youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

If it's not in Sonic Blast you're wrong

>sonic blast
>2d

????

Yes

wacky workbench is fuckin shite

Do I need to say it?

Marble Zone will forever be the worst Sonic level.
Some may come close, but none will beat it.

Your taste, I don't like it

It's less 3D than New Super Mario Bros. is.

The level was fine except for that one fucking barrel

>they fell for the high speed blast processing meme

Cant think of many. Like em all.

Some that are just "eh, whatever" though.

Spring Yard Zone
Scrap Brain Zone
Wacky Workbench
Marble Zone (great music however)
METROPOLIS ZONE. Man I couldn't get passed this as a kid. Based music, and I now appreciate it 15 years later, but still challenging
Aquatic Ruin Zone has great music but its so boring

I'm fully aware it's not all gotta go fast, it's still a garbage level.

>he's never seen the atrocity that is sonic blast

Act 2 is way too fucking long.

I actually Timed Out on the Robotnik boss because I was too busy goofing off looking for Giant Rings.

Mind you they give you 10 minutes. And you'l probably use up at least 5 of them.

metropolis was a bit of a shitter for having 3 stages
I can only imagine mfw I heard the music again after completing act 2 as a kid

I used to think Metropolis Zone was the last level because of how hard it was back then. Three acts and a boss that I've yet to figure out the timing on still makes me think that's what they originally planned.

They're long only if explore everything looking for the big rings. If you just go to the end they're big but fun. Though Launch base tires me out and I'm not sure why. I dunno if it's because it's the last level and they're all long or the repetitive music.

But I agree, 10 minutes isn't enough. I also time out on Sandopolis usually.

Wait for it to level out after the balls spazz out.

If you mean the jump over Robotnik I don'y know. Fuck that shit.

Ah man, the memories from that level. I was legit scared of those ghosts.

Carnival Night act 2 is still the only sonic level that I ever run the risk of Timing Out. It just feels so goddamn long if you go through it casually.

I'm a bit less likely to Time Over now because I actually understand how "The Barrel" actually works, when I did not as a child.

Casual

There's plenty of annoying gimmicks in the zone besides the barrel. Add to the fact that it looks and sounds like shit, and you've got an all around shitty level. There is nothing redeemable about it, even the boss sucked.

Marble Zone is objectively better than Starlight Zone and Labyrinth Zone.

fpbp

>Spring Yard Zone
>Scrap Brain Zone
>Marble Zone
>Metropolis Zone
>eh
Shit taste detected.

Anything from Knuckles Chaotix

They took an interesting concept (Sonic & Tails except they're always on the same screen, and can enact physics on each other with a rubber band) and put it in the most nonsensical level levels completely devoid of enemies. The only challenge is trying to figure out where the fuck you're supposed to go.

Pros:
>a couple good music tracks
>decent special stage design
youtu.be/25zfuBV-hPw

Labyrinth Zone is probably the worst 2D sonic level overall. I'm glad they learned how to deal with water from Sonic 2 onward.

I love Starlight though, it's probably my favorite from Sonic 1. I dunno why.

Can we all agree that Sonic 2 had the worst special stages by far?
>Can't see where the fuck you're going half the time, bombs only become visible when it's too late to react
>Barely enough rings to pass, complete trail and error gameplay
>Tails will always run into shit and ruin your run. Every time.

Why do Sonic 1 levels get so much shit from people? Sure they're not as GOTTA GO FAST as the latter titles, but they're challenging and for the most part well designed. Some are frustrating like Scrap Brain, but I wouldn't call them bad.

Mirage Saloon looks shit desu

youtube.com/watch?v=R8zmICz4q_8

Starlight is pretty but as a stage it's pretty meh.
Worst stage in any 2D Sonic is the stage that OP posted, though.

Yeah, pretty much. They were poorly designed. They're up there with CD's special stages in terms of frustration in my opinion.

