Is melee a solved game? How can anyone catch up to the top ten at this point as a new player?

Is melee a solved game? How can anyone catch up to the top ten at this point as a new player?

You can say that about any game

> youll ever be top 10 at anything in your life

Hahahaha

at some point in time user was one of the Top 10 youngest people on Earth

Practice you fool.

If it's been solved then people should be catching up like there's no tomorrow, but they aren't as seen by Armada's complete dominance over the other top players.

wait until they grow tired of melee

>get paid 20k to play
>getting tired

alternatively, when brawl came out neither that or the low prize pool of any existing tournament at the time was enough to make players quit. I don't think it'll ever die. At least not anytime soon.

Nah, it's not solved. Z-cancelling is still underutilized, and just a couple days ago AMSA posted a video showing that Yoshi can deliberately not L-cancel his nair to avoid Falcon's shield grab. There are still setups to find and combos to build, although it's not super likely that we'll be finding any more undiscovered major tech for a while unless you're exploring underdeveloped bottom-tier characters.

As for catching up to Armada- yeah, that's kind of a lost cause. Unless you can match or exceed his IQ and put in more time while training more efficiently (I.E. what leffen did)

20k for a full time job is terrible.
>But it's a game!
Anything you do for work becomes work.

>How can anyone catch up to the top ten at this point as a new player?
we either wait for armada to retire or for someone to take a lead pipe to his hands because that fuckface is too good. Every tourney he attends just turns into the Free Money for Armada Extravaganza

>I.E. what leffen did
that dude just keeps on disappointing. Ever since the passport fiasco he's lost his edge

How will the FGC ever recover?

i would say that melee is close from dying

top 5 matches are now endless "I wont try absolutely anything until you fuck up and punish you for it"

I love melee and i've played since 2001 but holy shit it's boring now

The amount of effort needed to be top 10 at something is too much for me. Even as far as vidya goes, I'd much rather play a lot of games and enjoy all the different experiences rather than pour my life into being a top speedrunner or being a Street Fighter champion

Thank god this fad will end soon.

It's the money prizes+twitch subs+sponsors
Mang0 has a shitton of subs

you can be top 10 in an obscure game no one plays

This and only this forever

I beat Nairo in FG. Does that make me top 10?

The whole melee fanbase is autistic, worse than any other fanbase out there.

I was top 50 in guitar hero 2 way back when. Had a few top ten tracks at one point.

This is me and pic related

>Is melee a solved game?
No
>How can anyone catch up to the top ten at this point as a new player?
More talent + many years of practice

There's a lot more to learn about melee such as optimal option selects in specific situations, there's a lot more tech that even top players haven't implemented yet, there's a ton of matchups that haven't really been explored (because they involve shitty characters), etc. It's not possible for any one person to master everything in melee.

Even if you just look at fox only final destination you can see that the quality of top level matches improves year after year.

Doesn't the fact that people don't catch up to the gods contradict Melee being a solved game? If Melee were solved, then you'd see more people hitting that ceiling.

>top 5 matches are now endless "I wont try absolutely anything until you fuck up and punish you for it"

Literally only matches with HBox are like that. Just watch Genesis 4 Mango vs. Leffen for a recent great match.

>tr4sh
hahahahahahahaha

>solved games
>"""""professionals"""""" play on just a few of the maps and with items off
No.

>Z-cancelling
What is this? or do you mean V-cancelling?

A couple years ago I would've tried to argue with you on that, but I'm starting to get pretty burnt out myself. I only watched a few supermajors in 2016 because I knew too many majors (much mid-level stuff or locals) would be the tipping point.

>Sup Forums right now

funny thing
eventually the gods will grow old and leave

so, the better question is;

is new blood being pumped in to the game?
remember, most of us who played it started when we were kids or teens at the latest

I have top 10 global scores on multiple beatles rock band songs