I finished Nioh and like... I loved it at the start but it falls apart as you go

I finished Nioh and like... I loved it at the start but it falls apart as you go

> You see every non-boss enemy by roughly the 1/3rd mark of the game, and spend the rest just repeatedly fighting the same mobs you know the entire moveset to already
>flaws in the level design really start to show in some of the mid-late levels as well. Room to move is important to a game like this, where a single dodge press throws you 5-10 feet in any direction at will, but they fall back on narrow corridors and cliff-heavy areas too often
>The story is mediocre at best, frustratingly pointless at worst. There's missions where you go out of your way to accomplish literally nothing, and it just feels like they ran out of ideas
>The setting is interesting but areas feel very same-y outside of a couple levels, and the lore given for regions never really varries from "it was a peaceful village then omg yokai!!11!"
>Plus I'm fairly certain, that at some point in development, the game was katanas-only. It's the only thing I can think of to explain the huge katana-focus of all the loot. There's like 15 different gearsets that have bonuses for swords, the kasurigama has 0 for example
>The game's difficulty fars apart less than halfway through, because you've seen everything the enemies have to offer. Yet you still get stronger and unlock new moves and abilities yourself, it just makes the same foes you've been facing even easier. Sure they get better stats but so does the player and it kinda cancels out.
>I unlocked the NG+ this morning, and while it makes loot (slightly) more interesting, I have no desire to keep playing it as it's once again just fighting the same enemies with slight stat increases rather than new moves or options

This game had a lot of potential, and I really dug it going in, but after the first 3rd or so of the game you start to see all the glaring cracks.

I'm at the third area, and I just did the twilight version of the water-shrine Umi-bozu level. I thought it was pretty hard. Even though it used enemies I've seen before, it puts them in new situations, which is complimented by the difficulty of the terrain.

People who complain about "falling" to their death are just retards who don't realize part of the gameplay is control over your movements--since the game is so much faster and more engaging than the Souls series.

>I loved it at the start but it falls apart as you go
So it is just like a souls game! Mission accomplished.

So, that's Nue down and fake Tachibana taken down, then real Tachibana ahows up and yeah that's about as much fun as hammering nails in with your forehead.

I suspected it would happen and it eventually did: I moved onto the next area and after ten minutes inside another uninspired cave level with - you guessed it - pick axe Yokai and the occasional Oni, I shrugged, switched the game off, deleted the save and breathed a sigh of relief.

Somewhere in there is a good game with solid mechanics and excellent character design, but each sweet nugget is buried beneath a stinking handful of bullshit that ultimately just isn't worth choking down.

Some are bound to argue that the difficulty makes the pay-off worthwhile and sure, in other games, I'd agree but not here. I walked away from each boss victory unable to decide if I'd actually risen to the challenge or just gotten lucky. Overwhelmingly though, the feeling was more of a 'thank fuck that's over' than a sense of reward.

The game's best parts are the levels themselves but the design, layout and art direction absolutely pale into comparison to other contemporaries, not to mention the essential brevity of each one.

The final short-coming is the overall presentation: a technically unimpressive showcase but for its lightning-fast load times, that despite the relatively small size of its environments, simplistic geometry and lack of post processing or other high-end effects is forced to half the native resolution in order to deliver a stable 60fps.

Honestly, looking at what's on display and comparing to other it's other games on the market, the compromises are genuinely hard to fathom.

Anyway, that's my mini review. I gave it a decent shot, but this one just isn't for me.

I've seen this post about 4 or 5 times this week. Is it copypasta from Reddit or NeoFAG or something

I agree with some of this, mainly the lack of enemy variety. I still think it's a great fucking game, and I'm still enjoying it in NG+, but I think the lack of enemy variety and some boring level design, is what held it back from becoming a classic.

But still, the game has been pretty successful so far. It's selling out in a few areas. So hopefully the developers will build upon the first game and iron the issues next time. They did seem to take a lot of player feedback to heart during the Alpha and Beta, so I have to believe the sequel will be an improvement.

Savage but literally true

and that includes Bloodborne

You can tell it's from Reddit by the spacing. It's a thing that ends up being common on Reddit because of their formatting.

I'm not done with the game yet but so far I agree with you OP. I know it might seem like a shitpost to some but the it's true. Loved it at first but then you realize that's all there is. Maybe the DLC will help a little, we'll see

Wrong.

Another felt this in any Souls game.

So right now i'm trying to connect to co-op but I keep getting an error saying, connection error has occured.

My game says i'm online and I can even go into the web browser though.

I have high hopes there will be a sequel with better multiplayer mechanics and enemy variety.
I assume budget is what led to the recoloring of the oni to make more enemies.
Hopefully a sequel will really flesh out on Japanese demons and stuff.
More daytime levels too. Jesus Christ, I'm more upset about constant nighttime than the repetitive levels.

Is this stun lock to win combat all rid game has to offer?

