Which one of the Holy Trinity of FFs on PSX is the worst one and why?

Which one of the Holy Trinity of FFs on PSX is the worst one and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dzFrVyNdZfs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

furry

Gameplay-wise? FFVII though it's my favorite title in that bunch. Best story, cast, and setting.

Story-wise? FFVIII, but the aesthetic atmosphere is kind of neat.

Design-wise? FFIX. Seriously, the transition times are fucking ridiculous.

8 because it can be broken so easily

8 is the worst purely because of how utterly abusable the systems in that game are. If you have any idea of what you're doing you'll have stupid amounts of damage and survivability very early on. Due to the level scaling, you end up with no incentive to actually fight encounters.

I felt like 9 was almost perfect, with the only real problems I had with the game being the very long delay between the random encounter swoosh and actually getting to fight. The other problem I had was after the 2nd disc, if your name wasn't Garnet, Zidane, or Vivi, your character development was basically zero. They just exist to be party members at that point and don't really add anything else to the actual story.

VIII is worst

Honestly? IX.

Some people will be fucking mad at that, but IX just had such a boring setting, the story wasn't very gripping, and the only character I even remember or enjoyed was Zidane. Also the fights were slow as molasses and took ages.

The only problem with 9 is Necron

Materia system is even easier to break. Long as you've paid attention to the tutorial with Barrett, you can breeze through everything.

9 probably has the best villain in FF history. Kuja was fucking awesome

As I recall Freya and Eiko had fairly fleshed out storylines.. but I also havent played that game in over 10 years so maybe I'm remembering wrong

Best to Worst
VII > XI > VIII

nice meme opinion but necron isn't even a problem

SNES remakes are good. 7 and later are ok.

Awesome a FF thread.
If I wanted to get into the series, other than 4, which of these games should I start out with?
Also which version of 4 is better, DS or PSP?

8 because growing up at the same orphanage is a dumb coincidence. It's like Lost where flashbacks showed they all had some brief interaction with one another before the island, except much more retarded (if that's possible) because they grew up together and forgot.

I had literally no problems with necron, thematically the entire game is about what it means to live, and the final boss is the very concept of death itself.

Yeah but at least you're somewhat progress gated for materia. In 8 you can just go play cards with some guys in the Garden and gain all these rarer cards to card mod into items to turn into spells to junction to stats to become godlike at level 8.

the snes and ps1 ones are the only ones worth playing

The only one that isn't truly fleshed out is Amarant, still he has a great place in the story, and by the end his story has a satisfying closure.

I'd say play an FF1 remake, then FF6, then 7. From there it gets a bit murkier.

Freya's entire plot was done by the time you got to disc 3, Eiko had just been introduced so she was able to get some spotlight though.

Amarant though, he joins at the end of disc 2, and gets maybe 3 minutes of actual story dedicated to him.

IX>VII>VIII

XI is clearly the best but which is the worst between VII and VIII is more difficult to answer

IX is great, VIII is pure dog shit, and VII is overrated.

he appears from nowhere , does nothing and then dies

if you take him out of the story, it ends in the same way

also, 9s music is thr worst of the three. wtf was wrong with Uematsu in this game?

i mean IX

Start with 9, it is a great place for beginners in the series and an awesome game. Then play 8 and 7 10 and 12; Stay away fron the sequels and 13

Switch 7 and 9 and we good

>8 because it can be broken so easily
>8 is the worst purely because of how utterly abusable the systems in that game are.
But that's the best part.

are you kidding? 9's music is probably the best in the series, you have godawful taste
necron was literally death, you had to beat him to live. if he wasn't in the game kuja wouldn't do his ultima or you would just stay dead

>I had literally no problems with necron, thematically the entire game is about what it means to live, and the final boss is the very concept of death itself.

Stop bulshiting. He is the manifestation of Kujas anger and faggotry. Nothing more.

All this shit that you say is a theory for people in denial. The wiki, game dialogue and Ultimania proves that

lets see...

