>mfw smash players call meaties "late hits"
>mfw smash players call blockstrings "shield combos"
>mfw smash players call a series of unchallenged hits "combos"
>mfw smash players call strings "natural combos"
>mfw smash players call actual combos "cheap"
>mfw smash players call zoning "spam"
>mfw smash players call money matches "cash battles"

This is why no one takes your shit seriously

Why do you have such indepth competitive smash knowledge?

Smashfags have been shitting up FGC events for years now.

It's impossible to avoid it.

Merge Smash players into FGC,
Make them learn the language and learn the scene and learn what soap is and this problem could be resolved

I'm guessing your main in street fighter is Bismuth?

You actually think they would try to? Cause I really doubt they would

Man the art style on roos face was fucked.

See you at EVO

One of these has to be funny for this to catch on. You know, like cold on the cob or rooty tooty point n shooty.

>merge a bunch of manchildren playing a casual party game into a professional fighting game community

lol

The joke is that it's not a joke.

>always called spaming spamming
dunno about the rest and i haven't played smash since 1999

Yeah well this is Sup Forums where all subtlety is lost. I'm telling you, you're the only one who's going to post these threads until you think of a funny one.

>mfw smash players call team matches "teams"
>mfw smash players call zoning "zoning"
>mfw smash players call money matches "money match"

SF Babies compensating for their dead game on arrival

its pretty funny that you think a different community that was fostered separately from the fgc should have the same names for stuff.

It's almost like it's a very different subset of the fighting genre that warrants using its own terms due to the differences

Who'd have thought

Smashbabies want to have their game be recognized as a "real fighting game." Make them switch lingo and start talking about it as being on the same level as other games and force their players to migrate to other games.

>mfw sf players call Oki Setups "Vortex"

they dont want that anymore because its alredy happened. 2 smash games were the most viewed game at evo. you can joke around all you want but melee and 4 are stuck in this community and all you can do is whine like a baby and never try to make peace

See
Plus, Nintendo already ignores them and getting FGC backing would ensure there would never be a re-release of Melee and every subsequent release get more casual so they get left behind

Out of genuine curiosity, can a fighting game enthusiast explain why the fighting game community at large hates Melee so much? What are the exact elements that make it not stand up as a true fighting game?

>mfw weeaboo ching chong ding dong hello goodbye

Its mostly that the smash fags purposely kept themselves separate for years, and when they tried to join the FGC they were loud and annoying about it and no one likes them.

>tried
theyre already in

Vortex is merely a subcategory of oki setups

I can joke around because even if Smash is the most viewed at Evo, it's not in the community at large. Until the playerbase bends to the fgc and fits it, it can't force itself to be accepted. Smash will never fit in and we told you how to make peace

I've heard BB players use that word quite a lot

They are now, they started to push in 6 or so years ago and eventually weaseled their way in, and everything still dislikes them because they are even more annoying once Sm4sh came out. Even worse than BB faggots.

Gotcha, that much I understand, the Smash community can be extremely cancerous. So does that mean on a mechanics level the game is seen as okay? It's extremely enjoyable to watch and seems like it takes a great deal of skill, I was always just curious why some people thought the game itself didn't fit within the Fighting game niche.

>professional fighting game community
I just want you to know that nobody takes the fgc seriously in the greater competitive gaming scene.

>conform to my rules or else you cant be accepted

neck yourself retard

>says smashcuck
the irony is off the charts

As a fighting game itself, its different. But at least from what I saw in majors back when I was competitive no really cared about that itself. They just didn't like the community. Like FGC was already really splintered at that point with Air-dashers, 3rd strike purests, MvC2, CvS2 etc circles. 3-D fags, SC fags. But they mostly managed to get together well enough.

