Zelda BotW thread

Zelda BotW thread

16 days to go, how are you holding up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LAiEhEu0F70
youtu.be/HPY_H4uAqlE
youtu.be/KK3gSrCMnsc
youtube.com/watch?v=LAiEhEu0F70
gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/15/miyamoto-and-aonuma-on-zeldas-storytelling-and-breath-of-the-wilds-trick.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=dZckF7B3veU
youtu.be/T2i4ffBCp9Y?t=8m29s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtu.be/LAiEhEu0F70
>more wildlife shown
>bokoblins talk to each other at camp
>surfaces are slippery when wet
>lightning strikes have telling signs

youtu.be/HPY_H4uAqlE
>difficulty and other features discussed

>16 days
You'll have to wait at least until december to get the complete experience. I for one will not bother paying the game without hard mode.

misleading image, the game now has a white filter

youtu.be/KK3gSrCMnsc

Game informer impressions of the extended gameplay time they got

>implying

Nice t

"New" hard mode is out sooner than December though, but there is no harm waiting. I can't stand spoilers so I have no choice but to buy day 1. I got a preorder for the master edition anyway, if I don't like the game I can flip the entire set

I really don't see myself disliking it though

>16 days

I can't wait.

Not because I can't wait for the game (I have the Wii U version preordered), but because hopefully the consolewar shitposting will die down some time after the game and the Switch come out.

Like holy shit, it seems like every time I come here now, there are at least half a dozen active threads telling us how the Switch is DOA, BOTW will be DOA, Horizon Zero Dawn will be DOA, Horizon Zero Dawn will win GOTY, BOTW will win GOTY, PC gamers will have the "real" version on CEMU in flawless 4K 60FPS the day after the game comes out, and so on, and so on.

Sup Forums has been like this since around Christmas, and I'm fucking sick of it.

the shitposting will never stop, user

It won't stop, ever. Even if it gets a perfect 100 score

any word on what happens when you approach the edge of the map?

I'm assuming endless ocean, or a loop

I don't really care.

Can't wait to meet my husbando Kaas.

if it's an invisible wall or a ~magical barrier~ I'm dropping it, just do a loop, an island, or massive cliffs.

That looks fucking awful.

I fucking hate invisible walls, I wish they would just go away from open world games. Fuck, just MAKE a wall, is it so hard? It's so immersion breaking

To be fair, everything in Zelda is immersion breaking

What is this

Anyway, it depends on your threshold for immersion breaking. Spinner doesn't work with real physics? I can deal with that, but some can't

>16
15*

God i love that little jingle at the start, Is it from anywhere?

I can't wait to climb some Ubisoft towers. I haven't been so excited since the last Assassin's Creed came out.

I'm not aware of the how often Wii U games leaked before release?
I know about Color Splash, but that was single e-shop bug.

Since you can climb cliffs (and possibly restore stamina partway?) I imagine the land parts will be cliffs that can't be climbed past a certain part. On the ocean side though invisible walls are inevitable if Link can get a swimming upgrade or ride a raft out there. Or just have you "die" and pop back on land.

No Zelda game comes close to immersive, and I'm sure some people will chime in but objectively speaking there's so much stuff that constantly takes the player out of it. People get mad when you point it out though.
>The big hud, all the time, ever-present, never stopping
>How does Link fit so many items in his tiny pockets?
>How does Link carry so many items? How is it he can hold dozen so of items and not weigh enough to sink, yet when he puts on boots that he's supposedly carrying, that's when he sinks? Nothing every says he has magic pockets or that the boots are magic I think
>Money and Arrows have a limit to how many you can hold, even though if you open a chest and find a ball and chain you totally have room for that
>How does wallet space work with green rupees being the same size as red ones?
>What the fuck is a heart container? Who puts them everywhere? Where does Link keep them? Why do they only count when you get four if you can have quarter hearts of life?
>What ARE hearts? Why do they drop everywhere?
>Why does time stop when Link pauses to equip items? Or when he drinks potions?
>Why do small keys break? Why are they dungeon-specific if they're all the exact same key?
>How does a compass locate chests?
>Why is rolling faster than walking?
>How does Link instantly pick up items he finds on the ground without putting his hands on or actually placing them in his pockets?
>Where does Link draw those arrows from?
>How are all the arrows Link finds the exact same kind no matter if he's in a dark world or a desert town or an ancient ancient magic temple? (BotW has different arrow types I think, so cool there)
It's full of this weird game abstraction shit way more than it should and way more than other games.

