I'm about to start Underrail for the first time

I'm about to start Underrail for the first time.

Any tips?

Underrail thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2791.0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't die.

How?

>Any tips?
Don't spread yourself too thin. Nearly any build can work, but you need to specialize in some type of combat ability and max it every level. If you're psi you might find this pic useful.

Did a bunch of people get Underrail because of yesterday's thread or something?

Two threads are on Sup Forums about Underrail right now, and they're both the exact same.

There was an update recently. Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

i actually bought it last year but haven't had the urge to play it until yesterday's thread

be prepared to never finish the game because you'll always reach a point where you feel like youve fucked up your skills and have to start over

Don't srpead yourself to thin, choose 8 skills and max them every level. At least on your 1st run, alter when you have more experience with the game you can try to take more.

Crafting is very strong in Underrail.

Lockpicking/hacking is very convenient.

Persuasion lets you resolve some quests in optimal way and get the best endings.

Intimidate is les useful for talking but can be used in combat with the Yell feat.

Mercantile is pretty much the onyl useless skill as you will be swimming in money anyways. Devs are trying to fix it but it's still bad.

In terms of power, I would rank builds more or less like this:

Pure psi>psi monk>sniper>assault rifle>unarmed>sledgehammer>SMG>crossbow>energy pistol>knife>pistol>chemical pistol

Where anything from sniper to psi is OP if build and played correctly, and everyhing from chemical pistol to crossbow might struggle in the late game (maybe except the energy pistol).

What said. The key is simply to specialize in something combat related. You max the related attribute, you max the combat skill in question, and you pick the related feats. That's all, as long as you do this you can't go too wrong.

Pick 8 skills at the start you want to level, and max those. Adjust later, as you have a better grasp on the system. Skim the feat list, and try to see what sounds interesting to you. Think about what you would like to do, how you want to play the game. Do you enjoy watching enemy patrols and stealthing through corridors? Does creating entire mine field and luring your enemies into it sounds like something you'd enjoy doing? Do you enjoy playing chess master in combat, or you'd rather just simply nuke everything to hell?

>tfw I realized I enjoyed taking a sledgehammer to everyone's face, but my build for using the weapon sucks

I don't know why I always try guns in these games. I never like them. I think I just try to "plan ahead" for when guns become bearable, but I always crap out before ever getting there.

>Make my own thread ten minutes before OP
>His thread gets more replies

>tfw no shotguns

New player here.

I'm thinking of going Sniper with lockpicking and hacking. Is this recommended and pretty easy?

Hey which thing am I not supposed to do if I don't want to go psi? I remember playing the demo ages ago and when I talked to someone about psi a bunch of my skills got fucked

I don't think it matters which thread lives, but it would be better to have just one. You could migrate your posts over if this is the one that stays.

i just made my first character, went with 15 in evasion,dodge,melee,sneak,lockpick at least. i think i also had like hacking and electronics. am i fucked?

Let yours die, user. It is better this way.

You really underrate chem pistol. It isnt your main source of killing power, you couple it with a plasma pistol and use the chem for control, lighting people on fire or bogging them down in acid.

If you don't want to psi, you just simply don't swallow the red pill the med guy gives you. That is all. If you do, it'll give a permanent malus to your HP.

Oh well I guess so. At least my OP had content instead of just "new player, tips?"

Ah that's what I was trying to remember. Thanks bud.

Not at all. Why would you be?

Oh boy, what a captcha. He is watching us.

>merchants take 90 minutes to refresh their inventory

>they won't buy any guns

my inventory is filled with guns holy shit just buy them already!