Dear Smashbros

We, the FGC, are willing to make peace with you guys and accept you into the fold. However, it comes with conditions:

1) Stop claiming Smash is a fighting game. It's a casual party brawler and that's okay. It's still fun.
2) Stop claiming Smash is competitively viable. It's not, it's a casual game you mash in with your friends while drunk/high. Again, nothing wrong with that.
3) Start playing actual fighting games and interacting with the community. SFV hasn't been out that long, Injustice 2 just dropped and Tekken/Rev2 are imminent.
4) Stop demanding special treatment from T.O.s. Know your place and respect the fact we're nice enough to let you tag along at our events.
5) Stop worshiping your top players as gods. It's creepy and pathetic.
6) Wear deodorant and shave. Self explanatory.

Adhering to these will make the transition as smooth as possible. Looking forward to gaming with you folks!

The game itself IS a fighting game, but the community segregated itself early on and is pissed that even though it's got a high viewer count at EVO and they're there, they're not welcomed in completely. It's also because there's no player exchange whatsoever so no communication bridge

What's wrong with them not using fighting game terminology if the FGC doesn't consider it a fighting game?

I don't even play Smash but SFV is just shit.

>mfw fgc shitters continually whine, cry, pule, and simper that smash isn't a fighting game
>then keep bawling like little bitches about how they don't use fgc terminology

Is there a more pathetic community?

>No, really, smashfags are the cancerous ones!

I don't even play any kind of fighting game but I've never actually seen smashfags being the cancerous ones in these threads. It's always people on their high horse acting certain that their latest rehash from capcom is god's gift to man and people aren't allowed to take games they don't like seriously.

>mfw MK/Injustice fags call L,M,H "1,2,3"

>I wanna be in the fgc
>Fuck the fgc rules lol
>Waa nobody respects us what happened??

Sounds illogical to me

Same user who asked above, maybe you can answer this question since you seem to have opinions on it; what exactly makes Melee not a real fighting game? Just curious what the measure is and what exactly it is about Melee that isn't taken seriously by certain members of the fgc.

They don't like the game, haven't played it, or haven't put in the time to get good at it

Therefore it isn't a real fighting game

>>mfw smash players call team matches "crew battles"
i've never heard anyone refer to a crew battle as a team match in any fighting game

Traditionally fighting games are a variation of Beat-em-up. This holds true to 3D as well

The underlying rules of fighting games are not present in Melee (depleting lifebar for example) so for a long time it was not accepted.

At this point it is and has spawned a subgroup of "platform fighters". These games still have the same concepts as OP described and the end goal is still defeat your opponent.

Short story it plays different, rules for getting the Win is different and people will complain about everything.

>being a BB faggot
Opinion discarded, just like your shit game.

sasuga capcomshitters

Well that's not very friendly. No wonder Smash players are discriminated against.

If you have to ban 80% of the content in the game to make it a competitive fighting game then clearly it's not a good choice.

Jokes on you fags, i'm a KoF main.

>items are 80% of the content

So, serious answer from someone who has played a lot of PM and a lot of Third Strike/JJBA/SFIV

It shares very little with traditional fighting games like street fighter. Almost every mechanic in the game is different from traditional fighters, from inputs to advanced techniques to the mindset required in a competitive match.

It's still difficult to master, and in many areas, particularly advanced techniques like DACAS or wavedashing require a lot more muscle memory and practice than a majority of techniques in traditional fighters.

But, what's really going on, is that the competitive scene for Melee (And smash in general) did not grow up alongside the traditional fighting game scene, so there's a natural bias against it and it's players for the game being foreign and strange compared to what they're used to.

It's honestly understandable.

He was simply pointing out your hypocrisy, he doesn't need to think he's not a joke.

>items
>stages
>change the default rules for lives and time
>have to make extra rules by removing sudden death

Meant to say DACUS, sorry

all those removals make the game better

Yeah but, it is 80% of the game.

>Melee is expensive as fuck to buy, good luck getting a legit copy
>you can find trash like Street Fighter in literal dumpsters because people don't care about that shit
>old consoles had endless shovelware fightin gaems that were basically carbon copies of each other
come at me

Fair enough, I can see how the house rules required to play at a competitive level are pretty unfortunate. However, that doesn't have any impact on the mechanics and skill required, right? If a fighting game is not judged based on it's mechanics and feel then what are they judged on?

