JRPG Thread

Is this game good ? I'm thirsting for some good old JRPG.
Also JRPG General I guess.

Too bad the genre is dying.

>Is this game good?
No.

>Final Fantasy is doing poorly
>Pokemon, Dragon Quest and all other series are doing just as well as always
You're an idiot.

It´s good if you like old school JRPGs.

Agreed. The number of genuinely good titles (actually good, not good by turbo weeb "It's from Japan!/It's """""retro"""""!" standards) in the 2010s can be counted on your fingers.

>JRPG
>genre

Just thinking about the ps1 era makes me sad.

>"Hey guys, wanna read my fat white kid in the UK/US 'manga'?"

It was fun. Not challenging at all, but I enjoyed it. Great OST.

I dunno, but I'm gonna get it on the Switch and no bitter chadstation faggots are gonna stop me.

Why would anyone with a PS4 care? It's already on PS4. And Vita. And PC.

Why not play a good old jrpg instead of a new jrpg pretending to be an old jrpg?

>Is this game good?
Not really, no.

It's less shitty than the Bravely games, at least.

>hey guys, want to hear by greentext that has nothing to do with the post I'm referencing?

RPG is a genre. JRPG is a classification of RPGs. And one that is so overused, its lost all its meaning.

I'm just happy Ni No Kuni 2 is coming to pc.
The first one brought me so much joy on the ps3.

>rpgs made in Japan
>lost all its meaning
what

sub-genre.

And yet people who aren't autistic have no problem knowing what games to discuss when the term is used.

>JRPG thread
I've been playing Crisis Core.

Crisis Core is dumb.

That new ps4 theme for FF7 is pretty good.
I'm still mad about the whole episodic bullshit for the remake tho.

It is. Fuck Genesis and that ridiculous, overly dramatic ending, Zack's death was way more impactful in the original FF7.

People are classifying Korean games as JRPG just because they use anime style designs. And they also classify western made games as JRPG for the same reason (or idiotic reasons like any game with turn based gameplay is JRPG). Not to mention the opposing term, WRPG, has lost all its meaning.

So yes, its an outdated term that shouldn't be used anymore.

That's not what sub genre means. A sub genre would be ARPGs. Which again, idiots claim ARPG = WRPG. Which leads to idiots claiming games like Dark Souls is a WRPG.

It's one of the worst psp games I've played. Not even Mimana Iyar Chronicle has such shitty battle system and the story was more inconsequential than New Traveler.

Its alright, not too incredible because it tries too hard to copy an old formula instead of being good on its own.

If you want a good old jrpg then your best bet is to play an actual old jrpg. Personally been playing Xenoblade on Dolphin for instance. Great game.

Well, it is a Final Fantasy game...

>dumb people do dumb things and this is enough to scrap a term
really makes me think.

Xenoblade is anything but a good old jrpg. A good old offline mmorpg maybe.

>People are classifying Korean games as JRPG just because they use anime style designs. And they also classify western made games as JRPG for the same reason (or idiotic reasons like any game with turn based gameplay is JRPG).

That's a problem with a small minority of people being retarded and wrong, not with the term.

The writing and chemistry between characters is kind of cute at times, but yeah, Genesis is un-fucking-believably melodramatic, and it's pretty tough to take Sephiroth as a good guy when he's so obnoxiously broody.

So it's not just me being a casual that makes the battle system seem like shit? Like, what the fuck else am I supposed to do other than slap shit on the back and dodge the occasional thing? Is there actually any substantial way for me to interact with the DMW that I just don't know about?

>small minority of people
When it happens in nearly every thread, its no longer a small minority. You're also just proving how what you consider to be the definition of JRPGs has changed over the years, since it started off as a classification. And now you think its a genre definition.

Sup Forums is full of retards and/or trolls, more news at 11.
I'm suspecting you are the latter.

Boring as fuck, I don't remember a single thing about this game.

>You're an idiot.
No, you are.

"JRPG" is defined by it's cliches and tropes not where it was produced
they are all fucking garbage anyway in the early days they were just watered down wizardry clones that were more palatable for a general console audience then through the 90's they turned into glorified cinematic adventure games with retard proof """gameplay""" and never really got beyond that

>threads that regularly last several hundred posts
>an occasional retard starts this shit
>and half of them are trolls who know exactly what they're doing
>not a small minority

Is English not your first language?

No, that's pretty much all CC's combat has to offer.

Translation: Oh, I realize you're right. But I have to keep looking like I'm disagreeing.

