Portable Graphics

Why do we hate the Switch?

It's the greatest handheld ever and a massive leap from last generation.

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-405-Braswell-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169241.0.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>we

>2017
>handheld
Who cares?

This isn't reddit, we don't have a collective opinion here despite what you may think

I've never hated it. It's a great system. Now all we need is for Nintendo to drop the 3DS. I want the Switch to be the new standard for what a handheld can deliver.

>3ds
>lively and colorful
>switch
>mud colored, bloomed out the ass

BUT IT HAS MORE PIXELS

>massive leap

Yeah, they finally caught up with the fucking Vita

DS has better artstyle. Why do all modern games have that disgusting white fog? The DS version has crispy graphics with clear colour. It may be weaker on the technical side, but I bet it'd look just as good as 3DS on an emulator that improves resolution.

>I want the Switch to be the new standard for what a handheld can deliver.
>Sony puts out a handheld that blows the 3DS out the water for 200 bucks
>Waaah it's shit, it's too expensive
>Nintendo does the same thing years later for 300 bucks
>WOW NINTENDO DOES IT AGAIN, SAVED GAMING

It really is okay when Nintendo does it to some people.

Vitas graphics are shit m8.

Have you ever played Gravity Rush? It looks like shit.

Switch is a Tablet, 3DS is a handheld

Switch is way too fucking big & the battery too short to be a handheld

>That's not even the same time of day moron!!1
>T-That's not even the same angle! Try again!

But the battery is way better than the 3DS. Give it 3DS games to play and it would last for ages.

Hate it because it could have been better with an x2.

>It's the most powerful handheld ever
Sweetie, no...

You're quite literally retarded. The GPD Win gets blown the fuck out by the Switch m8. The Switch contains the strongest/fastest mobile GPU available in the market. The GPD doesn't even come close.

it's the glare from the sun

The vita is better, switch has no games.

>When people post literally whos
Is this system actually well supported game wise or what?

Its a fucking PC, you can play pretty much any PC game on it.

They should remove the glare, it makes the graphics look boring.
DS has much better colours than 3DS, and I don't believe that's because 3DS has worse colour capabilities than DS.

You don't even know if that applies to how I think about the Vita and you still wrote this garbage.

It will happen, but it will probably take a few years for Nintendo to get the price of the Switch hardware down to hit the $149 price point it would need to for them to discontinue to 3DS.
I won't be surprised if they get a revision of the Switch out next year with a new smaller/cheaper version of the SOC and a price point around $179 where they could replace the 'high end' new 3DS XL.

Except the GPU is weaker than an Nvidia K1 (let alone an X1). It's only good for older games and emulators.

it's got a small library called "every Windows game ever"

A Switch Mini with much smaller bezels, maybe a slightly smaller screen, and permanent hardwired JoyCons instead of rechargeable Bluetooth ones

Maybe no dock compatibility at all

Its using an Intel supplied SOC. You can run FTL at full resolution and framerate, or more demanding games at 640x320.
Its a neat concept, but a few years too soon. The Ryzen/Vega handheld systems we'll have in a few years will be really impressive thanks in part to the 3rd party RadeonSI/RadV drivers.

>you can see his greasy finger residue

>at lowest graphics settings.

Because Sup Forums sees it as a handheld or console when it benefits their argument.

>it's got a small library called "every Windows game ever"
notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-405-Braswell-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169241.0.html

LOL

ah neat, better than the switch then

how long have you had it? Thoughts?

> Its a fucking PC, you can play pretty much any PC game on it.

With 10 or less fps?

retard vita had much better looking games then left shit.

Yeah, dropping the HD rumble, making it a single unit, and getting a new version of the SOC will all bring the price down.
I expect the $149 Switch will probably retain the docking functionality, but the dock itself will be redesigned to be cheaper and less prone to damaging the system and may not be included..
Won't be surprised if it runs at the same resolution and framerate all the time.

Honestly I'm not sure if they'll remove the video out capability even when they get down to the $99 price point simply because they essentially get that for free.

Yeah but, is the switch windows?

Dude what? A vita new vita is 350€ here while a new 3ds xl is 220€

This and only this is the reason that i own a 3ds and not a vita.

>inb4 nintenfanboy

I prefer the ps4 over my wii u bc Sony is better tha.n Nintendo in almost evetry way

What the fuck why would they use that?

