Based SOLELY on their respective games in the 90's, who really was best?

Based SOLELY on their respective games in the 90's, who really was best?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if we're talking 2d games they're equal

I only owned a genesis not a snes
prior to sm64 I only played the gameboy games
To this day I dont care much for smw but classic sonic is timeless

Mario had SM64
Sonic had Sonic Adventure
I think it's clear who made the jump to 3D much better.

Mario, no question.

Come on now
>Super Mario World
>Super Mario All-Stars
>Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
>Super Mario: Yoshi's Island
>Super Mario Kart
>Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
>Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
>Super Mario 64
>Donkey Kong '94
>Mario Kart 64
>Mario Party
>Mario Party 2
>Mario Golf (N64)
>Mario Golf (GBC)
>Mario's Tennis
>Mario Clash
>Mario & Wario
And I'm not even naming all of the more obscure games

Mario easily.
youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw

Mario imo

I like Sonic more, I'll always love him the best. But I gotta say that objectively, Mario had the better games overall. Still, they were both pretty amazing at the time.

Mario.

Not even a debate.

Wario

Mario. I never liked Sonic's "hold down the d-pad and have the whole level woosh past you" gameplay. Mario gives you more control and I like finding secrets in Mario through jumping in a inconspicuous location or cleverly using a powerup rather than just trying to stay on the uppermost path in Sonic games

Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island > Any sonic game

Obviously the one which survived.

>linking that video
Have a pity (You)

Mario, but Sonic is gud too.

So,both of them ?

this. i was too dumb to play sonic as a kid anyway, i'd get to like the fourth level and cry as lava rose or drown in a lake

Only Sonic autists could think otherwise.

>2000+17
>Still thinking that sonic will see light of the in the next decade.

Sonic fans are retarded.

Neither.

SM64 plays like shit, and so does SA.

>be a kid
>get an SNES
>keep seeing the Sonic commercials and want to try that
>eventually manage to get back to ToysRus and exchange the SNES for Geoffrey dollars
>buy Genesis and play Sonic
>eventually want to play Super Mario World again
>repeat process back & forth 3 more times until eventually saving up money to just own both
>somehow this was allowed by ToysRus

ToysRus was the best rental store if you were a smart kid.

Mario had less "bad" games by comparison even if you count the edutainment titles. Fuck even shit like Mario is Missing and Mario Teaches Typing were better than Sonic's Schoolhouse.

It's true though.

Mario 64 >>>>>>>> SA1

Sonic has different paths but there's a weirdly specific way that you have to do everything. You have to get in the right position to bounce into something a certain way and then you just have to let go of the controller. It feels fucking awful and it's really limiting on player agency.

In terms of games? Mario was generally better. In terms of marketing? There was once a time when Sega was the king of video game marketing.

>respective games in the 90's
Sonic.
80s: Mario, for obvious reasons.
00s: Mario again.
10s: We've already gotten generations, but I've got a feeling Mania is going to further turn the tide.

I'd say Mario because he made the perfect transition into 3D when it came to controls.

Both of them were putting out great games in the 5th gen, and I'd call both S3&K and Yoshi's Island some of the best games in the 2D platformer genre. Sonic was practically absent throughout the 5th gen though, while Mario put out the likes of Super Mario 64, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario.

Mario wins.

Since this thread's up already, I wanna buy a Genesis but I'm not sure if I should go with a model 1 or 2. Model 2 is smaller and sleeker, not to mention cheaper to get nowadays than the Model 1, but I find its design to be very mute in comparison to my other consoles. The Model 1 is pleasing to my eyes, but I hear that it only has stereo sound on the front of the console and that the a/v out on the back is mono only. which one should I go for?

>Still, they were both pretty amazing at the time.
>We'll never have that kind of fierce rivalry and both companies putting out their best again

Sonic doesn't even come close. It's a novelty, not a rival.

