Is it better than Dark Souls and Bloodborne? Is it more fun?

Is it better than Dark Souls and Bloodborne? Is it more fun?

It's a whole different beast that a very vocal minority seems to think is in the running with Souls games.

no

Great combat mechanics
Stances change the feel of your weapons
Highly addictive loot system
Punishes you hard just like the souls series

Axe master Race

What's the world and lore like? The biggest appeal of the Souls series to me was the sense of discovery.

Its Japanese history with patronuses

It's faster and mechanically better with a less interesting world and story partially based on real Japanese history circa 1600.

My only complaints are the loot system is a little unrefined and some levels have questionable design and music choices. Core gameplay and everything else is excellent. I really hope a sequel is made.

>go watch streams on twitch
>everyone and their mother are using kusarigama
10/10 game souls killer

Does it have a storyline? Or is it just 150% gameplay with just lore that tells the story like Souls?

It has a storyline. There are main missions that progress the story. There are usually cutscenes after every main mission (not very long ones). There is also a cutscene for every guardian spirit you find (there are 22) as they are important to the story/world.

Every time I hop on to help someone, they're using it.

I hope they fucking nerf it to the ground.

is it that good? I've never even used it.

Awesome

It's a good take on the souls games.

They took the stamina management from the souls games and significantly expanded upon it. Mastering the Ki system is very satisfying, and feels like a more natural incentive to be aggressive as opposed to Bloodborne's life leach.

Equipment system is interesting, seems like it will allow you to keep stuff youike into higher levels.

It's a great game too, it's not like they're competing.

>better than Dark Souls and Bloodborne

No but it's not worse

You guys seem to be fans of both and not shit posting so let me ask you this.

Would the souls series be better if it went
Demons souls, Dark souls,Bloodborne,Nioh

I honestly loved the games and I think going the direction of "direct" sequels instead of spiritual successors ruined the series.

Yep. Dark Souls 2 and 3 feel like low effort rehashes, even though they had their good moments. I still have some hope for 3's last DLC though.

nioh = bloodborne>dark souls

I'd say yea but Nioh lacks some roleplaying elements that Dark souls offers. So I would say this only applies to combat.

I think with 2 and 3, not enough changed with the game play. They had a great system in DeS, expanded on it in DaS, and the like said, it got a little stagnant. Personally, I like to see innovation in games, that's why I like BB and Nioh more than 2/3.

That said, there's a lot that can be done with the souls formula, I hope other devs see this and expand on it further.

>lacks some roleplaying elements
like?

>inb4 character creation
who uses that shit?

I use character creation and I like roleplaying as a class. Sometimes is cool to go through as a thief and only a knife. Or play as Depraved retard and never put on clothes. I would create back stories for them that I would keep in the back of my head. I think that was the point of having character creation in the souls series.

Sorry for the large amount of typos I'm very tired.

It's like 1 handed swords of DS3, or even more.

this
it's not bloodborne strongest part, but it's cool and adds something to the game

What does it matter? The three are good games

Think dark souls but you can switch your stances (light mid and heavy) and a diablo style loot system

>roleplaying as a class
you can do that in nioh just dress up as a magician, ninja, knight or whatever and level your build that way, but my point was actually

>creating a character in a game where 99% of your body is covered
I mean for what? and btw

>story is about a man from the uk who went to japan to save his spiritfu
>''why can't I play as 13yo african girl(male)?
or something like that

>Axe master Race
Axe shitters please go.

plus all those techniques you can learn for every weapon and stance

It's super fun, but the only thing I don't really care for is that it's mission based rather than being a world you can run around in. Sailing to new areas is alright, but I would have preferred being able to explore those areas by myself and encounter bosses on my own rather than having mission-based linear levels.
I've also noticed re-use of the same areas for sub-missions, but I've only beaten Nobunaga's wife up to this point so I don't know how frequently that occurs.

