How do you get better at fighting games?

Aside from practice that is

playing

Practice smarter

Practice

Drink a big cup of Daigo Umehara's cum and/or diarrhea

Thread is over.
O V E R

Learn which moves are good for pokes, FFS.

I've played against plenty of people (especially in Tekken) who can nail a 70-80% combo if they get the right hit in, but who don't know how to reliably start their combo to save their life.

play a lot. practice a lot. study matchups. that's basically it, unless you're just talented like sonicfox or something, it takes lots and lots of work

>it takes lots and lots of work

Is that why the FGC is tiny and makes minimal impact in the gayman community unless it's Evo or something?

Practice and experience. Those are the only two things you need in any field not just video games. There are a lot of different ways to practice. You know that saying "Practice makes perfect?" That's bullshit. Practice forms habits. Make sure you're practicing things that are relevant. Don't practice something you can do in your sleep. Practice something that's impossible for you and hone it so you can do it in your sleep.

possibly. kids today don't have the discipline or attention span to get into fightan games so they just turn to shit like league or overwatch that has really easy barrier of entry.

Practice isn't fun user. Playing is fun.

>madcatz

...heh

What? Practice can be fun too. Perhaps not as much as playing. You're telling me you never had fun shooting hoops when you were younger?

Play it and take losses up the anus.
This ain't MOBAs. This ain't FPS.
You need to be beaten back down to earth immediately and swiftly.

Learn all the frame data and then do nothing but spam fireballs and poke. Be sure to sperg out when people call you on this shit by claiming it's called zoning and that it's a valid tactic

But my future waifu isnt a fireball character.

It really is going to depend on your end goal. Like you want to be the best in your circle of friends? Want to be good enough to win casuals at cons or online? Or we talkin' you want to be the "fox only no items" champ?

>How do I get good without practicing
Same way that kid in Like Mike got good at basketball. Steal Daigo's fighstick old fightstick.

he said fighting games

play locals for a few months, learn from your community
then after about 6 months go out of town for a tourney to see what other players are like outside of region
then go to a major and bump elbows with the big boys, they'll teach you some really good shit if you're willing to listen

It takes a lot more work to git gud at fighting games than any other ones because it requires fast execution, accurate execution, experience, specific knowledge about dozens of different characters and their options in a given situation as well as quick decision-making.

You're also alone, there is nothing to blame on your losses but yourself netcode, hardware or someone's character being too good but those don't count for this and this causes many people to lose interest. You don't have teammates to pin losses on, you can't turn your brain off for a bit here and there and rely on others. It's only on you.

go to tournaments, any experience is good experience

Why arent there youtubers with a second camera (with slow mo) focuse don their hands to teach you how to move your fingers ex-act-ly?

there are some.

VesperArcade. There you go.

Learn basic fundamentals of control and mechanics and practice things involving those as much as possible. There is tons of information about executing fireball/dragon punch type stuff.

Join SRK/use video tutorials/wikis and absorb as much info about your character as you can. Don't overload too quick too fast. If you learn about frame data it can help you later with building/understanding scenarios.

Learn your punishes for any punishable move on every character at the different spacings. Learn the spacing of your moves and every other character's. You want to build your punishes to where your muscle memory automatically responds to visual cues of them fucking up. Any game that allows you to record is great for this.

Read any possible information to learn more about fundamentals, setups, and mixups. Watch videos to find common things people use with certain characters. Write/type ideas down that you can see and understand. The more you learn about why people make certain decisions the more you'll start to have ideas of your own to add to what they have. Not everything you think of is going to work and some things may only work in certain contexts.

As far as I can tell the best way to start getting into a game is grinding all of that stuff first. The more you cement into your hands the feel of the game, your setups, your mixups, your punishes, your moves' ranges, and how to deal with all of the same for other characters, the better equipped you'll be. The idea is that, the less you have to think about, then the more you actually can think about.

Oh no worries. I should have used "The next Daigo" to avoid confusion.

>Join SRK

Don't you mean EventHubs? It has more comments on its articles than SRK.

The amount of work you have to put into a fighting game is ridiculous. I once out of curiosity started digging into competitive melee and the timeframe pros gave you to be able to get good enough to actually fight someone at something resembling competitive level was one year to one year and a half. If you were really dedicated or talented.

That's not one year of actually PLAYING the fucking game, mind you. That's one year of going into practice and wavedashing until you could do it in your sleep, and just practicing all other sorts of shit as well. And this was for fucking smash bros, I don't even want to think what it takes to get into one of those animu fighting games where you need to draw a pentagram with your stick just to throw a fireball.

How is Kolin?
i did buy season 1 but for Season 2 i want to unlock the characters legit.
I was dissappointed with Ibuki, and i didn't enjoy Juris "charged special move" gameplay.
is Kolin more straight forward? i faced her online and i love the ice visuals on her super and V-Trigger

It doesn't matter which you join I guess. Whichever has the most people involved and trying to find strategies/understand the game together.

cool but we're talking about FIGHTING GAMES

>competitive melee
An actual fighting game with mechanics that translate into various other fighters would be more worth your time. And there are no pentagrams, a fucking quarter circle forward isn't hard at all user.

Practice.
Practicing itself is a very repetitive activity, so If you're the type of person who hates that, then there's not a whole lot you can do. It's kinda like learning to draw or grinding in RPGs. If you hate that aspect of it, then try your hand at other genres of games to see if you enjoy them more.

>An actual fighting game with mechanics that translate into various other fighters would be more worth your time.

Missing the point, it's still well over one year of serious effort just to be able to get into the genre.

>And there are no pentagrams, a fucking quarter circle forward isn't hard at all user.

Is the concept of someone using a blatant hyperbole for comedic effect really so alien to you?