Whatever happened to this fangame?

whatever happened to this fangame?

I havent bothered with sonic since my dreamcast, this was the first decent thing I saw from the franchise

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7Pjvom8ezmo
youtube.com/watch?v=DOKCk1IY6M4
twitter.com/GreatLange/status/831947513305247744
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

go shill you're crap tech demo somewhere else faggot.

I remember the main guy had a mental breakdown after Utopia got more attention and positive responses.

>Utopia

what the fuck is that?

I know you're fucking with me but I don't give a fuck.
youtu.be/7Pjvom8ezmo

Literally only one empty and big fanmade Sonic level, yet everyone praises this as teh best Sonic game evah!!1! that tops all of Sega's Sonic games.

The superior tech demo

I just googled it , it looks great. Im not much of a sonic fan and spend 0 effort, I didnt think more than one loser would be making this shit, but in hindsight I guess it is the fucking sonic fanbase.

it looks so sloooow though. The webm I posted he actually goes fast enough that the action might outpace your reflexes. Can someone sell me on utopia?

Sega has been making the gameplay simpler and more constricting for a while now, fuck em. Im getting older and more jaded by the day. I cant go back and play my shitty childhood games because they suck and the new stuff is terrible too.

But it is BETTER

>no furry faggot avenger squad
>no retarded gimics like guns or super mario galaxy physics
>no BOOOOOOST ie press X and watch the movie play

Its just a good platformer with speed physics. Which is all we fucking wanted

>Its just a good platformer

What platforming? There's barely even any of it present.

>no furry faggot avenger squad
nigger, it's a game with anthropomorphic characters. to try to sound like you're anything special because you hate furries.

Look how big and empty your webm is. Utopia's pace makes the levels work smaller which allows for actual platforming to function. This is important.

I just really don't like his slow top speed from stationary position. And having to stop to do it really breaks the flow.

Sonic can charge the peel-out while in the air. The game gets to a pretty good pace, you just have to earn the momentum. You should try the demo out. Be sure to turn into a ball while going down slopes to gain speed.

get to the next area nub

wow haha you roll on slopes hes a hedgehog and u get the momentumz man thats so cool :) literally the best 3d sonic ever!!

I tried it out but only went through the course once in about 7-10 minutes. I admit after watching a speedrun it looked a lot better but I still think he needs more speed without momentum especially in big open fields.

Lol a breakdown? Fo real? No one must have liked him at school I guess

Don't even try. All the autists obsessed with this tech demo are rallying around the buzzphrase "earn the momentum" to spite mechanics in more modern sonic games.

They want him to move slow as dirt by default as a contrast.

THIS

The better you play the game the faster you go, making it more challenging therefore more rewarding for the player if you can maintain your momentum withouth falling off the path or into water.

Press x to light speed autists have had such easy access to speed they actually think sonic moves slow in Utopoa when in reality it's perfect for noobs/speedrunners to control Sonic.

maybe at least make a boost for very open parts that's really the only time I have a big issue with it.

Like I said having to do a full stop to charge up is just bad design.

>move slow as dirt

You mean the speed he ran at in Sonic 1-3?

Yes, the speed he ran at on a 2D plain in which you couldn't see ahead of you and preemptively dodge obstacles.

He ran pretty fast in relation to the level size and it felt faster at his top speed(think chemical plant) than anything in utopia.

Just ball mode down any slope and you pretty much run at peelout speed without having to stop.

Even in the dev video he stopped to peelout. I think even the speedrun vid.

If you play the game well you only need to do one peelout at the very start.

youtube.com/watch?v=DOKCk1IY6M4

gotta go fast

It's excessively big regardless. A platformer should be designed so that the level tries to impede the character's progress. By skillful usage of what the gameplay offers you, you should be able to overcome those obstacles and reach the end goal.

There are no obstacles here. Enemies are pointless and there are too many easy methods to reach your objective. That's the difference between a tech demo meant to test physics and an actual game. It's hard to get excited about something like this because it's not even the first of its kind, and it probably won't be the last either. Every single fanmade 3D Sonic "game" was just a physics tech demo. None of them were ever true stages.

Pffft clearly too slow. Why can't I press x to go faster?

I misremembered on this video. Even peelout looks faster than I remember. Gotta put more time into it and see if my opinion changes. Is this a final level by the way? It doesn't feel like one.

you dont press x, instead you hold down and tap a sometimes :)

The lead dev addressed this in an interview that the actual levels will be more linear and not as free-form as the tech demo stage. If you want a small example of some challenge, there's a secret area behind a dammed waterfall that requires actual platforming.

That's dandy and all, but it still doesn't change the fact that this project's probably been abandoned, same as every other project of its kind.

Yeah if the level size was a bit linear and there more enemies then it would be a proper game.

All I know is this is the best sonic I've ever controlled, generations style he goes way too fast for any actual platforming to happen.

Looks like they're still working on it four months later. twitter.com/GreatLange/status/831947513305247744

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a big open one for each zone like a playground and then a more linear one for zone 2.

But yea, the demo felt more like an open world where you would have challenges/collectibles or something.

What is this?

What's wrong with earning your speed? Besides, Sonic moves at a fine pace on a flat surface.

Alright. Let's see how far this goes, then.

I won't hold my breath, though. If history's taught me anything, it's that most indie projects and fangames are lost causes.

Tru but AM2R got me real fired up

Nothing gets me fired up anymore. Not until I see at least two trailers and a solidified release date.

>expecting some kind of exhilarating high from playing a platformer
I think that this warped mindset that has got a hold of the masses is doing a lot of harm to not just sonic, but other games in general. What is it with these forced expectations? They seem so arbitrary to me.
I don't get the same kind of rush as I would playing Burnout, but it does feel good in its own way to maneuver through the zones.

>this was the first decent thing I saw from the franchise
this just in

none of our opinions really matter

I un-ironically like Sonic Adventure 1

tooby ahnust I used to complain that fastfags ruined sonic but I have come to appreciate blazing speed in games

although I prefer games of old to new they can feel really sluggish to me without a sprint button

play crackdown and then gta4 right after