About to play pic related for the first time

About to play pic related for the first time.

What's the best class for a beginner?

nigger

Warrior or Knight is best.

Bandit if you only want to hit stuff.

Pyromancer if you want to mix spells into your playthrough.

Resistence

Go for Knight. It's the best starter class.

probably pyromancer

fire spells are pretty hard hitting in dark souls 1

Pretty much this. I recommend shield and either sword or spear/halbred. 2 STR/2 VIT/1 END build and DEX up to any weapons you want

no, faggots the best

OK, what's the best gift for a beginner?

Stream it, you gay.

I went with thief because I'm an edgy bloke who likes backstabbing and being /fa/ as fuck in video games.

people are going to say MUH MASTER KEY but surely you're not going to use a guide on your first play through and actually know where to sequence break.

Old Witch's Ring is the right answer

Class doesn't really matter.
In general mainline strength, endurance, and vitality.
Also pick a weapon and keep upgrading it. The upgrade resource is limited so try to minmax that shit a little.
That said there's no telling what weapon you'll prefer until you play some.

Knight

pendant

If you want to use offensive spells get sorcerer, if you want to use melee get any other class. Miracles are mostly defensive unless you fifure out cryptic shit or read a guide.
Upgrade stats until you can equip the weapon you want to use then stop and max resistance so youre unkillable in the lategame

Start as pyromancer with the extra life ring as a gift til you can trade it out. Find the best weapons and shit yourself without a guide

Pendant

if you use a guide to play video games that reward exploration and ingenuity then you've only cheated yourself
thankfully this board is retarded so you won't find any actual help here

MASTER key :DDDDDDD

grow a pair and start making decisions for yourself ffs..

barbarian you fucking retard also pick the life ring

binoculars

OP, choose the opposite of what everyone says

and then again x3

Just make sure to level up resistance or you will not get through Blighttown

Nothing really matters. For a first run, I would avoid the naked guy and the master key, but you can learn any spell and equip any weapon with any class. Just play the game fag

When you get to firelink shrine, go left towards the skellingtons, and continue to do so until you get past them. The other way is impossible to go thru at low levels.

Master key if you're a guide-reading scumbag.
Pendant for true Dark Souls experience.

Lads, I'm fucking terrible at this game but refuse to pay any other Soulsborne games until I finish Dark Souls 1. I can't get any further than a bit way through the Undead Parish without giving up. How do I git gud and not ragequit after an hour?

Get heavy armor and the Zweihander. Farm rats for humanity to kindle all the bonfires if you have to.

You can get equipment to +5 pretty easily in the beginning, and +10 is easy by midgame. So you can experiment with some stuff around those ranges.
Just don't waste chunks (+11 to +14) until you KNOW you like a weapon, OP, because farming for them is a huge pain in the ass, and slabs go without saying. Literally about 3 per playthough unless you're supremely lucky with drops.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Okay, do not listen to these idiots. If you want the best experience then pick the key as your gift and deprived as your class. You can also choose black firebombs as your gift and use them on the asylum demon when you first meet him to get his club for later, but it's shit.

What are you doing? I can understand being bad but not being able to make it through Undead Parish is pushing it.

Classes dont mean shit. Only wear gear enough to maintain fast rolling.

Don't get the Master Key on your first playthrough. You could sequence break and end up skipping entire sections of the game by accident.

What are you having trouble with?

Don't start as a cleric, but immediately put points into faith and pick up some cleric spells from whatsisnuts in the Firelink Shrine.

Heal will help you out a ton. It's too slow to use in combat, but it's a great way to save on Estus when you need to heal in between fights.

if OP is really a beginner, s/he won't get past asylum deamon with a deprived

You can lock on with R3
Shields are useful in this game
Try to get behind the guys and backstab

Take time to kite enemies if you're getting rushed.
No one in this game uses a bow but they are so useful, I pack at least a shortbow on every character I make, unless I have some roleplay reason not to.
Also you can easily dump points into END and VIT to become an unstoppable god.

>nigger
>faggot
don't hear those guys, OP, go cuck

>s/he

Class doesn't really matter. It affects the tutorial area and some min max stuff with stats and thats about it

Stack poise and equip some big fucking sword.

sorry, did I assume wrong

was it xer

or xyr

deprived. club is crazy strong and you can buy a good shield early.

Don't fight the boar. Don't enter the church until you find the blacksmith. Stop using the Hollow Soldier Shield. Take it slow, Dark Souls is a game about patience.

He or kill yourself

Okay, here's some legit tips for you.

