What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2W2kpUH64SU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They thought the anomaly in the readings was perfectly within safe operating procedures and everything was downhill from there.

inherently nothing
it makes a good effort to be a hd version of half life
but the npcs seem wrong and they should be more cheesy like hl1's were

also the soldier AI should be improved

No Xen. Awful unfair AI mechanics when it first launched. Optimization issues.

Other than that I say it's a breddy gud game. The Early Access version fixes a lot of the issues I had with the first free release (other than no Xen of course). In fact, after playing the EA version not too long ago, I'd say I had more fun playing it than Half Life 2.

Tryingtoohard.exe

Just get the Source version if you're so insistent on playing an unpure "improvement" on Half-Life.

Selling a game that has a free copy you can download
Early Access: Gradually adding stuff in a snails pace instead of releasing the finished product, by the time they make large updates everybody has moved on and nobody cares
Enemies seem to be more difficult but didn't bother to change/add health pack placements and ammo accordingly
Cluttery at times

It's not awful and it's very much beautiful but frankly it just reminds me of how much I prefer the first. At this point the one thing that'll determine whether it's worth it or not is how much they can actually make Xen fun since that was the only and biggest flaw of the origonal.

>EA version

The game is, and they said it always will be, free on the site. They are selling it on steam, for money but as it is a mod they believe in distributing for free.

I'm just waiting for xen then I will buy it to support them.

Most of the things were awesome, like the level design, but the actual shooting was horrible. I can't explain in too well, some guy by the name of GGGmanlives explained it really good.

youtube.com/watch?v=2W2kpUH64SU

>The game is, and they said it always will be, free on the site. They are selling it on steam, for money but as it is a mod they believe in distributing for free.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the version that's free on the site just original release (post a few bug patches) and not actually the EA version? Because when I played the EA version a lot of things felt completely different from the original release. For example, they expanded the chapters On A Rail and Surface Tension by quite a bit, and the AI of the Vortigaunts and Soldiers seems to have gotten an overhaul. Even on hard mode, it was still challenging but fair. The area in pic related for instance was nearly impossible on Hard mode, but in the EA version it isn't nearly as challenging as the original (but still not easy by any means).

>and the AI of the Vortigaunts and Soldiers seems to have gotten an overhaul.
That's good to hear since that was actually my biggest with the game as well.

However I'm hesitant to support them until Xen is released and the game is completely finished.

I know this mod has been in the making for years but Early Access isn't exactly infamous for no reason.

The source version is buggy as shit though.

Nothing? It's a great remake with lot of love and detail put into it
Still waiting for Xen

Only problem is no Zen.

/thread

Yeah, I totally get that. Wait for Xen before you buy it, because honestly at this point I'm kinda giving up hope that they'll ever fucking finish it. I'll still vouch that many of the issues that plagued the first came (as seen in this video as almost all of these have been fixed) seemed to have been addressed when I played through it a few months ago.

Heh

>came
game*

Though release probably would have been more accurate

Source version is broken as fuck.

That review is outdated, Gggman later said that devs really improved the mod

wasted development into multiplayer component of the game that no one wanted. Coulda gotten xen by now if it wasn't for that

>BLlCK MESA

Will they also remake Opposing Force and Blue Shift?

It's pretty but I'm not sure about the implication that scientist have been transporting to xen for a long while.

Wasn't the whole point that they just started throwing scientist to the slaughter with no idea of what they're getting into?

This.

>Survey Team - Survey Teams were organized soon after the first teleportation labs were constructed in Black Mesa. Their assignment is the most dangerous, as they are tasked with entering the borderworld Xen to collect samples and conduct experiments. Because of the danger, Survey Team members are highly trained in the use of the HEV Suit and a variety of weapons. Many Survey Team scientists have died on Xen.

From the Half Life wiki. While I don't remember many human structures being built on Xen in the original HL, I do think it's safe to say that they had been visiting Xen for quite a while before the resonance cascade happened. Where do you think they got that sample anyways?

>Where do you think they got that sample anyways?
I always wondered this for years but never put the two together.

I am not a smart man.

