What is the real name of this genre?

In a few years, after the market has saturated and there are a number of games released similar to the Souls games, what will call the genre? Calling them "Souls games" or "SoulsBorne" seem like they will be kinda silly once there are a dozen or more series using the same style of gameplay.

My example is with Resident Evil: we don't call games in the genre " Resident Evil clones" we call them "Survival horror".

modern hack & slashers.

What's wrong with Soulslike? Works for Roguelike.

Roguelite, since there's no permadeath

They're just action RPGs.

Hack & slash

Nioh is not the same genre as the Souls games.

Souless cashgrabs

>My example is with Resident Evil: we don't call games in the genre " Resident Evil clones" we call them "Survival horror".
I call them Alone in the Darklikes.

Which also overlaps with fucking Diablo and Secret of Mana

Action rpg?

Monster Hunter clones are called Hunting games, despite PSO doing the concept first.

In fairness it has a Diablo loot system

action rpg

considering this game has the fucking awful ass diablo loot system, then it fits perfectly

Action RPG would probably be the most accurate name you could use, but people know what you mean when you say "souls-like" and that's reason enough to say it.

It's an Action RPG, you fucking autist.

Just like Dark Souls.

That shit ain't special just because other games are borrowing from it due to it's popularity and success.

It'd be like calling every modern big budget AAA FPS game a "CODlike" because they borrowed many of the elements that made that game successful in an attempt to garner the interest of it's audience.

>What's wrong with Soulslike?

hack and slash/character action existed long before souls games.

soulslike is still a good term because it shows that the poster is underage and can be disregarded

Action Rpgs you retard.

Action RPG

People like you need to be shot

Halo changed the genre more than CoD did imo. Games didn't do the 2 gun system before that.

correct. You could lump Diablo into a point and click ARPG sub-genre. Though Secret of Mana fits right in with them.

>What is metroidvania

let's not refer to nioh as a soulslike, or anything similar to souls at all

it's just the fucking Witcher 3 with less boring dialogue and slightly more punishing enemies in a Japanese setting

it's an ARPG you idiot

yeah, thats why sub-genres exist retard.

There's no role playing in Dark Souls you dweebs.

Dark Souls is just an action game with stats.

The point still stands.

Anyone who uses the term "Soulslike" is a huge, fedora tipping faggot who's trying to make his favorite game series look as though it's far more important than it actually is.

ARPGs are already a thing. It's what you call the Diablo/Torchlight/PoE genre.

Third person action weighy stamina conservy-like

And? Action RPG is a very wide and varied genre that basically encompasses any RPG with and action oriented focus and real time combat.

AKA exacrlt what Dark Souls is.

I don't like the use of souls as a genre, but Nioh is very clearly ripping a lot of shit straight from the Dark Souls series. Hell, even team Ninja admits it. It's games like Let it Die or Dragon's Dogma being compared to souls that is stupid.

Exactly, you fucking retard.

Dark Souls did not invent a new genre. The only thing that's arguably unique about it is it's presentation and execution.

Are you fucking cum guzzlers trying to tell me that Souls games are the same subgenre as fucking Diablo? Are you seriously telling me this, and solving the captcha as you do so?

Definitely an ARPG.

I personally think the Dark Souls series didn't really do anything revolutionary, just took common RPG elements and incorporated them into a hack and slash. I loathe Dark Souls but I'm loving Nioh. The depth of the combat system is way more rewarding to me.

yes, I'm a noob when it comes to both.

And what do you think the Souls games are?
If dodge rolls were any better in Diablo it'd be a fucking Souls game (with terrible rng crap).

Heh

People call games that rip off Monster Hunter's formula Hunting games or just outright Monster Hunter clones, and for a more ingrained example, all exploration-based sidescrolling games are still called Metroidvanias to this day, so people are probably going to call them Soulslikes or some variation on that for the rest of time, provided games like this continue to come out.

Not only is the purported "Soulslike genre" not hack and slash or character action, neither hack and slach nor character action are appropriate names for genres, either.

Stamina Action?

Stamina management seems to be the biggest thing in common.

Yes.

Dark Souls and Diablo are different in terms of mechanics, style, and presentation, but they are both RPGs that emphasize real time action where players have full controls over their character.

