"Sonic was never good"

"Sonic was never good"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RAySLwviwmg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So true

woooow how was I supposed to know to hold right?

I still can't believe sonic mania exists as an official product. They listened.

This infuriates me beyond imagination.

Sonic has better music, aesthetic and animation than Mario. Mario just has better controls.

It also has better games and a better fandom.

>fandom
the word is fanbase, tumblr.

listened to nostalgiafags
they should have just remastered sonic 1 - 3k, because that's practically what Mania is

They already remastered Sonic 1, 2 and CD. 3K is never happening because of music rights issues and frankly Sonic 3 Complete would be better than anything official anyway.

"Tails was a mistake"
-Yuji Naka

>they should have just remastered sonic 1 - 3k, because that's practically what Mania is
Nigga that's a terrible idea. They already remastered Sonic 1, 2 and CD. They should have done the complete opposite - focused on the new zones and scrapped the idea of the revamp zones entirely.

These people think they are any kind of authority on vidya

I'm almost certain IGN play Sonic like shit on purpose so they can say it's worse than it is. I've seen multiple instances in their Sonic Lost World (not that I particularly care for that game) and Unleashed videos where they blatantly play the game wrong and blame the game. And it worked, for many of the 3D games, but they can't pull the wool over peoples eyes with the classic physics. They've given their game away.

link for the original video please ?

IGN.com :^)

yeah nevermind, I found it
youtube.com/watch?v=RAySLwviwmg

Finally someone says it

>they do it again on the second loop
lord have mercy

did they switch players or something? whoever was playing through Studiopolis actually looked like they had touched a Sonic game before. You can audibly hear the booth guy telling them how to spindash when they keep fucking up that GHZ loop

I bet the person playing that was like

>why do I have to keep playing and keeping up this charade I just want to write about how straight white men are evil

HOW DO I SPINDAASH

WHAT IS A SPINDASH?

>WHY CANT SONIC SPIN?

Let's be real here. How were you supposed to know how to spindash?

>giving them views

every sonic game

It's in the manual (remember when games actually had those and people read them?). Also Sonic is a one-button-plus-dpad game so you'd eventually discover the spindash (and peelout if CD) as a kid by pure accident even if you were hypothetically an inhuman monster who didn't read the manual in the car as your parents drove you home from the store.

But the shocking thing about the video isn't that the player doesn't know how to spindash. It's the fact that they had enough momentum to go through the loop without the spindash but kept pressing left at the apex.

Why does he keep stabbing himself in the eye? Someone please stop him.

Fun fact:

There are more side scrolling Sonic games with bad momentum and homing attacks than there are without

Thanks, DIMPS.

you find out by accident or simply experimenting

the game's limited control scheme, means that you'll eventually try to see what happens when you press jump while crouched

it took me seconds to learn you could do this in Sonic 2 when I was a kid

the thing that makes sonic shit is the fact that you go so fast and cant see far enough to the right that you just end up running into shit all the time. you shouldnt have to trial and error or remember a level to play it a second time for it to be fun.

give sonic to ANYONE for the FIRST time, and get them to complete a level without stopping, pro tip, you fucking cant.

>the thing that makes sonic shit is the fact that you go so fast
Your reaction times are shit
>cant see far enough to the right
Rectified by the Widescreen remakes and Sonic Mania's widescreen. Also rectified by Sonic CD's camera system. Hopefully they'll include that as an option in Mania.

>get them to complete a level without stopping
>you shouldnt have to trial and error or remember a level to play it a second time for it to be fun
>literally "if you can't complete a level without stopping, it's not fun"
Go away boost baby.

It's in the manuals
It has been a staple of the series since sonic 2
With such a simple control scheme a fucking 4 year old could figure it out without any guidance

Because sonic was made for genesis while mario was for NES. The successors titles really dropped the balls on SNES. Sonic was better at SNES level because Super Mario World sucks balls if compared to the other titles.

The guy playing is literally That Kid from school you let play your Genesis.

>Kid drops out of a loop
>"No no just hold right"
>Approaches loop again with speed
>Falls out again
>"Dude just keep holding right."
>Approaches the loop again
>See his thumb crane to the other side of the d-pad and he falls out
>"What are you doing? Just keep holding right!"
>"I AM! THIS GAME JUST SUCKS!"