I'll post my build suggestion in this thread for you then: thought control sniper. I really like the thought control psi skill and the stealth gameplay so I combined them. It's a lot of fun using abilites like Bilocation, Neurovisual Disruption and Mental Breakdown + anything. I also pump up Psychokinesis for Force Field and Psychokinetic Imprint. Combat is basically switching between your psi abilites and sniper rifle/feats for maximum fuckery and damage.

forgot to say that i had 15 in traps as well.
feats: hit&run and pack rathound.

dunno, i remember someone complaining that underrail really screws if you do one miss-step on the build

I wonder who could be behind this post

dont worry about min/maxing just play the game. Pick one line of combat (guns, melee, Psi) and pump that every level. Pick biology/chemistry to craft healing items and hack/lockpick for loots.
Those are the safest bets

I want to play this but I think I´ll wait for the expansion, don´t have much time to spend on videogames and I won´t have time to do a second run on it
does anybody knows when they will release that?

wait, is it possible to raise stats later in the game? just noticed that i only have 5 str and sledgehammer requires like 8

>Is this recommended and pretty easy?
"Easy" might be a stretch, you will still struggle until you learn the game. But later in the game you will be able to one shot literally everything twice every turn.

You might want to read my guide, look for the wall of text:

underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2791.0

You should be fine, but what's your weapon of choice? Generally you want to take a crafting skill that allows you to craft your weapon of choice.

That would be a energy/chem build though, not pure chem.

I'm not even saying they are bad, but they are definetly weak compared to everything else. You can see I ranked pistols as almost as bad but I actually finished the game with a non-crit pistol build without much problem.

It's not that they are weak, they are relatively weak compared to all other options.

It will take you some time before you get your first rifle, but otherwise sure, go for it.

Since already posted the guide, have this pic as the addendum.

Maybe it's time to start pickiing up only those guns that have the best weight/value ratio?

i think you get one stat point every five levels? not sure but I def got a stat point to use when I leveled up once.

>does anybody knows when they will release that?
Not even the devs know. Styg said "early 2017".

Which means probably before the end of 2017, most likely before the end of 2018, and almost certainly in our lifetime.

So dump dex and con, then whats the spread? Did you ever find ineffectual with the more spread stats youll need? A little but of strength for the sniper, a little agility for stealth, high perception and will and then not totally dumping intelligence for psi pool.

You get a stat point every 4 levels. Which means it'll take you 12 levels to raise it up to 8. However in the meantime you could just buy a bunch of barbecues for a temporary +1 bonus that lasts for 20 minutes. Also, you can use the sledgehammer with less strength, but it'll give you some penalties.

1 point every 4 levels, 6 by the level 24.

Dont go sniper without stealth

Persuasion, intimidation, or mercantile?

No, that's not true. You have to make a whole series of mistakes to get fucked. You have plenty of room to make mistakes with your build, what the game punishes more seriously is being bad at playing what you made.

Persuasion if you are a psi.

I made a stealth psi trap build.
I lay a shitload of traps then shoot a fireball near them, and the the enemies go to investigate and blow themselves to pieces.

no clue, some sort of melee weapon.
ok good, i can get me some str to use more melee weapons then.
ok good

How long is this game?

Depot A was so hard and stressful that Im still burnt out

Persuasion allows you to resovle quests in optimal ways and get the best endings.

Intimidation allows you to finish some quests more easily and can be used in combat with the Yell feat to decrease enemy hit chance.

Mercantile can be used to earn more money, but you will be swimming in money anyways. Recently it also allows to gain access to better quality stuff from traders, but it's neglible.

So overall: Persuasion is nice, even if you have 3 WILL. Intimidation is underwhelming, but can be useful. Mercantile is useless.

Depends on your playstyle. It's usually somewhere between 60-120 hours for new players.

>no clue, some sort of melee weapon
In that case I reccomend you take mechanics and electronics. That way you will be able to craft top tier knives/hammers with shock modules that deal bonus electricity damage.

Sounds fun. Have you ever got a non-hostile NPC killed by accident?