>worst games in the series are still good
kekeroni

>comparing the very first game in the Sonic series to the fourth main game in the Mario series
Wouldn't it make more sense to compare Super Mario World to Sonic 3 and Knuckles?

You mean Sonic&Tails, right?

>Comparing two games locked-on to each other with one game

Compare S3&K with SMW and Yoshi's Island combined.

Super Mario World was better than any of the Genesis Sonic games. Mania isn't gonna help much. Even if it turns out good, it's not gonna erase a decade of embarrassment and failure. Mario, at least, still holds a certain amount of acclaim to this day and even at its lowest point, it was still better off than Sonic.

The most Mania can do is take Sonic out of a shit-infested gutter and place him in a urine-encrusted public bathroom. A little better, but it's gonna take way more time and effort to fix this shit.

And Mania in its very concept has some issues as well. It reminds me of Mega Man 9. Great game, but couldn't save the franchise in the long run. And Mega Man was in a far better state than Sonic was.

Never again

>Comparing two games locked-on to each other
They're the same game, user.

When i was a kid i had a Genesis and somehow played Super Mario Bros, i tryed finding the rom but it doesn't exist, it had Super Mario World graphics but it was SMB, i also played sonic and it was better, more interesting level design and boss battles

Even back then I couldn't figure out why so many sports games on Genesis.

>Sonic Mania
>Sonic 2017
Well, at least I don't need to buy a Shitch for these.

>Super Mario World was better than any of the Genesis Sonic games

Stopped reading right there.
Didn't satisfy me as a Mario fan at the time it came out, doesn't now beyond romhacks.
It's not a bad game, but it absolutely failed to live up what Super Mario Bros. 3 left me hoping for back in the day.
I can understand the love if this was your first console Mario or something, but beyond that I'd rather have been playing a Sonic title in the 90s.

>And Mega Man was in a far better state than Sonic was.
With all due respect, you are completely fucking delusional. Before MM9:
>The Classic series had been dead for 10 years, minus Powered Up, which bombed
>The X series was killed off spectacularly when MHX, X8, and CM bombed
>Zero and Battle Network died peacefully
>Legends was on indefinite hiatus
>ZX got shitcanned
>Star Force was on its way out

I think making 7 different subseries hurt the brand as a whole, I wonder why they did that

(You)

>hold down the d-pad and have the whole level woosh past you
never played Sonic: the post

>the game's fanbase grew up and became productive members of society

Mario by a fucking MILE.

Nothing Sega has ever done even comes close to Mario 64.

>bait image and post
Sad!

>nintendrones are this delusional
W A H O O

Sonic
>1
>2
>3
>S&K
>CD
>Adventure

Mario
>SMW
>SMW2
>64

Mario had it really good, but all 6 Sonic games are classics. Sonic wins this decade barely and proceeds to lose the rest of his life.

Adventure is a hilariously bad game. Fuck off my nigga.

If you only play the Sonic levels it's good.

EA. Trip Hawkings hated Nintendo's guts and only made NES games because the shareholders flat out said that if EA didn't make NES games he would be fired.
When Sega relwased their first console EA jumped ship to Sega after blackmailing Sega to get some good deals in terms of profit sharing per cartridge.

>90's

Mario has SM64, this isn't even a debate. Few games are as widely influential, and that's without even calling upon World, Yoshi's Island, or the All-Stars compilation. It's just not necessary.

Sonic easily

lol

>The most Mania can do is take Sonic out of a shit-infested gutter and place him in a urine-encrusted public bathroom
This has gotta be the dumbest analogy I've read on Sup Forums yet. Bravo. And also:
>Super Mario World was better than any of the Genesis Sonic games
Hoo boy, I know it's all about opinions and shit, but this just sounds more like you prefer Mario World just because you were told by the internet that the Sonic series always sucked. Both Sonic and Mario play out vastly different between one another, and while Mario World is an excellent game, the original Sonic games have always been top notch in its own right.

