How do you feel about video game remakes?

How do you feel about video game remakes?

Is he right? Doesn't Resident Evil Remake disprove his statement? RE1 was already a masterpiece and REmake just made it even better.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kqbvWoAFsQ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How many remakes have their been really?

I can only think of Goldeneye (which I liked to an extent, Bond of Duty) and REmake.

Remakes have been a thing for awhile
remember The Twin Snakes?

If REmake was better then RE1 wasn't a masterpiece

RE1 was a masterpiece for its time. But REmake has superior graphics and more choice in movement, allowing the player to choose a more comfortable movement style or a more classic one.

It's masterpiece+.

Ain't that guy talking about movies?

They can both be masterpieces.

Applying this statement to video games doesn't work.

>call of duty did great back with mw2
>series has since then died
>10 years from now
>the kids and teens who played mw2 have now grown up
>they remake or make a clone of ye olde call of duty
>cod becomes great again

Still don't know where cod is going today, will they keep releasing a new entry every year or actually stop at some point?

You're using Rich Evans thoughts on movies for his thoughts on video games.

Rich Evans thoughts on games is that he fucking hates scripted movie bullshit and that games should have gameplay.

Look at his Firewatch review

youtube.com/watch?v=kqbvWoAFsQ8

But at the time REmake came out the original had plenty of room for improvement. The thing is movies don't age as quickly, Ghost Busters was still perfect last year.

His quote is 100% right for movies. For games, there's the additional concept of technical quality. You can remake a game that was already perfect and get something better if all you do is pure technical improvements - adding some resolution here, a particle effect there, but not touching the actual content.

Other than that, it still applies. If you're altering the content at all, you better made damn sure you're remaking something where you CAN improve the content.

Couldn't you say the same thing for movies? Remaking old ones with new tech ie., making them in HD?

Movies aren't interactive, so the argument is definitely not a 1:1

Actors get old.

Technology ain't just better graphics - and that's really all movies can do in terms of tech improvement - better graphics, audio if you wanna nitpick.

Film has been in perfectly clear definition for a very long time and there are certain aspects you could say it still holds superior to digital HD video recording. There is a reason beyond being a hipster that filmmakers still use it to this day

Ghostbusters is fucking garbage in all of it's incarnations, it's not funny.

I will never understand the appeal, Bill Murray has never made me laugh.

Reminder that Rich Evans and Aids Moby couldn't even finish Dragon's Dogma

Imagine if they remade every Carpenter film. Or Alien/s. Or anything that made great use of technology and craftsmanship at the time and then replaced it with another green screen backdrop.

I feel sorry for you user. Ghostbusters 1 is a classic. Besides a lot of the best lines came from Ray anyway.

I refunded it after an hour. DD sucked dicks.

REmake is different in that it actually had a good amount of effort put into it, along with the original director who knew what he wanted the game to be.

MK9 is basically a remake of the first three games.

I don't like the original Star Wars movies all that much either and people will NEVER shut the fuck about them, especially RLM.

I agree with you, user. Of course you're just a contrarian faggot if you don't also have good taste in other movies to make up for it.

Not trying to be contrarian, and it's all about personal taste..

I enjoyed Zardoz more than any Star Wars film.

I mean both of you can not like the original Star Wars and Ghostbusters, but hopefully you can see the difference in quality and genuineness between them and their remakes.

If you're just gonna say "both are equally trash" then you ARE contrarians, no splitting hairs.

The problem with remakes is the original devs are often not the devs that do the remake.

In theory, there is never a time for video games where a remake won't benefit from the new graphics/sound technologies that come even five years later. Even 2D games could all benefit from less restrictive sprite limits, higher bitrate music.

But because market standards have changed, the gamplay itself is also going to change. They start remixing the OST, tweaking characters designs, story elements etc. To the point it's no longer a remake but a reboot.

Ghostbusters yes. Star Wars is a waste of time.

Eh, I just get sick of the fan circle jerking.

I don't want remakes as much as I want old games that were ham-stringed by sub-par hardware ported to newer systems that can actually support them. Obviously this is an issue for consoles more than PC's.

but the game gets good after five minutes

There was the Odin Sphere remake in terms of recent release

Huh, I didn't even hear about this. Cool I guess.

Holy fuck that bald retard is the very embodiment of numale cuck

I enjoy video game remakes when sufficient time has passed and technological advances been made. REMake looked and felt so much better than RE1 that it was justified. On the other hand, I see a lot of people already calling for a Dark Souls remake, which doesn't make any sense to me. Assuming Dark Souls 3 is currently the best that From can make something look and feel, there's no reason for a DS1 remake as of yet.

it's best selling game of 2016 (in the US)
where do you think it's going mate

I'm pretty sure he's the only RLM member with a wife and kids though. He seems to be the most "normie" of the group, which is kindof reflected in his tastes.

I don't particularly disagree with what he's saying in the video (though I've never played Firewatch myself), but Rich is just way too eager to brush the game off entirely.

That statement doesn't work with video games. Classics movies never need to be remade, no matter how old they get they will always maintain their visual fidelity. Classic video games are deserving of remakes because classic video games are ugly as fuck now. What was impressive tech at the time now feels like a jumbled mass of pixels and rough edges, so of course they need to be update eventually. Its also why stylized games need fewer updates, a game that goes for an aesthetically pleasing appearance won't become magically unappealing as time goes on.
/autism

>disprove
Not at all.

The secondary movement style was only added in the re-release. And its really just the movement system from the Outbreak games.