Honestly, what were they thinking when they made this thing

Honestly, what were they thinking when they made this thing.
Did no one test this?
Why is there no piece of felt or cloth to prevent the screen from scratching or smudging?
Why is it all hard plastic, and why is it so close together?
If they did know it would lead to scratches, why did they choose to make the Switch screen plastic instead of glass?
This is probably the most poorly thought out thing about the entire console. It doesn't help that it's essentially just a big hunk of plastic. Not to mention it does a horrible job of actually preventing the console.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc
tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/1065-nintendo-switch-issues.html
gizmodo.com/people-are-trying-to-fix-the-switchs-dumb-design-issues-1793020785http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/07/nintendo-switch-wi-fi-connection-issues-for-some-players
slashgear.com/nintendo-switch-problems-youre-not-the-only-one-07477649/
polygon.com/2017/3/6/14836194/nintendo-switch-left-joy-con-cause-design-fix
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the answer to all of these questions is because it costs less money and its for children.

>>its for children.
Is it? Because it feels like the complete opposite.
I wouldn't trust a child with the Switch. They would have that shit either scratched or broken within an hour. The Wii U was more child proof than the fucking Switch.

Actually the Switch is solid as fuck. The screen was made for kids, it does scratch, but it will never break

Literally a console made for kids

I'd take a glass screen over a plastic one every time. It's practically mandatory to buy a screen protector just to keep it from getting scratched.

Honestly I don't see the point when even glass screens can get scratched when you'll least expect it anyway.
So if you're gonna use a protector anyway, why not use the screen that won't be entirely fucked at the slightest drop?

This is the same company that made a handheld that scratches it's own screen

Because the way the Switch inserts into the dock makes me feel like a screen protector will be absolutely 100% mandatory. The fact that the thing just kinda stuffs into the dock, and the fact that it doesn't have any kind of protection like felt or cloth, feels really poorly thought out. I legitimately don't know why they would design it that way. It's like no one bothered to even look at the thing.

why does the dock need a front side in the first place?

I can answer all of these.

>Honestly, what were they thinking when they made this thing.

>Did no one test this?

They tested it - the engineers who tested it brought their findings to middle management who passed it on to the bean counters - This is where the trouble begins.

->Why is there no piece of felt or cloth to prevent the screen from scratching or smudging?

Increased manufacturing (labor) cost - not materials. Felt would add a "cheap" look from the solution.

-> Why is it all hard plastic, and why is it so close together?

Nintendo used to have form follow function - now they only care about the "form". They wish they were Apple (and I'm not praising apple here). You have to understand that they sell toys that also sometimes happen to double as consoles. Not the other way around.

>If they did know it would lead to scratches, why did they choose to make the Switch screen plastic instead of glass?

$$ - Bean counters. Nintendo got a taste of making profit from selling consoles AND games - that's why their consoles have been under-powered forever now. They "earn" whether the consol/generation sells well or not because they make money off both the hardware and the software.

Xbox/Sony take on a loss at the beginning of a generation and make it back through software and their mid-gen hardware revision also cheaper costs as time goes on.

>This is probably the most poorly thought out thing about the entire console. It doesn't help that it's essentially just a big hunk of plastic. Not to mention it does a horrible job of actually preventing the console.

It's meant to be an experimental gimmick. They have a hard cover over the screen to hide the screen so it looks like a "console". It would look even stupider (but be better for the screen). if the screen was exposed. All of Nintendo's design choices are cost-savings attemtps. They sought to cut as many corners on the HARDWARE as possible because that translates more directly to the..

so it doesn't flop out you dingleberry

if only it had some kind of side rail system

They were thinking "it's okay when nintendo does it"

if only it was tilted back slightly

NOOOOOOOOOO
HOW FUCKING DARE YOU?
DELETE THIS YOU SONYGGER FUCK

>Small scratches are normal for LCD screens and should not be counted as defects

Thinking about getting a Switch. If anyone owns one in here, what is your honest opinion of it?