>cant see far enough to the right
one of the few legitimate complaints about sonic I guess but it also applies to many other platformers including mario
Sonic's levels are also built to flow nicely so you rarely every get stuck on anything
freedom planet 2 has a feature that zooms the camera out as you speed up which is pretty neat

>I have to run without stopping on the first run for a level to be fun
Why are you playing like this anyway? There's no wall of doom and the time limit is plenty long. It's a platformer, just get through the level.

If you add this with crazy final bosses that are a drag to get to and don't show any apparently weakness and no save feature (passwords), it made playing the game a drag because of the unnecessary trial and error (You had to beat the whole game just to fight the boss again and find out his moves and weakness).

I understand that this was the norm for the time and even more for Sega genesis, but that fucking shit made impossible to clear the game if you had limited access to it;

this is a true statement

>If you add this with crazy final bosses that are a drag to get to and don't show any apparently weakness and no save feature
>bosses
>plural
Just come out and say that you're talking about Sonic 2's final boss, lad. I'll admit, that thing got to me as a kid too. Sonic 1 had an easy final boss, Sonic 3K had a save feature, and Sonic CD had both an easy end boss AND a save feature.

I meant the metal sonic and robotnik.
>you just have to hit him in the forehead
I don't even know why I'm still angry about this shit 20 years later.

>I don't even know why I'm still angry about this shit 20 years later
I don't blame you, I'm a Sonic autist and even I get vexed by Sonic 2's final stage sometimes. Silver Sonic isn't so bad, but the combination of no rings and the quite precise hitbox on the giant Eggman robot makes it quite the bastard to beat.

It's even worse if you plug it into Sonic & Knuckles. Knuckles has a slightly shorter jump than Sonic which makes it hell to hit the Eggman robot's sweet spot.

I only ever played Sonic 2, and while I was interested in the concept, I think the level design destroyed the pacing too often. Having to wait for platforms to move, or objects to move out of the way, just seemed so wrong in a Sonic game, and even when I later watched speedruns of those stages the runner had to stop, so it wasn't just some case of me not knowing the game enough. Plus, Sonic's controls suck ass for platforming.

But what I have seen of Sonic Mania so far seems like it eradicated those problems I have. I think I am actually interested in an upcoming Sonic game for the first time of my life.

If you are willing to sacrifice platforming (or have it moved to another character in this instance), sonic advance 2, sonic rush and its sequel, and sonic unleashed by far are the fastest games in the series. As far as genesis styled games go though, mania looks to miles ahead of them for the reasons you said. The level design has so much more flow and looks more rounded and smooth overall. That problem you had with sonic 2 is amplified in sonic 3 and that is often called the best sonic game. Stay the fuck away from that one

The "Sonic was never good" crowd always seems to treat the game like some big hypocrisy, where Sonic's gimmick is to go fast yet doing so in-game gets you killed.

Why? How has this ever happened to anyone? Are you just bad at games or something? Are platformers supposed to be slow, floaty affairs?

I don't think I understand what this image is trying to convey

It's primarily the domain of people who watched the cartoons, got brainwashed by Sega of Amerishart's marketing or fell for "hold right to win" and are upset that this isn't actually the core of what the games are about. See and who for some reason believe that STOPPING in any form or doing any kind of legitimate platforming is somehow counter-intuitive to what Sonic is really about.

Reminder that in Japan, Sonic was "The World's Most Famous Hedgehog", not "The World's Fastest Hedgehog".

Ready for the shit show?

What am I looking at?

>Amerishart
intfaggot pls go

I'm a burger who grew up on sonic and love the genesis games more than anything

IGN a cute. A CUTE!

user, I have read these discussions online a lot before playing Sonic 2, and tried to approach the game very much open minded. My complaints are purely on a gameplay basis. Having to wait for something to move isn't a plus in any game, especially in a platformer that is all about movement. Every instance that you wait for a giant object to move out of the way means you not playing the game.

And Sonic's platforming controls are really slippery, which is a concession to be made for the momentum mechanics, but a concession none the less.