Oh also that pic looks like Second Life.

...Is it really that hard for you to get immersed?

The part that has me so excited for this game is that you can actually go to the things in the distance. I know that's nothing new for video games, but I'm so used to distant things in Zelda games being traveled through instantly by walking to a new area.

Whatever you say.

>everyone is gay for kass
Why is this? Baras are fucking disgusting

I'm meant to ignore everything the game throws at me? It's a constant barrage in Zelda.

Wow, this is so much better. Why didn't they just make the game look like this by default?

>Autism: The post

>new original story in DLC 2

Could it be a side trip to clock town? Maybe the island in Links Awakening?

dad just died so im not doing the best, but im excited for the game

The snowy area is called Snowpeak, so there could be a MM connection, honestly.

Sorry to hear that, user. What happened?

Snowpeak is the mountain from TP, Snowhead is the one from MM

What an insightful and meaningful comment. I sure am glad to have the privilege of posting on such a worthwhile website.

It comes with one (1) new dungeon. I wouldn't expect much. Maybe a Daud-tier mini expansion pack.

Booked the Friday off work but I also ordered from Amazon...

Might not get it until Saturday and I'm one the back shift. Being an adult is suffering

heart attack, at least i have something to do before the game comes out

Ah, that's right. I doubt they'd do Zant, since he's kind of dead and not an incarnation of Demise.

My condolences, man. I just lost my grandparents this past year. It's not easy.

thanks

>Why is this?
He is gorgeous.

Post webms of link getting fucked

>portrait stops at the bottom of the text box
>portrait has chopped off arms
>"user-kun"
This is going to be completely worthless, isn't it

someone make one that starts at 2:56 in this video

youtube.com/watch?v=LAiEhEu0F70

There already is one, someone will probably post it

Does suicide counts?

Yeah, Sup Forums is a lot more shit than usual. I've found myself popping in a lot less these days because the catalog is just Switch/Zelda/Horizon Zero Dawn shitposting with an extra helping of false-flagging from both sides.

16 days until even the most delusional drones realize that their only hope is gone and the switch is indeed a shitty console with no good games

>possible to miss story bits
I hope its never a chore to follow the story to get all the parts

I have webms that fit your description, but I'm not allowed to post them on a blue board.

>Sipping hot cocoa pleasantly wrapped up in comfy snug blanket
>Slowly drift off to sleep
>I'm unboxing my Nintendo Switch™, plugging in Breath of the Wild cartridge
>Blown away by awesome menu and cutscenes
>Paragliding around plateau and lighting fires and beating bokoblin skeletons up with their own severed arms
>Holy shit this is awesome Its better than sex Its better than OOT Its game of the century
>Reach edge of hyrule field just outside the plateau, Deku Tree telepathically stops me
>"Its not safe yet to proceed Hero, you must turn around!"
>Okay guys I'll return later...
>Cruising through forest temple and beat the Zonai Ruins with my reinforced fire rod to god tier soundtrack
>Have now reached third temple, Zelda pops in for a voice acted cutscene
>"Calamity Ganon's forces have descended and destroyed this temple Hero, this wreckage is all that remains"
>Huh thats kind of disappointing, have to backtrack to edge of map an-
>Entire rest of map is an ocean
>Endless ocean in all directions
>The minimap was a lie, its all been flooded
>"Hero, you must collect these twenty pieces of the Triforce to defeat Calamity Ganon!"
>"Collect these 200 music notes to receive a chart you need to decipher!"
>"You must purchase a Nintendo Online™ Service Account to proceed into this area"
>"Do you wish to purchase a subscription to Breath of the Wild™ Season Pass to unlock this quest? Available for $19.99"
>what the fu-
>*Finglevi pops up and interrupts gameplay*
>"Heykoo Heykoo Listenpah, Fairy Master, I can decipher your chart for only 673 rupees each"
>"Fairy Master, I have determined a 93% chance that your left joy-con is nearly out of batteries, shouldn't I repeat this or not? (X) Yes (_) Yes"
>"Fairy Master, I have determined a 93% chance that your right joy-con is nearly out of batteries, shouldn't I repeat this or not? (X) Yes (_) Yes"
>wake up screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOO

gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/15/miyamoto-and-aonuma-on-zeldas-storytelling-and-breath-of-the-wilds-trick.aspx

Immersion is halfway cultivated by the developer and halfway excused by the player. You HAVE to have a health meter to show how close Link is to dying, the hud is just one of those things that has to be ignored. It can be part of the responsibility of the developer to make that hud as minimalistic as possible, as they have done in BoTW, but it still needs to exist in a lot of cases. And it's not objective either, everybody has their own threshold and preferences for what is immersion-breaking. I don't know how you can get so worked up over fucking hammer space, of all things.

Literally everything you just listed are concessions made for gameplay. If you're so worried, consider a different medium. Because abstractions are absolutely necessary for good game design.

I love immersion as much as the next guy; maybe even more than the next guy, but remember you're playing a video GAME, not a meticulously crafted, real life fantasy world simulation. Try meeting the game halfway immersion fag.

Haha you go to based Reddit too? :D
Upvoted +1 %PP

>16 days
>wii u version already leaked and its being dumped

Lel

How long do you think it will take for BotW to run well on CEMU?

a perfect score will only make the shitposting worse

paid reviews etc

where?

Months

better webm

>immersion=autism

Check /hbg/ a guy posted proof on having a physical copy and a few post later we got it on dump or whatever program it is

was he a sonygger or nintoddler?

What

>/hbg/
what's that?

I can live with a health bar, even if it would be far cooler if Link showed damage on his model, hey sort of like Super Mario Bros, but a sword icon over a red circle? Am I going to forget halfway through the game that the sword button swings my sword? Why does this hud element exist? Why does the action button have to have text describing everything?
>I don't know how you can get so worked up over fucking hammer space, of all things.
Because my image of a hero desperately venturing forth with a sword and shield in hand gets squished when he has an unlimited repertoire of convenient get-out-jail free cards at his disposal. They want the image of a sword, a shield, and whatever can fit in his pockets. That's what's on the cover. The mechnical reality is that he's just a goofy armory and this is a disconnect.

The problem with Zelda is that in trying to do so many things, the games become jacks of all trades and sacrifice immersion and good design for novelty. Everything feels so dinky and shallow. You have to be a certain level of fanboyism is swat away everything and proclaim it as just perfect. I can enjoy a Zelda but I'm not deluded enough to not be able to recognize it as a real mess of common sense and that in such a series as a major flaw to the heart of the game's tone.

All these minor gaps of logic-- they prevent the games from ever being genuinely cohesive experiences.

Just turn your brain off.

youtube.com/watch?v=dZckF7B3veU

*and that in such a series is a major flaw

also inb4 le autism

fake and gay
he's just uploading old footage

Why do u post bullshots? Why are you trying so hard to shill this garbage game or Nintendo? Fucking buy the game and play it but stop pretending this game is the second coming of Jesus. It's open world for babies that looks worse than oblivion.

epic meme

Finally someone posts the real version

thats not a bullshot though, its an ingame cutscene rendered in the engine

this is a bullshot

It's actually 15.