In Nioh it is undeniably less flexible. Please don't get defensive about this. I love Nioh but no matter what even if you put on a transform skin you are basically still William.

but the combat is way better and thats more important in my opinion
the only negative thing about the game, in my opinion, is the enemy variety

it's honestly a 9,5/10 game for me

The way loot/weapons work is massively annoying compared to Souls, and the ki gimmick is inferior to BB's rally tbqh. Don't like the missions with a 2D world map vs. everything being in a world.

But Nioh is still a good game.

For me as well but I would not place it flatly above dark souls for that reason. I am still enjoying Playing as the various warriors from the sengoku period which might be better in some respects.

It's selling less than Bloodborne, which was the worst selling Soulsborne game. It's trash.

its fun but its not on the same level as BB and DaS. but really no reason for you to not buy it if u like souls games.

story-wise Nioh is trash, so dont get hyped for that.

>implying dark souls """"story"""" is any better

This meme needs to die... you guys say in hindsight how incredible the "lore" is after watching hours of vaati vidya on youtube speculating about pointless shit.

NiOh's story is goofy anime bullshit, and uses the same cast of exagerrated characters that you see in any japanese game/movie/anime about the sengoku period. You guys are tards for assuming that the story will have anything in common with dark souls just because theres a dodge button and stamina.

>all these yokai
>no headless man with an eye on his ass
Missed oportunity, although having the silly umbrella ghost is almost just as nice.

I'm playing through Nioh, and while it's fun, it lacks the one thing that kept me coming back to the Souls series, which is PvP builds. It was great speedrunning through the game to make new builds to test out in PvP. While Nioh will have the multiplayer fighting added in later on, I don't think there is enough variety between weapons to justify an entirely new build.

> you guys say in hindsight how incredible the "lore" is after watching hours of vaati vidya on youtube speculating about pointless shit.

implying im a average souls fan.

You guys are tards for assuming that the story will have anything in common with dark souls just because theres a dodge button and stamina.

once again implying im a average souls fan.

>implying dark souls """"story"""" is any better

yes, i absolutely imply this though. if you honestly like Nioh story over daS lore then you should kill yourself. its as simple as that. Anti-soul community people are a worse form of cancer than the soul community itself.

Ds2 has a great story. DS1 and 3 - not so much.

I just started playing NiOh last night after a six month long Souls/Borne binge. The Ki Pulse is confusing me because it seems to not cause my ki/stamina to recover any more quickly than not activating it. I know it dissipates the Yokai realm, but the ki recovery thing seems to be not doing anything. Perhaps I am missing something?

I love the souls games, theyre some of my favorite games ever. But this notion on Sup Forums of the "amazing lore" is so goofy.

>if you watch this 23 minute video on youtube youll realize that the reason the helm of ooga booga is located in the 4th chest in the coocoo keep is because eons ago the dark mage crungy bungy was sent there...

I would wholeheartedly agree that the tone and atmosphere are great... but story?

not him but what story are you talking about? there is close to no story at all

Play the game. DS2 has a self-contained and complete story that can be viewed independently of all other DS games.

wait for the ki circle around you and don't just randomly spam r1
it's all about timing

Watch the stamina bar when you do it, time the pulse when your missing chunk of stamina fills up all the way and you will instantly regain it. It tells you exactly how it works in the tutorial you text ignoring mega-faggot.

>Play the game
already finished dark souls 2 sotfs but havent finished the dlc yet

Hmmm...

I dunno.

Better than Dark Souls 2 and 3 for sure yes.

Better than Demon's, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne? Maybe.

I respect that it's different, but you only fight like 4 enemy types throughout the game (Skeleton, Giant Skeleton with Axe, standard Yokai, and Tongue Monks) the other few types of Yokai are rarely seen.

That alone makes it really disappointin,

>only fight like 4 enemy types throughout the game
it's about 30 different enemies + about 25 bosses

>tfw

a good story is completely subjective. the cool thing about souls-games is to actually realise how much depth it really has ( Bloodborne more than any of them desu).