Make sure you are not fat rolling. If you are then unequip armour until you aren't and make sure you have as much armour as you can while still mid rolling. But remember that defense doesn't matter if you aren't getting hit in the first place.

If you want to be armoured up then get the heater shield, it blocks physical damage really well and you can hide behind it. It's sold by the male merchant in the undead burg.

You should also buy lots of arrows and a bow from this merchant. You will want them a little later for when you get under the bridge to shoot the dragon's tail off and get the drake sword. Don't rely on that thing too much though, it's good for a bit but upgraded weapons are much better so drop it when you get to the blacksmith.

If you picked deprived or a class with shit armour then just grind at the campfire near the male merchant. If you got the shortcut under the bridge open then you can actually run up there, coax the dragon into breathing fire on the bridge and killing all the hollows there, then run down to the campfire and repeat after resting.

Practice parry and riposte sooner than later. I only picked it up when I got to anor londo and it would have made things much easier, especially blighttown, if I knew it earlier. Rolling/dodging it another thing to practice. Remember that combat is about poking about patterns. Do not just whack at shit like this is DMC, it's not. Learn enemy patterns and attack in the openings they present.

I hope this helps you.

Kill enemies 1 by 1
Get a shield with 100% physical defense
Get drakesword but stop using it after quelaag (fire spider tits boss), then pick a weapon you like and upgrade it constantly, upgrading weapons can seem pricy but gives much more damage than leveling up several times. Falchion if youre dex and zweihander for strength are solid choices

>telling someone to get the drake sword
It's like you want him to be bad

i'm just gonna say that if stealth tumblrites are going to derail this thread with their gender bullshit, it's going to be all your fault

lmao dude why do you care so much?
Does the thought of females existing trigger you?

I know, it's a horrible crutch. But I also told him to stop using it when he gets to the blacksmith like you're supposed to. OP, if you do get the drake sword, keep in mind that the two handed heavy attack special damages it and you wont be able to repair it until the parish.

As class doesn't really matter, pick thief and get witch ring along with master key.

I'm playing it for the first time and can vouch for these.

A couple of things i'd add: as much as getting a polearm and bunker behind your shield to poke at enemies wen they let their guard down might seem appealing, try not to get used to it.
It do works and can be useful at the start to get the gist of things, but won't carry you against thougher enemies.

If you manage to kill them, try your chances with black knights.

When you'll ring the first bell, a NPC will appear. Do yourself a favour and get at least one Curse break stone, just in case.

You WILL miss out on things. Deal with it and make use of what you've stumbled upon - i've disceverd only way later that bosses can drop specific weapons (like said) and still ahd no problem to advance (well, for Souls standards).

Take my advices with a grain of salt as i'm still in the middle (at best) of my own very first DaS run.

It's a JRPG, so there's nothing in the game that can't be overcome by grinding.

It's also an action RPG, so there's nothing in the game that can't be overcome by gitting gud.

Try to find a balance between the two.

Grinding doesn't mean shit if you're shit. "git gud" is a meme because you do need a certain amount of skill, or at least patience, to beat this game. It's not like FF7 where you could literally hold circle and win the game if you grinded enough.

Classes only matter if you wanna minmax for pvp autismo. You can choose sorcerer and go full strenght if you want. Just know weapons have requirements to use, strenght or dex or faith or intelligence, so you needs points in those to use them

Thanks for the help guys, might be able to git gud one day

What am I doing? Being shit

I'm having trouble with ragequitting. I haven't got the patience for 40+ hour game that kicks my shit in at every turn, but I would like to know how to overcome it and the games mechanics

Warrior. Dont take the key for starting gift. Kill the dogs first

play for an hour before sleep.
the next day you'll be better.
DaS isn't a game that you rush it.

Do not listen to this, OP. Grinding will NOT help you accomplish anything. You need to learn how to play properly, once you have mastered how to play you can easily beat the game without leveling at all.

This is bullshit - i'm on my first playthrough of DS and am just past getting the lordvessel. Blighttown is nowhere near as aids as people make out in these threads - jus make sure to have some purple moss and a few blooming purple moss for those toxin sniping shitheads.

Are you playing on PC btw? If you are then get dasfix for sweet 60fps but keep in mind it messes with the length you jump so use backspace to turn it off for jumps like atop of sens fortress and going back to the asylum.

A blind first run of DaS is mostly matter of trial and error.
Figuring out the layout of the area, the moveset of mobs (and your own weapons), where to go and how to tackle bosses, it just work that way.