>Even if it turns out good, it's not gonna erase a decade of embarrassment and failure
Obviously, Sonic Mania isn't going to instantaneously fix its awful track record, but a small step CAN go a long way, and it's very important to see the actual development history of this particular game rather than just viewing it through face value. A game being created by actual fans well known for having made fangames prior to this one showcases SEGA's acknowledgement that fans are more than capable of creating a top notch quality game better than what Sonic Team can currently do. That's a pretty big fucking deal when we have Nintendo being anal and shutting down fan projects like AM2R just because they have to protect their IP, which they don't even bother to work on themselves.

Super Mario Bros 3 and Yoshi's Island were far better than anything Sonic put out. Wario Land also started in the 90s, although I'm not sure I would say that Virtua Boy Wario Land is better than a Sonic title. (Wario Land 3 and Wario Land 4 were 2000 and 2001, respectively.)

I doubt few people got good at sonic like they were supposed to. There's things to explore, secret levels too. There's a straight path to the end but that's if you ignore everything and the same applies to Mario.
Mario is not about speed and the levels are less complex, making it more about platforming. In sonic the levels are pretty huge, and if you just go right you will eventually hit an enemy or stage hazard. There was no save, losing all your lives meant going back to stage 1. This meant you would play the game over and over again trying to memorize the levels since you have to beat it in one run. You have to remember ever jump, loop, enemy and stage hazard location while taking advantage of the games mechanics. There's a lot to the physics of the game that help you gain and lose momentum as well as jump in various angles. If you explored and practiced you'd be able to play the game at high speeds and that's the real experience.
I still like Mario more though as it's much more unified to me. All aspects of the games design work in harmony. SMW and SM64 were masterpieces.

Mario, but Sonic 2 and 3 & Knuckles are very big incentives to go the other way. But Mario also has quantity with the quality.

This guy gets it.

It's also why I like Donkey Kong Country more than both. It manages to be the best of both worlds.

Sonic.

I never liked Mario that much until the 3D games came out.

Sonic is dragged down massively by crap Game Gear spinoffs, the mediocre and glitchy Sonic Adventure, and underwhelming Saturn games.

Mario had World, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Mario Land 2

>Mario 3 is one of the best games of all time
>Mario 3 is in All Stars
>So mario 3 is a 90's game too

The winner is obvious even though early sonic games are legit fun.

Mario, and I grew up with Sonic. The main problem was that Sega was always playing catch-up. Sonic games are great on their own, but compared to the Mario games of the same timeframe Nintendo was always a step ahead.

Sonic completely missed the 32bit era while Mario was making history with Mario 64.

Crash was like the 3D equivalent of Sonic until Adventure came out so yeah Mario wins.

The one you grew up with.

I don't think Sonic would have made for a fun game in the infancy of the 3D plaformer era. Sonic's main gimmick is momentum, but in a 3D environment going too fast while platforming is a recipe for disaster as the faster you're going the less precise you can be. Even nowadays they have to heavily script 3D Sonic stages and restrict your controls in order to give the feeling of going fast while keeping the player from losing to the game itself rather than the challenges presented by the game.

Furthermore, memory limits would limit the possible length of stages, causing most "fast" stages to be completed in about 20 seconds. If you wanted to do platforming you'd end up with Mario 64 sized levels for platforming environs, but again with Sonic being a momentum based platformer you'd run into problems when it comes to precision jumping.

tl;dr, A 3D Sonic game would not have made for a fun game in the 32bit era. It was all about translating 2D concepts to a 3D space and Sonic still struggles with that 20 years later. A proper 2D Sonic game during the era wouldn't really be possible either, because Sega would just get mocked for not trying to bring him into the 3D era.

Whatever I say is irrelevant: The Post.

>Super Mario World
>challenging

lol. I prefer Mario to Sonic but let's be real.

Common misconception. SM64 actually has the best controls of the series.

