What are some good turn based combat rpgs?

what are some good turn based combat rpgs?

i didnt like pic rel
just like the whole series

Chrono Trigger

paper mario and that's it

Dragon Quest 3 for the SNES/SFC

Shining force 2

i was about to download it
snes, ds, psx or android?

>good
>turn based
EH?!

>good
>video games
????????

Digimonstory cyberleuth, persona 2, mario party, final fantasy mystic quest, ffx, pokemon colliseum, mario rpg are some of my favorites.

>Sup Forums
>video games
NANI?!?!?!?!

snes

Final Fantasy 10 actually has pretty good turn-based battles.

But only when it comes to the endgame sidequests.

Don't like FF but like turn based games? Pokemonfag?

Which ones did you play

Suikoden, Cold Steel, SMT Nocturne

I much prefer turn based tactics games

Any reason to why you didn't like the Final Fantasy series? Might not help in recommending another one.

DS.

Lost Odyssey

DS is the definitive version. SNES for original experience.

All other versions avoid like the plague.

Just play DS.

Paper Mario 1 % 2
>why?

Realtime video games have the choice to make it hard or not. But turn based has the choice to make it either easy, or a grindfest for xp. Paper Mario does both.

There is no such thing as a "hard" turn-based RPG so they have to make it easy. If they are trying to be hard, what happens is, it just becomes down to "your deck"

(aka pokemon, yugioh, etc.)
it depends on what moves you have and not your skill, which is why easy turn based RPGs are the only ones that can be good.

Breath of Fire 2, 3, maybe 4.
Phantasy star 2, and 4.
etc

>But turn based has the choice to make it either easy, or a grindfest for xp.
So you haven't played enough JRPG's then?

pokemon actually executes it well
but it's too casual easy

i tried several "classics" but dropped them either because of boring story with shit tropes or boring characters with shit tropes

i didnt go far but the story was shit
i had to back all the time to inn to heal back
dunno where to go and just lost some time and health to shit rng
didnt know shit about the stats (had to use wiki which is a nono for me)
grindan
it just didnt do it
but the battle system was pretty good and clear

Both Baten Kaitos games.

is smt nocturne really where i start with smt series?
i was thinking smt 1 for gba but it was in moon only so idk

dungeon crawling seems fun
i think sakura and demon master chris did tbc justice

Chrono Cross can be worth looking into then. HP is often recovered after battle through unused healing skills you have along with items you find along with no MP pool. Each battle the charges of your spells refresh so you can always go all out every single battle, though there are a few mechanics in place so you cannot use your top tier spells right away.

Though there can be points in which you could feel a bit lost later on though.

I want a jrpg without a story, I just want to battle, what should I play?

Wizardry

Nocturne or IV are the best starting points for the main series, followed by SMT2, and then MT1-2 and SMT1 are probably the worst entry points.

Strange Journey is fantastic, but not a good starting point. Play it after Nocturne for sure. Unless you already like drpgs.

IVA just isn't very good.

i am supposed to play this only after chrono trigger?

knights of pen and paper

my pc is too shit for emulating 3ds and ps2

SaGa is the only JRPG series you really need.

You don't have to play Chrono Trigger before Cross.

The Last Remnant

Any Final Fantasy before 6 just isn't worth it.

As for recommendation, I enjoyed Radiant Historia. It adds just a little bit of extra strategy with enemies positioned on a 3x3 grid. It also has enemies visible on the overworld, which is nice.

>dunno where to go and just lost some time and health to shit rng

oh so you're just a fucking simpleton, got it.

Play Skies of Arcadia.

how are you going to judge the entire FF series because you didn't like the first 1? Have you tried playing other ones?

Try playing 5, it has some of the best of turn based combat you will find.

>Paper Mario does both
Ehhh...not really.
If you gimp your health for flower points, you now have a large safety net of specials to utilize.
If you gimp your health for badge points, you have too many moves at your disposal.
If you attempt to gimp your stats with badges (like reducing Mario's health to nothing or using one of the many types of all or nothing type badges), Mario will inevitably end up with ridiculous buff to attack, making every battle a joke. And as fun as the games are, the battles aren't difficult in the first place, so you're doing more harm.

... Nigga.

You're not exactly wrong but change that "6" to a "4" and you're spot on.

Probably the only turn based RPG, minus the sequels where you can dodge and/or counter every attack.

4 is better than chrono trigger though and came out a few years earlier

well which ones did you play?

The original Grandia is GOAT.

The Shin Megami Tensei series and their spinoffs is a pretty good place to start for Atlus games.

Chrono Cross is pretty good.

But since you can't emulate PS2/3DS, try out these PS1 games: Lunar Eternal Blue Complete and Grandia. Front Mission games are pretty decent if you like turn-based grid strategy games like FFT. Lunar Eternal Blue Complete and Grandia both don't require grinding, the game's pacing of enemy difficulty is fairly gentle (ITT, easy). There's still some pretty good strategy for enemy turn canceling to provide interest in combat.

doesn't 6 have this shit timed combat?

i picked up 5 at some point and see above
also it was boring and still ugly

Etrian Odyssey, avoid the untold story mode like a plague and just go classic mode

Any DRPG just ignore the dialogue.

