God what a shit game. Crash was never good...

God what a shit game. Crash was never good. The only people who think it's good were poorfags who couldn't afford N64's and were stuck with their shitty PS1's and are consumed by nostalgia. Or were too young when the game's came out and just think he looks cool.

>making a thread about a game you hate

why so bitter user ?

well meme'd my friend

Why do video game animals only wear one article of clothing

Rossiu did nothing wrong.

Thank goodness the sequel improved everything.

>tfw grew up idort

>copypasting bait posts to get (You)s

This really made me angry. You know, it just doesn't sit right with me. First off, you're calling this game bad. Well you're wrong there buddy, because it is art and art is subjective. Secondly, ever since I saw the commercial of the dude in a crash bandicoot costume I have been sexually attracted to him. I don't know why, but Crash is the best piece of ass to ever grace video game mascot status. You're objectively wrong.

Kill yourself.

no. u

OP is a faggot

I know this is probably bait, but the fact some people have this idea is saddening.

>People say all modern Sony does is make games that are like movies (That's for another discussion but regardless, the sentiment is there)
>They try to bring back a 3D Platformer series that isn't like that.
>"Crash was never good!"

>N64
>good
haha

Addendum to this, it just feels sad that people will snipe at Crash.

I know this is a joke thread but I genuinely didn't understand the hype for Crash back in that era. They didn't have the depth of platforming that a 2D platformer of the 16-bit era would typically have, yet they didn't have the free camera and open exploration of a true 3D platformer either, like Mario 64 did which was released months prior to even the first Crash.

It's since grown on me and I'll now admit that it isn't the WORST thing in the world, but at the time it struck me as the worst of both worlds.

You know, Crash isn't the best platformer. Especially Crash 1, I'll admit that. But they're not what I call bad games either.

>They didn't have the depth of platforming that a 2D platformer of the 16-bit era would typically have, yet they didn't have the free camera and open exploration of a true 3D platformer either, like Mario 64 did which was released months prior to even the first Crash.

Not every 3D Platformer has to be like SM64. I love that game but different games/series can afford to be different things. Crash's strength's lies in the obstacle course like structure and the variety they throw at you in the series. You can argue that there are games that do a better job at that, of course. I'm not denying that. But the Crash games are definitely at least competent and solid. They have some flaws, but the same can be said for every game and everyone and everything in existence as well.

>Not every 3D Platformer has to be like SM64. I love that game but different games/series can afford to be different things
But that's precisely it. It didn't make great use of the third dimension, but I would have been more okay with that if it at least stood up to some all-time 2D greats like Yoshi's Island and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. As platformers go, it just didn't necessarily have anything very compelling, CERTAINLY not in Crash 1 anyway. I'll admit that I had a much better time with Crash 2 and 3.

Crash 1 being their first game, you could see what worked and didn't worked and they went on from there for Crash 2, and then eventually 3.

>It didn't make great use of the third dimension,

What would it have to do, to make great used of the 3rd Dimension? I mean you can argue trying to make a game like SM64 but for Crash at this point for Naughty Dog, they be too inexprienced at this point (as by Jak & Daxter they felt confident and experienced enough to try). and the game could have been worse arguably compared to what we did get in the end.

>but I would have been more okay with that if it at least stood up to some all-time 2D greats like Yoshi's Island and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Those are some high bars in general. I mean hell, do Rayman Origins, and Legends stick up to them and they're fantastic games? Does DKC Tropical Freeze stand up to them? Etc, etc.

Like yeah there are 2D Platformers that are better then Crash. I won't deny it. But that doesn't inherently make Crash not worth the time.

I honestly don't think they ever topped the level design from 1. Everything about it was so fiendish yet brilliantly designed. I mean fuck check out Sunset Vista's beta level; they really went all out there.

You guys ever wonder what else shitposter do besides made shit threads on this site?

Nice troll

Yea, he was a fucking faggot.

This is pasta you dinguses

it's dingi

>N64

enjoy your RPGs that claim to be platformers

The first game is entertaining but mediocre. Crash 2 and Warped is where it's at.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have been infatuated with Aku Aku. His baritone island voice always sent tropical chills down my spine. As I grew older I found that I was only interested in boys with African accents and wooden faces. Each night, before I go to sleep I eat an apple and kiss the 6ft wooden statue of his glorious face that I keep in my bedroom, then softly speak the mantra of my totem god; "ooga booga, ooga booga, ooga booga".

It's also the unavoidable fact that Crash was designed to be played on a controller with exactly zero means of providing analogue input.

A lot of early PS games (Crash, RE) had really shitty 3D for that exact reason, they were hamstrung by a major limitation on the control interface.

The only way to make 3D work with that sort of input schema is to do like Doom did and do camera-based steering, which of course crash didn't do (Tomb Raider did, IIRC).

The game's bad 3D design is a direct result of the levels demanding a grid-based linear layout because the player can effectively only move in 4 directions. The reason it looks so bad in the light of Mario 64 is that Mario could move freely which gave them a lot more freedom with their level design, which they made wild use of.

Seriously, compare Crash to Super Mario 3D World, another game designed around (sideways Wiimote) 2D input limitations; both are blocky, linear obstacle courses with extremely limited freedom of 3D movement.

Tank controls were great for this reason.
Awesome way to bypass this limitation.

But tank controls are god-awful in any situation where the camera is not positioned directly behind the player (see: Resident Evil) at all times.

Which is not the optimal way to develop a platformer, because your ability to see where you're jumping is almost universally obscured by your character

Naa you're just bitter and have shit taste mate.

>But tank controls are god-awful in any situation where the camera is not positioned directly behind the player (see: Resident Evil) at all times.

Not him but are you implying that the old Resident Evils controlled badly or that they worked for their time? Because that's kicking a hornets nest that is the RE fanbase between everything before 4. That and I think they worked fine for the survival horror game angle.

Tank controls for a platformer is something like Croc. Crash controls a lot better and smoothly (at least in 2 and 3. Crash 1 is stiffer in comparison to those two, but still better then stuff like Croc in controls).

Also Crash 2 had Dual Shock Support, and Crash 3 had it built right in though.

this

I know this is a bait thread, but
I had a PlayStation with Crash when I was little. But for some reason I never played it. Tried it a couple years ago, its pretty entertaining when you just wanna lay there and not worry about anything. Solid game, 8/10

I am implying that. The early Resident Evils controlled badly. They controlled embarrasingly badly. They were among the worst games to walk around in I've ever played. And I actually liked the games.

Crash 2 and 3 may have had analogue support, but the thing to remember is that by that point, the level design methodology had been established and it wasn't a convention they were eager to break. Still a lot of glorified tunnels with jumping in those games, though they started to open things up as the series went on

Well you can only work with what you have. That says more on Sony, as the DualShock should have been standard from the start.

>Still a lot of glorified tunnels with jumping in those games,

That's not inherently "bad." It's all about execution, and I would say the Crash games pulled it off well enough to make them entertaining. If those levels didn't pull them off well enough, that be a different story.

Plus 2 and 3 (more so 3) did introduce more variety besides those kinds of levels for better or worse depending on the type of level

What the fuck, theres been,like, 5 thread completely shitting on Crash in the last 24 hours, what gives? Is it just samefaging?

Jumping Flash and Ape Escape were the better games, i want Spike back

Ape Escape 4 should have been made instead, it was planned since 3