>e-pistols
>struggling late game
nigga fuck are you smoking?
they are shit on early and mid game but after level 14/16 they get absurdely strong

i'm taling about 5k crits
i'm talking about 1-shot the last boss
i'm talking about electroshock pistols doing 3k->2k->1k damage in 3 targets killing them instantly, and if you don't crit you at least stunned 1~3 guys

e-pistols are fucking amazing

Re-read the post again.

>(maybe except the energy pistol)

>tfw adamantly choose Mercantile anyway because Im a terrible penny pincher go full autism during bartering
Feels jewish man

get acid resist armor. even with just an extra 5% it makes a huge difference.

Well, hopefully they wil leventually make it worth it. Better quality stuff from traders is a step in the right direction, but still not worth all the points. There will be some trading feats in the expansion, too.

In those situations I stick to bear traps

>Played a stealth pistolman
Is that why I hate Underrail and always put at least one shitpost in every Underrail thread and downvoted the game on Steam and autistically screech about it every time it's mentioned? 'cause HOLY H*CK user.

The upside to that is with the new special merchandise thing it might allow you to save a bit on crafting. It won't give you as good results, but MK IV-V gear is still MK IV-V gear, and you might be able to get your hands on shit like electroshock pistols even without Electronics.

Don't loot the first desk you will see at the start, turns out that you're not allowed to look without looting and they will shoot your ass.

Probably. It's not like stealth pistol is impossible, but it definitely isn't newbie-friendly. My condolences, user.

I played a stealthy non-crit pistolman as well, but that like my 5th run.

Pistols are not really good at being the main weapon, their damage is pretty underwhelming compared to other options. It's best used as a sidearm.

Pretty much only neat thing dedicated pistols builds have is that they can reach ridiculous initative values, since they stack a lot of DEX, usualyl should have at least 6 AGI and you get +7 initative from gunslinger. Add paranoia and you can reach like 45 initative, enough to act first even if you leave the map mid combat and re-enter with the initative penalty.

>So dump dex and con, then whats the spread?
I usually start with:
>Strength 5
>Dexterity 3
>Agility 6
>Con 3
>Perception 10
>Willpower 8
>Intelligence 5
I pump Intelligence up to 7 first for skill points/crafting (Junkyard Surprise is your best friend for crafting), and then the rest of the attribute points go into Willpower to get it to 12.

>Did you ever find ineffectual with the more spread stats youll need?
Nah, you just have to play smart and try to use everything available to you. With items like the Huxkey, Jacknife and Junkyard Surprise you can easily make up for attribute points and skill points.

>i'm taling about 5k crits
>i'm talking about 1-shot the last boss
Only on crit executions, which is not reliable and pretty much requires savescumming to pull off.

oh fug i'm retarded

Pic related is a really nice character creation tool.

but it still happens frequently on a full crit build

I'm playing a tank character, which is the preferred armor to go with? And what are the best variants to craft?

Oh and in case folks aren't aware there's a really nice character planner available:
underrail dot info dot tm
Just replace the dots with periods of course. Stupid spam filter.

Yeah, but it's usually overkill. A regular execution will usually kill everything except Tchort anyways.

>I'm playing a tank character, which is the preferred armor to go with?
Metal. Take armor slopping feat if you want less armor penalty. Also Juggernaut for even more HP if your armor has 50% penalty or more.

>And what are the best variants to craft?
Super Steel metal armor reinforced with 3 super steel metal plates and a regen/sturdy vest.

Sturdy gives flat HP bonus, which is good for surviving bigger hits. Regen regens some health every turn when you are below 70% health and can do it 10 times before running out of energy, so it will give you more HP overall in long fights.

>

Refrences.

I thought the easter eggs were really well done.

What are the best assault rifles?

N16

7.62 Hornet with rapid reloader and smart module/muzzle is best general purpose.

8.6 Chimera with rapid reloader and anatomically aware scope and critcal power feat has really high crit damage, it works really well as a DMR kind of rifle- good at both long and close range, worse than sniper rifle at long range and worse than Hornet at lcose range.