>the New Nintendo Switch
>same battery life and smaller screen

dead on arrival

No it doesn't run windows. The argument was about which one is stronger, and the Switch is much stronger than the GDP Win.

Because not everyone is interested in the portability aspect and yet you are forced to pay for it

Switch uses BSD, a Free UNIX-like OS.

Basically only Microsoft products use Windows over how much the Windows licensing costs are.
That's a main limiting factor for devices like the GPD Win since it means they can't spend as much on the hardware.
Of course there's also the fact that when it comes to Windows based devices the only options are Intel whose performance absolutely sucks and AMD who has decent drivers, but they're Linux-only.

>treat Switch as a handheld
>fuckhuge and overtly fragile
>treat Switch as a home console
>grossly underpowered

Nintendo really likes shitty glare, softglow, and bloom effects of late for some reason, even though it clashes horribly with their cartoony visual styles. It's in some of their 3DS games, too. I used to theorize that it was just because it was like children getting a new toy, since a lot of devs went crazy with those sorts of effects in the early 360 and PS3 days, but it's been five years since the Wii U and they still haven't dropped it.

Because the majority of the SOCs on the market use ARM hardware and are only compatible with Linux based OSes (Debian, Ubuntu, Android, etc).
If you're looking at Windows then you need x86 which severely limits your options.
Intel can't make a low cost SOC with decent graphics to save their lives because their onboard GPUs depend on CPU power to compensate.
AMD has good hardware, with even better hardware on the way but their in-house developed Windows drivers are abysmal.

Nvidia was blocked by Intel from getting a license so they're stuck in the ARM market making SOCs for UNIX-based devices like the Switch.

Because at the moment ultra-light x86 GPUs don't get much better than that

The powerful laptop sized ones require big heat sinks and fans and suck up battery life

Didn't know switch used BSD. Thought it was android based. Neat.

If it has a newer revision of the SOC and a smaller screen, without the segmented design they could get both more efficient operation and a battery of roughly the same size and capacity.

I like how the Switch is a handheld when you shit on the graphics and a console when you shit on the portability

Using Android/Linux would have brought with it certain obligations from the GPL that Nintendo doesn't want.
They've used BSD since at least the Gamecube.

It's a hybrid with shit graphics and shit portability

HA!

It's in the switches' inheret nature to be like thath though.

It can't be really good at both, it had to compromise because that's what the technology available allows

Gravity Rush is a 5 year old game on 5 year old hardware, meanwhile the Switch is outdated on release, iphones can run games like Bully now

I'd take that over a 3rd Xbox, no one wants that.

You mean a fourth Xbox.

Gravity rushes' (and other vita games) graphics blew my dick off when it came out though

>and a massive leap from last generation.
that's because 3DS had fucking 240p in 2011
switch has 720p, phones have been 1080p or higher for years

No I mean a third xbox.

By Xbox I mean a shitty low-class PC with a brand stamp.

The Switch offers something different, and I already have a PC.

Being able to run a PS2 game is supposed to be impressive?
Switch is impressive in terms of price for performance since its SOC is fully capable of supporting the fully modern Vulkan API (NVN is literally just Nvidia Vulkan + Nintendo extensions) which is apparently the only graphics API available on the system.
To contrast with the iPhone which is restricted to the last-gen proprietary Metal API which lacks a number of modern features like tessellation.

That's a huge step forward for Nintendo who in the past have been hamstrung by using older versions of APIs.

Among all the other issues with the Switch, I refuse to pay for a shoddy online service, since I already have to deal with Comcast and AT&T. Explain to me why I should give nintendo even a penny for a service they will not improve.

>b-but it's cheap
Don't care. That's what sony claimed with 50 bucks a year, but not only did they raise it, they didn't even offer improved security. That's right, them losing user information 10 times over? Happened with PSN+. I'm throwing away 20 bucks a year for no reason when Nintendo already has enough money. they need to stop being greedy.

I hope you're not actually serious. The vita was graphically fantastic but it doesn't even come close to Switch ability.

I hope you're not actually serious. The vita was graphically fantastic but it doesn't even come close to Switch ability.

Most phones run 3D games at 1/2 or 1/4 resolution and even then you'll burn through a battery charge in a much shorter amount of time than you would with the Switch.

>literally looks just as bad as Xbox 360 games, down to the 720p20fps average performance
>massive leap from last generation

What did he mean by this?