Kind of like how Wonderful 101 and God of War are both hack and slash games, despite one having a top down perspective and radically nontraditional controls.

Also, fun fact, if you google "Action RPG", Dark Souls is literally the top result.

The genre is ARPG. The subgenre is up for debate imo. Kinda like how DMC is in the action or hack n' slash genre, but its subgenre is Stylish Action.

Mine eyes deceive me

Nioh, Diablo, Dark Souls, even Destiny and The Division are RPGs with real-time combat where you directly control your character's actions. Action RPG. Having an isometric camera or randomized loot are not deciding factors.

My brain just doesn't like that. There needs to be more distinction.

3d Metrovania. Although Nioh is just a modern day Genji/Onimusha.

People have their head up their asses about DaS games. They're so barebones and shallow and so because you can play a game like Nioh the same way if you want to its "alot like it" or "Samurai Souls". When in reality if you play Nioh with a majority of its mechanics and items it feels almost nothing alike aside from the lack of jumping which was present in Onimusha/Genji as well for the most part.

3d action rpg is pretty much accurate or just action rpgs.

and the problem is what exactly?

And that's why I'd sooner call Nioh "souls-like." It's a retarded term but you know what I mean when I use it.

You should go see a doctor and get checked for autism then, as you obsession with the insignificant patterns that slightly differentiate games in the same genre and the compulsion to categorize them into extremely specific subgenres might be a legitimate symptom.

stop saying sub-genre, you asshole

MASOCORE
A
S
O
C
O
R
E

Sick Dark

The differences aren't slight to me

What specifically are those differences, user?

We'll just wait for a major company to give it a name like with MOBA so normies can understand it

Why? ARPG is the sub-genre and RPG is the dom-genre.

What about Dark Souls, specifically, justifies it being categorized about as it's own subgenre?

Aside from a few minor gimicks, it does nothing unique mechanically.

action rpg

Genres exist to be categorical, to separate things by difference and group things that are alike together. Action RPG barely has any meaning, partially because even separately, "Action" and "RPG" hardly mean anything at all. 90% of all games are Action games, because platformers, shooters, fighting games, beat em ups, etc are all "Action", and a large swathe of RPGs adopt the vast, vast pool of "Action" mechanics themselves.

It's all about GAMEFEEL. Diablo just doesn't have the same gamefeel as a Souls game

Hack and slash is Dynasty Warriors tho

RPG is the genre, Action RPG is tehe subgenre. As in it's an RPG game, with action game elements.

There's no need to go any deeper than that.

Newsflash idiot, games like Borderlands are fucking Action RPGs too.

Memefeel has nothing to do with it, and the fact that you could legitimately answer my question and defend your position just further drives home the point that you have no argument and there is nothing that separates Dark Souls from the typical Action RPG.

It's a soulslike.

Back when Doom was first released the term FPS didn't really exist. FPS games at the time were referred to as Doomlikes or Doom Clones until the term FPS overtook it.

MASOCORE
A
S
O
C
O
R
E

AN action adventure game.

But soulsbabbies truly believe the untalented hacks at from soft invented refillable potions, "press button to attack", rest areas, crafting

I just don't have the energy. I'm used to slow boards and Sup Forums is so fast and I'm getting too many (you)'s all at once.

>RPG is the genre, Action RPG is tehe subgenre

Why does this distinction matter? An Action game with RPG elements or an RPG with Action elements means the exact same thing, the best you could argue is that how you phrase it describes how prevalent one or the other is in the design. "Action" exists as a genre as is, completely separate from RPGs. There are tons of Action games with no RPG elements, so why does an Action game getting RPG "elements" absorb it into the RPG genre entirely?

Masocore is too generic since that would also apply to any sort of survival sim, Kaizo platformers and Danmaku games.

And the Souls games definitely do not rank up there with other Masocore games.

>Masocore is too generic
ACTION MASOCORE

Action Masocore also tells you shit and all.

Tetris also didn't invent the concept of tile-matching games. What make it novel was the way the system was designed and composed.

It's all about what the game sets out to do.

Dark Souls is an RPG first and foremost, but with combat mechanics reminiscent of an action game.

Please stop calling 3D action games "hack and slashes".

