Hey are there any good Dungeons and Dragons video games besides the famous Infinity Engine stuff...

Hey are there any good Dungeons and Dragons video games besides the famous Infinity Engine stuff? I think it's kind of strange that there aren't a million D&D RPGs all the time and it's pretty much restricted to the old isometric games.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Williams#In_control_of_TSR
youtu.be/Rs45MhrATzs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dark Alliance 1 and 2

the famous Gold Box games, I don't know how they hold up today however

>I think it's kind of strange that there aren't a million D&D RPGs
Licensing is a thing and that bitch made sure to kill DnD as best as she was able to. There's a reason there's no pretty much no games written in 4th or 5th.

To answer your question, though: The Capcom side scrollers and Wizardry series. Also the ones that are rather close to being based on it, like Dragon Quest and the early Final Fantasies.

>that bitch
who?

is the dnd tactics game for psp any good?

It's not offically D&D and the story is nothing but Knights of the Chalice is really fun.

Both Dark Sun games and the eye of the beholder are good and were recently released on GoG

That looks a lot like the Cacodemon from Doom.

why not just play dnd

What bitch are you referring to?

I heard the story in sword coast legends was actually pretty good but the gameplay is so shit I can't see it.

your mom

Thanks m8s I'll check those out!

Oh shit I forgot all about Dark Sun game!
Like I said I find it really weird that there aren't simply more games based on D&D settings, of course a billion games use the mechanics and shit but surely a well made Ravenloft or Spelljammer game should've been made at some point

It's okay. A little too easy. There are better tactics games for the psp. Like FF's War of the Lions.

D&D doesnt translate well to video games. And if they made a D&D game too faithful to source, it would put Wizards RPG division out of business.

They can only afford to make 7/10 "it was okay" games

>Knights of the Chalice

I hate to sound like a graphics whore, but the perspective of KotC is just too off-putting for me. It's like the creators looked at Ultima VI and went
>yep, this is what we want our art direction to look like
>but let's make it even more fucked up!

I can put up with a lot, but this... this I just can't. I'm sorry for being a dirty casual.

Lorraine Williams. She is the one responsible from driving Gary Gygax from the company and subsequently doing her level best to shit all over the brand because she veritably disliked the game.

She moreover sued Gygax over copyright infringement when he tried to publish a new game in a new company with a new IP-- the case was ultimately thrown out.

She tried to jump on the bandwagon that Magic: The Gathering was responsible with a game called Dragon Dice which failed spectacularly-- it tanked so bad it dragged TSR under.

A lot of people consider Williams one of the lowest points in D&D's history.

Dark Sun Shattered Lands

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Williams#In_control_of_TSR

>Williams was a financial planner who saw the potential for transforming the company into a highly profitable one. However, she supposedly disdained gaming, viewing herself as superior to gamers.

You obviously can't create the reactivity of a real campaign with friends but you can do a lot for getting the mechanics and tone of a great adventure with bros in dark dungeons fighting monsters pretty accurately.

Personally, Blades of Vengeance is the closest thing to the tone of D&D I have ever played.

Yea, but
>Electronic Arts

This was the mid 90s when EA still was decent.

I miss when fantasy art looked like this.

Neverwinter Nights and the expansions and fan modules are the closest thing to DnD on PC

the gameplay isn't bad, it's just pretty slow and not something for people who like diablo 3.

That's where (I assume) Adrian Carmack got the inspiration

There won't be any like d&d, but you can find some that are inspired by it.

MOTHERFUCKING SHADOW OVER MYSTARA NIGGA

time commitment and lack of friends who are willing to play or have the time to play regularly

There's dozens of them nigger just use google. The Eye of the Beholder games are top tier.

But that's not ToEE.

Who the fuck thought that D&D translates well into the realtime/pause system anyways.

its the only way to have single player dnd, it makes sense what with how segments/time translates

normally everyone at the table takes turns deciding what to do and everyone rolls out

this way if you dont want the characters to do anything weird or special they just fight in real time instead of rolling each attack for 4 people

ToEE was the first DnD campaign I ever played. Never beat it. DM homebrewed the rules to be like Hackmaster and would kill PCs often.