Honestly, what were they thinking when they made this thing.
Did no one test this?

Made out of pure awesome. GOAT vidya doesn't hurt.

Have you never used a phone or a tablet with a glass screen before? They aren't nearly that fragile, I've dropped mine a bunch of times, sometimes on the screen, and have yet to have it even crack

youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc
Consider watching this video first

>Did no one test this?
Of course not lol, why would they bother rigorously testing any of this shit when you Nintenbro retards will trample each other to buy one for $900 from a scalper?

>why did nintendo design laughably bad hardware!?
Gee i wonder

why the fuck does it have to be a toaster design?

just make a flat fucking base and you would have 0 risk of scratching the screen

fuck nintendo, why cant you go back to not being retarded like in the SNES days?

>not waiting for New Switch XL in 2018, when it will actually have games besides skyrim: zelda edition

thanks for beta testing

Because a flat docking bay would be cumbersome. The console needed to stand, not lay.

There's actually two rubber guides inside the dock to cradle the unit and guide it in without scratches, but no one in this thread actually owns one so.

have a small lip for it to plug in

there, you dont SCRATCH THE SCREEN with a shitty toaster design.

so how does one actually manage to scratch that thing

Read

>Honestly, what were they thinking when they made this thing.
to make a quick buck from desperate nintetards and then to shovel out the same shit they have for decades

Well it's a plastic screen, which is essentially shatter-proof, but it does scratch easily. People getting deep scratches already are just man-handling the system, but if you take this shit outside and use it like a handheld it will get scratches no matter what, it's just a reality.

lol
Someone get this guy a job in product design.

well that's a shame, hate things that scratches easily, I remember the state my DS was in when I stopped playing with it

>$90 for an HDMI cord and a charger

I work at a famous Jap company in Shanghai and I can tell you that while the nips test things, nowadays everything they make is cheap with a focus on getting max profit off the difference between production cost and revenue.

Honestly, I hate to say this, but the chinks make better stuff on a price to value basis since their margins are always tight.

You were lucky. Even the toughest most expensive gorilla glass still crack very easily.

Has anyone tried breaking the front of the dock off to prevent scratches?

>millions of switches sold
>a couple break
OH NO NINTENDO FLOPPED SWITCH IS BROKEN NINTENDRONES BTFO

A 15$ investement for a glass protector is way better than a glass screen shattering.

>don't even use the dock because it charges at a whopping 1% an hour
The dock was just a strange choice in general, I hardly ever use it but I want to

>a couple break
Get your eyes checked nintenigger

Don't care. I tried a Switch today and I'm very likely going to get one regardless of these niggling issues you niggards come up with.

This new Zelda looks good

This video is garbage and you should feel intellectually barren for actually linking it.

Anecdotal evidence, confirmation bias, bandwagon effect. The list could go on. You're a sheep and refuse to look at this with perspective or criticism. You're easily swayed by a hastily put compilation made for idiots like you and has no critical mind of his own.

My diagnosis: kys.

Well to your first point..anything that is portable with a touch screen that is mobile is pretty much a mandatory thing, unless it has some type of clam shell design I guess.

To your other point..im being serious..how do these scratches form? I have yet to see anything even resembling a micro-scratch on any part of my switch and since launch I have easily brung put it in and out of its dock about 50+ times since launch. The only way I see this happening is if people are dropping this thing in its dock hard like a retard. I could be wrong here but I just don't see how scratches like that can happen.

Not at 900p it doesn't, its an eyesore with all the aliasing. Fun tho

There's multiple apparent issues.
A large number of people have been having issues.
My diagnosis: stop being a fucking drone.

Someone sounds triggered.

>Terrible dock which looks awful and scratches the fucking screen
>Joycon causes cramps and feels like shit to hold while playing
>Massive sync issues for the joycon
>Joycon strap doesn't come out easily
>Charging cable is so intrusive you need your own mount to play it on a tabletop while charging
>Reggie constantly lying

This whole thing is horribly designed

>A large number of people have been having issues.
you got a source? What's a large number of people? ~200? How many switches have been sold? maybe ~1m+? hmm, makes you think.