H&S is an old grognard pen and paper RPG term to describe campaigns with little content besides killing monsters in combat encounters.

For video games, H&S denotes Diablo-type RPGs - which focus on combat and character leveling as opposed to Baldur's Gate or Fallout which feature more complex dungeons and social interactions.

DMC is not a H&S - call it a 3D action game.

The thing is Wolfeinstein/Doom were the first of their kind. Genji/Onimusha had plenty of Souls elements before it did. Its basic combat was done in early Zelda games with the lock on off system and honestly the worlds are just 3d Castlevanias.

Souls games aren't original in any way every single mechanic from them is borrowed. I can't really remember many games that took currency to also level but im sure they exist but everything else nah

What other games are in this genre?

Souls games plus Bloodborne
Lords of the fallen
Kings field?

Is it just a focus on the combat controls and style or is it the whole killing shit to get to kill big boss monsters as well?

character action is one that I'm pretty fond of.

Action RPG

>Dark Souls is an RPG first and foremost
nope
The RPG mechanics are nothing but choosing which stats to level and which weapons to hold.

Character Action Game is the best descriptor for DMC.

It's a focus on style and deeper combat vs a typical 3D action game.

Plot twist: language evolves over time

FPS used to be called Doom clones though. But I agree Dark Souls and Nioh should just be called ARPGs because despite the great gameplay they don't exactly reinvent the wheel.

No, that's muso. Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, those are hack n slash

>Games didn't do the 2 gun system before that.

What? There were games that both let you have multiple weapons and dual wield before Halo. The fuck are you on about?

Several turn-based RPGs have Diablo loot system so it doesn't matter.
Genres should be how you play the game rather than its mechanics, like stating action time (RTS vs TBS) and/or point of view (FPS vs TPS)

Back when Dungeon Siege 1 was released I remember people calling it hack n slash, then some years later the term went to mean stuff like DMC but now DMC is 'character action' which fucks everything up

>seem like they will be kinda silly once there are a dozen or more series using the same style of gameplay.

Yes
Like roguelikes/roguelites
Or metroidvanias

These are surely action rpg games.

soulless cause I stole all your souls in pvp

OP you underage fag, ARPGs existed long before Diablo.

>my genre isn't as hardcore compared to this genre in the eyes of another therefor he should be shot.

>Genre
Action-RPG
>sub-genre
soulslike

Just like Metroidvanias are just action plataformers with some common game mechanics (open world-ish, have to unlock new abilities to progress to certain areas, etc...)

There are all kinds of perspectives when you talk about Roguelikes today, but Metroidvanias' features fall in line with several other kinds of games if you remove the perspective from it, such as Darksiders.

Genres are all fucked up

Most FPS games at the time let you carry more than two guns. Halo started the carry two guns thing because it was easier to balance the campaign and it was on console.

A lot of people say Souls is just third-person King's Field, but SotN was way closer to the actual aesthetics and gameplay.

We still call games that are like Rogue, Rogue-Likes

We will still call games that are like Souls, Souls-Likes.

It (and the Souls+Bloodborne games) are action RPGs 100%. They have specifically unique mechanics with how death and leveling up work and will probably be called "Soulslike" or something similar. Nioh isn't even the first game to use the framework and mechanics of the Souls games, it's just the first one that's not completely uninspired (Lords of the Fallen) or immediately forgettable (Salt and Sanctuary).

>tt assblasted former soulsfags are angry that people distinct soulslike gameplay from stupid action rpgs and calls it a different subgenre

You can't overestimate how souls games affected the whole industry in the last 8 years
Fuck me, it's already 8 years, where did the time go

Distinguish, user. The word you're looking for is distinguish.

Wouldn't it be more correct to use the term "Zeldalike" since the souls games take a lot of inspiration from the original Zelda and OOT?

well "hunting game" makes more sense when you are hunting big monsters. You can't just call it Phantasing games or Star games, and Online games obviously doesn't work

This. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say its a "role playing game." Like, I guess you can make different builds that have different skills and play slightly different from eachother. I dont think that really makes it an rpg.

Thanks, kind user!

Souls games plays nothing like zelda, tho. It more focused on character customisation and exploration, plus the battle system is much more complex. It's like a buffed Castlevania: Curse Of Darkness.

Action dungeon crawlers.