Playing through this for the first time. Just made it to Nashkel. When does the game stop feeling impossible...

Playing through this for the first time. Just made it to Nashkel. When does the game stop feeling impossible? I get fucked up by regular mobs.

Oh and Baldur's Gate 1/2 thread, I guess.

Get redy to be fucked over and over

BG1 is fucking hard. It stops being impossible in BG2.

Whats your class? Party composition? Level?

My guess is you didn't do enough side quests before going to nashkel. You also probably have too many peeps in your party to start. The more you level up with just you and imoen the less overall grinding you need to do. Whatever level you are will be what new party members start at when you recruit them

I'm playing a Berserker, using Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, and Garrick. Everyone's at level 2. Did I screw myself over?

Are you playing the lastest patch, where have the difficult setting?
If yes, try to find a previous version.

Garrick is pretty trash so you can be forgiven for dropping him. And this game has endless opportunities to grind and get experience so there's no 'fucked forever'

The game splits experience equally between all party members. So 1k experience split 5 ways means 200 each. If you just did it between you and imoen thats 500 each. Early on thats pretty useful.Id suggest doing more exploring around beregost. There's lots of experience and quests surrounding that town.

I'm playing whichever version's on GoG, but not the Enhanced Edition. I haven't seen any difficulty settings.
Thanks for the tips, I'll ditch Garrick and pound out some more sidequests. Hopefully I won't get steamrolled anymore.

Early BG1 is literally a die roll simalutor. There are very little guarantees and you can easily get randomly 1 shotted. That plus the cost of ressing your team members means that if anyone dies in combat it's a reload. So yes it's pretty shit.

You may want to use ranged weapons at the beginning because alpha striking with the whole team on crossbows can easily one shot most mobs, and getting into melee will only get you randomed to death.

Also dont neglect your armor class and weapons specs. That stuff matters quite a bit.

And finally. Don't return the golden pantaloons. Keep them for the next game.

There also a wizard ring outside of the Friendly Arms Inn that sells for I think 7k gold. Which would gear out your whole team. There's also a suit of really good plate armor at the farms at Nashkle. You have to use I think alt or tab (which high lights all the items) to find them.

>selling the ring of wizardry
>selling the ankheg armor
>thinking you can find stuff better than that at a merchant

Nigga you crazy.

im a level 1 wild mage and im at the bandit camp already, chapter 3 or some shit, how fucked am i

The armor he should keep. But the ring I would sell and buy spells/other things with. Magic is subpar till Bg2 anyway.

Stop trying to melee everything.

>sleep
>charm
>fireball
>skull trap
>invisibility
I know you can get a wand/potions for some spells, but holy shit infinite sleep spells is ridiculous.

Thinking about doing this game and actually completing it. Instead of having 6 people can I do just fine with 4? I know how to micro-manage and strategize pretty alright.

Or should I play it with a friend of mine in co-op and not worry about the dialogue i'd be missing out on? This will be a first playthrough.

Sleep is the most powerful anything in all of BG, it makes 99% of the game trivial.

You don't miss out on any important dialogue, BG1 has far less companion dialogue than the sequel.

If your friend wants to customize a character he can, but you can also just give him the NPCs you take.

I highly recommend co-op, but remember its the Bhaalspawns story. If the MC dies, game over. The main character controls dialogue. Anyone else is along for the ride.

Should've made a better build. I found BG1 difficult first time around, optimised the build for a second playthrough and steamrolled non-dlc content. Isle of Balduran and Aec Letec were tough tho.
I wish BG2 could've imitated the feel 1 had, it felt like it was taking itself too seriously and shoving in drama where it wasn't needed, map was smaller too.

Install BG1 NPC project and unfinished business

>I wish BG2 could've imitated the feel 1 had, it felt like it was taking itself too seriously and shoving in drama where it wasn't needed

Holy shit, this so much. BG1 felt like going on an adventure.
And then suddenly drama death and torture.

Also Sarevok>>Irenicus

Enemies are not supposed to be pushovers till you level close to level cap and have best obtainable gear.

just run away from everything and use ranged weapons all the time, they seem to hit a lot frequently

once you hit level 2 I think your hp will approximately double, so combat will be a little less instant death for your fighters

hey guys im wondering if I should get the original game or the enhanced edition? GoG had BGI and II (both Enhanced ed) for like $13 right now

if you're lazy play enhanced edition, if you're willing to put in more effort get the proper version

I'd recommend not paying for either of them though

i'd rather not but seems to be the safest sure-fire way to get the game. got a good torrent site?

thepiratebay

Go to the high hedge, I think south-west of the stone circle place in the middle of the map, and get this fucking slayer of men, then give him a longbow.

This one act will drop the difficulty immensely.

endless reloading is to be expected in IE games, as in older Fallout games. It's a part of the tactical challenge of isometric RPG's, looking for the optimal deployment. But chracters don't usually die at random past level 5 or so, there are spells and potions to ensure that never happens unless the entire party gets overwhelmed.

Was literally going to post this, Kivan will often end up with 50% of the kill XP for a new player.

>playing BG2
>want to use Imoen but don't want to do Spellhold just yet
>she will be severely underleveled when I rescue her
Is there some way to give her the same experience as my character without breaking the game or something? I need someone to disarm traps for me and Nalia is kinda lame.

You can just set her XP with the console or a save editor.

Buying on GOG gets you both the Enhanced Editions and the originals.

that shit really bugged me in BG2. I would've preferred it if you rescued imoen earlier and got back to the main land, and then they had some other excuse for you to do underdark shit after. you're away from the main area for too long

I think both editions are separate.

Yeah after level 5 the game really comes into its own. At that point its still crushingly difficult but you often end up blaming your own self for losses. At that point it feels really satisfying to beat stuff.

Give the ring to Edwin and spam the magic missiles

Simple, give your spellcaster the sleep spell. You've now solved low level AD&D.

That's one aspect I appreciate in modern CRPGs. Not having static NPC character levels. Much like if someone joined your tabletop game they're not going to be some weird fucking level. You lose the coolness of possibly getting a companion that's a level or two higher than you, but that's well worth it compared to finding yourself locked-in on companions because you don't want to deal with picking up a low level shitter.

They fixed that in ToB. If you used the summoning thing to bring your companions into the pocket plane, they would level up to the average level of the group.

I don't recall if it worked for SOA or BG1, but there was an option in the Tweak Pack mod that allowed you to utilize the feature through the whole of BG2, and if you're using Tutu or BGT, it should apply for the BG1 part as well.

I've never used him. With the enhanced edition you can just make your PC an archer spec and get all the kills yourself, I wonder what a second would be like. I imagine EZ modo, just gotta pick up a wizard for some utility and that's that.

I used a mod that kept xp level, probably the tweak pack

Yeah, probably. I've never played as an archer though, since if I'm playing BG1 I'll want to transfer to BG2 and dedicated archers aren't particularly good. I also prefer to play as someone with more spellcasting capability than a ranger or a paladin. It just feels more fitting to me if your Bhaalspawn is a more involved character, with the NPCs being the pure muscle autoattackers.