>I haven't used the Switch and like to regurgitate things I hear on neogaf.
huh

Yet so many fucking reviewing sites are complaining about the same issues in their Switch reviews

IGN came out today and gave the console a 7. They were extremely disappointed with many design choices.

It's one of the worst HDMI convertor boxes ever designed. 90 bucks for all that empty space when the motherboard in the damn thing is the only shit that matters.

Plus, it scratches the screen and feels cheap as hell.

Until their is sufficent evidence, you're talking out of your ass as much as a nintendron is about saying there is "no issues at all". You can make a compilation video of ANYTHING and make it seem bigger than it is.. This is why you wait for actual data more than ever to prove or disprove your claim.

I have never visited Neogaf in my life

I owned a Wii U before this and thought that it was a cheap hunk of plastic. Nintendo seemed to distance themselves from it. I thought this time would be better but it's actually been a worse experience overall so far.

>Terrible dock which looks awful and scratches the fucking screen
Aesthetics, and does it really? Mine is unscratched.
>Joycon causes cramps and feels like shit to hold while playing
Bullshit. Dual weilding joycon halves is the goat.
>Massive sync issues for the joycon
Not for me
>Joycon strap doesn't come out easily
I'll give you that
>Charging cable is so intrusive you need your own mount to play it on a tabletop while charging
What is dock mode
>Reggie constantly lying
About what?

I wonder how long it will be until manufacturers make their own Switch dock.
>Nintendo literally took down all forms of being able to buy a dock because of how fucking awful it is

>my diagnosis
Off yourselves.

>Actually defending the Nintendo Switch

Too far gone
Different reality from the rest of us

Seems to me like the entire console, when broken down (including the controllers) was more of a proof of concept than anything. Looks like it was rushed out the door in that state to meet the Zelda release.

I think they will quietly refine the console and ship the newer, better versions by the time the holidays hit. I'd be more surprised if they didn't, in fact.

tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/1065-nintendo-switch-issues.html
gizmodo.com/people-are-trying-to-fix-the-switchs-dumb-design-issues-1793020785http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/07/nintendo-switch-wi-fi-connection-issues-for-some-players
slashgear.com/nintendo-switch-problems-youre-not-the-only-one-07477649/
polygon.com/2017/3/6/14836194/nintendo-switch-left-joy-con-cause-design-fix

Want some more you fucking retards?

>Nintendo used to have form follow function - now they only care about the "form".
But the wii u looks like shit.

>TFW Nintendo removes a badly designed HDMI output station.
>TFW Nintendo may've rushed the console out to market.

If you know anything about hardware, watch breakdowns of the dock, the console, and the joycons. You'll be left scratching your head.

>The rest of us

I-I'm one of you guys right? XD

How can one fuck up a piece of plastic? Nintendo finds a way.

>2 million shipped
>a few have problems
thanks for proving my point, fuckface.

Honestly who doesn't buy a glass screen protector for their phones or tablet.

My parents iPad was on the kitchen granite and when they opened the cabinet a heavy drinking glass fell right on it from about 3 or 4 feet above impact.

The glass screen Procteror was smashed and the actual IPad was perfectly fine no damage.

I've broken so many note 4 glass protectors and my screen is still perfect.

Who doesn't buy these things. They are cheap asf on ebay.

The Wii U doesn't look bad. Just boring. Very plain, but it's not painful to look at or anything.

If people were bitching about the screens scratching due to improper treatment of the console, I'd be with you. But when it scratches when you use it EXACTLY how it is intended to be used, that's just poor design on the devs.

Where did the articles say "a few"?
Go jump off a bridge you retarded shill

>Aesthetics, and does it really? Mine is unscratched.

It does, and it's overpriced. They're getting away with Apple-tier levels of highway robbery for a cheaply designed docking station.

>Dual wielding joycon halves is the goat.

