What's the best RPGs (western or Jap I don't care) that really nails the 'on a big adventure with bros' kind of feel?

What's the best RPGs (western or Jap I don't care) that really nails the 'on a big adventure with bros' kind of feel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ggFcFgDE4lI
youtube.com/watch?v=ljUAJarkSHA
youtube.com/watch?v=zXe7SZUSd2M
gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_one
gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_two
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The fifteen entry to the final fantasy series of games

>tfw all you want to do is play as a halfling but they're rare as hell in vidya

they're in 90% of every D&D game ever made and are almost always terrible

Gothic 2 NoTR

Dragon age origins

Dragon's Dogma lad

WoW has gnomes which are the same thing

I hate MMOs. I've played pretty much everything with halflings. There's nothing left.

Skies of Arcadia does the whole adventure feel very well. Just make sure you play the gamecube version.

No other game has come close.

Dragons Dogma

good lad

Where can I find more art like this? Is there a nerd database for western fantasy art? The women in these always drive my loins wild.

With bros you mean with friendship and that stuff?
I recommend you any Tales of game, you will like them. Start with Symphonia or Abyss, the best. It's fun and it has a lot of twist, a big adventure.

Xenoblade Chronicles fits too,one of the best jrpgs out there, a big world and fun interaction between the characters.

I will mention Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, classics from snes if you wish playing something from that era, big games from that time, still good.

Persona 3 or 4 also comes to my mind, it's a lot about friendships but it's not really an adventure type.

Phantasy star 4

sadly the easiest way I've found (barring just searching for an artist's name) is 'AD&D art' on Google

If you count conquering the world as a big adventure and an army of soldiers and retainers as bros

Neverwinter Nights 2 is an underrated gem.

Truly is and so is Storm of Zehir where I can be mega fantasy jew

is it possible to do a muscle wizard build in this game

are there any vidya rpgs where you can make a muscle wizard build?

>Dragons Dogma
>on a big adventure with bros
Nope. It's one of my favorite RPGs, but you travel with robotic pawns. They don't really have a personality (as they shouldn't) so calling them pleasant company is more than a stretch.

No, it isn't.

It's Mediocrity: The RPG.

Ironically, Dragons Dogma gets my vote, despite having shit and/or literally lifeless characters, no real interesting quests, very little writing (although holy shit Grigori is unbelievably awesome) and a pretty generic setting .....the immense sense of adventure comes from the raw gameplay itself, venturing into the unknown, overcoming ridiculous odds, character customization, facing off against genuinely epic enemies and party AI that while kinda obtuse....genuinely results in some fucking awesome emergent moments.

Mount & Blade is decent for reasons similar to Dragons Dogma, but it's not nearly as great in the Adventure department.

Dragon Age Origins, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Drakensang series are great if you want a generic D&D setting with solid writing.

Same goes for Baldur's Gate 1/2, Arcanum, Planescape Torment.

But seriously, give Dragons Dogma a try.

Whilst I disagree with virtually everything you've posted, you should have at least mentioned Dragon Quest VIII, that's a damn solid JRPG, just make sure to get it on PS2 or Android, 3DS a shit.

>OP asks specifically for games that give a feeling of adventuring with bros
>the focus here being the sense of companionship with them over the game
>despite having shit and/or literally lifeless characters
Huh. Truly activates you almonds.

Dungeon Siege 1, as it's basically one long journey from beginning to end. Yes it's essentially a straight line, but the fact that the game never has any load screens really does make you feel like you're moving through a country.

You sure recommended some shit games man.

Thanks, I'm finding very interesting stuff.

That's just Diablo 2 art

tfw ywn be a holy paladin smiting evil everywhere you go and drowning in divine pussy

>Pawns, the most boring hollow husks to ever companion a vidya protag
>Bros to go adventuring with
I don't think so, unless you like hearing how wolves hunt in packs.

That's Diablo 2 though???

TOUCH ME NOT I AM CHASTE

Did you know that I aspire to be king of this land?

Well fuck me I'm a dumbass

>Implying diablo's not gonna slay him and slay some pussy later

Only good taste in the thread.
Also radiant historia
If you want one like your picture it reminds me of Dragon's Crown.

>the focus here being the sense of companionship with them over the game

Stop putting words in OP's mouth.

If what he's looking for is that, that's cool, and Dragons Dogma absolutely does not have well written and deep characters, but it hands down will give you a sense of adventure that no game comes close to matching simply because most games rely on cutscenes and ham fisted dialog for their "epic" moments and sense of adventure, whereas Dragons Dogma relies purely on it's gameplay.

They're just opinions man, you don't have to like or agree with them.

This thread made me realize how few party adventure games I have aside from Tales.

>Stop putting words in OP's mouth.
>"that really nails the 'on a big adventure with bros'"
>"with bros"
>"bros"
Pawns are not bros, user. He was obviously not asking for any random RPG.

Final Fantasy IX

>mount&blade
>anything other than god tier

>Hear a lot about this game
>Check Amazon to see about getting it
>$70 for just the disc
>$100+ if you want the case and manual

You want Dragonlance artists and Thomas Lockwood, friend.

Hipsters. Why else do you think Cubivore goes for over $100 on ebay.

Dragon Age Origins is really fucking good.

Looks like shit man.
I don't think OP is asking for something like that.

It emulates fairly well. Check out dolphin and see if your computer can handle it.

Pawns are absolutely bros.

Name another game where your party members will save your life by catching you after a griffin or harpy drops you from a fucking huge height?

Or that will carry other party members to safety after being downed on their own?

Or that will diligently inform you as to preferred formation of Wolves?

