Help me Sup Forums. I want a new collectathon, like the good old days...

Help me Sup Forums. I want a new collectathon, like the good old days, but looking back there was a serious flaw in them, and that flaw was it felt too unnecessarily long. Levels could have great aesthetics, bgm, good controls, but the pacing was all over the place. Backtrascking was one of the biggest problems of this, when it came to changing forms, switching characters, and going back and forth to access the ares you couldn't before. What can conceptually be done to save this without altering the sandbox style of roaming, exploring, and collecting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VvT4g-e5T-o
youtube.com/watch?v=-3FSFxsVhJA
store.steampowered.com/app/401810/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

collectathon tier list:
>God tier - B-K
>Great tier - B-T, SM64
>Shit tier - DK64, Dark Souls

Is Dark Souls considered a collectathon? How come?

How is DS a collectathon?

I wouldn't call it one. But it being one could probably improve it.

Tooie is fucking great. Went back to it recently and it completely holds up; the backtracking wasn't at all a hindrance to the game play.

the flow is greatly assisted when you can travel to and from worlds easier, especially with the train. My biggest qualm with the game were that some powerups and moves felt like they became useless. such as normal eggs, beak barge, (whatever it was called, the Z+B ground move), and to a lesser extent the beak bomb. Those felt like they had say one or two uses, but were outclasses by the drill buster, grenade eggs, and fps shooting.
Also I was cool with notes being one time collectables, but I think the note nests AND treble cleft made it where there were hardly any in the stage.
How did you feel about those?

Not him but while I liked the theme of the levels, they were simply too big

I felt like some levels, say Terrydactyland, had many just empty spaces scattered around that were just unused or blank. I certainly didn't appreciate this. I think DK64 did this too, to a lesser extent.

>I want a new collectathon, like the good old days
...what is Yooka-Laylee?

Not sure. It looks promising, but I haven't seen much of it, just trailers. It's promising a lot, considering some people still have their nostalgia goggles on tight.
Now I've tried a Hat In Time alpha (or demo? idr), and that was pretty fun, sort of felt like more Mario 64/Sunshine-FLUDD, but I'm probably gonna get that.
Anyway I don't want to get my hopes up, but am pretty sure they, members of the old Rare dev team from the 4 days, know their stuff.

a collectathon we dont know if it's good or not.

im hoping that it does justice to banjo-kazooie

>64 days

Snake Pass comes out on the 28th next month, so you got that to look forward to.

Maybe if you have nostalgia for it. BK is my favorite game of all time, but playing Tooie it for the first time about 5 years ago was just disappointing. Levels are too big and unfocused, which made traveling feel like a chore even with warp gates. Bosses were a good addition though.

Now that game looks like it's got a learning curve
youtube.com/watch?v=VvT4g-e5T-o

Were there any ways you felt the game was improved from BK? Did you enjoy the new moves or felt them unnecessary?

Never heard of this game before until now, it looks cool and interesting.

Has anyone heard about that one collectathon that was on kickstarter A Hat in time? Is it officially dead?

same guy , haven't heard anything about it for a while. Don't think it's dead, but maybe in production hell.

Rare killed the genre by shitting out to many empty open world games that played at 20fps

Modern games have incorporated similar elements, such as DKCR, mario, and sonic but just collecting things is not meaty enough now to carry an entire game. It was a design philosophy used as a crutch because a lot didnt know what to do with 3D consoles

>at 4 minutes where he's climbing the bamboo pipe
Holy fuck this looks cool.

Did anyone else play this?

See I don't think you're wrong, but the only answer I can think to combat it is "remove teh sandbox", but that was also one of the comfiest parts of the 3d sandbox collectathon. The genre was riddled with linear caves and mini levels hidden away in the main levels, while they were cool idk if implementing more of them could save the genre.
I thought of doing almost a reverse Sly 2, and making it linear with pockets along the way of sandbox/open world, but that sounds kind of awkward.
Speaking of, has there ever been a 100% open world collectathon?

Grunty Industries is my favorite level ever.

mechanically or aesthetically?

Glover
Chameleon Twist
Toy Story 2
Jak 1
The Grinch on ps1
Bugs & Taz Time Busters
Duck Dodgers Starring Daffy Duck
Sheep Raider

DK64 is great

Stepping out for a few. Please keep thread alive.
Never. TLDR? Does it emulate on Wii homebrew well?

BGM is catchy and driving I like it.