They're extremely uncomfortable to hold, even when holding one horizontally. Plus, there's the fact your right thumb can rub up against the right joycon's thumbstick due to bad design placement.

>Not for me.

Good for you, but it's still a big issue in its longevity. The desyncs are a result of a hardware design flaw in which the left joycon's wireless antenna is cushioned between 2 metal sheets which can block the wireless signal. Yet more proof that the console and its accessories were rushed.

>What is dock mode

Dock charging is too slow and scratches the screen. Plus, the placement of the charging port makes sense for dock mode, but a huge mistake for portable mode as it essentially kills the kickstand mode, forcing to hold the console or position it on makeshift pillars.

>About what?

Reggie has lied about many things since he became president of NOA. Look it up

This might actually be a good idea, would help keep it cooler too.

The system launch in general just felt rushed.

>Almost no games
>No apps
>Not enough units at most stores

>Not enough units at most stores
Maybe it's selling well for its supply.

Fucking dumb fuck

So, that slashgear article did an unscientific poll that proved that 80%+ would say that there experience was "perfect" and thats not even taking into account people bullshitting and/or mis using an issue that the internet is repeating a an excuse to justify a mistake that may have been done by human error on their part.

And, every single one of those articles are not saying that this is a "huge" problem..they are simply reporting on the problems that the switch has been happening. This is the internet..it has been known since the creation of comments that people who have nice or neutral things to say don't really post and if they do they don't get as much attention as someone whose complain about something.

Until I see an actual consumerist report on the ACTUAL percentage of how widespread this issue is I still say that your "large number" that implies that this is a massive problem argument is full of shit.

>Dock had to be removed from Nintendo's store due to shitty design causing Switches to be scratched
>Joycon straps are badly designed to the point that you can easily accidentally slip the wrong strap on and it becomes hard to remove
>Nintendo had to put out a help desk message saying that the system must be kept away from mobile phones to prevent malfunction with the Joycons but the system requires mobile phone for online communications
These are literally all objective facts. Go fuck yourself.

-But others are scratching theirs, after just a minimal amount of times of putting it in and out of the thing.
Console is designed for children, and I can imagine they would be scratching theirs on day 1 of getting a Switch.

-Have you tried using just one joycon to play? Fucking instant discomfort.

-And for me it does.

-Not only that, but it can easily be stuck and jammed if inserted the wrong way, which is apparently easy to do.
Expecting a redesign of straps within the next year.

-Damned if you want to play in tabletop mode and charge the system while you're doing it. Damned if you want to actually play in tabletop mode like how it was advertised, gonna just have to play docked forever.

-Everything

>For Children

Ad campaigns say otherwise, unless if you're implying that every 18-30 year olds Nintendo is targeting are children at heart.

>hasn't happened to me, so it can't possibly have happened to anyone else

After a few days of use, I haven't scratched the screen. Did I get a defective dock?

The console itself looks fine; but the gamepad, which they made a huge deal over being the heart of the system, looks like a fisherprice toy.

The nintendo switch is analogous to modern corporate environment of interdisciplinary teams failing to collaborate and the end result is an amalgamation of poorly implemented ideas that have gone too far to merit revision due to deadlines.

One team thought it was a good idea to keep a plastic screen because of drop durability

Another team wanted a fancy dock, but didnt consult the other team

Quality assurance failed to realize the potential conflicts arising from plastic screen and scraping dock. They stayed silent.

Someone at Nintendo fucked up, and not even the drones can defend this one.

And that's how the WiiU was born.

Totally agree. I also feel that the gamepad was overly expensive for the actual value it offered. Most first party games don't use the game pad in any way beyond giving you a copy of your TV screen in between your hands. Presuming the bargain gamepads to be found on ebay have a 50% profit margin, the game pad still added 100 bucks to the cost of the system, and did so unnecessarily, considering the impressive battery life of the Pro controller. People have argued that its been used well regarding a couple of 3rd party games, and that's cool, but if Nintendo couldn't figure out a way to use the game pad well on Mario Kart, Smash Bros, 3D World, or BotW, that really says a lot about how viable the game pad was to begin with. I could deal with the cringeworthy look of the thing if it brought real value to the console, but it didn't.