No Man's Sky 2.0?

Completely agree and I played all the demos and preordered. Liked the first half of the game and realized I didn't want to play diablo without build variety by the time I got to NG+

Dark Souls 3 got 10x better in the second half of the game though

No mans sky didnt even have multiplayer though

So dont abuse the debuff?

Dark souls 3 is actually my favorite of the 3 outside of the terrible pvp.

That's my point. It was advertised that it would.

I felt like it peaked at Sekigahara despite being fairly easy by that point.

is ng+ any fun?

feels like once you have red demon armor thats green off revenants you never find upgrades

10 x 0 = ??????

Not him but it disappointed me how everything was balanced around PvP and the PvE was only worth like two playthroughs while the PvP was garbage. I really hope they stop pandering to PvPfags with whatever they do next. 3 was a lot better in the second half though.

90% of the red demon armor I've found has been hot garbage. items cap out at level 150 so end game is about weapon autism you grind out for weapon skills to put on your arms and armor and spend your dosh re rolling stats until you make a set of gear that compliments your build.

Also doing yokai realm missions with randos in ng+ is bretty fun. Some of the bosses are more agressive and the levels have demo tier enemy layout

>DS3
>Everything is balanced around pvp

Didn't happen. Sounds like you didn't like DS3 and are looking for a scape goat to blame it on. Darn those pvp players, grrr! Us carebears just want a good game!

>Yamata-no-Orochi
This is a brave new world of abysmal boss design.
Rest of this game is great but holy fuck who okay'd this shit

> Some of the bosses are more agressive and the levels have demo tier enemy layout

Do they change that much? I really hate how easy the first playthrough is so far, my mission levels are over 100 yet it feel likes the game is still scared to throw any real groups at me even though everything but raven tengus have been a joke for I don't even know how long.

Yeah its pretty lazy/boring for a final boss.

True final boss isn't much better.

GRANT US EYES

That would be 10^0, not 10 x 0 you stupid cunt.

Mission level is not a recommended level, but rather an estimate of the level of loot.

the game is pretty great for being a modestly budgeted game, the glaring issues seem to be clearly stemmed from budget and time issues. people will shit on a game for not being a literal flawless masterpiece though, so whatever.

as it is, the foundation for Nioh is the foundation for a near perfect action game in my opinion. just hope Team Ninja will continue to learn and use the foundation they've made

if From could do half of what TN did with their much larger budgets we may already have had a perfect action game, but instead of building on what they know works From instead got lazy and regressed in most aspects of design with DaS3

I now can understand why people tend to compare Nioh to NG.

> Same level design (which does not work because it's a Souls game by design)
> Same pace (it kinda works, except with high stances because it's a Souls)
> Same boss design (average height enemies are good, big are just bad, I cried when I saw the centipede, it's trash and it reminds me of that shitty worm in NG2)

I know but that literally doesn't have anything to do with what I said, I can tell I'm nearing the end of the game because of the mission levels and the fact that my region menu is full and I feel like the game still doesn't want to throw more than one or two enemies at me even though it stopped giving me new ones forever ago and this is one of the reason's why people are burning out of their first playthroughs.

I totally forgot about the literal shit centipede.

>people will shit on a game for not being a literal flawless masterpiece though
Something should be flawless if it's $60 USD

Dangerous yokai don't often come out during the day.

Nah its not a major difference. Things are upscaled so they hit you harder but you will seldom encounter a challenge of more than two oni at once. Occasionally two oni and a goon or an archer.

I think the hardest thing I've encountered so far was two of the fire wheel guys. That was not a fun time. But if you dont have the autism to grind for armor and weapon upgrades it wont hold any water for you

>it's a Souls game by design
t. I never played Onimusha

there has literally never once been a case where that standard has held true, so maybe that's just your extremely optimistic opinion

>wheelmonks in tight quarters when they get the jump on you

Should doesn't mean it has happened. It still should.

>do the old flip & switcheroo
>pop it in the ass once
>10 seconds of free monk anal

Decent looking game.
There needs to be options to turn off all that damn bullshit on the HUD.

>1kat low stance can literally teleport behind you and unzip katana

Wheelies stopped being a problem for me once I got this

>Onimusha

Outside of its context, I can't see how it is closer to Nioh than Dark Souls (haven't played it in 15 years though). I mean, as far as I remember, it was feodal BTA Resident Evil.

>tfw Nioh 2 won't probably come out until 2019

Why is almost every game these days "a solid foundation for the next game." I just want a good game to play now damn it.

Oh, well I'm just a retard. There are some spots in one of the later levels where it throws shit like a tengu and a cyclops at you.

>fighting water slug boss
>getting fucked
>decide to summon someone to help
>first guy dies by the charge beam attack
>second guy falls into water
>third guy went out of the way to fight an extra demon and died
>fourth guy leaves halfway through the fight

Jesus fucking Christ and I thought I was bad

are there any weapons that have a grab? Enemies keep block spamming and its really slowing combat down

Some of them might just be tired of doing that fight. 9/10 times I get summoned for it.