> the reason the helm of ooga booga is located in the 4th chest in the coocoo keep is because eons ago the dark mage crungy bungy was sent there...

you can say that about anything. In Nioh some blondhair dude goes to an island to find evil dude who likes alchemy. but wait, the island is full of spooky scary umo-bozu boogu yokaiiiiii ghosts.

I prefer dark souls lore because it has more depth. The message in Nioh is so basic and cringe that i cant take it seriously. They force a kindness in to every character like it is some objective rule you cant bend (but wait, lets not give the two evil characters a in depth purpose except for power- that would be too much work). follow that up with meaningless characters with their own stories that are summarized by a 30 seconds cutscene, and u have the story of Nioh.

>cringe
Stopped reading, tbqh.
Anyone who uses the word cringe as an adjective to describe anything literally has nothing meaningful to say, ever.

>you can say that about anything. In Nioh some blondhair dude goes to an island to find evil dude who likes alchemy. but wait, the island is full of spooky scary umo-bozu boogu yokaiiiiii ghosts.
So you're saying the fishing hamlet by the sea had blasphemous murderers, blood-crazed fiends?

New player here... I just died 10 times in the first 30 minutes, i'm trying to look up difficulty in the options menu and to lower it down to easy, however i can't find it. Any advice?

I dont think anyone is praising NiOh's story, including myself. I was just making the point that dark souls has very little in the way of story and people like you who extoll it as some type of masterpiece in story-telling are the only "cringe" thing here.

judging a person based on the use of the word cringe? holy shit, im glad that im not you.

Nah get For Honor instead.

summon 24/7

Maybe so, but you're fighting
>skeleton
>standard Yokai
>giant skeleton with Axe
>Tongue monks
For the vast majority of the game.

That door says pirate do you think a pirate lives in there?

there are also many different human enemies, yoki's, amrita fiends(those yoki's with the crystals), wheels, tengu's and one eyed onis on every corner

> I was just making the point that dark souls has very little in the way of story and people like you who extoll it as some type of masterpiece in story-telling are the only "cringe" thing here.

i said that i like the lore and think it has depth, never said it was a masterpiece. im not a massive souls-fan, stop implying that on every sentence you make. it is unique in its storytelling, and thats what i like about it. However, i think a lot of its lore has loose ends where the "objective" on some path of the lore is completely meaningless. But this also get me the feeling of a world where you are not actually an allknowing individual. youre on a lone pilgrimage in a hostile world, you make up all the pieces of the lore, not anyone else.

How do you efficiently kill those standard big horned demon dudes?

I can only kill them like 50% of the time.

More like
>Skeleton
>Yokai
>Giant skeleton
>Crystal yokai
>Birdman
>Fat fuck with one eye
>Skinny fuck with one eye
>Floaty head
>Hippy monk who summons floaty head
>Samurai
>Ninja
>Villager with shitty broomstick spear
And I'm sure there's more but I don't get why people are saying there's no variety honestly it hasn't bothered me once

I want this game bad but fuck having to buy a PS4. PC release when?

>Implying critics know jack shit about videogames
Go watch some IGN you faggot

>Great combat mechanics
>Axe master Race
Why would you praise the combat mechanics whilst also thinking the weapon type with the absolute worst mechanics that are pretty much a copy of dark souls to be the best?

no one cares gtfo

what do you mean?!

Never you dirty shit. Sony published it internationally. Never fucking ever.

>Is it better than Dark Souls and Bloodborne? Is it more fun?

Tedious gameplay
Absolutely fucking awful characters, acting, cutscenes, everything is weeb-cringeworthy
Shit music
Bosses are just Diablo / Souls clones

5/10 overhyped piece of shit game.
Only rampant weebs would enjoy it.

Enemy variety is not the greatest but that is probably most noticeable because they throw so many of them at you and they aren't really quarantined like they are in Souls games where you only really run into certain enemies in certain areas. Off the top of my head I can list most of them not counting the many bosses.