I'm not saying these passages absolutely ruin the game. I am aware that those are my personal complaints, and I also think that Sonic is a great concept with a lot of interesting stuff. I just think there are flaws in the level design that break the flow of the game, atleast for me.Sonic Mania so far seems to lack these flaws.

Plus, I am not American.

I'm not even surprised at this point. It's like they were all Nintendo kids in the 90s and the school bully who played Genesis beat them up. They never got over the console war.

>Grown adults seriously analyzing/discussing 80s/90s games that were clearly made for children.

Just cease existing you colossal autists.

Why are you even here?

>Having to wait for something to move isn't a plus in any game
Moving platforms and crushers that you have to time jumping on/over are literally a staple of the genre.

Besides which, I can't even think of any genuinely flow-breaking moments like what you're describing. Could you name a few examples?

>Grown man posting normieshit memes for kids

You're even worse.

Do you even know where you are?

Dat Boi is one of the worst, most unfunny, forced memes of all time.

But Pepe isn't right?

I'm not the frogposter, I think pepe is pretty shit as well.

There's a good fucking reason why Sonic never became as succesful as Mario. It's because the games are fucking shit.

>wanting more remakes

What the fuck happened to this place?

There was a time when Sonic was more successful than Mario actually. Though Donkey Kong stamped that out.

>IGN
Really blasts my processors.

Yep, still is

it's true

(You)

>they should have done what they're basically doing right now

What did he mean by this

But Sonic has good cartoons, right?!

Man I hate how s3 gets out on a pedestal. What a boring fucking sonic game. Although I liked the S&K stages. They were much much better

Mario fanbase seems just as autistic as Sonic's. People chose to ignore the Mario fandom though because Sup Forums consists on nintendrones and Sonic had a few bad games. (which is weird, because Mario has bad games too)

They right. Sonic was never good.

Does Mania not have the spin dash?

Sonic fandom is weirder

It does have the spin dash, IGN are just too retarded to use it. In the full video you can hear the booth guy explaining how to use it after they keep fucking up the loop

I look at both fanbases and see no difference, other than one gets ridiculed for Sonic 06, and the other one is ignored because "There is nothing wrong with Mario"

With Mario the screen scrolls with the character closer to the center of the screen. With Sonic it scrolls with him being more to the right, which gives you a more limited view of incoming enemies and obstacles.

nah, Media outlets just like to focus on Sonic's autists for some reason while conveniently ignoring Yoshi feet sniffers

to be fair, mario literally never had a bad main series game

Honest question here: was Sonic 2 the first platformer you ever played? Because your complaints are regarding the very things that make platformers what they are. Having to wait for something to move doesn't mean you aren't playing the game.

dumb frogposter

>tfw to intelgigent to reply to bait

Mario never dipped down as deeply as Sanic.

it was not a bad game unless we're using Sup Forums's rating rules where everything under 85/100 is terrible and trash

Pic not related

STOP LETTING IGN PLAY VIDEOGAMES GODDAMNIT!

I don't see Mario fans throwing fits over the color of Mario's eyes or stupid shit like that

to be honest Sonic's fanbase wouldn't be mocked by normies like Mario fanbase if Sonic wasn't categorized under the furfaggory.

The NSMB games are trash and are on par with the worst Sonic games.

They did over the new hat

This!! I love sonic, but this is so true.

I've seen plenty of bitching about Mario getting skinnier over the years and Yoshi getting more humanoid

Or at least, I've seen as much of that as I've seen of green-eyes bullshit - which honestly isn't all that much. That was a VERY vocal minority of Sonic fans

FUNNY FACT ABOUT COMPUTER GAME

SEGA were planning on naming Sonic 4 as "New Sonic The Hedgehog" to rival New Super Mario Bros. Fortunately nobody at SEGA was retarded enough to put "New" at the beginning of a game's title.

I've seen more people talking about Sonic fans bitching about green eyes, than I've ever seen people unironically bitching about the eyes. And I've been part of the Sonic fanbase for a long time.

There's also the Mario cartoon autists that freak out if you say Mario isn't from Brooklyn.

see: MovieBob