>w-who cares
>n-nintendooomed
>mobile games with less substance and more expensive mechanics are enough for me!

>mobile games with less substance and more expensive mechanics are enough for me!'
>he says as every single Nintendo game coming out either has 50 dollars of DLC, or requires you to pay additional online fees for them

on a handheld that would be impressive. Except the battery lasts like 3 hours.

>switch
>cheap

To get a Switch and a game in my country, you're going to spend 400€, and that's without the paid online or any accessory. How the fuck is the switch cheap? For the same price you can get a PS4 and 3 older games.

Still 20x the gameplay that you get tapping at your roulette mobile garbage. I could be paying 100$ a game and still be laughing at you. You're not playing video games no matter what you think, neofag.

>Why do all modern games have that disgusting white fog
I take it you've never looked at an object that's at a distance farther than the other end of the room you're holed up in.

>20fps average performance
>he doesn't know

Kek

>o-on a handheld

Enough with this horseshit. The switch is advertised as a home console you can take around, not the opposite. Besides, the battery is shit and the system itself is flimsy as fuck. It's main usage is at home in a dock or while taking a shit.

What kind of gamer wants to soil his gaming sesh by gaming on a small ass screen with small controlls and on the go walking sat in moving vehicle or sat outside looking at a tiny screen portablefags are massive faggots and arent gamers they are scum

>poor german fag detected

>What kind of gamer wants to soil his gaming sesh

You're fucking embarrasing m8.

>Still 20x the gameplay that you get tapping at your roulette mobile garbage
Yet they have 5 Nintendo exclusives, and you can't say they're bad, or you're implying that Nintendo makes low quality games.

Just because you fill up your diaper while playing your switch and are waiting for a fresh diaper change but no ones coming to your aid dont take it out on me kid

>or you're implying that Nintendo makes low quality games.

Do you have a point here? So you actually enjoy the trash that is tapping on miis and autoscrollers? Lmao, you are below me, don't even talk to me.

They're made by Nintendo though. Seal of quality, remember?

switch is also clocked at 1/3rd the full clocks of the X1 when portable and has only 4xARM Cortex A53s at 1.02Ghz

You know how I can tell you're a high school dropout?

Still much stronger than the GPD.

not sure about GPU but CPU wise the GDP probably is stronger

>Despite what the vast majority of evidence shows

Face it any newcomer to v nowadays would think it's just a hivemind of people that fucking hate everything. Takes a while to find the actual good discussions that aren't either console war baiting or general shitposting.

Nope, it's not. The GPD is not even close.

Autismbux neet detected. When you actually earn your own money you'll think twice about wasting it on overpriced junk that isn't worth half of the retail price.

Because it has a 2 hour battery life so it's useless as a handheld.

4xA53s at only 1.02GHz is really shitty to the point where cheap phones have better configurations

And decide to argue over a Chinese cartoon forum and think it is a good use of resources instead, Good on you!

Shouldnt you be playing on a portable console you pathetic piece of shit gamer scum bet you carry a spare xl ds up your ass for an emergency

Seriously user, just go back to school. It wasn't worth it to drop out, you should invest in your future.

>WUT ARE YOU, POOOR?

This is the most pathetic marketer argument I've ever heard. whether he's poor or not should not factor into a purchase. What if he works hard for his money and just doesn't want to waste it? Did you ever once consider that? Or do you believe that "consumer first" mentality is toxic?

Switch isn't good value for the money. Its an Nvidia Shield except access to fewer games, with a slower CPU, smaller screen, smaller resolution, smaller battery, and $100 more.

Nintendo usually at least tries to aim for utility or uniqueness to make a competitive product in the industry, but they didn't do that here.

NVidia Shield is literally better in every single way and costs $100 less.

raspberry PI 3 has the same CPU cores as the switch except clocked at 1.2GHz

The joke here is that he is wasting resources on buying any videogame and wasting time posting on message-boards.

Those phones won't have modern Vulkan capable GPUs though. So games on those phones will be more restricted graphically due to the weaker graphics hardware in the SOC and the higher CPU overhead of OpenGL ES.

>raspberry PI 3 has the same CPU cores as the switc

An X1 has the CPU and GPU all in one, it doesn't have the same cores as raspberry.

Fucking post a pciture comparing switch to Wii u.