ITT: Games with god tier modding communities

ITT: Games with god tier modding communities.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NarDMrXTP6c
moddb.com/mods/crysis-maximum-immersion-mod
youtu.be/OvzoisT4bEk?t=76
twitter.com/AnonBabble

vtmb and mountain blade

MetaDoom has become one of my favorite mods, and to think it came from the same person behind Reelism.

May be a bit flawed but still needs more recognition.

What about Valve games?

Diablo 2 has some amazing shit.

Best VTMB mods besides the obvious Unofficial?

Dota 2 has a lot of godawful shit on the workshop, but when its mods shine, they REALLY shine.

I fucking hate Baumi but this is the only passable video I could find of recent CIA gameplay: youtube.com/watch?v=NarDMrXTP6c

Which ones has better mods, doom or half-life?

I would go with Doom but only because it's the older game and its engine was said to be simpler to the point it got ported over multiple types of machines.
Maybe i'm wrong.

Quake 1-3 had far better mods.

We'll never get it back.

Why does Doom 2016 lack mod tools?

How would you go about having your game be very accessible for modding, if people wanted to give that a try?

Obviously the game being a success in the first place is a necessity, since it actually needs people to care about it enough, but what made games such as warcraft 3, doom, half life etc such large bastions for fanmade content and awesome game modes and ideas?

Fuck I wish I could make games and have them be open to modding and see what people would come up with and have fun creating, i absolutely love that shit

Literally impossible to enjoy skyrim without them, 300 mods is just barely enought to fix the bad story, bland npcs, shitty textures, slow combat, and uninspired spell system.

glorified console port

Maybe the engine was too complicated for it and SnapMap was something Carmack was working on for a while.

And also

Goes for any elder scrolls game.

Super Mario World

Back in the day TF2 had a bretty gud modding community.

ackshully they were planning on making mod tools for rage but the way they designed the engine crippled mod support and i assume that carries over to nudoom as well
id tech 4 is the last classic engine

Definitely Doom. Half-life did, however spawn several independent games. But Doom was easy to pick up modding and just start making maps.

I don't think you realize how much the mod community exploded with Quake and Half-Life. It seems small now because a lot of the mods were multiplayer focused but it was huge with thousands of maps as well.

Probably one of the best ways would be to introduce lua scripting that interfaces with your game engine, if only because so many games from the last decade do that, especially the big moddable Valve games (Garry's Mod, Dota 2). It's not easy to do, especially by game dev standards, but a lot of mod devs will already be familiar with it and if implemented well is pretty flexible without being overly complicated for something like game modding.

Half-Life spawned Counter-Strike and Team Fortress.

Also: A metric fuckton of other mods like Day of Defeat, Garys, Natural Selection, Sven CoOp aso.

>Carmack made an engine that makes modding tools hard to come by
I guess he's a has been when it comes to game engines, megatextures aren't that great either, given the texture popping they caused in RAGE.

I don't think anything really comes remotely close to Doom in that regard. It survived close to a decade on good maps/DeHackEd patches, and then source ports ZDoom came along and changed the game. Nowadays, people are making fucking platformers and fighting games with Doom. It's been around for 24 years and is still innovating in modern ways. That's pretty incredible.

Well plenty of games use megatextures or something similar to it nowadays like nuDoom, Far Cry 4, and I think Battlefield 1 as well.

I wont be surprised if years from now, people will built a religion based on Doom to the point there's even churches and bibles about Doom.

I wouldn't call it god-tier, but I love the mods people have made for Xcom2. The voicepacks alone, while technically not adding anything to the game, for some reason add so much replayability to the game for me. There is just something about having Duke Nukem, Leela, Daniel Jackson, and HK47 working side by side to terrorize aliens that just gets me more into the game.

If Sup Forums allowed pdf uploads, I'd be posting the DOOM bible right now.

The Sims

Can't sell DLC if the community is able to provide itself with an endless supply of free content.

>Doom
>GTA
>Half-Life
>Quake
>The Sims
>STALKER
The ones I can think of

_arcraft

>an endless supply of free content
Don't forget to mention that it's often superior.

XCOM 2 has some great mods but the scene never really took off, sadly. It definitely has the best modding tools and documentation I've ever seen though.

rip

>ww2
>aliens vs space marines
>terrorists vs police
>rally races
>football
>matrix
>zombies
Installing this shit was like installing +20 free games

This. Also, the first Half Life.

Doom has aged better then Quake though

Sprites always age better than early 3d low poly models.

