I'LL KILL YOU AND THE CASTLEVANIA THREAD!

I'LL KILL YOU AND THE CASTLEVANIA THREAD!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VaB7t6EUCsg
youtube.com/watch?v=kX_4XPNKfOE
youtube.com/watch?v=9iUjJEtcXI0
youtube.com/watch?v=MG5EzU2EZ5o
youtube.com/watch?v=GKlpKDwZ9Mo
youtube.com/watch?v=8ENmrNA6ifc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There was an attempt, OP.

What's the best castlevania game? I've never played one and want to start.

There isn't a consensus and this very question will probably just create shitposting.

Try the original, IV, and Symphony of the Night. The first is a good indicator of the general Classicvania style, IV is an interesting game that has the basic classic style but is nevertheless rather different from the rest, and Symphony of the Night will tell you whether you'll like the Metroidvanias.

The 3D games are all mostly mediocre.

SotN is widely considered the hallmark of the franchise. IV, Rondo of Blood, and Bloodlines are also great from the classic era. The best handheld ones are Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow, as well as Portrait of Ruin. Lament of Innocence is probably the best 3d one but 64 isn't bad either.

What do you have against the original and III?

I don't, I like them in fact. I'm just not necessarily sure they're great for series newcomers since they're kinda casual filters, I've never even finished III to be honest.

I don't post this nearly often enough.

>this very question will probably just create shitposting.
That's how you start a thread senpai.
I'll probably try SotN.
Thanks.

>The 3D games are all mostly mediocre

With the exception of the first Lords of Shadow.

It's good game, but it doesn't really feel like Castlevania since you never fight Dracula or a real vampire lord, and has nothing to do with series lord.

I think it's definitely the best of them but I'm not sure it really rises above mediocrity. It has some cool parts though.
Whether you like SotN or not, try one or two of the Classicvanias at some point. They have a different appeal. I prefer the Classicvanias by far, but YMMV.

>since you never fight Dracula or a real vampire lord
Blatantly lie harder.
You fight many classic Castlevania bosses including 3 important vampires (Carmila, Brauner and Olrox) one of which is literally the main reason (by proxy) why Gabriel becomes Dracula.

Between using a PCE emulator or playing the original port that's unlockable in the PSP remake, which is the best way to experience Rondo of Blood?

PSP

They're both about the same. Do whatever is more convenient.
Yeah. Of all the things to single out, "not being Castlevania enough" is a pretty stupid complaint. It's as Castlevania as any of the other 3D games.

sypha is the best waifu

The 64 3dvania games are okay.
The camera is terrible

youtube.com/watch?v=VaB7t6EUCsg

This was the only thing I liked about Lords of Shadow 2.

Which skellie is your favorite?

I liked all Castle portions, the combat system, the art style and the music.

Just play super castlevania IV. If you like it, keep going from there. The first three games are great but you're not missing out on much by just skipping straight to IV which is definitely the more fine-tuned experience.

If you're interested in the 3D games try lament of innocence first. If you hate it, don't bother with the rest.

In terms of the metroidvania style games play Symphony of the Night first. There are a lot of these, so go with whichever one looks the coolest to you.

Castlevania Judgment a shit but it's a lot of fun with pals.

>The first three games are great but you're not missing out on much by just skipping straight to IV which is definitely the more fine-tuned experience.
I prefer the original and III by far. IV doesn't operate on a completely different rule book but there are enough significant differences that I don't at all think IV superseded them. I certainly wouldn't call IV a more fine-tuned experience.

>chromatic aberration
why?

>I've never even finished III to be honest.
You ought to.

lords of shadow 2 is better

Only in graphics and gameplay.
Story, music and level design (and game length) are all much better in LoS1.

when you play the game did anyone else notice how tiny leons head is its tiny he has a tiny head

>play Castlevania 3
>get my ass handed to me
>play the jap version because it's easier and has better music
>still get my ass handed to me
FUCK

im sorry user, im pretty aware of the faults of lords of shadows 2: the boring present day sections, the bulshit rat sections...etc
but, just the castle alone is a lot better than all of lord of shadows 1, the bosses are pretty good too. just like the music, i like the music in the first lords of shadows, but the music in the secuel is better. the voice acting is a lot better too.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Do you have problems with the original too?

I first saw this image years ago and forgot about it. But then last year I heard the line from the actual game, instantly remembered it and started giggling.

Reminder that our Lord and Master, Count Dracula, is born this year.

The best castlevania game is... castlevania rebirth.

youtube.com/watch?v=kX_4XPNKfOE

That game was so good. The Konami rebirth games were so amazing, its so weird they just released them on the wii ware.

why do people like the classic style castlevanias when ghost n goblins is superior in every way except music

Castlevania is just a more interesting series to me at its core. I don't hate Ghosts 'n Goblins.
I don't think it's the best but it's pretty great.

two completly different games

WELCOME!

ghosts n goblins level design is much more boring

I liked the 3ds game. Mirror of truth?
Feels however like Im the only one

Mirror of Fate.