>2000+17 years since the death of Jesus
>still no rpg that has cool planes shit other than Planescape: Torment.

Its an injustice, I tell you.

But seriously though, why Greyhawk? Of all things, why fucking Greyhawk? What kind of cruel joke is this?

>there will never be a Magic The Gathering rpg

This is suffering.

Because the original module was set in Greyhawk

wtf D&D ripped off Doom?!

Just like other Troika games, it was a passion project. They wanted to make the Greyhawk game, they did it.
ToEE did the combat right. Infinity Engine games feel like a total clusterfuck afterwards.

It's the OG campaign setting and deserves some respect.
I also give it credit for being based a little more on real life medieval history and Arthurian chivarlic tales instead of the (admittedly entertaining) over the top fantasy other campaign settings go for.

I get that, but this is still painful as fuck. They finally make a proper TB isometric DnD game, and they just have to set it in the single most boring setting possible. It's like they wanted people to not enjoy it.

The new Torment guys wanted to get the Planescape license from wotc, but they wouldn't give it to them, fuck wotc.

>tfw 2e DnD settings was the peak and every edition since then has cared more about game mechanics instead of the world(s) and lore

Game mechanics are more important than world and lore buddy.
I don't give a shit about the dwarf city's tax policy or if the rivers flow realistically to real life, I need the game's systems to actually work properly.

Why are so many great/classic rpg's based around the story then?

If I want good game mechanics and don't give a shit about the story, I would play Dark Souls, but those are different kinds of games.

Was Dark Sun basically the most metal D&D world?

>caring more about combat in a ROLE-PLAYING game instead of a proper story and world

because the world is over and just being alive in the setting requires you to be level 3.

>FemaleJoinsGuild.webm

Single-player CRPGs are not role-playing.

Greyhawk is very sword and sorcery and a little bit science fantasy. There's a definite veneer of historical accuracy, but there's much more weird fiction and cosmic horror under the surface than authurian legend. It's not full blown appendix G, but there are more elements of it than in later settings.

Oh I thought you were asking why Dark Sun is the most metal world. Well yeah Dark Sun was metal as fuck. The door to that world is sealed shut in Sigil. Nobody wants to fuck with that place.

What the fuck are you on about?

isn't Dark Sun actually Dragonlance world like in the far far future?

Isn't the story the DM's/players' job and not the game's?

Pre written campaigns exist though, because they make that shit 10x easier. You can only come up with so much shit in the moment.

I just want a new Spelljammer, dammit.

Selecting from a short list of pre-written dialog scripts is not role-playing.

Not sure I never really fucked with Dragonlance. I don't think so though because in Dark Sun magic is evil and actively pollutes the environment and makes everything toxic. Although the world is essentially ruled by evil dragons or dragons in the making.

The level of depth, complexity, and interest compared between a setting written by a passionate DM and a team of writers can be pretty vast.

I don't think you know what I'm talking about at all, friend. Talking about settings from DnD used in pen and paper campaigns. Not the video game adaptions and spiritual successors.

2e wasn't locked to dungeon crawling mechanically like 1e and had robust combat and resolution without being a shitty miniatures game with endless trap options like 3e. It doesn't break when you remove shit and doesn't break when you add, either.

2e also had the best campaign settings to do whatever you wanted from. Quicker playability with less work and easy to bullshit.

I remember when 4th edition was coming out and they were promising a faithful computer version of the game. Ha.

It still does - Vallejo and his wife still paint.

I disagree. Having more mechanical options helps a lot with developing the characters.

The
Temple
of
Elemental
Evil

A very solid game if you ask me. Really have fun with all of its pro's and all of its fault. Also get the Circle of Eight mods for it, you wont be disappointed if you are looking for a straight up old school feel RPG.

MotB is the best D&D game and it has nothing to do with the IE. You are retarded.

5E > 3.5E

3.5E is only good because of the sheer vast amounts of content released for it and even that is questionable when a lot of it suffers from power creep and makes casters even more powerful

4E is shit.