It's SJW DLC where you can play as Zelda during the story when links off doing whatever. It's like the Gladio DLC

That's IT!! I've had enough of you. Get out.
GET!!
OOOOUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

As you wish.

Game will look like this in Cemu eventually.

They just can pull a Links Awakening/Truman Show and let your boat get hit by lightning and respawn you at the shore

youtu.be/T2i4ffBCp9Y?t=8m29s
>game interrupts you mid-action to tell you where to go

>Am I going to forget halfway through the game that the sword button swings my sword?

I'll give you that one, that hud element doesn't need to exist.

>Because my image of a hero desperately venturing forth with a sword and shield in hand gets squished when he has an unlimited repertoire of convenient get-out-jail free cards at his disposal.

That is entirely your fault, senpai. The "image of a hero desperately venturing forth" is something you constructed entirely in your head, before even going into the game, which isn't image the devs likely had when creating the game. If they did, then they would build gameplay mechanics to reinforce that image.

>the games become jacks of all trades and sacrifice immersion and good design for novelty.
>sacrifice immersion and good design for novelty.
>immersion and good design

These two things should not be coupled together. They are not even remotely the same.

Get this through your thick head: Game design, through its abstraction, actively OPPOSES immersion. The only thing you can do is to have a balance of the two. No focus on immersion or story or whatever, and you still have a video game. Otherwise, you have shitty walking simulators and other non-games. Why don't you consider what I said earlier? If this immersion-breaking shit bothers you so much, why not change mediums?

>All these minor gaps of logic-- they prevent the games from ever being genuinely cohesive experiences.

And thank fucking God for that.

>Doing this anywhere in the game and pulling out your sailcloth once you reach the crest to enjoy the view

>Wii U

Interesting. Still looks good, thankfully.

maybe in 2023

Nothing youtube can't fix.

>>The big hud, all the time, ever-present, never stopping
>3 tiny hearts in the right corner and a mini map on the left cornor

what is a small hud for you pal?
>>How does Link fit so many items in his tiny pockets?
magical bad, they showed that in the anime
>>Money and Arrows
you keep then in your wallet.
>>How does wallet space work
its a bag, the rarity of the rupie is important, not the color. Diamonds are worth more than esmeralds
>>What ARE hearts? Why do they drop everywhere?
they dont anymore
>>Why does time stop when Link pauses to equip items?
he is thinking at the speed of light, because he is a elf.
>>How does a compass locate chests?
chests are made of magnets
>>Why is rolling faster than walking?
try walk down a slope and then roll down a slope
>>How does Link instantly pick up items he finds on the ground without putting his hands on or actually placing them in his pockets?
he uses the magic bag
>>Where does Link draw those arrows from?
from the magic bag

>be me
>20
>first actual real zelda game i'll be getting into
>had 64 but never ocarina of time
>emulating OOT and loving it
>had twightlight princess but never really got into it as i borrowed it from a rental store for my gamecube back in the day

Anything to help me fall in love with this game? I love the lost woods song, and I'm liking ocarina of time. Though I had little interest in BOTW, I think it's going to be game of the year worthy

Anyone other games worth trying zelda related?

Okami!

meanwhile the horizon and uncharted threads are just full of bullshots everywhere

Honestly, play through Zelda 1. Don't use any guides or anything. The back of the box said that I would experience the challenge of endless adventure and boy did I.

The original.

>Majora's mask
>Wind Waker
>A link to the past

I no particular order. Playing majora right after Oot might leave you with a dejavu sensation clashing with how different the mechanics and focus are, but only you know if this is a good thing. It's not quite as solid as Oot, but its highs go much higher.

A link to the past is basically Oot, but in top down view and (even) better paced.

WW is all around easier, and has problems with pace, but the setting is one of the most memorable and it's one of the first attempts at going full open world again.

What is it you're liking about Zelda so far?

it'll be rendered at 1080p with minor dips in framerate by E3

ill give it a go after I've finished OOT, but I'm more looking for the true 3D experience, preferbly a game that got most zelda fans into it