Fuck that zone

They were novel at the time. Anytime they've made them in 3D the concept is much better. Sonic Rush for example

Shame really. I really loved some of the weird ideas they had (Like having the level be drab and spooky until you found a light switch)

youtube.com/watch?v=sqDJMlFe0F0

I'd rate it as one of the most uninteresting Sonic levels, but I've played worse, far worse.

Chaotix was basically wasted potential. I had high hopes for the game around the time it first came out. Boy what a disappointment.

I found CD's more tolerable by far, though CD's were pretty frustrating at times as well.

Fair enough. It was a good concept that just didn't work very well with the tech of the time.

It's been a while since I played it, but I remember OP's stage as being way too convoluted, it was impossible to navigate that shit.

I wonder if Chaotix would have been better if they had just stuck with Sonic and Tails, and focused on making the stages good? It very much feels like a rushed game.

I can't really say why I like it so much. It may be because of nostalgia or because it comes after Labyrinth, which is downright awful and the worst in the series, so it's always a relief. And because Labyrinth was so hard for me as a kid reaching Starlight was pure bliss.

Also I love the music.

And to be honest I don't think Sandopolisis nearly as bad as people make it out to be, besides it dragging on for a bit, and I normally dislike desert levels overall.

>game about going fast?
>here's a 5 minute autoscroller level where all you do is stand on a platform

Don't get me wrong, I understand the hate. Shit, I don't like the zone either, I just recall ones that I hate even more. Not even talking about Labyrinth or anything like that, but some zones from the Game Gear games and shit like that.

I think Sonic 2 for Game Gear has a few I hate above everything else.

That one was frustrating as hell. Only thing I liked about it was the music.

What's funny is they mixed up the music for Act 2 and 3

Even though it's a pretty shit game, I always loved the graphical style. One of the best looking Sonics IMO.

Good soundtrack too

youtube.com/watch?v=F-axPO7pwgg

Most game gear Sonic stages are kind of funky, so I tend to just not think about them in general.

I like quite a few of them, but then I have a bias because I mostly grew up with the Game Gear titles. Could only play Sonic 2 at my cousin's.

>Piss yellow color pallet
>Awkward layout, not conducive to the mechanics at all
>Worst fucking theme in the entire Genesis trilogy

wood zone

pic unrelated

I don't know, maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but I kind of like it. Seemed like a really climactic level that just sort of worked. Was really challenging, and that boss was pretty interesting too.

But I can see why some wouldn't like it, especially the first part with the bottomless pit.

i actually like it just wanted to post it

I honestly think Wing Fortress was the last good Zone in the game after the 2 1/2 shitpiles that came before it.

But that's not saying much since the next level is the final boss.

was it really that bad?

>Worst fucking theme in the entire Genesis trilogy
Commit sudoku

All of them

Pic unrelated? Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles had consistently great levels. People bitch about timing out but that's only because you suck at the games. I had no trouble getting through Carnival Night or Sandopolis as a little kid back when they released. Any adult who gets stuck more than once or twice should just stick to mobile games.

Mystic Cave had a lot of frustrating elements like those rocks that crushed you and the annoying as fuck lightning bugs, oh and let's not forget the fucking pit with the spikes.

So I can see why some would hate it. Personally, I like it still, in spite of all that. Mostly because of the atmosphere and music.

It's not bad at all.

Good theme that sounds like it's being played on microsoft midi.

imagine being in a Sandopolis zone for 24 hours in real life.

Bridge Zone, fuck Bridge Zone. Who thought it was a good idea to have a scrolling stage in a Sonic game? Terrible music, terrible boss, terrible aesthetics. It sucked.

oh really?

youtube.com/watch?v=4LD9Yekzajk

Pic somehow related? Or did you just post that for shit's and giggles?

Even people who love Sonic 3 and Knuckles admit Sandopolis Act 2 is pretty bad, dude.