I don't love it -- the game is kind of a mess -- but there are things about it I admire.

I like both.
What now?

Ghost n Goblins has genuinely bad level design in my opinion and the whole 1 hit destroys your armor and then touch of death bullshit is just not fun to play. Worse and art style too, cartoony like a western cartoon.

youtube.com/watch?v=9iUjJEtcXI0

I remember being like 13 and thinking this was the deepest, most moving shit on the planet.

Music is still awesome though... both the cinematic and boss fight. Fuck it, at 31 it's still awesome.

I liked it, even if it's far from great. It clearly had love and effort put into it, but the fact it was literally the first ever videogame project of a small team of 12 university graduates really shows.

I also liked it. It's a one-time play, but still a decent game.

>It's a one-time play
I played it 3 times.
Once on 3DS.
Second on PS3 when the HD version came out (for that stable framerate and sharper visuals).
Third on PC which had 60 FPS and further improved visuals, including brand new lighting system.
I actually prefer the 3DS/PS3 version lighting in the end though.
I think the ending really hits like a truck and gives you feels.

Oh and still bought it only once, on 3DS.
Pirated PS3 version and PC version came for free with LoS2 on release day.

The PS2 3DVanias were good outside the maze level design

I'll defend Curse of Darkness too.

Also, does anybody know what went wrong with Lords of Shadow 2 development? I heard the producer and the director fucked it up (on purpose the first, and because of his ego the second), and as it was just before Konami left AAA videogames I think there is a nice story behind it.

What Lament of Innocence lacks in polish it makes up for in charm. Fuck Lords of Shadow for being boring as fuck and retconing Alucard and Trevor into the same character. And to think I thought I didn't care about the lore behind games where all you did was whip the shit out of skeletons and jump in an unbreakable arch.

Outside of the corridor to Death and Dracula's first form, CV didn't give me too much trouble. Its difficulty felt just right
>What exactly are you having trouble with?
The autoscroller climb to the boss in the same level with the room where you must wait for the blocks to fall to reach the letter up to advance

What are the top 3 Castlevania games?
How about top 3 Metroidvania?

>retconing
Lords of Shadow is its own story in its own continuity. I don't see what the big deal is with Alucard and Trevor being the same, though, given Lords of Shadow's story.
In the caverns? That part is pretty rough and easily my least favorite in the game. You might consider starting over and trying a different route if you can't get past it.

Which is the best version of SotN: the original, the one with the revised script and voice acting in Dracula X Chronicles or the Japanese version with the translation patch?

Holy shit kek

Long story short, LoS1 had three "real" creators.
Eric Alvarez, the owner of MercurySteam (the dev studio) who was directing the game.
David Cox, Konami's European branch head who served as the producer for the game, with an actual hands on role and a lot of good input, he helped with Contra games as well including Contra 4.
And finally Hideo Kojima, who served as consultant for the game and was responsible for a lot of changes made during development such as making the protagonist less barbaric and more heroic as well as making the story not your typical CV1 retelling but rather a more grand origin story instead.

Fast forward to LoS2, Kojima wasn't involved at all since he was too busy with MGR and MGS5.
Eric Alvarez and his head honchos in the company decided they're hot shit and don't need no help from Konami and there was an internal power struggle between them and David Cox and Konami Europe in general.
Apparently Cox had basically next to nothing to do with the game other than being the "PR guy".
Alvarez didn't let the talent inside the dev studio any freedom and started overriding all the decisions of creative leads and such, causing quite literally half the company to basically quit during development due to all their ideas and work they did being thrown in the trash so Alvarez can insert his fanfiction instead.
Due to all the bullshit Alvarez put and the dev studio being undermanned from so many people leaving, the game was basically in no shape to be finished for release.
The people left at the company were working on crunch to just get all the pieces from cutting room floor and assemble a game from what they had, and the result is LoS2 as we know it.
Oh and the reason why the art goes to shit in the game is because the lead artist who was responsible for all the great level design and locales in LoS1 and most of the castle parts in LoS2, quit halfway through development due to Alavarez's bullshit.

LoS didn't retcon anything user, it's its own separate spinoff continuity. You're a memeing retard that doesn't even know jack shit about the games and probably parroting Sup Forums memes from other people that didn't even play the games.

Personally I prefer the PSP one the most. It has dual audio too.

Does any one have the pic that shows all the technical stats of each GBA/DS Castlevania game compared to SotN? It showed pixel, sound quality, map size, etc.

What a shame.

I want to play this but fuck the Wii.

You know Sup Forums. Been thinking do you know what would be the ultimate "Fuck you" to Castlevania fans? Aside from what Konami naturally does.

That the team at Capcom behind Devil May Cry 4 makes a Castlevania game where Dante fights all the famous monsters across history, you got your Dracula, Mummy, Medusa, etc. Basically a figurative statement by Capcom telling Konami:

"This is how 3D Castlevania should be done."