Not really. I'd rather play Quake online any day of the week over Doom.

Freespace 2. They've done some amazing things with the Source Code Project, including a full-length Wing Commander total conversion and several other great campaigns.

If you like space sims at all, you *need* to get FS2 Open.

Team Fortress started life as a Quake mod. Still my favorite version of TF.

What game is the easiest to mod or to start modding with?

anything that can be modded with a text editor

First game I ever modded on my own was the original Red Alert, because like said, it was all done in a .txt, and that is simple as shit.

based

Neverwinter Nights came packed with the very toolset used to develop the game. It was very easy to use and allowed even one lonely modder to create 30+ hours long singleplayer campaigns.

Doombuilder is great for casuals who want to learn pseudo-3d level design.

Age of Empires 2 also has a really good system with map design and AI scripting but nobody fucking uses it.

Last Days get

Shame it's dead

We even got two Mechwarrior games from it.

Unreal tournament
So many games were thanks to the unreal modding community, killing floor, rocket league, red orchestra, the ball

what are some good Crysis mods, wanted to replay it

try +300

What types? Maps? Graphics? Just check Moddb.

graphic ones

I remember hearing there was a mod that made Crysis look better while boosting performance, what was it? Or was it for the second game

Left 4 Dead 2 and Civilization V

tycoon games

I'd give you a big list but i'l just toss this one at you:

moddb.com/mods/crysis-maximum-immersion-mod

I'm not going to download it and check, but you should delete the files in that mod that change the controls.

Sims 4 doesn't have boob physics yet I'm mad

any fun mod SMW name to download user?

>hotkeys for nanosuit functions
oh that's something I've noticed Crysis 1 lacks, how could the fuck up so bad by not making the nanosuit modes selectable with keys

git gud

it removes leaning

What is the best modding RPG that isn't Bethesda?

Is it Neverwinter Nights, or Gothic?

There's no excuse for all modes not to be selectable in Crysis 1, we got plenty of spare keys in the keyboard, having to go into this shitty arrow UI in middle of a fight is terrible. I never used that mod, just saying i'm replaying Crysis 1 now and the lack of quickswitching in the nanosuit functions is just terrible.

git

>still haven't modded the missing levels in the SNES version back in the game.
>still haven't made their own version of Doom1 for Doom 64
>gave up on the Wii Homebrew port

Project M is MOAT. Especially on a technical level.

not an argument

simply tap middle mouse and it'll go to the suit mode you're aiming at.

Super Mario World

youtu.be/OvzoisT4bEk?t=76

still not as efficient as pressing a button, you're basically making excuses for the game being obtuse about it

I'd say Neverwinter Nights. The first one, that is. NWN2 barely has anything in comparison.

NWN also has sane controls.

>tfw to dumb to learn Lua

For some reason I have CIA dev as a steam friend. I don't even remember playing with him.

Tell him I said thanks for doing Battlerite's job better than Battlerite.

Btfo by hce

Gothic is moddable?

/thread

NOTHING can beat that

Forgot to save this when I saw it in another thread. Thanks.

Fire Pro Wrestling

There was TONS of modding for Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium back in the day, and some extensive modding done on Final Fire Pro Wrestling as well which as extended into recent years.

BeamNG.Drive is getting there, at least on the official forum.

Does Doom have some single, central location for all its mods, that also gives some information about them? Like a Skyrim Nexus equivalent?

Someone mentioned this already, but Quake powered the original TF, and HLs Goldsrc engine started from Quake 2's engine. Quake was just like doom in the sense that both game's engines went on to make some other pretty great games.

No mods fix the story. Nor are there many mods that even try to have a focus on their own story. It's my biggest disappointment with Skyrim mods.

Apparently quest mods are a huge pain in the ass to make.

There's forums what they get posted a lot, lots of half decent amateur gameplay mods. A lot of the big TCs with a complete 32 level set are somewhat harder to come by, in the sense that there's not a lot of them. 6 Golden Souls and BD' s official campaign are some examples. Brutal Doom 64 or the more true GZ Doom 64 are also incredible

is there a mod to remove the bullshit hit detection?

GoldSrc is a heavily rewritten Quake 1 engine. There's bits and pieces from Q2 in there, but the core is Q1.

I actually did not know that, thank you. That misconception likely came from what I've read, and also some of the early alpha builds used a modified quake 2 menu.

>There's forums what they get posted a lot
Which ones?

I'm looking to really get into Doom mods and play all the ones I can, but actually finding them doesn't seem like a very convenient process.