There were no human structures but you'd find bloody HEV suits and equipment pretty far into the xen levels. Pretty sure it was just a conceit to scatter the powerups evenly but w/e. I suspect the remake will have more human stuff in the beginning of xen and phase it out by the slave factory.

The transition from free mod to paid product was very poorly handled.

The wait for Xen is FUCKING STUPID. They have no excuse for this, OTHER THAN the increasingly likely-seeming one that Valve is responsible somehow (eg. major Xen retcon with direction from Valve, tie-in to future Half-Life games).

Their original Surface Tension and On A Rail cuts were dumb.

The revolver aim-down-sights is worse than useless, actually adds a degree of spread which normal firing completely lacks, plus blinding you with an ugly DOF zoom.

The Ichthyosaur was nowhere near as terrifying as in the original, as it should have been.

Alien Grunts feel less relevant/present than the original.

Aside from the meta issues and nit-picking, the game is legitimately great, perhaps even better than the original. Definitely better than Half-Life 2.

>future Half-Life games

I was a freshman in high school when Black Mesa released as a mod
I'm in college now

>The wait for Xen is FUCKING STUPID. They have no excuse for this, OTHER THAN the increasingly likely-seeming one that Valve is responsible somehow (eg. major Xen retcon with direction from Valve, tie-in to future Half-Life games).

This. Especially that last part.

The amount of time spent on Xen, a fairly short area, doesn't make sense otherwise

The thought was that most people disliked Xen from the original HL (stupid opinion imo but whatever) and that they were going to significantly improve/expand it

I'm more inclined to believe they just got lazy. They were only planning to charge for the full game with Xen but realized that was going to take years and "cashed out"

This shit's been in development as long as HL3.

Longer, really. But at least we get to play most of Black Mesa.

>HL3
LOL

They're apparently remaking Xen all together, which I don't particularly mind since Xen was the worst part.

>Where do you think they got that sample anyways?

'our mutual friend'

Valve hired the Black Mesa team to finish Half-Life 3 for them, they have to work on that before they can release Xen.

>perhaps even better than the original

Perhaps you're a faggot.

They didn't finish it.

I'm kinda disappointed honestly. Xen looks lame as fuck. I know everyone likes to rag on it for it's shitty jumping puzzles but as far as the theme went it was pretty alien with all those crazy textures and shit. This just looks like a regular cave with shiny rocks.

wasn't there some more permanent stuff in Blue Shift? some Black Mesa encampments with computers set up, iirc.

There was a place in there with computers and other machinery, but they were all in a small cave. Looked more like a temporary camp than anything else

Nothing deal breaking, but they shipped it unfinished and seem to be taking their time with Xen. Not inherently a bad thing mind you, but I'd have preferred they had waited to finish Xen before releasing the game

Getting my refund once it leaves early access

Fuck these nigger devs

>implying you can't already mod HL1 to look and play better than Black Mesa
And people pay money for Black Mesa

The other HEV suit people were there because they were making attempts to do what you ended up doing (killing the Nihilanth).

Am I the only one who actually fucking likes Xen? I loved the skybox/just look in general, and I was perfectly fine with the jumping puzzles. It was a nice great break from the samey labs you been in nearly the entire game. The atmosphere was great too imo. idk am I just a fukkin fagget with bad taste desu senpai

I had no idea the were selling it now. How did they get the rights to the IP?

I don't mind Half-Life's platforming sections for the most part but it get's real old in Xen real fast since you can never quite tell if somethings close enough to jump to and if you'll take fall damage until it's to late.

It also has an abrupt difficulty curve despite the final boss not being particularly hard.
Valve can be extremely Jewish at times but when it comes to their IP's they're known to be pretty damn lenient and okay with just about anything within reason.

I guess they cut a deal with Valve.

>What went wrong?

No Zen (yet) and dead MP.

You're right about the skyboxes being cool as fuck

>because honestly at this point I'm kinda giving up hope that they'll ever fucking finish it.

Wuss. They released an update along with some info and screenshots of Xen a month or so ago. It's coming, it's just taking time since Xen is such a fucking hassle.

>"Booo hoo!"

Fuck off! This mod is awesome.