Although personally I don't have a problem with the actual level design. I think it just goes on for 2 minutes longer than it should.

just ignore it. not related

A trap for people who abused Super Sonic. Or in my case simply rushing along with invincibility stars

youtube.com/watch?v=q2LTEffA3E4

I don't understand how anyone can like this. The first 8 seconds are okay, and then it just fucking droooooones. And the instrumentation is godawful

This is in the same game that gave us this

youtube.com/watch?v=HNH45mlx7WY

Alright, 24 hours in a place like Sandopolis 2. Yeah, that would be torture. Being tormented by ghosts that could eat me for 24 hours sounds horrible.

Most of you fags on this board were too young to even be around to experience Genesis Sonic as kids. In fact I would bet money 98% of Sup Forums has never even held the three button Genesis controller.

I unironically love Aquatic Ruin.

Come at me

It's not the best song in the game, but I wouldn't call it the worst. It also sort of fits the level it's in. I certainly think it fits more than this trash

youtube.com/watch?v=vxBz8LXxGv4

user you're completely and utterly right

I was saying Aquatic Ruins is good

Chemical Plant Zone

>inb4 I am baiting

the game was to hard. there i said it.
catchy title, get to play as kunckles, but it was to hard

I agree when it comes to timing out.
But for the argument that the level is shit I'll project that it deserves criticism because of its length. I've played S3&K for years, and even to this day, even with Super Sonic, it takes 6+ mins to beat the level. Barring a casual run, that's too long for the classic games to last with a 10 min time limit. 5 or less should be it.

If 6+ is Super Sonic (casual run), than that's 7-8+ for normal Sonic. Heroes was plagued for doing that too by the end of the game, same goes for the classics as well.

>Playing the non Genesis version.

The Sky Fortress songs are actually good though. Listen to the remixes with actual Genesis instruments, they're much better than the bootleg shit Jun Senoue used.

>Chemical Plant Zone
imagine almost reaching the boss and falling into that chemical water stuff.. it's really anoying

>>Playing the non Genesis version.

Sonic 2 had a pc version?

Level is really fun until near the end with that purple water bullshit and the reaching the boss and dying to the pitfall part like the guy mentioned.

I don't like it.

okay

It's not hard on subsequent playthroughs though. When I was a kid that was really frustrating, but now, it's mostly second nature to me.

It plays like a grand finale theme, and that's why I like it. Doomsday was the only other one to come close, and as a boss theme, one of the best, but it just didn't do it for me as Wing Fortress did.
It's a joke to the Sonic & Knuckles port on PC that used Midi versions of songs replacing some of the Michael Jackson music.

Best theme coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=JrohIsNWZKY

I played Sonic 2 when it first came out, bought Sonic 1 shortly after, and then Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Also played Sonic Spinball when it was first released. Still have my Genesis too. Eat shit.

I still get really nervous on that one part with the slow ass floating blocks and the rising water. I just dread hearing that drowning theme so I try to rush it and I end up fucking up.

He is right. You are just one of those 2% on this board.

I don't know about the worst stage but I just came in here to post the GOAT

youtube.com/watch?v=lcRHBgGHtwo

Tails always had better themes than Sonic for some gay reason

youtube.com/watch?v=_BOV4rxcmsg

Yeah, I get you. Memories of when I used to drop down that pit still haunt me, so I'll naturally feel nervous when crossing the bridge.

A long time ago, I used to use the red spring because I wasn't confident in my platforming skills back then. Worked some of the time, but it was a gamble. Simply platforming is better.

Every single level in Sonic 1 is great.

imagine, you wake up you play sonic for the first time in this beautiful level. then your wisked away into a world of stone block and metal. and machines. i think thats what the problem was. you see this beautiful lush forest type zone in the games then you go into a Factory type zone. it messes with your mind

The only ones I didn't really like were Marble Zone and Starlight Zone. I enjoyed the rest, for the most part. Spring Yard was alright, could have been better IMO.

You know you can skip that whole section, right?

all of them in this game except hydrocity and ice cap