I was playing 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' and it occurred to me that the game is quite edgy - or at least tries to be

I was playing 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' and it occurred to me that the game is quite edgy - or at least tries to be.

Casting my mind back, I can't think of many other edgy games over the past few years. Maybe the new Mortal Kombats, I suppose they have a lot of adolescent transgression. Maybe even the Fallout games too, sort of.

I might just be out of touch and unaware of the latest developments in the edgy scene. But it seems to me that we have not had many edgy games lately.

Can you think of any razor-sharp, watch-you-don't-cut-yourself-and-upset-mummy edge games in recent times? Say, the past five years or so.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg
youtu.be/Us1Wt66k1jQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jPWrHPNekvE
newworldinteractive.com/insurgency-sandstorm-media-release/
youtube.com/watch?v=nKkPFDEiC6Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg

good 'ol hatred

it sure burned brightly for those 15 seconds of outrage, didn't it?

OP here - I actually knew about this game. I forgot about it because I feel like it doesn't really count. Because, first of all, hardly anyone played it. And, secondly, it's a thinly-disguised remake of the first Postal.

In order to be edgy you have to push the envelope. You're not pushing the envelope by remaking a game that came out 20 years ago.

Bloodborne
The Last of Us

Yeah, TNO wasn't very good and uses its edge and story as a replacement.

I really miss the golden era of PC shooters.

Kill yourself.

Nice low settings cuck

It WAS edgey.
>Le brooding grumpy MC talking to himself.
>Those awkward sex scenes that had no business being in there, hell the entire "cast" of the resistance was cringe worthy.

Wolfenstein is always campy as fuck. See the 09 reboot and RTCW.

TNO is uneven as shit grafix-wise, and it isn't until TOB that it's consistently-pretty

I got the screenshot from Google images. Maybe you are are the cuck for assuming that it was from my actual game. Congratulations on getting your mind cucked yet again, you submussive forum bottom.

When I said i was edgy, I was thinking more about the way that it clearly fetishes Nazis (while also condemning them). It's all a bit having-your-cake-and-eating-it.

I mean, on the one hand it's constantly saying, "Oh, the horrors of this war!" But on the other hand it will give you a level where you are left for dead and thrown into a furnace with emaciated bodies, deliberately recalling Holocaust imagery. Not for any good reason - just for exploitative entertainment.

And then you end up escaping from the concentration camp in a big anime mech, to the tune of a metal soundtrack. Pretty damn edgy indeed.

lmao umad cuck?

I finished TNO just a week ago and thought the same

I enjoyed it but it was indeed the fan project of someone that was playing Half Life 2 and thought "This but with evil super nazis"

It was fun for what it was. The story was really well told. The ending sucked. Weapons lacked impact - having gore is not the only thing in the game that makes them impactful. Characters were cool.

I liked Wolfenstein 2010 weapons and shooting more as well as the supernatural concepts of that one but the story and enemy designs of this one.

It was pretty edgy indeed. Some kills and turns that are straight out of Inglorious Basterds levels of satire. The Nazis here are E V I L as fuck. Deathshead's scene when he extracts the brain of whoever you chose to die for example.

You picked a bad time to have a decent conversation, OP.

I've always liked edgy media that doesn't come off as trying too hard. Unnatural edginess is so cringe worthy that it hurts in places our minds were never meant to experience discomfort.

I haven't played this game, but from what I have seen about it, it seems to me like you automatically consider something to be bad if it displays any attempt at being edgy at all. if I were you, I'd consider that the entire concept of edginess is about pushing boundaries- the types of boundaries that most people are too afraid to even think about.

The future of culture depends on edginess and if you can't appreciate that, then Sup Forums has really done a number on your perception of what classifies as "art."

>it clearly fetishes Nazis
Nazi had cool uniformes. It's hard to not fetishize them even if your ancestors had been bullied by them.

It's not edgy if you're killing Nazis; you'd know this if you had even an ounce of patriotism.

> it will give you a level where you are left for dead and thrown into a furnace with emaciated bodies, deliberately recalling Holocaust imagery. Not for any good reason

What do you mean "not for any good reason"? It's literally a game about nazis.

Nazis have always been fetishized

Just look at this recent American election and Trump.

TNO is tongue in cheek as hell, so is Mortal Kombat. There's nothing edgy about them.

FIGHTING Nazis is fetishized
That's why people are so quick to label their opposition such: Because telling themselves they're opposing Nazis makes them feel good, and makes the situation far less complex.

can you explain what exactly happened in your head to generate a post this dumb?

>And then you end up escaping from the concentration camp in a big anime mech, to the tune of a metal soundtrack. Pretty damn edgy indeed.

Jesus Christ, if you really cannot appreciate WHY metal music is playing when you are wreaking havoc in a gigantic Nazi mech then you should probably consider the possibility that you are far more dense than you think, OP.

It's almost like you have altered one part of your brain so that it automatically links certain concepts with this derogatory concept of "edginess" that Sup Forums likes to toss around once in a while.

Of course, if you simply cannot appreciate WHY edginess can be quite refreshing at times, then you probably never will and that's the end of that.