Okay soundtrack

And here's the retard.

It's eh at best, one of those games you play and forget about it because nothing except the piano OST is really special, and the OST also becomes boring very fast, if not somewhat grating.
Just like others told you, you'd better play some actual old game instead of a modern game trying to ape old ones and failing miserably.
>Too bad the genre is dying.
t. EOP

>"JRPG" is defined by it's cliches and tropes not where it was produced
I really love KOTOR for being a JRPG.

but why

Is there an FF game that has at least decent realtime combat?

Yup. Definitely a troll.

>makes a bunch of points on topic
>kills it by claiming the person doesn't know English

What am I wrong about? You understand the history of these games right?
You think KOTOR is a jrpg?

Square charged me $40 for it and I played it for a few hours. It didn't capture me. It tries to be Chrono Trigger and just really is not even close. I wanted to like it more than I do. It's not terrible, I just had high hopes for it. I have since played through Final Fantasy IV on Steam three times and loved it.

>Just finished Chrono Trigger for the first time recently
>Even for a nearly 20+ year old game it's still one of the best JRPG's I've ever played
>Go online to see if they plan on remaking it/doing a sequel/etc. to a newer system after the DS remake.
>See nothing but ads about this game stating I'd love it if I enjoyed older style RPG's like CC.

I'm suspicious. It looks enjoyable but I don't trust marketing anymore. Should I go for it Sup Forums?

You said JRPGs are defined by their cliches and tropes. KOTOR shares many story and character tropes that Final Fantasy does. And has turn based combat like FFXII.

>You understand the history of these games right?
I'm pretty sure that guy understands it much more than you actually do.

It needs more side quests and multiple ends. As it is the game is linear until the end when you can do side quests before the last boss. The music is great, and I loved the art direction. It's very somber atmosphere and world that I really digged. The combat is exactly like Chrono Trigger's, but with some added mechanics. People complain about I am Setsuna being easy, but Chrono Trigger was easy as fuck and could beat the whole thing no problem with mainly Chrono, Marle, and Lucca -- so I don't see what the big fuss is about. JRPGs are for the most part easy. Fighting enemies on the screen and not having to transition to a separate battle screen is always a great mechanic that I loved from Chrono Trigger and was one of my biggest gripes about Chrono Cross (and the battle music was awful in CC).

I got 20 hours out of a $40 game, and it was worth it to me because I really do love JRPGs with elements that it had. As I said, it really needed more content in end but the core of the game was good to me. I hope we see more from this team.

>You understand the history of these games right?
Do you? JRPGs came from western RPGs like Ultima and Wizardry. Not to mention Wizardry is being kept alive by a Japanese studio.

If anything, JRPGs like Dragon Quest and Etrian's Odyssey are closer to traditional WRPGs than modern day WRPGs are.

Looks like it's worth twenty yurobucks. Thanks for your detailed opinion user.

I wonder when the next Wizardry game is going to be localized.

yes I can tell from his informative posts.
exactly the point though those games fall prey to some of the "jrpg" trappings too
elminage seems the most faithful to the older games in design and balance

>exactly the point though those games fall prey to some of the "jrpg" trappings too
elminage seems the most faithful to the older games in design and balance
Stop posting on your phone and use some god damn punctuation.

>decent realtime combat
Not that I know of, but I haven't touched a FF game since XII.
Not-versus maybe? It looks pretty bad though.
Oh, I believe zero(?) was pretty decent. I think it got an official release for the ps4 and a fan translation for the psp.

Type-0, you mean? I've heard mixed things about that. I'll give it a look.

I still have some songs of it on my phone, they are relaxing but listening in game over and over again gets really tiring.

>punctuation.
Oh no! My punctuation is being called out on an anonymous imageboard whatever shall I do?!

If you want people to actually respond to your arguments, you really should start using it to clarify your points.

Of course if all you care about is getting the last post in, then having people not understand your posts is probably the best choice.

>That new ps4 FF7 release
Playing at x3 speed and not having to grind as much for limits feels so good.

Yeah, that's the one.
I only played it for like an hour or two, but its battle system was much better than CC's. I don't know if the story is any good though.
I can't play non-branching jrpgs without dropping them anymore.

>Newest jrpg that I really want is only on Vita and is currently japan only
Fuck life

>favorite JRPG series is one of the best selling worldwide, but was ignored for a decade because it doesn't sell as well as Final Fantasy
>finally get a couple games, but still have to beg for localizations

and nothing of value is lost