DK64 is a good game

DK64 is a good game.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/LP_Donkey_Kong_64
youtube.com/watch?v=jgKFDWp8B4U
youtube.com/watch?v=MoG9iKG1yms
youtube.com/watch?v=dxuBhZuFSqs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's got its flaws, but I still have fun playing it.

Well, yeah.
It has flaws, but it can still be fun.

OK

It has it's flaws, but I enjoyed it

It's bad.

>DK64 is a good game.

HE HAS some flaws, but still fun

It's universally understood that it's good. Anyone who says otherwise is a casual shitter that can't handle collecting over one thousand things.

No.

archive.org/details/LP_Donkey_Kong_64

TL:DW some goon who's a major fanboy of DK64 revisits the game for a nostalgic let's play, and gets drained as all hell from it.

Said goon also turns into a girl, but that's neither here nor there.

>Worst game in the DK franchise
>"Universally understood to be good"

It's debatable at best.

I'm not going to change my opinion because some Something Awful fuck did.

dk64 is a fantastic experience. loved it.

>I'm not going to change my opinion
Should have ended there.

We both know that you will never reassess your feelings about this game.

The point is that you actually have to play the game again and let that nostalgia of yours get ruined.

The only annoying part is not being able to pick stuff up as a different kong, but that doesn't break the game for me.

It's also like the only 3D platformer in the DK franchise. You can't really compare 3D platformers to 2D platformers, or to some fucking kongo bongo game.

FOR ME TO POOP ON!

>What DK64 does right
Setting/atmosphere
Hub world with a nice sense of scale and places to explore
Boss build up/boss fights
Lots of detail put into the environments, characters, and animations
Soundtrack
Final boss that utilizes the best of each Kong
Simple, but fun multiplayer mode
Pleasing art style (though there are some wonky textures around)
>What DK64 does wrong
Too much to collect, even if you just want to beat the game normally
As a result of the collectibles being exclusive to specific Kongs, the game is heavily based around backtracking
Too many new abilities are context sensitive, guns are glorified switch hitters
Level design: too much flat open space separated by wide corridors of nothing, most players will find themselves spamming anything to move faster from one place to another (DK's roll, Chunky's spin, Lanky's gimped talon trot)
Bananaporters and tag barrels do not significantly reduce the tedium
Recycled minigames, should have been replaced with platforming challenges or more sections using unique Kong abilities
Minigame controls are too stiff and sometimes even delayed
For the most part, minigames are not related to the theme of the worlds they're located in
Very little actual platforming; you will spend most of the game walking or swimming

Nice 3x3 user
Good taste

HE'S THE LEADER OF THE BUNCH

>Has to arbitrarily throw out the other game as being "some fucking kongo bongo game" so he doesn't get rectally ruined.
>You don't even need the bongos to play it.

DK64 is shit by 3D platformer standards. It's slow, it's repetitive, and it plays like garbage on its original console. It thrives on tedious back and forth switch fuckery, time limits, and bad minigames. It is a bad 3D platformer, and in a series almost exclusively composed of the greatest 2D platformers ever made, it's the lame duck.

This is the fairest analysis of the game you'll ever get. Half of the minigame challenges should be replaced with actual platforming, half of the switches and time limits should be removed, and the maps should be more compact (or the Kongs should have their movement speed increased significantly, preferably the former for platforming's sake).

still haven't gotten 101 percent or whatever crazy shit is possible to collect. one day...

just remove everything
make it just 1 character

It's surprisingly varied, despite having to collect the same shit on each world.

I honeslty have no idea what the bongo game is actually. All I know is I saw the bongos and thought it was retarded.

YOU KNOW HIM WELL

Aren't they supposed to do a similar rap for Yooka-Laylee?
I'm hype as fuck.

Are you talking about JB? i am playing it and is good, but nothing spectacular. Donkey Konga series are actually the worst DK games.
DK64 while it didn't add something new to the genre, is still a amazing experience and getting to 101% feels rewarding as hell.

This is the best review of the game, even if i think the items to collect are not a issue.

The bongo game is a platformer where you use the bongos to move DK. It's actually fun, and if you're a grumpy no fun allowed piece of human garbage you can just play it with a controller. There's also a Wii version that replaces it with waggle controls that's also fun.