It's a crap shoot. I feel like all the mechanical complexity of 3e is only there to autism proof the game from maladapt retards who want to be dicks, which it fails at miserably. Mechanically simpler games give you more room for development outside of stats, barbarians of lemuria being in the sweet spot for me.

>pick up Neverwinter Nights day 1
>kill a cool looking dude with a nice armor and a sword
>can't loot any of that shit

Eye of the Beholder
Wizardry
Plascape

Wait a minute.. that head.

Great taste.

Mind = Blown

Wait did DOOM rip off the cacodemon from this

I know a retro Dungeons and dragons games.

youtu.be/Rs45MhrATzs

3do exclusive

neverwinter nights (find server, RP for days)
icewind dale
bauldurs gate
planescape

Shouldn't you be getting triggered by moralfags somewhere little Obsidiot?

Shouldn't you be in bed already?

I'm sorry i did not notice this about an old obscure 30 year old game before...

Women ruin everything.

>obscure

there are few games because 4th ed onward was terrible, most people just took tieflings and few other good things from 4th ed and used them in 3.5

I am really warming up with 5e to be honest. 3.5 is fun and all but one has to acknowledge the myriad of faults it has not to mention the ton of things one needs to memorize to maximize their characters. That and being a martial character really can fug you up long term specially against the insane enemies that a DM while giggling insanely can throw at you. You pretty much need to have initiative advantage and throw a truckload of damage as a martial character to even the odds and be efficient.

Yeah for people born after 1997 it's obscure which is true for most people here.

It is a little easy if you're used to dnd at all, but it has a robust design and will scratch that itch

Yeah, 3.5E is great in that it allows you to do a lot of fuckery and general jackassery but yeah like you said if you're playing a martial character and you have a wizard/cleric/druid in the party who knows what they're doing. It'd either be easy as fuck or you'd be thrown into the meat grinder since the DM would be trying to provide a challenge to Mr I Can Do Anything.

And yeah. If anything, I like 5E overall since it really did streamline 3.5E a lot to the point where you don't need to look up rules every 10 minutes but it still feels like 3.5E in terms of character classes feeling distinct rather than homogenized like in 4E.

>The most popular RPG
>Obscure

Maybe to kids like you who could say that their childhood was MW2 but there's far more obscure RPGs like Stars Without Numbers and Dungeon World.

With the players it's hit or miss, but as a DM it's huge when it comes to making NPCs, especially less important ones that would otherwise just be generics.

I don't have anyone to play with

Do you go to uni/college? Chances are there is a tabletop group there.

If not check your local game store if there are any groups, most people welcome newcomers just don't be a creep or pull any magical realm bullshit

>amazing game is a massive bug-ridden mess
>source code is released
>nobody can comprehend it still to this day

>or pull any magical realm bullshit

Pull what?

Don't insert your fetishes into the game.

Not in the country I live in, user

That's a shame user if you really want to play, there might be some people on /tg/ who are willing to play on Roll20 but I personally either play in person or with friends over Roll20

Holy shit, we are already socially awkward rejects, why would anyone want to make it even worse?

this isn't actually a problem in neverwinter nights, alot of people cyb and into drow and stuff. just find the right server.

PnP however, don't do that. those people probably know you.

You'd be surprised at how many THATGUYs insert their fetish into the game since they're even more autism than the average person who plays tabletop

To be fair they're consenting to that when they join XXX DROW BONDAGE DRIZZT SUB XXX, it's different to a DM getting a Mindflayer suddenly using their mind control to get the elf guy/chick in the party to strip and take up all those tentacles.

Because some people genuinely don't seem to have that part of their brain that tells them "Do not do this, everyone is creeped out by you right now." The number of horror stories that /tg/ has to tell about "That Guy" who tried to rape the drow captive, or "That Guy" who rolls to seduce EVER barmaid they ever meet... Just don't bring your urges to the table.

The biggest fault of 4e is that it gives description to what abilities or attacks a martial character does. The abilities does not give you enough 'imagination' in your head as to how you achieved said damage nor does it allow you to tell the DM and the other players how you did it since the description is there which is what broke me from 4e type of rp. Well that is how I felt as to why 4e does not feel like d&d at all.

Eye of the Beholder for SNES good luck figuring out how to attack though