Looking for some new games. Anyone care to make a couple of recommendations...

Looking for some new games. Anyone care to make a couple of recommendations? I particularly like 'cult' games with unique mechanics.

Also, 3x3 thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aqmeQ0Ya4G8
youtube.com/watch?v=tnDPWPstTH0&t=40s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I particularly like 'cult' games with unique mechanics
That's pretty vague. Any genre preferences, or what?

>an unironic hipster
Even /vr/ would make fun of you for that spread.

Not him, but what's wrong with Bulk Slash, Umihara Kawase Shun, Twinkle Star Sprites, or Panorama Cotton?

Well, my absolute favorites are short, fast-paced arcadey games that just... do things you don't see in other games. El Viento is a good example of this. It's a super-low budget platformer on the genesis, that as a result ends up doing lots of cool things like having you fight a giant fucking octopus that takes up the entire screen, but is clearly just a rescaled, much smaller sprite. While riding on top of a dolphin,

Look at this fucking thing.

Or take Lifeline. I won't deny its problems, but I love how creative it is overall, both as a conversation game, and a survival horror game. I really enjoyed getting to know Rio by literally talking to her throughout the space station. Lots of very unique puzzles as a result, too.

Not him, but while I think the games are fine
>I particularly like 'cult' games
Liking things because they have cult followings is pretty 'hipster' in my book.

And I guess one thing I'm into right now are arcadey third person shooters in particular. I really liked Gunvalkyrie, Gungrave, Gungage, EDF, Sin & Punishment (not really TPS but amazing), Bullet Witch, etc. I think being beatable in an hour or so is the perfect amount of time to have for an action-packed TPS, so the game can just keep throwing new stuff and explosions at you.

I didn't mean that I like them because they have cult followings. That's really just more coincidental, if anything. I just think it's the easiest way to describe them.

I think it's more that "cult" games usually have cult status because of elements in games he likes to see, such as unique mechanics that were not appreciated or did not lead to sales when they released.

>arcadey third person shooters
Have you played Ghost in the Shell for PS1?
Love & Destroy, maybe?

Love & Destroy is one of my favorite games ever. Everything about it is beautiful. I'll have to go play Ghost in the Shell, thanks.

Given that you're posting these ironically, it sounds like you have pretty good taste. I recommend Robot Alchemic Drive for a somewhat free-form actionish RPGish mech game with the best story you'll ever find in a game.

youtube.com/watch?v=aqmeQ0Ya4G8

Maybe. If someone says they care a lot about innovative aspects of video games and they are more forgiving than most if a game is a bit rough around the edges, many of the recommendations they receive will be 'cult games' . But specifically asking for 'cult games' narrows the selection further to the games that will obtain hipster cred. And there will be plenty of other games mixed in that have 'cult' status for other reasons such as rarity.

I realize that this doesn't matter at all but whatever. I personally can't really think of anything worth recommending since I have very different taste in games. Have a nice day.

Us gamers for the win! Xd&+

name of those games?

From top-left to bottom-right:
Napple Tale
Sengoku Turb
Bulk Slash
Twinkle Star Sprites
Lifeline
Panorama Cotton
Umihara Kawase Shun
Lady Stalker
El Viento.

I'll keep that in mind for next time, since that's closer to what I wanted to say.

Go play Macross.

youtube.com/watch?v=tnDPWPstTH0&t=40s

Do you know how the new vita game is? It looks really cool.

Is RE7 really that bad?

Holy shit, first time I saw El Viento on Sup Forums, great taste my man. As for recs, here's some lesser known titles:
>General Chaos
>Decap Attack
>Rolo to the Rescue
>Clockwork Knight 1 and 2
>The Adventure of Little Ralph

>tfw sold my copies of Clockwork Knight, Astal, and General Chaos without getting a chance to play them because I needed money for a plane ticket
Thanks for the recs though. Little Ralph is great, and I've never heard of Rolo to the Rescue.

6/8. Really solid taste there. What's the game in the middle left?

>The Adventure of Little Ralph
Amazing game. One of the best action platfomers out there.

Gekibo Gekisha Boy (TG-16)
Uo Poko
Boogie Wings
The Outfoxies
Aqua Jack
Space Shadow
Tsuppari Oozumou (3 games on NES, TG-16, and SNES)
BreakThru!
Taisen Puzzle-Dama (series, any of them)
Wild Guns
Sin & Punishment (both of them)
EVERYTHING by ABA Games (these are freeware, download them NOW)
Rampart (Japanese NES had a total remake of this, which is worth playing in addition to the original)
Battle Pinball
Alien Crush
Devil Crush
Jaki Crush
Marble Madness
Bit.Trip Complete
Tempest 2000
Pu-Li-Ru-La
Magical Drop (series)
Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu
Nekketsu Street Basket - Ganbare Dunk Heroes
Super Dodge Ball (NES)
LSD
M.U.L.E.
Tower Dream (SNES)
Zen-Nippon Pro Wrestling - Fight da Pon!
Shounen Ninja Sasuke
Zombie Revenge
Giga Wing
Mars Matrix
Clock Tower (SNES)
Famicom Tantei Club Part II (SNES)
Portopia Serial Murder Case (NES)
The Wall Street Kid
Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure (Japanese version)
Ball Bullet Gun
Bomberman B-Daman
Super B-Daman
Chaos Seed - Fuusui Kairoki
The Firemen
Brave Firefighters
Magical Truck Adventure
Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun
Gimmick!
The Guardian Legend
Otocky
Snake Rattle'n Roll
Splatter House - Wanpaku Graffiti
Summer Carnival '92 - Recca
Vegas Dream
The Blue Marlin
Densha de GO! (series)
Jet de GO! (series)
Tokyo Bus Guide
Power Shovel
The Grid
Jambo! Safari
Landmaker
Burning Rangers
SOS (SNES)
The First Funky Fighter
Ganbare Neo Poke-kun
Go! Go! Mile Smile
Mad Panic Coaster
Moai-kun
Mischief Makers
Snacks'N Jaxson
Bonanza Bros.
Bangai-O
Silhouette Mirage
Cannon Spike
Chaos Heat
Vendetta (arcade)
Dead Connection
Elevator Action Returns
Lucky & Wild
Nitro Ball

nothing hipster about his list whatsoever

No problem, and I'm glad you found out about at least one new game.