I don't like using Nazis as a primitive representation of evil, but I definitely enjoyed this game, despite of this political message.

RTCW was based
Did the catacombs spook you?

>I've always liked edgy media that doesn't come off as trying too hard.

I do too. And I've probably come across the wrong way in this thread, because I'm playing it safe and I don't want to get mocked with the old 'fedora' or 'edgelord' staples. I do like edgy entertainment, otherwise I would not have bought this game, played it and made a thread about it.

>I haven't played this game, but from what I have seen about it, it seems to me like you automatically consider something to be bad if it displays any attempt at being edgy at all.

It's worth bearing in mind that you haven't played the game. There are weird changes of tone.

Look, if you want to go all out "Ilsa: Queen of the SS" then by all means make that game. But don't mix in more serious and heartfelt war stories too. Because then it just gets jarring and weird.

TNO was also tongue in cheek. Edgy of this kind is tongue in cheek all around. It's like a slasher movie of sorts in a way.

>It was ancient jewish supernatural technology that isn't supernatural at all

That had me laughing at how stupid and over the top it is. The whole game is over the top and that's why it's fun in its own way.

As I said I liked the Black Sun and secret societies backstory of 2010 more. Drawing energy from The Veil and the weapons like the Tesla Gun and the super fucking awesome Leichenfaust Cannon.

Nothing will ever top Shadow the Hedgehog in cringe-worthy edginess. They played a swearing, gun-toting cartoon hedgehog with a tragic backstory completely straight without a single shred of self-awareness.

Every jrpg ever made.

Same here. All the nazi uniforms and architecture in the game are cool

>edgy
cringe

I'm afraid the only uncharted territories of edgyness is child abuse and Japan already has it covered.

You just can't simply shock people anymore

I lol'd at the ancient jewish magic technology too. Too bad you don't get to wear the suit

Not really. Often cringe-worthy, but outside of Drakengard not really all that edgy.

Not really. Trump was pretty much Hitler, white supremacists love him, racist voted for him, he showed tons of hate and blame towards Mexicans (like Hitler did to the Jews).

There's many similarities.

Prototype, but it released in 2009 and it's 2017 now. Fuck time.
Also, Elizabeth Greene is the worst boss I've ever fought against, the only practical way of damaging, it est airdropping with devastator groundspikes feels like cheesing. Am I just missing something?

Don't forget the audio logs that all boil down to
Things used to be nice
Nazis suck, they kicked my cat
Everyone is a sheep.

All he wanted was stronger immigration control. From that, people extrapolated everything else.

I liked the game but it was constantly taking points away of its own score by kinda mediocre weapons and shitty action.

I found the stealth to be more fitting on the gameplay and ambience than a mediocre shooter.

Weapon takes half the screen, the FOV is low, the firegun blinds you too hard, you don't move fast enough to be a run and gun kind of guy, and there's no proyectiles but only hitscan weapons, so it plays like a Cowduddy BUT you do NOT have full regen health like in those sluggish games.

CoD you have regen health because every encounter could get you killed fast, so you're always in your top game. In this one you WILL GET SHOT INVARIABLY but you can't strafe and outgun the enemy, and makes some parts so fucking painful to cross, looking for a cookie of health somewhere to have a sliver of chance, or sometimes you're forced to exploit the AI and draw them into a killbox because there's no other way.

And on top of that, damage sponge enemies even with the weapons that deal more damage to them.

As a shooter, the shooting is the worst part of it. But the rest was good enough to guarantee a recommendation.

Isn't that why Wolf 3D was about killing Nazis in the first place? id knew nobody really cared if Nazis died a violent (for the time) death.

That's not what everyone else saw.

>Edgy : the post

>yfw you realized that your girlfriend is a whore that fucked nazis so she could kill them

>bloodborne
>edgy

Sure thing buddy

>like Hitler did to the Jews
Jews had it coming like they always do. They're rabble rousers in every country they're in and there's more to that BUT let's not get Sup Forums into a TNO thread. Simpler than it looks like.

>be so disgusted you decide to let yourself die rather than call out to her when she is looking for you

You're killing Nazi scum. It's fine to be edgy and cheesy

Because "everyone else" has a victim complex and wanted their preferred candidate to win. Just like the right exaggerated the emails

She was reading her aunt's diary to you dumbwits

Somehow everyone saw that he hated blacks and gays and trannies, despite him never mentioning them

You realise those audio diaries were written by someone else and the bitch in the game was just reading them out, right

>wake up, youre dead

>tfw beating a bunch of those big monsters to death with my bare fists
That game was awesome, how was the sequel?

You do realise she lied about them being the diaries of someone else, right

Who cares about the window dressing, the first person shooting is fantastic.

Stupid fucks, they were her "sisters'" but she says in one of the last entries that it was actually herself who wrote them, she was just pretending it was her sister because she was embarrassed about BJ knowing she fucked nazis

>the first person shooting is fantastic.

The sequel is "pretend it doesn't exist"-tier. Play Hulk Ultimate Destruction instead.

Doesn't she expose herself to attack when you defeat enough enemies swarming you or destroy her tentacles or something, I can't remember. But yeah, it was a shit boss.

