Does Sup Forums read vidya novels?

Does Sup Forums read vidya novels?
If so what are some of your favorites?
I actually really enjoyed pic related. I also liked Arcturus as a character and liked them fleshing him out more.

lol no

>lol
Really? Shouldn't you be over at Reddit.

I read Starcraft Queen of blades and one of the first Halo novels, and both of them were so bad I decided video game novels were a mistake and never touched any again.

When I was really into Mass Effect after finishing the first two games, I bought a Mass Effect book.
I think it was about Saren and his story before the games.
I couldn't get myself to read more than a few pages because I found it very boring and uninspired though.

I read the Illidan novel for shits and giggles and it was about as bad as I expected it to be.
I'm sure the authors try their very best but vidya and book storytelling are so different it will just feel hamfisted no matter what.

>I couldn't get myself to read more than a few pages because I found it very boring and uninspired though.
I wish I could do the same, but apparently I have some special kind of autism because I have to finish every book I read even if I hate it.

I own both of those books, I didn't find them bad. Now the second SC book, Shadow of the Xel'naga, that's bad.
The first three books are all about Anderson and Kahlee Saunders, they aren't bad. The fourth book is a fucking travesty though.

Maybe you can reason with yourself that being well written is literally the only thing that makes a book worth reading because books really have nothing else going for them.

the warcraft novels are what introduced me to reading

>I didn't find them bad.
Depends on what your standard of comparison is, I guess. Maybe they're not bad when compared to other video game novels, but I haven't read enough to make that comparison. As sci-fi novels, they were awful.

>Blizzshit

fuck no

That's just fucking sad.

Books in arabic are very rigid , its either poetry, history, or theology, so reading fantasy in english was pretty refreshing

Well, I just like them because they are really brain-dead easy reads to be honest. You can get through them in a few hours and can really just sort of tune out. When you accept they're written for teenagers and don't expect depth and just some light reading and adventure, it works out. The worst is when they don't realize what it is and they try to add some high-concept depth shit in the novel and it just sounds ridiculous.

Oh, I guess that makes sense.
Assalamu alaikum

ayyyyy I read almost all the starcraft books there were. Did you read the one about that resoc marine on mar sara?

No!
I want my video game lore in the fucking video games and not as a shameless cash grab in other medias.
Fuck you Blizzard. I dare you to go the same way with Overwatchdogs, I double dare you!!!

wa alaikom asalam

wa alaikum assalam

try heavens devils. It really hits the spot about corruption in the starcraft world.
I've read all the halo books I could too.
I'm a sucker for sci-fi books especially the ones related to the games

Wasn't that a comic and part of the visual novel?
It shouldn't be there to replace in-game lore, rather supplement and support it.

the forerunner trilogy about halo were deep as shit. Greg Bear isn't bad at that stuff.

I have read Heaven's Devils. I've read all the SC2 books except Evolution which I'm waiting for in the mail. I have to finish Speed of Darkness and then I have the Dark Archon trilogy to make it through.
I think I have a couple Halo books, I read the first one about Reach and how the Spartan Program started and thought it was really good.

no its StarCraft:_Speed_of_Darkness

Good vidya novels are few and far between.

>Halo: The Fall of Reach
Shockingly good. Space battle parts are kind of boring and you feel a little overwhelmed with cliche military jargon at times. Otherwise it's great.

>Halo: The Flood
So bad it's good tier. Just a direct-to-novel version of the Halo 1 game. Combat scenes could be written better by a 4th-grader. Only redeeming qualities are a glimpse of events from the Covenant's point of view, and the story of Private Jenkins, a Marine who got infested by a weak Flood and is still alive and aware of what's going on. Actually pretty terrifying and very interesting.

>Halo: First Strike
Back to Fall of Reach levels of quality.

>Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
More quality. Worth a read for sure.

I'm currently reading Myst: Book of Atrus and really liking it.

Oh, then no. I need to read that one. Left it half way across the country when I moved, need to get it mailed to me.

Roadside Picnic is the only good video game novel, and only because a video game was made based on it, rather than vice versa.

The Halo books are constructed at a roughly fourth grade reading level, and at some parts are almost a page-for-page plagiarism of 'Ender's Game', which in itself is not that great of a book.

if you still feel like reading some halo books try the forerunner saga. It's kinda philosophical and you don't need much background knowledge.

contact harvest also shows the covenants point of view and it was pretty good. Especially the love story between the AIs

WoW books were awesome: Especially Rise of the lich king. If they made movie about that book instead of muh orcs and human friendship, they could easily make millions AND get great reviews

read both Deus Ex books. they were ok

nice
added to my reading list

Dont wanna spoil too much but it also describes how arthas lost his virginity. Great book

fuck you I thought he died a virgin

This was actually a surprisingly good book.

Dude come on he was dating jaina since he was 14

This I mean

The only enjoyable video game novel I have ever read

yeah. The thing that really makes this book good is he dies a virgin

sorry I din know. I only played wc3

The pulpiest shit, but still mildly entertaining.