Skeleton (various weapon types)
Giant skeleton
Revenant yokai (zombie looking dudes)
Yoki (various weapon types)
Amrita infused yoki (various weapon types and they are different from above since they have new attacks)
One eyed yokai
Little kid yokai
Tongue yokai
Tengu yokai
Umbrella yokai
Cloth lady yokai
Ball and chain sub-boss
Skull heads
Firewheels
Blob things
The lute yokai
Living statues
Humans (various weapon types)
Ninjas
Omnyo mages
Player revenants

Might be missing some but those are the vast majority and you fight a lot of them in every stage.

funny that you mention ign because they rate nioh better than das 3

Its hard to take your argument seriously when you just parrot buzzwords from Sup Forums and youtube.

>it just FEELS so mysterious and vast!
>the lore is so deep if you would only read into it!

Tell me, did you actually feel this way when playing the game? Because i played through dark souls 5 times and my reading comprehension is just as good as yours, yet the only impression i had about the story and lore is that it gives you a very unclear motivation to visit a bunch of standard fantasy settings with a slightly melancholic tone.

Enemy variety totally killed the game for me.

>Enjoying the fuck out of it pulling CUHRAAAYZEEE combos with 2kat/spear
>Get to Region 5
>Still fighting the exact same enemies
>Get bored
>Stop playing

Such a fucking shame as well, the game has a god tier foundation

Fuck off nioh shill

The souls games aren't even in this game's league.

Yes, and yes. It's consistently fun and rewarding and it only gets better after you unlock the tea house.

The fact that you watch IGN to know this

Btw das 3 was shit

i just looked up a couple ratings from different sites and most of them rate nioh higher than dark souls 3 and I agree dark souls turned to shit after 2 came out

rather give me bloodborne 2 instead of fucking dark souls 2 or 3 tho

Anyone else almost get a nostalgic feel to nioh? Like when games weren't shitty open world's with no content instead levels crafted with care and love?

>Its hard to take your argument seriously when you just parrot buzzwords from Sup Forums and youtube.

fuck the words user. english is not my native language. cancer buzzwords like these are the ones ive learned to use when explaining shit like this.

>Tell me, did you actually feel this way when playing the game?

i did. does that bother you? or does that make me retarded? i liked it for what it was, and ive never experienced a game like it before.

critizing souls lore is fine, it is not perfect. comparing it to nioh? that is when i stop. no intellectual being actually prefer Nioh's story over dark souls.

I was playing really conservative until until the duel with True Shiggy, learned the hard way you have to be in constant movement back and forth and it's much more advantageous to you if you dodge forward into the attacks since the iframes are enough than be a coward.
Now i'm Sawnik The Slayer of Yokai.

Better waifus.

What's this from?

Fuku and Blacksmith-chan are better

yea kinda reminds me of playing onimusha back in the day

Basically equal, as there are tradeoffs, but at the same time a fair amount of strengths over the souls series.

The combat is objectively deeper. Even if you ask diehard souls veterans they won't argue much with you (but hey, there is also depth in simplicity.)

Enemy variety is far lower than souls, but you're also not feeling like it's a bad thing because in addition the enemies are all very close in strength. It adds a more consistent feeling of difficulty as opposed to souls, where some enemies are pathetically weak, yet others are just flat out stronger than you, have infinite stamina, and could easily defeat half the bosses in the game.

Nioh has fairly impressive sound design and a much stronger feeling of atmosphere early on. I don't know if it's because of more prevalent music or ambiance, but you get a really potent sense of 'life' around you, and sometimes that can be sorely missing in souls until later on (although Bloodborne is a bit of an answer to that one.)

Tne thing you simply can't forsake in Souls, is that your character can always look however you want; fully customizable and could potentially be anyone. on top of that you could be a sorcerer, a pyromancer, a knight, a brute, an assassin, a thief. There's just a lot more going on there.

William is a great character at the end of the day but yeah, it's definitely a noticeable tradeoff to not have a choice in who that character is.

This is how i would like to die

PIKACHU THE HORN

market analyst over here

Fuck sloth i hope that shit get's nerfed asap. I was actually having fun and the game was difficult until i discovered this bullshit spell. Every single boss is so easy with this shit it's gamebreaking.