>she says in one of the last entries that it was actually herself who wrote them, she was just pretending it was her sister because she was embarrassed about BJ knowing she fucked nazis

The fuck I heard all of them and didn't got that part

Or did I heard them all?

It had a cover button, right
In a FIRST-person shooter

>boss on the aircraft carrier
>only way to beat him is blades
>he hits like a truck

Why

Well. I don't want to pick a fight with Sonic fans - god knows they'll be angry if I do.

But, as a Nintendo kid who never played any of the Sonic games, it always seemed to me that the Sonic series was inherently edgy. Even your plain old Sonic the Hedgehog had this "bad boy" image with his evil eyebrows and his cool sneakers. He was the video game character your granny didn't want you to know about. In every single picture of Sonic, he was posing like the local rebel: too cool for school.

Shadow the Hedgehog seems like a logical extension of that.

If you push a narrative enough people will believe anything.

youtu.be/Us1Wt66k1jQ

8:54

It's Wolfenstein, of course it's edgy.

>cocking a sub machinegun

youtube.com/watch?v=jPWrHPNekvE

So much keks

>it's another tumblr containment thread

Hmm, I don't know. Vague IMO

>that the game is quite edgy - or at least tries to be.

yeah no shit. Your talking about a series in which mech Hitler is a fucking thing so like no fucking shit.

All games have been dumbed down and neutered in the violent satisfaction department to appeal to numales.

Playing the Turok 2 remaster made me realize just how far video games have regressed in terms of "visceral feedback" when you're fighting and killing your enemies. Sad really, we could have had so much more gore and awesome and bloody battles, but some kike psychologist somewhere decided "no no no that's way too much fun for the male goys that will raise their testosterone and provide a catharsis which we cannot allow even in the virtual world"

It's why games are loaded with female protagonists, bright art-styles and dumbed down characters, story-lines and gameplay in general. Gears of War 4 comes to mind as a recent example.

Thought the same

I got that the aunt or sister or whoever also worked with her because you know, the place got thrashed and people got killed.

Still it has the most bland ending ever.

Doin acid with jimmy hendrix was pretty cool

If you listen to the other diary entries some of them say her "cousin" actually had a crush on BJ in his before he woke up from his coma. Come on, there's no way that's just some coincidence.

Is this Hillary Clinton?

Yes

Does anything interesting or different happen if you complete the dreaming retro-levels

Delete your post.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Hatred.

There are still a good number of brutal games, just not in the mainstream. Cf. Day of Infamy and Insurgency.

Not as far as I could tell. Not even an achievement (although this may be different on consoles).

Yeah I'm concerned about the new Insurgency game though:

newworldinteractive.com/insurgency-sandstorm-media-release/

>Female protags
>"We are very excited to venture into the realm of storytelling to offer more depth for Insurgency. Shooters do not have to be about mindless killing, so players can stop and ask questions about the world a game represents, and find answers within the narrative. Historically, the avant garde in many art forms are who disrupt and redefine genres. For a decade Insurgency has been in that position, and we are emerging from indie obscurity to innovate the FPS genre."

ALARMBELLS.GIF

>single player story with stronk womyn
>also on consoles
DROPPED
Do they even realize this game has no chance to be successful? Console shooters that aren't Battlefield or Call of Duty end up in the bargain bin material two weeks after release. Sad!

it might be good we'll have to see

i cant understand at all the reasons behind them going for SJW cuck points though, pisses me off

Perhaps if the multiplayer is good but I doubt it. Rising Storm 2 looks promising but I don't trust shillwire enough anymore to preorder.

this was pretty edgy

Old Blood is so much better than New Order.

I've learned to ignore Sup Forums's outrage over percieved sjw pandering. I've been playing through the dreaded Dishonored 2 and every level disproves more and more any accusations of pandering. Fuck off and die.

Are we sure that was said by a human being and not expressed by a vegetable through facilitated communication? Surely, nothing made out of meat could possess this little intelligence?

Good goy.

Diablo 3

Persona 5 JUST came out user
its supa edgy

dishonored 2 was a giant fucking flop. another sjw franchise killed

maybe they're taking the piss, laying it on thick. libturds cant tell the difference especially when it's written not spoken. humorless creatures.

>The new Insurgency will have a story mode
Why.
Who in their right mind wanted a story mode for fucking Insurgency? Its all about the Multiplayer. This is bad. This will just take away precious resources for the Multiplayer and Co-op

I like campaigns in games though. I just hope they don't make Gone Home: Durka Durka edition

I mean anyone who plays insurgency for the multiplayer only has already moved on to Squad anyway

Of course campaigns are good, but not in a modern military shooter. It's so overdone

>Squad
>Insurgency
>Remotely similar

>he never heard of nazisploitation.

Is op just talking to himself? All posts follow same format, same word choice, same delivery. This game was fucking great, one of the few games I completed under a week. The combat was the most satisfying I've had in a while, the pacing was spot-on and the introduction to different weapons was very balanced.

ded space

youtube.com/watch?v=nKkPFDEiC6Q