What the hell.

Epeli put more points into his web page crafting skils.

I got in to the game a bit, I killed the rat king or whatever and got to Citytown USA or whatever the big hub was called, but I eventually got sick of it because every encounter ended up being setting up a big line of traps and then stealthing and pistoling while luring people into them. Which would have been cool if the game didn't have so fucking much combat, but by the time I reached that point I just wanted to be done.

Click Build, silly.

But why did he make the mutagen solver available to the public?

>I killed the rat king

RIP Carnifex

Why not? You are free to spoil yourself if you don't enjoy the puzzle/are too dumb to solve it but your build is too weak to beat Tchort without it.

>not working for him just to doublecross him
>now weaking his outfit on your unarmed meele build

Come on now.

>wearing rathound king regalia
It's only acceptable if you don't want to deal with rathounds.

Otherwise, have fun burning to death. Infused cave hooper leather armor does everything regalia do (except the +1 STR) better.

But... but... but... okay, I don't really have a counter-argument to that. But it doesn't feel right.

Also, with all dem yellow hexagons for a second I thought I accidentally entered some modern Deus Ex fansite.

>except the +1 STR

Which is quite nice on a unarmed build.
Also you won't have access to infused leather for quite some time while you can kill the rathound king quite early.

>But... but... but... okay, I don't really have a counter-argument to that. But it doesn't feel right.
I don't use it myself either. I guess Epeli decided to add it because a lot of people thought there is no solution and just gave up.

>Also, with all dem yellow hexagons for a second I thought I accidentally entered some modern Deus Ex fansite
I actually thought it's some kind of witcher build tool because of the mutagens icon. Doesn't really fit Underrail all that much, Underrail is all about bars.

You cant burn what you cant find.

>Which is quite nice on a unarmed build.
Not really. Unarmed builds are all about DEX. They have literally no use for STR unless you reach more than 5/7, but those point would be better spent on DEX instead.

>Also you won't have access to infused leather for quite some time while you can kill the rathound king quite early.
Fair enough.

Hiding won't save you in the arena.

>inb4 flashbangs
Flashbangs won't save you from Carnifex, at least not reliably.

>This frontpage is served with less than 5 kB data transferred total. The character build calculator serves all of its code/data, 4 fonts and hundreds of icons in less than 127 kB transferred. For comparison, the average page load (in 2016) is over 2.5 MB. Simple websites don't need to be bloated!
I like this guy.

Thoughts on build?

>I guess Epeli decided to add it because a lot of people thought there is no solution and just gave up.

And now they'll just complain about the tool being broken. Do you think someone who can't solve the puzzle will manage to type 16 sequences in without making typos?

Well, anyway, he knows what's best. And it'll be him who'll have to solve all those puzzles anyway, so maybe it's worth it for the few people who'll get it right on their own.

>Nearly any build can work
Not even close to true.

>Simple websites don't need to be bloated!

Christ, this. Most websites end up freezing my browser half the time because they're doing all sorts of random shit each time I click a new page.

>being this bad

>impying

I finsihed the game with a pacifist build that fought about half a dozen times in the whole game. I didn't pick a single offensive skill except for enough points into traps to set MK V mines, but traps count as subterfurge.

So yeah, if you can finish the game with a build that has no fighting skills whatsoever, you can do it with any that isn't gimped on purpose.

I don't reccomend playing as a pacifist though, definetly not intended and tedious as fuck. But it was a nice challange.

He said nearly any build can work as long as you pick a combat skill and max it. Which is true, with maybe the exception of a Traps-only build. But probably even that can survive somehow, if even the Stealth-only build user played managed to pull through. Throwing-only works, there was an user who did a run with a build like that.

Remembering the mutagen puzzle is exactly what i needed this late at night. Jesus christ i even made an excel sheet

The exploder dude did give me trouble but I just kited him with poison.