action games and you should probably just go with gamemaker

I'm also considering giving the archvile replacement a hookshot to yank players in. One of these enemies is getting a hookshot.

Yes, he was receiving damage from those attacks, only indication of this was the health bar

I did some stuff since the last time I posted
changed the HUD color according to feedback, added a white flash when you hit an enemy, and added a flower object that spawns randomly and is slightly interactable
I plan on expanding on that last one by adding a grass sprite that spawns more commonly so there's more stuff on top of the tiles

the white flash looked a little odd to me when tweaking it, but let me know what you guys think
also let me know if this color for the HUD is better or worse, or if any other color would be better

Went for it right away, then realized I'd never finish my dream game and be satisfied with it due to my skillset at the time (or lack thereof). That's when I decided to scale it back and work on a few smaller projects. Game jams, simple 2D shmups, stuff like that.

Now I've come full circle and I'm back to working on my dream game. You've gotta make those smaller projects first, literally nobody has shat out their dream game first time around.

I alternated between the two. I would make attempts at my dream game, but until I was good enough I would fall back on other, easier to make side projects until I was good enough for the real thing

monolith and anubis are gonna be great

I'm not sure if webm related is useful, but I made it.

go play iconoclasts by konjak. it was made in construct classic. His other game, noitu love, was made in MMF2

construct can't handle large scope games like mmf2 can and is more prone to bugs. that's a big no signal to a developer

Oh. Fair enough.

So the way I understand it, MMF2 is more stable, but Construct 2 is more user friendly.

>construct 2
construct classic, mmf2, and game maker are directx compatible game engines. construct 2 is an html5 game engine with some sort of weird as fuck desktop game exporter.

I changed something pretty important for my comfy jam game, namely that the ending-the-game button is visible from the getgo. Some other minor fixes were also made.

So if you happened to play it but didn't get the ending last time I posted it, do replay it. On the page you can see a way to circumvent the salary and immediately go to the end if you don't wish to wait (as someone who already played the game).
melonodev.itch.io/comfort-of-your-own-home

Should I start over my game completely but make it in Flash? What I mean is that instead of making sprites, I make them like pic related
I'm

I've been adding alternate enemies like crazy. For instance I have a normal bot that shoots one shot. Then I played Nier and decided my game needs a little more bullet hell in it, so I came up with this little guy.

Why would you need flash for that?

drawing the character in Flash

Idiot, pirate all the shit you want and then build the fucking concept
Don't buy everything without any experience

Ah. I tohught you meant switching to the engine.

If you manage to do them well then I say go for it.
A lot of people overlook pixelated games because they look so generic.

Flash isn't going to make anything easier. It depends on what you intend to achieve that you think flash will help with that has an advantage over sprite work. if you just mean the artwork, any vector program will do

If you think you have the guts to do it, you can start with a big project but you might find yourself overwhelmed pretty quickly.

From my experience it's better to start with small projects, you can learn new stuff at your own pace, and in general is a good indicator if you can finish a game or not.

Now sell it on mobile stores for $5 and put a shitload of microtransaction (Blue bar - 800 gems, Red bar - 1900 gems, 50 gems - $2)

The red creature with a spike look like an orange squeezer.

>mfw learning modern OpenGL
This is so low-level there is no way I am going to build a game from the ground-up like this in my lifetime. I feel like I just wasted a week building a rotating textured cube, I have nowhere to go from here, I have no idea how to turn this into a game.

Try Spine, it's the next step up from Flash in terms of creating puppet assets.

Is Spine free? I was paying for a year the student version of Adobe CC cloud series but in December, I didn't renew my membership and I'm no longer a student. I'm waiting to receive for my college diploma in Desktop Publishing.

yeah he makes simple action games, which is literally the only thing MMF is good at, try make anything like an RPG or a strategy game, or even something with alot of levels and you're going to be struggling

Looks way better user

>modern opengl
might as well learn assembly languages

Is it just me or do the characters movements look off? Like they're too jerky or something

that's how it feels to start with. its a huge pain in the ass just to get basic rendering going, but once you have that renderer done it's done and you don't really have to touch it again

On the plus side I understand how the programmable graphics pipeline works now, but I'll never need this information in my life unless I want to actually go all the way and build an entire game engine from scratch, which seems like it would take months at least.

I completely understand why teams are necessary for professional game development, this shit is so slow to do on your own.

The problem is I have no idea how to scale what little I have created into a fully-fledged game, I mean even following all the modern OpenGL tutorials to their ends only roughly brings you to individual model loading and lightmaps, after that you need to learn scene graphing, then build an entire game engine around that, THEN develop your game within the engine, it is a lot of work when I could just use Ogre3D and skip all the bullshit.

why are you programming in raw opengl if you dont want to build a game engine from scratch?

Zoomed in like that, I can see what you mean. It was also suggested to me that if I add some bullet hell moments that I should add a slow down button to the kb/m controls similar to 2hu. With the controller, you can already control your velocity/speed.