FFVII
>poser emo kid
>fake identity
>what people call the greatet villain ever is not in 80% of the game
>variety of cast and characters
>environmental issues
>Materia and weapons/amor make for interesting specs/builds
>ult weapons all have a gimmick that make or break the character who can use them
>cid is a drunk and has a rocket ship
FFVIII
>high school sim
>17yr olds fighting as soldiers on the beaches of normandy
>junction system is time consuming
>weapons are non-existent
>19yr old female teacher
>hits on student, everyone is okay with this
>Classic FF evil doing the whole "im coming back to destroy the world" routine that u only finally meet at the end of the game
>Beta main character who cant talk to girls
>anime tropes fill the cast
>Cid is your principle and you report to his office a lot
FFIX
>son goku with daggers
>Kuja/vegeta is male? female? trans? a trap?
>stats and bonuses tied to weapons and armor, can learn this and become OP
>Similar story to FF7, empire is trying to take over and exploit the world... ancient extinct race caught up in the middle thanks to the last survivors getting involved
>Plot twist
>Super Saiyan Zidane vs Super Saiyan Kuja
>Cid has a gundam

Pretty much this.

You can break 7 too with that item duplicate thingy. I don't remember exactly how it went but I recall having x99 of the best potions in the game which destroys any sense of difficulty.

easily VIII
I'm playing through it right now and although my opinon of it has gotten better it's still the weakest.
>the gameplay is explained through a set of jarring tutorials that bring up 50 menus and slow down the 1st disc
>then they tell you to go read more in the menu
>story starts off introducing a shitton of new worldbuilding concepts that you barely learn about until way later in the game.

This is pure opinion
>the battle system is alright, but it's not my cup of tea.
>way too much mini managing with menus and stats
>menus within menus cause customization to become a mess which was annoying to deal with after the streamlined and almost minimalist aesthetic of VII's menus
>limit breaks can only be activated at low health
>enemies only scale to Squall

>>poser emo kid
>"I only watched AC" the post

That's probably the stupidest glitch I've heard of in an FF game, at the very least it doesn't have too much impact on your playthrough since you don't get access to it until very late into the game.

whats ac

I agree with this.

You don't even get the more broken materia until later in the game.

advent children

>Son Goku with daggers
Zidane wishes he was as fleshed out or charming as Goku. (Not counting Super and GT)

But Cloud wasn't an emo kid until Advent Children. In the game, he starts out as an arrogant fuck that's hung up on how awesome he is for having, and then quitting his previous job. He gets a little messed up for a bit over the whole clone thing and falling in the lifestream, but then soldiers on (no pun intended) and saves the world.

How and why he then transitioned entirely to being a depressed fuck, I don't know. It just suddenly was, and then stuck.

In your work out running FF playlist. what musics would you put?

Kefka = Crazy
Sephiroth = Badass
Kuja = FABULOUS!

obviously bombing mission is the only track worth pumping iron to.

VIII > VII > IX
And 8 is like a 7/10 at best. Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story were the real stars of Square's PS1 output.

because Seifer isn't the main character and best girl is unrecruitable

they were all ok.

Dagger or Eikp?

Ekkp

youtube.com/watch?v=dzFrVyNdZfs

FF9. No hesitation. Throwing away everything you learned just for a little nostalgia trip with terrible characters, terrible story, and a slow ass battle system was the worst decision ever

4 (and 5, i think too, but i didnt like the original enough to try it out)has a good remake on the ds, 6 is best on the snes, 7 on the pc if you have the patience for mods, usually one person will love 8 and hate 9 or vice versa, same case with 10. 12 (zodiac version) is almost like its from a different series, but if you like vagrant story or mmo-like gameplay, you will like it. avoid all the others

8 had a more realistic setting and feel to it, which was pretty nice after 7's roller coaster.

9 the art style was too much like disney.

oh yeah world of final fantasy is actually surpassing my expectations, give it a shot as well.

Shitty story, shitty characters(except Vivi and Kuja)
Furry pandering

quina's theme

>junction system is time consuming

Jesus Christ Sup Forums. You people are embarassing.
I played VIII when I was literally 10 years old and I had zero problems with the junction system.

why are people just now compaining about the furry pandering, you didn't even know furries existed back then. it's better than having a bunch of boring human characters

VII > IX > VIII

7 for the weakest cast, weakest story, and most boring gameplay.

Came here to post this

Fuck off furshitter

The OFFICIAL Final Fantasy Tier List

>God Tier:

>Good Tier:

>Allright Tier:

>Mediocre tier:

>Bad Tier:

>Shit Tier:
10-2
13-2

>God Tier:

Stopped reading. You have to be 18 or older to post on this website.

Play the original versions of IV - VI and go anywhere you like from there

When i was 12 i used to fap to Kuja not knowing that he was a man

thanks square

I heard good things about 10 though every now and then.