Action platformer? I'd call it a 2D platformer. Also the game has occasional 2D fighting segments which are great.

>I'd call it a 2D platformer.
I dunno, there's a decent amount of slapping enemies around with swords.
But I'd call Ninja Gaiden and Shatterhand and the like action platformers.

3/5, I'll have to look up some of these other ones.

>Summer Carnival 92 Recca (Favorite shmup of all time. praise YGW)
>S&P (although I really dislike the second one)
>Pu-li-ru-la (I'm making an alicia dragoon-style platforming auto-targeting shooting game where you turn enemies into fluffy creatures in tribute to this and purikura daisakusen called PURIMURA)
>Magical Truck Adventure (ever play the PS1 game love love truck?)
>Guardian Legend (huge compile fanboy)
>Cannon Spike (Fuck yeah)
>Elevator Action Returns (extra points for choosing returns, this game is amazing)
>Chaos Heat (I played this when I was in Japan, does it work in MAME?)
>Mad Panic Coaster (This game is insane)
>LSD (Osamu makes a bunch of cool stuff. I've played it all, but this is my favorite)
>Crush series (Best pinball games out there)
>Wild Guns (2nd only to S&P)
>Clock Tower (A+)
>Magical Drop (Why did the wii collection have spanish voices)
>Takumi shooters (Getting to full power on st1 of mars matrix changes everything)
Man, that is a lot of really fucking good games. There's a ton of stuff I've never heard of in here, so I'm gonna save this list and check them out one by one. Seriously, thanks a ton, this list is great.

Middle left is A Game with a Kitty 2. Old freeware game I found in 2008.

>S&P (although I really dislike the second one)
Oh yeah? I thought it was inferior to the first in basically every way and most sections dragged on a bit too long, but it was still one of the best games of 7th gen for me.

>I'm making an alicia dragoon-style platforming auto-targeting shooting game where you turn enemies into fluffy creatures in tribute to this and purikura daisakusen called PURIMURA
I'll go ahead and recommend Psychic Killer Taromaru then. It's got auto-targeting sort of similar to Alicia Dragoon except in an Alien Soldier-like boss rush game.

>Wild Guns (2nd only to S&P)
Be sure to try Wild Guns Reloaded if you haven't yet.

And I can vouch for these if you haven't played any of them:
>Boogie Wings
>The Outfoxies
>Gimmick!
>Bangai-O
>Silhouette Mirage
>The Firemen
>Dead Connection
>Lucky & Wild

If you have any issues with figuring out how to play any of those games just start a thread on /vr/ and we'll walk you through it.

>my absolute favorites are short, fast-paced arcadey games

Check out arcade games from Irem (before their A-team left for Nazca/SNK - most of their stuff is really good too) and Seibu Kaihatsu.

Also there are lots of really cool arcade games from big developers that never got much attention, like Capcom's Willow (completely different from NES version - plays like Megaman X/Ghosts n Goblins)

I think my problem with S&P2 is that I had to compare it to the first one. The best part of the first game was the pacing. But by the time you've killed like 12 bosses, drowned tokyo in blood, offed the main character and switched to a giant monster to fight another monster in said sea of blood in S&P1, you're barely finishing the fucking tutorial in S&P2. Not only was everything too long and repetitive, but I actually felt that the game was unfair. Like, I felt that whenever I died or was hit, it wasn't my fault. And they replaced the amazing boss milking with a literal checklist of things to do for secret points. If the first game didn't exist, I'm sure I would have loved it despite its flaws. But man, so much of it was just not good.

I sure wish Taromaru wasn't fucking $500. I should figure out how to play pirated games on my Saturn.

>Wild Guns Reloaded
Is there a sequel to Wild Guns? How did I not know this? Gonna go look it up asap.

Never heard of Dead Connection, but that name is cool enough I'll have to check it out on that alone.

Appreciated. I go to /vr/ every now and then for Umihara Kawase and PC98 threads, people are pretty cool down there.

I really like that IREM shooting game where you play as a witch that can throw her broom. What's that called, Magical Adventure or something? Good stuff. I'm not a big fan of R-type, though. Any particular recommendations? As for Seibu Kaihatsu, I really couldn't get into Raiden until the RFA series. Any specific games from them?

6/7. I kind of wish I liked the Tales series, because so much of the old wolfteam staff is involved with it. Granted, I played Symphonia instead of Vesperia. Couldn't stand it.

>Is there a sequel to Wild Guns?

Remake. And by that I mean "enhanced port pleasebuyourgameagain".

Dead Connection is an arena shooter arcade game where you can destroy nearly everything on screen, parts of the stages are interactive, and the dialogue between levels is the most hilariously over-the-top noir writing you will ever see + engrish. It's also "The Untouchables: The Game" except without an official license.