If Nintendo dropped 50 bucks from the cost of the console, and included a pro controller, rather than the near-useless gamepad, I feel as though the console itself would have been a much better value.

Also, the fact that Nintendo is selling refurbished Wii Us on Amazon for 285 dollars, while the Switch is 300, is an absolute joke. I got mine with 2 games for 225 bucks a year and a half ago. There is ZERO justification to make it 60 dollars more expensive than it was a year and a half ago.

You're a shill if you didn't have problems with the switch

>all objective facts
Using known issues that have been reported =/= does not support your claim that this is a huge problem that is running rampant.

Let me explain again because maybe you can't comprehend arguments very well. I am NOT arguing that these issues don't exist I AM however arguing that saying blindly that these issues are "large" or "huge" without objective ACTUAL DATA gathering.

Example: it was OFFICIALLY reported that the xbox 360 had a 54.2 percent failure rate (RROD) due to the fact that they left protective foiling on their heat syncs. those are official and real reports..not something thats just been reported and reposted a bunch of times.

I have yet to have my switch scratch on me over the atleast 50+ times i've docked and undocked it, and I have yet to have any conenction issues with my phone next to me, my wifi router literally about 3 feet away from my console and myself when playing. But am I going to discredit others that have that issue? No..I am however am going to wait and see what the official report is on these issues before I say its a huge problem. and yes, Nintendo is damage controlling like ANY company does when issues arise..business 101.

You DO realize that people have broken down the joycons, and that the left one was missing an antenna, right? I mean, you can talk about your experience all you want, but the fact that the 25 cent antenna (which resolves all the connectivity issues) that is included on only the right joycon is indisputable.

4 out of MILLIONS of samsung devices exploded and you got that shitstorm.

To be fair, exploding batteries is a far cry from defective parts.

I'm still happy I didn't spend my money on the switch, but still.

You're literally arguing with nintendo defence force.

I literally said that I am not disputing that these issues do not exist I am disputing the fact that it is a large issue you fucking dolt. Yes, that is a design flaw that should have been addressed I said that I have never had any connection issues but I know that my evidence is as anecdotal as the ones you are using in the form of reports.

I would say forgetting to put an antenna into half of your controllers is a large issue.

Also, if you look at the breakdown of the console itself, you're left scratching your head. The design makes very little sense.

Also, I'm not using any anecdotal evidence. You're mistaking me for someone you replied to. I wish there were ID tags like in Sup Forums.

Doesn't matter what they do, people will still buy it because it's Nintendo.

Alright, I apollogize about that then..I was still arguing the evidence about the "large issue" poster. ID tags would be nice.

But yeah as far as that goes..I do completely agree..I feel that there were too many corners cut in that aspect. Even as a switch owner I would have been more than happy to have them make it at a higher price for atleast a little bit closer competition in terms of graphics for this current generation. All in All I still feel the switch is the step in the right direction..if they want to keep going up..they just need to get rid of that "console for everyone graphics and performance can be put on the back burner" crap. So yeah, I agree there is still much room for improvement in terms of technical things and issues like this could have been avoided with less corner cutting to something that is already pretty barebones.

I think the hardware is more or less fine for a portable console. It's just the way they assembled it. Shitty thermal paste that I haven't seen in over a decade, for example (seriously, even the PS3, which had TONS of issues with their thermal paste, had better quality). The fact that they didn't need to make the dock the way that they did, but did so anyways, despite the fact that it CAN scratch the screen (whether you've scratched yours or not is immaterial).

It just seems really rushed so that they could push it out with Zelda. Looking at the console, I would say that they were about 6 months away from launching with a design that wasn't just a "proof of concept" design.

I'm almost positive there will be redesigns before Christmas.

This. What is th3 fucking point of that big ass wall in front of it?

>tfw you assumed that the carry case comes with a screen protector