Is the remake on mobile or something? What's so good about it over 6 and 7?

I heard 9 was a great start as well. Can you tell me your opinion on why it is?

Vagrant Story? I'm interested in that as well since you liken it to mmo-like gameplay. I'm going to get the XII remake when it comes out because a couple of anons told me it's very similar to Xenoblade Chronicles and I absolutely adored that game.

Tried the demo. Was eh. Maybe I'll pick it up down the road for like $15 or something.

>FFVII>power gap>FFXI>literal shit>FFVIII

I only say that because VIII was garbage, and I'm aware of the issues with XI but it was far more enjoyable than VIII.

10 is ok. try it if you really need more final fantasy after playing the 6 on snes and ps1. might wanna try tactics too

>Constant limit break with high stats
>Not broken

People who say this are most likely over 18 by now.

9 is by far the worst simply due to how much of a fucking slog it is.

not after i teleport behind them and slit their throats muahahah

>I heard 9 was a great start as well. Can you tell me your opinion on why it is?

It was the first JRPG that i ever played, and probably is the reason that i love video games so much.
The game has a great set of characters, good pacing and a world that is alive, full of context and one of the best OSTs of all time.

It is a great start for someone that wants to get in FF; it is a homage to all the FFs in the past, and the favourite of the creatot of the series;

Also, Kuja is the villain of all the FFs

The nostalgia goggles are way too thick here.

Best villain

How long is it roughly? Is there a lot of grinding? I don't wanna go through hours and hours of grinding because I get stuck on a boss due to being underleveled.

You clearly have a different opinion on 9. Care to share?

I'd argue 8.
7 was good the whole way through, the materia system was awesome and the fights were good.
8's fights were cool but you were punishing yourself for leveling up which was retarded.
Also the story falls absolutely flat at the start of the third disk.
9 was okay, I never finished it so I can't really comment on its end.
Also
>not naming garnet garnet.

Kuja hit that nice balance of being power hungry but not totally insane. His objective was a bit crazy but not insane.

Much better than shit like Kuja "lol I'm so wacky blow up the world"

Overall?
VII.

VII has amazing high points, but falls deeper in others. It's a game of extremes

Zero grinding, the game has a great system for acquiring new abilities and an incredible pace. Just remember to always steal something with Zidane from battles when passing through a dungeon, it will make an ability of his stronger by the end of the game.

Thanks to PS1 grafix and those tiny illustrations in the manual, when I first played FF9 I mistook Freya for a badass goblin-thing with a pointy chin, wearing a red mask with a long 'nose'. It seriously made her go from my favorite character to my least favorite when I found out she wasn't actually some goblin with resting bitch face.

On a related note, I fucking hate the Freya furfags making it impossible to actually discuss FF9.

Kinda have to disagree on 9. Because it's a homage to the series, it feels weird to play it without enjoying enough of the other games first.

>wah i'm going to die
>i know, i'll take everyone with me!

How is this not insane?

>Zero grinding
retard
i love the game but be honest, you still have to grind for those abilities

>poser emo kid
So you never actually played the game?

>Zero grinding
I'm almost sold on this alone. Plus it's $5 and that's about how much I have on psn, as opposed to needing to put in another $5 minimum for FFIV.

Well from what I know about the series each game is a stand alone title. I'd rather not have to deal with the more sub par games and just enjoy the good ones if possible.

>7
> not god tier

Stopped reading. You have to be 18 or older to post on this website.

Oh god yeah they're awful

;I hate grinding too, so i always get them by just playing the dungeons. Never really stop the progress to gain lvls... Tahts why i never played with Freiya, never had the patience to kill dragons

VII was a shit tech demo with a horrible edgy plot. VIII was an even shittier tech demo with a horrible plot. IX was alright, but still boring gameplay.

X is the first game in the series to actually start having production value.

Most of 9's problems have already been mentioned. Characters getting sidelined very quickly and the slow battles are the biggest problems. Everything else deals with the nitty gritty that casual players can ignore.

And don't listen to any retard that thinks grinding is necessary in the genre as a whole.

Good Tier
every Final Fantasy game, especially your favorite. Unless your favorite is FF8.

Diarrhea Tier
FF8

This is a good opinion by a good user

You don't need them.

Ignore this 9 is a terrible game

of course you do. maybe not all of them but you still have to grind for the ones you do need