Can't forget Croc and Gex.
and Bubsy 3d

Sounds like the 3D mario games or sonic unleashed, where each level is linear but there is little carved out areas that have things to collect or powerups. Maybe try one of those? A lot of ubisoft games have tons of pointless shit to collect. Sunset overdrive also had a lot of stuff in an open world.

Hell yeah. That game was great.

Oh shit yeah, both of those are cool.
Also 101 dalmatians puppies to the rescue, Monster's Inc Scream Team & Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 1 & 2

Small focused worlds. Easy.

What do you like better: selecting episodes for one prize at a time and going back to each level (3d Mario, Gex) or collecting everything in one go and not leaving until you choose to (Rare style)?

Comfy colectathon platformer with 10/10 music and a lot of charm.

I've never emulated it since I still have my n64 cart.

its better when you can stay in the level, although with mario, the levels changed around for some goals, so it was necessary

AGDQ did it this year.

Glover is pretty cool

youtube.com/watch?v=-3FSFxsVhJA

What if it never kicked you out of the level, and when you grabbed a star, the level altered itself to match the next prize? Ignoring the fact that some stars are almost in the same location? So its sequential, without the whole "leave and come back to the level"?

Is it me or is comfier music that sticks to you harder to come by? I see accolades for this game's BGM and yet I feel nothing to it.

The second by far. They would have to rework a few of the Mario 64 levels to do this but I would love to be able to collect all the stars in one go. Worst thing about the 3D mario series is that they really haven't adapted the ability to seamlessly transition from one goal to the next. It's an unnecessary time sink to have to be kicked out of the painting and then jump back in in 64 and that has only gotten worse in later installments. If I remember correctly, if you have 100% Mario Galaxy 2 then you have spent 2 hours of your life watching transitioning cut scenes. Absolutely unnecessary.

Yeah. I'm glad I found it to be quite honest.
Collectathon Platformer with no jumping has me genuinely intrigued.

Holy fuck I forgot about this game!

Bump

I liked having multiple characters in DK64, but I also didn't like how you needed to switch between them just to hit a switch with a face that anyone else should have been able to hit. Backtracking aside, the Kings didn't really control that different aside from thier power ups, which makes the really only reason to switch collecting different colored bananas and using a special punch, walking up a slope, etc.

Staying in the world for sure.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of those games that defines the entire genre because of how good it is, with most of its flaws being nitpicks that wouldn't make the game significantly better if you fixed them.
>The only level that requires backtracking is Freezeezy Peak because you need the Turbo Talon Trot
>There's no "out of" counter for Mumbo Tokens for true completionists
>There are 40 spare Mumbo Tokens and 18 spare Notes
>The last 6 Honeycomb shells don't do anything
>The Bottles Bonus puzzles have to be completed every time you load the game if you want to use the codes again
>Stop 'n' Swop items feel cool to collect, but it is slightly disappointing that they don't really serve a purpose
>It would be cool if there was some way to trigger seemingly random events like washing machine Banjo or game select animations
>Cheat code inventory would be neat after inputting them
>Also maybe an inventory for Brentilda clues

You could do all these things but I don't think it would make the game much better.

I did a 100% completion of this a while ago. Still a wonderful game but it felt a bit too easy and towards the end I felt puzzles had too many solutions (still have no idea if I did Grunty Industries the way it was intended). And fuck canary marry, just used a turbo plugin in the end.

damn i want to be a comfy snake, that would be a dream.

>like the good old days
you deserve to suffer

>I felt puzzles had too many solutions
I have yet to see a game that purposefully does this in a 3d environment

>tfw just realized Diddy Kong Racing is going to be 20 this year

I didn't need to know this, fuck.

Now Diddy Kong Racing was a perfect collection racer.
>Earned most of your prizes through winning races
>Silver coin challenge added variety as well as a more difficult game mode
>the boss races, while unfair and bullshit at times, were another great variety to the levels
It was fucking fantastic.
Only thing that was off was doing the trophy races felt redundant, but at least the AI was harder. Also TT is hard as fuck to get.

I tried to go back to tooie and a lot of the levels are crap. The movement isn't good enough to warrant the empty space.

Mario 64 is how to do one without being so boring.

If not, Glover was kind of neat.

Not trying to talk shit about Glover, but you have to admit the ball could easily fuck you over randomly.
Can someone remind me when you would use the metal ball, or crystal forms? I don't remember.

