Why did no one ever try to copy this game's formula? I first heard this sentiment in a Ross Scott video on it...

Why did no one ever try to copy this game's formula? I first heard this sentiment in a Ross Scott video on it, but I think there's some truth there. There's lots of Diablo clones, but no one ever tried a DS clone where you get 8 simultaneous party members.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AxwCsV2nzTw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

2hard for dumb audience
better shit out another diablo or souls clone

Because second one is better

>2hard

Having 8 players made the game braindead easy because your skills could be set up so that you control one guy while the others did everything you needed them to.

yeah but only 6 though.

>why did no one ever try to copy the shittiest Diablo clone ever made
This whole franchise is utter trash, not even Obsidian managed to salvage it. Everyone who enjoys this garbage needs to be fucking gassed.

>salvage
>by removing the one thing people liked about the series

I can't imagine the game being beatable with only a single mage on anything but easy.

I feel like party based first person dungeon crawlers are pretty much the same idea, but from a different perspective.

Because DS's gameplay is insanely boring.

That's implying that other loot 'em ups aren't mind-numbing dad games too.

they aren't. There's a reason why we play Diablo-clones, not Dungeon Siege-clones.

Because Diablo was also exactly as boring, but came out first and capitalized on its mass appeal far better?

To be honest family, my most favorite boring dungeon crawler games are those lovely consolized action RPGs, like The Bard's Tale reboot and Champions of Norrath.

>There's a reason why we play Diablo-clones
Because brainlets like to self insert, so multiple characters is too confusing?

Being sued by microsoft must be tough

The only good Diablo-like game is the original Diablo.

>DAMN FOOL KRUG!

More likely, it's substantially easier to bug-test, design, and balance a dungeon crawler that only involves the player, enemies, and a small number of expendable hirelings compared to a dungeon crawler with upwards of four player characters, each of which being exactly as useful to the party as the others.

lol what?

the game plays itself

Too hard? Bruh there are LITERALLY parts of the game where you can walk away from your keyboard and if your character is set to follow enemies there's like a 50/50 chance he'll already be at the end of the area when you come back.

GOAT theme
youtube.com/watch?v=AxwCsV2nzTw

I loved Dungeon Siege 1. I wish for more 6-8 party member real time RPGs.
Fuck 2 and 3 for reducing the party size.

2 could have 6 members, you just needed to have already beaten the game or mod it in.

I think because people now expect all their party members to have a story and voice acting, it's easier to get attached to a party of 3 dudes who follow you rather than a squad of 7 dudes. It's also much harder to balance encounters and characters when you have so many of them.

All new Diablo clones are shit though, it would be great if we got something like Dungeon Siege but with less auto attacking and more micro managing, DS2 tried but they failed when they reduced the party size.

They should also copy the multiplayer open world campaign, that would be more interesting than playing the same railroad campaign multiple times until you reach max level so you can grind bosses to get loot.

I've been playing it recently, dungeon siege 1 is a good game, lots of fun and i love the level design.

But managing EIGHT Inventaries is too much, and i really don't want to come off as a normie when i say that, but like, you have to consider all the equipment pieces you have to set for each character, it get's overwhelming, specially since i opted for having a mixed party of warriors, archers and mages of nature and destruction, so i need to constantly check what items can be used by whom. Also surprisingly enough gold isn't necesarily scarce, but every piece of good or decent equipment is stupdly expensive.

I can't think of a way of solving this except simplifying the loot system, and then it stops being a Diablo Clone

>To be honest family, my most favorite boring dungeon crawler games are those lovely consolized action RPGs, like The Bard's Tale reboot and Champions of Norrath.

same. too bad those never took off.

Diablo is about addiction, not fun.

People can say all they want about how Fallout Brotherhood of Steel is an abomination to the series, but the gameplay wasn't bad.

The Bard's Tale would be almost unplayable without its writing.

wait, which dungeon sige is that? cause ds3 was complete garbage while 2 was pretty amazing

That cover is for 1.

That's the first one. The one that had a bunch of good ideas but implemented most of them pretty faultily.

It was the studio's first game, you can't blame them too much. DS2 showed how much they improved mechanically.

I'd say they improved in all regards. Dungeon Siege 1 didn't really have a plot at all.

>I'd say they improved in all regards

Not all, the fact that they made inventory and loot management better but cut in half the party size anyway peeved me.

These games are kind of hard to play. The steam versions have gutted features and they really just don't run well on modern operating systems.

Try getting Legends of Aranna to run on a modern operating system.

>Dungeon Siege 1 didn't really have a plot at all.
It had a plot, it was "fuck the Krug"

the mob decided they hated it, and now everybody hates it "because everybody hates it."

No it's because Dungeon Siege 3 killed the series hard.

DS3 is the Sticker Star of this series.

I really don't know what Obsidian was thinking with "1 playable character an an AI buddy". It's not like they don't know how to do multiple-character parties, they did it for NWN2

Dungeon Siege 3 is the perfect counterpoint to anyone who says that Obsidian is a 10/10 studio.

Their games generally being buggy as hell is enough of a counterpoint.

>I really don't know what Obsidian was thinking with "1 playable character an an AI buddy"

They were thinking "How do we make multiple buddies work on a console?" and the answer they came up with was "We can't" so they didn't bother trying.

You can apply that train of thought to everything wrong with an Obsidian game, really.

>They were thinking "How do we make multiple buddies work on a console?"

L2/R2 to switch between control of them?

Because it wasn't very good.

Poor fellas never saw X-Men Legends or Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, I guess.

A weapon wheel style system would probably be faster and give you room for eight members.

Fuck now I remember that the movie exists

It's really depressing how hard Dungeon Siege tried to become a household name, and failed at every attempt.

Did anyone else ever try 8 fighters just to see what would happen?

it's surprisingly beatable, but involves a lot of potion chugging

I think that the Diablo style randomly generated loot system doesn't gel with a large party size.
It's clear they kept the stats system very simple, but then put all the bloat on the items. If they were to reverse them so that you build each character based on their stats, and then had static items to look forward to, you'd have a better variety of character builds. Basically going from a Diablo type game to a Tactics/Wizardry/whatever party dungeon crawler type game.

Instead of sifting through all the junk on the ground and checking to see if the new rare Sword you found will be better of any of your guys, you go and do the quest that earns you the one and only Excalibur which will go perfectly with your paladin-type character you've been training. You won't find a second one (until NG+), it will be unique to your one guy.

I've never liked the random procedural loot concept. 99% of it is junk, you spend a lot of time wading through garbage, and you'd generally end up beating the game several times over before you eventually find something really fun and game-changing.

Randomly generated loot drops also make all equipment vendors in a game useless. There's no reason to buy anything since you'll just find better stuff the second you get out of town and because of that there's no reason to sell anything since you don't need money to buy things.

The only thing good about Dungeon Siege was it's music.

Maximum comfy ost

Your forgot about the glorious flying gibs in Dungeon Siege 2.

Thats not even true. I think I used an item I bought for 2-3 worlds at least, and I used the healthy boots all game because archers have incredibly bad itemization.

I used to enjoy hotseat ( I remember when somebody spawned high level chicken mob that killed everyone, meanwhile I sneaked in and stole some good gear ) back in a day. Also it had good atmosphere that made slaughter all the more better.

The best buyable items for each town were generally better than anything you would find in the field until after the next town.

Good taste.