>The story is mediocre at best, frustratingly pointless at worst. There's missions where you go out of your way to accomplish literally nothing, and it just feels like they ran out of ideas

Most of the story missions are based on fictionalized-but-real events from Japanese history.

It's Koei-Tecmo dude.

It's what they do.

>PS4 turned itself off when I loaded up Nioh

Should I be concerned?

sup nier shill

Even your PS4 knows it's best if you just don't play.
Take its advice.

It's not bad but I just got back into bloodborne so I've been playing the DLC which is so good. That blob boss was a pain too.

>PS4
Replace thermal paste and clean the fan immediately, that piece of shit has terrible cooling. Yes, all of them.

People are still learning how to do HD games without them being tech demos.

BB manages to keep up for the entire game, I found. I thought it got more interesting near the end, but maybe that's because I left the DLC for last.

>Using greentexftwrongly
Spotted the redditor.
Fuck off.

Fuku's ass is way too big

>all that filthy magic
For shame, Hanzo.

To this day the only game that I didn't take a huge break before beating was the first. I got 2, 3, and BB on the first day, played for 60 hours, got burnt out and finished them over a year later. Although I have Plat on BB and I'm 3 trophies away in the 2nd.

3 I'm still at ocelotte.

Any tips for getting no damage on Great Centipede?

Shitter just keeps coming at you head on with an attack

HD development was a fucking mistake. It feels like the talent pool for game devs got smaller for every step we took towards HD games.

I got a little bit of a dynasty warrior vibe to with how that over map is and some other minor things.

Block the head on, unless that doesn't count.

It's just that everything takes for fucking ever to do because of the scale of the games at this stage.

You could make a game that plays better than 90% of titles release in the last year back in the 90s with like less than 20 people. Less than 10 people probably.

>First week
>Rock the Ii clan with the armor in tow
>Second week
>Kato clan and 100 tank build
>next week
>Planning on going luck build with Murakami clan and pirate armor only

Is there any down side to constantly switching clans like this?

I had no trouble dodging that one shot laser solo but it's a bit tricky to do it co-op since you almost can't tell on which direction the blob is about to fire the said laser.

you can tell the look of disgust on William's stern Irish face whenever Fuku is around. that's why he goes for the 12 year old boy Okatsu instead

>go to help people for the umi-boze fight
>5 people in a row get instantly taken out by the water cannon at the start of the fight

whadda fuk

Don't insult androgynous flat-chests either.

the stats a clan offers gets increased the longer you're with them, and I think you lose out on the rewards from clan battles. not sure about that last thing though

You miss out on glory.
So no.

both extremes are bad
which is why Tome is perfect and also my wife!

>host and I are on opposite sides
>umibozu is doing its mega laser startup
>can't go left because there's a wall
>move towards the center a bit
>"you have parted ways with user"
FUCK

Luring that laser cannon away from squishy hosts is a full-time job.

use living weapon and hit him until he dies

that fight is far easier than it looks. use a fire talisman and run right up to him and beat his ass in low stance. his arms can't hit you when you're close and he telegraphs the beam and the bubble shit enough for you to just dodge out of the way. if you aren't an imbecile you can knock off two thirds of his health before he hits phase two which normally triggers at half. then when he hops into the center activate living weapon and finish him.

If he hits me during living weapon won't that negate the challenge?

Not him but the real challenge of centipede is hoping his dumb ass doesn't glitch into the level forcing a respawn.

far as i can tell 'getting hit' means losing health, seeing as how i've no-hitted multiple bosses doing exactly that

So what's the best combat Guardian Spirit? Taking into account their summon attacks as well. Paired Raiken is always a hot favorite, but Tengen Kujaku and Atlas Bear seem really good as well.

Atlas Bear let me cheese Kelley really easily, took a third of his health with 3 talismans.

Atlas bear.

Who Sloth-free here?

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks the side missions are absolute trash in this game. Seriously some of the worst I've ever played.

I'm free of all onmyo. That shit's easymode.

I asked for a Sloth nerf in surveys from Alpha, and they haven't done it

Granted, they moved it to tier 3, instead of keeping it tier 1, but it's still as OP as it ever was

Full ninjutsu here though, 60 dex, no regrets

I was until NG plus, now I can't help it. I pray they nerf it just a little like they did to my man infinite LW.

>Not just blocking it when he shoots the water beam

Dark Souls 3 is the opposite. Starts weak and ends strong, all other soulsborne start strong and end weak. Except 2. Quality is all over the place in that one.

Something tells me that would work out not so well for my build.
Nice hair, faggot.

>no regrets

I cant talk myself into ninjitsu there is literally nothing in the entire tree worth having other than more ammo