SM64 is a shit collectathon for the sole fact that you don't continue the level each time you get a star.

>platformer
>with no jumping

do you even think before you post nigga?

Yes, I do.
It is still a platformer.
You are traversing an environment using your movement abilities.
Your movement abilities happen to be "slither" and "climb."

to be fair you can constitute this as a platformer

what is captain toad
besides shit

metal ball: magnetic, smallest, easiest to control
crystal ball: doubled the point value of the collectables

This game was a great surprise. I remember it getting pretty tough as a kid.

the definition of platforming is to jump over pits to avoid death or other hazards. this is merely a crawling simulator where you look for shit and dont do any risky jumps. fuck off

a puzzle game. just like catherine, which some faggots also classify as a platformer. they can fuck off too

To this day, I can't beat the Kelp Forest Slide level.

Metal ball had more damage, magnetic, and I think easier to control. Crystal ball I believe floated and was way more fragile.

The only thing that would've made this game better is to have Mr. Krabs's actual VA.
Absolutely wonderful game for a growing boy.

It's been so long since I played it. I looked up the level list thinking pretty sure the dream level was the last one I got to, and I'll be damned it was the second to last one.

Poi

I refunded that shit.
There was just something about it I didn't like.
And also, the first level reminds me way too much of the first level of Super Mario Sunshine.

Lego Star Wars has a ton of collectables and a % completion counter but has linear levels.

Poi?

store.steampowered.com/app/401810/
It's basically a classic Mario 3D Platformer, but with low polish.
Has his entire classic moveset as well.

Ah that looks fun. for 15$ it looks not bad. I'll check it out sometime

I love the bonus collectables you dont hav e to get in the game but can. Like in Wario Land 4 you could get the CDs and unlock random music tracks, but not required.

There's some stages where the ball was the biggest issue of the stage, mainly heavy platforming zones.
Crystal Ball gave multiplies your score x2 when you collect garibs or lives
Marble Ball was easier to use underwater and you need it in some magnetic puzzles

ah that was it, thanks.
Yeah I think it was the latter circus levels and the pirate levels that gave the ball platforming a hard time. I will say the game was pretty good despite those small issues. Too bad the sequel never got made. One thing I'll never forget was the cheat code system.e

How would you change the characters controls in DK64 to better suit this?

Give the characters different functionailities. Different speed, jump height, mobility. Maybe someone can glide. Maybe someone can swim faster. Variety that's more than just a coconut or pineapple switch.

Funny enough, the kongs have actually different stats.
Tiny is the fastest character in the game, she can also float.
Diddy has the largest jump of all (if we don't count skid jump with Tiny).
Lanky is the fastest swimmer
Chunky has the strongest melee attack.
But i get what you're trying to say.

You know I often wondered that if the Kongs individually had different stats or were they the same. Thanks for that tidbit.
But no, I mean I'd like their natural characteristics to make the difference in character. Although I will add I'd make the game where different colors are collectible by everyone. It may ruin the individuality, but would be so much easier to collect.

What feels better to collect, items that there's a finite number established and you have to collect them all, such as Lums in Rayman 2 or notes in Banjo, or things that you rather try to go for a score and beat, maybe collect enough for a one stage objective, like coins?

That's what i was meaning, honestly i don't mind the kongs controlling the same or the character-specific items, my problem is the overuse of switch/pads and minigames makes the game redundant and hard to keep playing.
Is still one of my favorite games in the genre tho

See I know exactly how you feel. They made the game very redundant but they knew how to give games character. The music, cast, dialogue, level design, it was all very very pretty.
But really the more I think about it, maybe that was all that was required to flesh out a character back then. Think so, and we expect more nowadays?

I honestly do like the map designs, and I really like the ease of travelling given from warp pipes. In Mario stages they are much smaller where you don't need to warp, but I wonder if people will appreciate such small worlds if newer games continue? I'm actually greatly looking forwards to Odyssey because it's supposed to be a return to form for 3d Mario. Maybe then we can see how the future of 3d collectathons will play out.

I miss maps like these.
Honestly, I miss game magazines

post the other bios if youve got them

Confirmed DK is stronger than Chunky

Chunky could be the strongest kong, is just that he's more pacifist & coward compared to dk that knows how to use his strength.

DON
DON
DONKEY KONG

OOOO BANANA

Let's hope so, even I'm a bit worried after the last trailer.

why's that?