It's probably one of the best DK games ever made.

youtube.com/watch?v=jgKFDWp8B4U

Kind of interesting Yooka-Laylee is mostly BK inspired, but has touches of DK (the rap and minecarts).

I honestly thought it was supposed to be some sort of rhythm game.

>Jungle Beat is nothing spectacular
>DK64 is an amazing experience

Motherfucker, it's Koizumi's second best game, right after SMG.

Hideout Helm made up for some of the more boring parts of 64.

>Time limit

The Donkey Konga series are rhythm games that use the bongos, while Jungle Beat is a platformer that uses the bongos

>Donkey Konga series are actually the worst DK games
Nah, the Konga games do their job as basic rhythm games. Jungle Beat's style/combo system is VERY satisfying when you nail things down.
youtube.com/watch?v=MoG9iKG1yms

The worst DK games are this and its sequel.

Everything should have been collectable by everybody. That's just one simple idea that would have made the game a lot better. Designing the game around this plus

>removed or better minigames
>more animal buddies with more purpose
>better/more special moves

would have put it up with the all-time greats.

Agreed OP

Donkey Kong Switch when? And none of that 2D shit please.

>make it just 1 character
A tag out mechanic like DKC would have been good. Since tag barrels and their free heals would be gone, melon slices wouldn't be useless.
>Everything should have been collectable by everybody.
Also this and having animal buddies be actual buddies you can find and not limited transformations.

I can defend King of Swing: it was an experiment, has a cute style, and doesn't really overstay its welcome.

Jungle Climber, though? That shit's just bad. Definitely the worst game in a series with only...maybe 3 bad games?

Problem with DKonga is that it doesn't have anything to do with DK besides it's aesthetics, the songs arent even related to the series sans the melee dk rap and the cartoon jp opening, everything else is awful covers of pop songs
I know about the combo system in jb, is good, but i found everything else in the game meh.
And also Jungle Climber is great, it improved on KoS in every way.

got pretty far back in the day but never finished

one of these days i will fire it up again

the music is nice

>I know about the combo system in jb, is good, but i found everything else in the game meh.
I don't know what to te
>And also Jungle Climber is great
You have shit taste. It's fact.

>And also Jungle Climber is great
Haha, get real.

That game is fun, sort of a Clu-Clu land influenced experiment. youtube.com/watch?v=dxuBhZuFSqs

Tell me why JC is bad.

>mfw I had to look up what the fuck Jungle Climber was
>it's a sequel to a GBA game I never heard of
>both look like mobile games

>Awful graphics
>Recycled or mediocre music abounds
>Adds a touch input on the already annoying control scheme.
>Does not actually progress the previous game in inventive ways, instead just tries to be annoying.

It's fucking trash. I'd only recommend it if you REALLY liked King of Swing and needed more even if it meant hating your eyes.

Birds I understand
Fairies I can handle
Banana powered Tikis? Meh.
But Banana Aliens?

That's where you draw the line

Honestly, I just found it incredibly dull and really ugly to look at. The levels felt samey after a while, music is really tinny. It didn't have a reason to be on the DS either.

It's a creative momentum driven platformer game that gets the most mileage when playing for rank/score.

Don't own nor have played the sequel more than 5 minutes but the level layouts immediately did not seem as interesting. Also drops the cartoony art from the GBA game in favor of something that's more like the Super Nintendo Donkey Kong Country games. Preferred the GBA art.

King of Swing didn't sell.
Nintendo and Paon decided this MUST be because of the crazy new art style, despite that being the best part of the previous game.

They decided to make the ugliest, blandest game possible instead. They realized too late that this just made even fewer people buy it.

If Banjo-Kazooie had 10 more worlds to go through that were of the same quality as the first 10 worlds, it would still be better than DK64.

It's not the amount of collecting in DK64 that's the problem, it's that doing so is tedious with five characters and constant backtracking.

This is why I prefer Kazooie to Tooie. Rare just went crazy and made their games progressively bloated towards the end.

>CTRL+F
>Type "dong"
>MFW no expand

The gameplay actually improves on KoS, is faster and the levels feels like an actual platformer compared to KoS, it also adds Diddy as your companion for as a new way to attack while being a meatshield in the way.
There aren't touch controls sans touching the screen to be invunerable.
I didn't like KoS, but when i play JC, i found it to be actually good.
The visuals & music sucks, but the gameplay got better.