>Any Final Fantasy before 6 just isn't worth it
>implying that it's not every FF after 5 that isn't worth it

Neptunia

u wot

I guess you could say some stories are better left untold.

Retard detected.

I respect that 4 actually had some story, but no matter how many times I've tried to enjoy it, no matter if it was on SNES, PS, or DS, I can never get it to elicit more than a "meh" from me.

>IVA just isn't very good.
lies

best combat in the series

op, start with nocturne then IV or IV then IVA

then play SJ after those

This is objectively false.

FF has always had pretty shit combat.

Wow that's some shit taste.

V is the best SNES FF.

Final Fantasy 5 was trash just like SMT IV which ruined everything that Nocturne brought to the table.

No it's not. I'll never understand why CT is so overrated. It's a great entry level JRPG but that's it. The only thing worthy of high praise is the music.

IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX all use ATB.

>this fucking nigger doesn't like ATB

ha

how is mother 1 on gba?

CT is overrated, but a great entry-level RPG beats a mediocre mid-level RPG.

FFIV isn't even mid-level. It's still entry level. You're being too fair to the retard.

At least it was made in 91 instead of the most simple JRPG next to Pokemon made in 95 :^)

Dragon Quest?

DQVI was pretty complex.

It's funny because CT and FFIV are actually both mechanically more simplistic than Pokemon.

maybe in pvp but the games are a breeze

Are you one of those people who like to believe in fairytales like the Moon section of FFIV being hard?

Also, difficulty and mechanical depth are two seperate things. Your last few posts have been nothing but a series of goalpost moving. I'm curious to see how far you can stretch it.

>I'm curious to see how far you can stretch it.
I was going to ask if you're one of the same people who says XIII is "press x to win"

Golden Sun 1 & 2

Nope. Gotta shift them paradigms.

Unless you like poking an enemy with an ineffective class for an hour (like people who don't know how to play Vagrant Story right end up doing). Still a fucking terrible game, but it's not press X to win.

'no'

you win this round

'yes'

'maybe'

dont say it

Final Fantasy 10 has true turn based combat and shows the turn order. I don't know why anyone ever preferred ATB. It doesn't add to the game in any meaningful way.

'i don't know'

'can you repeat the question'

gives you the opportunity to spill your spaghetti in tense moments

megaten. play IV if you've got a 3ds, or nocturne if you don't.

GOLDEN SUN
SUPER MARIO RPG

IV if you have access to a 3ds. I and II have been translated. I hear II is good but I don't know for sure.

I actually agree with this. ATB was always just glorified turn-based with a pseudo-time-based tweak. I always enjoy watching autists on both sides fighting over whether or not it's turn-based.

The difference between fast and slow characters only adds up enough to mean anything in long boss battles. As long as you take your turns right away, it's functionally the exact same experience as playing TB. Especially if you have the game set to "Hold" when you open menus. It really doesn't add any depth in terms of gameplay or strategy.

>he played with 'Wait' on

ATB with Active setting is honestly fucking fantastic.

FFV is actually good

Not really, Final Fantasy beyond the first handful of games have all been pretty forgiving. Plus they let you change the battle speed and enable wait mode if you want to which removes the point of ATB if you just open a magic or item menu while deciding what to do, and FFIX even at max speed is still horribly slow. As long as your equipment is up to date there really isn't anything in the main story that basic attack, elemental spells, and potions/cure spells can't handle. So it never really gets tense. FFX being turn based is more complex with some story bosses than almost all ATB games before it when you think about bosses like Yunalesca. The dark aeons of the international/HD release are far above the bonus bosses of earlier games as well. Unless you just throw loads of gil at Yojimbo to have him handle it for you. But doing that you can't beat dark Yojimbo because he has to be battled multiple times in succession to be beaten.

So then what is the issue? If the time isn't a matter for you then why do you care if it's there?

>FFIX even at max speed is still horribly slow.
Turning the speed up actually makes FF9 slower. Enemy ATB still increases during the super slow animations, so monsters get way more turns on fast speeds, and each animation takes about a minute.

The quickest way to play FF9 is to turn the speed DOWN, true story.

Exactly for that reason. It isn't adding anything to the game. All it's doing is slowing you down. The opposite of what it's supposed to do, which is make you think quickly. In true turn based combat turn order is decided by speed and there's no waiting around for turn bars to fill up. ATB order is also decided by character speed, the exact same way, the only difference is that instead of immediately going to the next character or enemy in the queue you have to wait for their turn bar to fill. Active time battle is wasting time.

Not really in a good way though.

FFVI was a huge step down from FFV. It was extremely disappointing.

FFVI isn't even popular in Japan. The only reason it's popular over here was because Woolsey did a good job with Kefka and because we never got FFV

'you're not the boss of me now'

Also that we never got many other JRPG's.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but, I think FFX has the best turn based combat.

Actually, I guess Paper Mario might contend with that, but they're pretty hard to compare