Would you play it? Now this is the part where fanboys say it's a rip off of Castlevania except that all those monsters are Public Domain.

>3D Castlevania should be DMC with horror monsters
No thanks, sugarpup.

The second one is better, imo.

>DoS Soma in a decent artstyle
FUCK

See

Great Simon redesign and bosses. Decent game. Should've been a Metroidvania.

It's Ayami Kojima's artwork from Harmony of Despair, the PS360 online game.

I actually prefer LoS 2's story and level design.

I never played the full game because the camera was too zoomed out, even on the closest setting.

the fucking physics are terrible

>I actually prefer LoS 2's story and level design
Neck yourself, literally.
LoS2 castle levels are okay, but modern day city which is 70% of the game is utter fucking trash.
And the story is abysmal.

>okay
They're fantastic.

I meant okay in that they're fine and I can understand liking them, but fuck everything about the modern day portions and the story. Even the fucking Belmont fight was a major disappointment (and I actually played Dont Wait Until the Night+Heart of Fire in Foobar during that fight to pump myself up).

While I was disappointed with the Belmont fight and his character altogether, I still enjoyed the story.

The modern day Belmont even had an awful character design.

Mirror of Fate had a pretty solid story for what it was. LoS2 was a disaster in comparison. Alucard also had a shittier design, for whatever reason.

Alucard looked great in LoS 2.

But LoS2 Alucard design is literally the same as MoF, just higher quality model. Unless you mean the armor he's wearing when pretending to be Patrick Stewart's fuccboi.

>PoR
>DoS
>No Order of Ecclesia or Circle of the Moon

GAY

OoE is shit. It only gets attention because the main character is female.

Even that is fixed by the DLC.

He seemed a little spookier looking in Mirror of Fate. It might also be that I thought Trevor's character model was more interesting than LoS2's somewhat more generic fujoshi-schlicking accessible face.

Are Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance worth playing?

I loved it, and I fucking hated Legends and PoR, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Circle of the Moon is, definitely. HoD is less so, but I enjoyed it.

>Circle of the Moon
Yes. It's a damn good game.

>Harmony of Dissonance
The music is ass and it's basically a watered down version of SotN.

The levels/areas are shit. A lot of them are just vertical or horizontal paths.

Lament of Innocence lack some idea for the gameplay but still feel like a real castlevania also the ost is goat, never liked los beat em up don't work on castlevania

>They're just vertical/horizontal
You mean like the original games? Yes, it was much like those, but with even better enemy placement more often than not and a surprising amount of variety.

Not every game has to be fucking Metroid.

The game is a Metroidvania in every way but the level design, which makes the whole game awkward.

>Yes, it was much like those, but with even better enemy placement more often than not and a surprising amount of variety.
If only. I found OoE pretty boring most of the time.

"Metroidvania" is entirely the level design.
There's plenty of other games like OOE. Fuck, the Wonder Boy series is arguably a precursor to that. You're hating it for not being exactly the same as the other games instead of for what it is. Leveling mechanics is no more awkward in a linear game than it is in a game with a "huge map" that you're guided through linearly for most of the game. Fuck, they even give you a big ol castle at the end just to satisfy people like you.

>The music is ass

I will defend HoD's music the the fucking grave and I don't care if I'm the only one

youtube.com/watch?v=MG5EzU2EZ5o

youtube.com/watch?v=GKlpKDwZ9Mo

youtube.com/watch?v=8ENmrNA6ifc

The compositions are great and all the complaints of sound quality make me feel like most people who played HoD have never touched a gen below fourth.

Seconding this.

I would really like to see how the "innovations" and lessons learned of the portables stack up to the reigning king of console metroivanias.

Original Audio is best. Ironically translated and directed by the guy everyone loves for translating Metal gear solid.
He elevated the animu babble of the original.
>ENOUGH TALK! HAVE AT YOU!
Is infinitely more amazing than whatever naruto garbage they went with in the remade Version.

Konami. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. Konami. PlayStation Portable. (in English). (October 23, 2007)

(Richter Belmont arrives in Dracula's chamber)
Richter: Dracula. Die now, and leave this world! You'll never belong here!
Dracula: Oh, but this world invited me. Your own kind called me forth with praise and tribute.
Richter: Tribute? You're a thief. You steal men's souls, their freedom...
Dracula: Freedom is always sacrificed to faith, good hunter. Or are you truly here by choice?
Richter: All I'm here for is you. To hell with your heresy! You're nothing but a blight on mankind.
Dracula: Ha! Mankind. A cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!

Skeleton Frisky

yeah that's not mediocre, that's just shit

Konami. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Konami. PlayStation. (in English). (October 2, 1997)

(Richter Belmont arrives in Dracula's chamber)
Richter Belmont: Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!
Dracula: It was not by my hand that I'm once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter Belmont: Tribute?! You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Richter Belmont: Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
Dracula: What is a man? (flings his wine glass aside) A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk! Have at you

Skeleton Frisky