Technically, I grew up with Mario on the NES. But I preferred Sonic in the '90s. Mario didn't do a lot between Mario World and Mario 64.

mario had more good games
but the best sonic games beat out the best mario games

it's a strange quality/quantity ratio.

just my opinions man. still love me dem ol' sanics. cd/3d blast don't get the love they deserve.

Super Mario World was extremely underwhelming. Sonic was a revelation.

in 2d is sonic, even if Mario is close
in 3d mario hands down
overall mario wins, but I have a soft spot personally for the classic sonic games

I've been replaying it on dreamcast, and no. The atmoshpere is amazing... But the actual gameplay for every character except Gamma is ass. Glitches absolutely everywhere, like Sonic 06. I randomly cliped through the floor in Station Square... And on top of that, they put Big the Fucking Cat in there. Feels like a demo for the more solid gameplay of Sonic Adventure 2. Only thing SA1 does better is the emerald radar.

>all these plebs worshipping SMW

Look, I don't know where the meme of calling Mario World the best Mario game came from (from a sidescroller perspective, 3 is better imo, and 64 is contender for GOAT) but if you're comparing Mario's main series output with Sonic's you can handily beat Sonic 1 and maybe even 2, but SMW is, at best, on par with Sonic CD. 3&K, on the other is probably the best 2D platformer ever made.

In terms of consistent quality, Mario beats out Sonic handily. But Sonic's highs mop the floor with Mario's.

this is true

1985-1991 - Mario
1991 - 1996 - Sonic
1996 - Today - Mario

>SMW
>superior to anything
it is the inferior version of SMB3 and SMB2 even. Terrible art direction and mediocre gameplay

Sonic 3&K isn't a very good platformer, though. There's very little platforming in the game and much of the game is automated. It's a good game and very fun, but I'd argue the earlier Sonic games are better platformers.

>I played angel island and then quit
there is plenty of platforming down the line

Nah, I've beaten the game hundreds of times. Angel Island actually has some of the most platforming in the game. What little there is.

But it is true fag
Mario = Quality
Sonic = Rollercoaster with lots of dips

Sonic fag in full denial
Face it user Mario World is better than sonic trilogy.

Both series were excellent in the '90s. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

>whole thread arguing based on mario 64 and SA1, not snk3 and mario world
plebs all of you.

>Jet Set Radio
>Skies of Arcadia
>Shenmue

>Hydropolis zone
>Ice cap
>flying battery
>Launch base
>lava reef act 2
>sky sanctuary
just to name some the best
I agree that the earlier entries had more, but those levels are packed full

What do you expect, I imagine most of the fags in this thread weren't even born when the SNES and Genesis thing was going on.

>super mario world
oh that game that had less content than an nes game released 3 years earlier

Mario, because little did we know, he had a much much brighter future ahead of him.

Fuck off the reason is that sonic formula has never reached its peak because it lacks quality.
Focus on fast - shit platforming
Focus on Platforming - control sucks because sonic is shit at precision.

Super Mario World is fun the first time you play it, but once you know where all the secrets are, there's not a lot of replayability. And it's too damn easy.

>sonic is shit at precision.

git gud

when I was a kid my big brother had a Megadrive and my big sister had a SNES

I played SMW and Sonic 1, 2 and 3, and SMW beats them all

>what is Lava Reef Zone
>what is Ice Cap Zone
>what is Sandopolis Zone

Tight platforming challenges do exist in 3&K, but the level design is large and sprawling to accomodate exploration. 3&K levels are HUGE, with tons of branching paths. The game expects you to use your speed to gain height and explore cliffsides you normally wouldn't be able to reach.

SMW treats its more OP skills as handicaps instead of designing around them, save for a few specific levels. The super cape alone makes a ton of the stages super easy, to the point where you can even cheese out the special world levels with the cape; they don't even bother trying to stop you, because they only design one-to-two tier obstacle courses, instead of environments you can cleverly platform your way through.