> get to Capra
> raped by dogs stunlocked in a corner without seeing much
> a couple more tries to roll away from the first assailt and find out stairs
>successfully kill dogs without getting my shit slapped by them or boss itself
> find out can tank one-handed Capra attacks and roll away from 2h

Then becomes just matter ot timing and pulling it off.
But again, figuring it out the first time is the time consuming and frustrating thing.

You can also get the shadow (iirc) set from a corpse there, it has a high poison resist, which do comes handy.
Snipers don't respawn, do just rush them down even if they get to apply toxic to you.

First play through here, only just found out about fat rolling. I did manage to solo the gargoyles as a fat rolling fuck so I'm curious, does anyone ever play a runthrough maxing out their armor like some sort of slow moving terminator?

I did my first run as a tank. I used the black armour set with a tower shield and black knight sword. Sometimes I would switch out of gold rimmed robes or w/e they're called, but only for boss fights where they would break through my tower shield and it was better to dodge.

Once you're gud at dodging with a fastroll then heavy armor just becomes tedious. It's good for learning the game, but most people don't bother with it.

If you get Havel's armor & shield you are nigh on literally a wall.

On my first playthrough atm - got lordvessel and currently cleared new londo ruins about to fight the four kings (tried once but died, wasnt prepared).

Fast roll is great BUT I love the look of ornsteins armor, So i'm rocking that and havels ring with a zweihander and silver knight's shield - I can still midroll so its pretty fun (and look sexy as fuck).

>master key on the first playthrough
Way to ruin the game for yourself.

t. took something shitty like firebombs on my first playthrough despite thinking the master key sounds pretty sweet

>use humanities to kindle bonfires to get 10 flasks on every bonfire
>use whatever weapon you're comfortable with and upgrade it to +5 at andre
>upgrade whatever shield as well
>backstab, backstab and backstab (trivializes enemies and makes the beginning too easy almost)
>get the elite knight set in darkroot garden as it's one of the best early game armors and can carry you to late game.

Don't use the drake sword and don't summon, I believe in you user.

Really that's as much tips I can give early on without saying git gud, but yeah I struggled early on too user. I was fucking dreadful, and it took me like 8 hours to get to the gargoyles.

Stone armor and Wolf's Ring make for an absolutely relentless fucking glacier of a build.

Yeah, I played my first time through in heavy armor as well, still have the character with full Giant's set. But once I started playing without a shield or armor there was no going back.

learn how to parry

this will get you through about 50% of the game on its own.

as others have said, figure out fatrolling vs not fatrolling

My man.
First playthrough here, Knight with Zweihander+elite knight armor who just got Havel's Ring AND Black Knight Halberd (can only use it decently with 2h, gotta build up that STR).

just beat the game recently and also used the zweihander but used Lautrec's armor. Really is a beautiful game.

Yep I used elite knight set up until yesterday when I switched into Ornsteins (and lautrec's favor set for about 20 minutes between looting it after O&S and finding Orns set available to buy).

I got lucky with a black knight greatsword but I don't like it's heavy attack - too much of a slow wind up animation. Zweihander heavy attack flattening enemies through shields is just godlike.

>trolling on the internet

>hasnt even started the game
>already asking for help
just put it down, kid, it's not for you

Did the whole Blighttown-Gaping Dragon thing and cleared the underground ruins of Londo, but i was missing something probably cause i couldn't progress past that.
Turns out i did Moonlight Butterfly but not the rest of the Darkroot zone so backtracked there and now i just had my first go at the wolf Sif.

What i'm missing the most is upgrading flasks - haven't seen a single Firekeeper (got 3 souls ready for him) and now Firelink bonfire went out and can't be lit again cause "Firekeeper died".
I guess it has something to do with the black orb i found and progressing in the map - no spoilers, going down as blind as possible - but we'll see.

No spoilers but you're not too far off being able to upgrade your estus, not imminently by any means but not hugely far away. You'll know when its time to use the black eye orb so just keep at it.

I wound up doing Sif after the bell gargoyles / hydra cause I wandered around the darkroot basin for ages and found myself triggering the sif fight and losing a bunch of souls behind that fog fall - so I probably ended up killing Sif earlier than intended. Really fun fight though - one of my favourites so far.

I was in the same position as you pretty much, I had firekeeper souls to use but the firelink shrine chick was gone so I was stuck at +1 for a little while - it isn't a massive deal, I suspect its intended really.

Learn to how to effectively parry, kick, and doge rolls.

Will drastically improve your fighting abilities.

Also, jump attack.

Be careful