>scientists will never discover the cure for taste this poor

I agree, I wish your taste could be cured.

Not theorically a RPG, but Resonance of Fate.
Even the english dub sounds like the party is just having fun every now and then.

>looks
>judging a game you haven't even played

Why would you disagree? I posted games literally about adventuring with your bros.

>Persona
>Adventuring

>plays game, it's shit
>It gets good 20 hours in.
>finish it, it's shit
>Why did you play it if you didn't like it?
We are dealing with these kind of people.

Reading comprehension user

>Persona
>Adventuring

Playing D&D with your friends, really.

>muh false equivalence
I don't talk shit about weeb games because I don't play them, even though I hate weebs. You can't call a game that you haven't played shit and expect to be taken seriously.

dragons crown

Because....

>most games rely on cutscenes and ham fisted dialog for their "epic" moments and sense of adventure

You're just going through the motions in most of those games, your adventure is going to be exactly the same as everyone elses, your "holy shit" moments are going to be exactly the same as everyone elses and the gameplay that connects those moments isn't terribly compelling, at all.

Persona 3/4 are text book examples of those problems.

Xenoblade Chronicles is the most lifeless SP MMO i've EVER played, the world building and sense of scale is awesome, but everything else is such a chore.

I see Dragon's Dogma mentioned a lot here, is it really that good?

Some people will tell you yes.

Some people will tell you no.

I've been told it's a mixture of Dark Souls/Monster Hunter, how true is that? If true then I'd probably like it.

comparing it to dark souls is pretty dumb imo, i dont think the gameplay is comparable at all and ive never played monster hunter

If you don't mind weebshit, what you should do is look into the Tales games. They have little mini-segments called "skits" where characters just chat with each other at numerous unimportant (but context sensitive) points throughout the game. This really hammers in the fact that these people are, well, people who are spending an extensive amount of time together. They'll annoy each other, joke around, discuss plot elements and their feelings on the current situation, or even just pointless shit. You really get a feel for the characters development over the course of the story.

youtube.com/watch?v=ggFcFgDE4lI
youtube.com/watch?v=ljUAJarkSHA
youtube.com/watch?v=zXe7SZUSd2M

Just uhh, avoid Zestiria if you're interested. It's pretty shit.

Legendia is worse.

I'd say that's a pretty apt description, although it really is quite unlike anything else.

But I would say that if you enjoy Dark Souls and Monster Hunter chances are you'll enjoy Dragons Dogma.

>Dark Souls
Who told you that? Aesthetically maybe. Or perhaps they meant from a magical standpoint.
>MonHun
I could see that.

Any oldfags in here can tell me about these ancient Forgotten Realms games?

gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_one

gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_two

>Who told you that?
Sup Forums

Another vote for Tales games here. The context-sensitive Skits are fantastic for establishing that these characters are people going on an adventure together and not just different options for party composition. There's fun post-battle dialogue too, like commenting on a status effect or the battle's difficulty or just goofing off. It's all-in-all a very warm experience that gets me attached to the characters very easily, even when their writing isn't always the best.

I have this possibly unreliable chart

Yo, this image is pretty fucking sweet.

The Might and Magic series

You know a chart is shit when early Wizardry and M&M are in low tier and Mass Effect 3 is on par with a game that would brick your hard drive when you uninstalled it.

What bitter 35-40 year old perma virgin made that chart?

Whilst there's no inherently terrible games towards to the top end of the chart, the mid and low tiers could use some serious reworking.

Shit also looks to be about 5-6 years old...not that much great has come out since then.

Is Planescape worth playing in current year?

Only WRPGs I've really enjoyed have been Knights of the Old Republic and New Vegas, but to be fair I don't play a whole lot of them.

Battle Brothers

If you're a storyfag maybe. I personally don't care for it.

Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 are great

I love this pic.

>girls are literally cowering in fear behind a pillar
>Barb's stone-age melee shit is nothing against big D
>Necro putting up a decent fight but lost his skellies and is gone get his neck snapped
>Paladin just calmly strutting into the room, giving no fucks and is about slap Diablo's shit.

I do enjoy story but is the actual gameplay good or at least serviceable?

depends on what you think about KOTOR combat

Yeah, I liked Dragon's Dogma but the whole idea of pawns seemed kind of antithetical to what I find appealing about party-based RPGs. The good thing about parties versus having a single protagonist is that you've got a range of characters with differing backstories and motivation that can interact or clash in interesting ways. But pawns are just tools who exist to help you both in and out of universe, so that entire element is gone.

Your grammar is that of a child, your opinion is that of a child... What is there to left?

What did you enjoy about KOTOR and New Vegas?

>thinks pawns are not bros because he doesn't understand the game's existential subtext
>mfw

I will drink from your skull you fealthy peasant!

The shit with Selene was pretty heavy.

As ironic as it may sound, I have to agree that the somewhat lifeless Pawns of Dragon's Dogma provide the best "adventure with bros" experience. You feel like you are adventuring with the players who created those Pawns.

No video game character in history has made me feel like I have adventured with an actual person anyway - Dragon's Dogma has come closest.

Writing, side quests and roleplaying.

Actual gameplay was serviceable but far from the highlight of the game.

>You feel like you are adventuring with the players who created those Pawns.
That's the most retarded thing I've read all week.

Wizardry 8 hands down.
The way your companions interact is simply memetic!

Then i'd say absolutely give Planescape a shot, but, first and foremost i'd suggest playing Arcanum and Vampire Bloodlines.

Nah, you simply lack understanding and the ability to read beyond words, what they could mean. Interpret that and you might understand - well, I wouldn't bet on that.