Sure but you still have to tailor your game to make it competitive, which adds to the argument that it's not meant to be a competitive game

>game includes built in options for playing the game in a more casual way or competitive way
>taking advantage of this to form a competitive structure is apparently a bad thing

Well, if anything that is kind of an argument 'against' Melee. It's not very accessible at this point due to the old hardware required, the game no longer being in circulation and no post release support. None of that has anything to do with the way the game is played, but it doesn't help when looking for a solid footing in the community.

Did I say it was a bad thing? I was just calling it 80% of the game fag. Keep moving those goalposts.

Nigga I play just about everything. But you know Sup Forums is really for anime.

I learned Smash and Steet Fighter at the same time and think you're right but something has to give way now that the communities are merging/are starting to merge. If a new platform fighter was released and had a competitive scene the issue would subside I think.

The problem is that Smash community never bothered to explore a metagame with items and varying stages. It was just "oh this should just be banned, it could be a disadavantage for X char" but if X char gets a ranged weapon then everything becomes different but they never fully explored the metagame around it.

Imagine if the Street Fighter community disabled all fireballs in the original Street Fighter 2 game. Zangief and Honda would reign supreme unchallenged.

>mfw smash players call footsies "spacing"
what? i've heard the term spacing used by fgc fags since forever

I thought East Coast players originally played with items though? If I remember correctly items were featured in a handful of the earliest tournaments are eventually the consensus was reached that the game felt better without them.

I understand the parallel to removing projectiles from SF on a conceptual level, but the main difference is that items can completely break the game. I mean just watch what happens when a Peach player pulls a Saber in tourney, it completely changes the flow of the match.

You might be a faggot but I really want to know.

What's it like knowing the inputs in KoF games have been made simple?

I saw Rock lost his deadly rave buttons and I know damn well Geese no longer has the pretzel motion. Old SNK games had difficult but rewarding inputs.

Spacing is just the neutral specific positions you're trying to maintain between characters. It's not really an offensive or defensive measure but rather a default range you wish to maintain.

Footsies is where you're using normals(and sometimes specials) to try and hit people because either your attacks are just slightly more range than them or your opponent uses their attacks and have extended their hitbox making them slightly more vulnerable than normal when normally it wouldn't connect. There's an implication of attack and defence associated with footsies.

Believe it or not, when Melee first started to foster a competitive scene, they allowed for items.

It was through trial and time that they realized items made the play experience worse for everybody involved. It's not that the items themselves were bad, it's moreso the HUGE element of randomness that was involved.

It's incredibly easy for a star or hammer to just win the game for a player, without much anyone else can do about it. Hell, you can be playing the game as normal and a bomb or explosive crate could spawn on top of you and kill you. That's not competitive - Or fun.

Holy shit I never thought of that. That does open up options but that requires Smash to embrace itself to become a real fighting game.

>people on their high horse acting certain that their latest rehash from capcom is god's gift to man

Nobody hates Capcom more than people who were even slightly serious about tourneyfagging during SF4 days.

>adds to the argument that it's not meant to be a competitive game
Who the fuck cares what it's "meant" to be? Does it really matter that the makers of it didn't consider it to be competitive when it currently has a ton of it's own tournaments, has and will be a big part of Evo, and brings in fuckloads of views, money, and competitors?
>The problem is that Smash community never bothered to explore a metagame with items and varying stages.
That's because the metagame with those is "hope for good RNG" and "abuse the shit out of whatever jankiness the stage was banned for"

Doesn't really bug me, KoF imputs change literally every game.

On top of that, you can't really compare items to fireballs. There's no randomness involved in regular projectiles. I can't think of any character in street fighter that makes use of RNG.

Not that user but simpler inputs didn't do shit to KoF

The only real way to play Smash is to all pick Pokemon and/or Pokemon Trainer. Set Items to VERY HIGH, only POKEBALLS AND TOMATOS. Stage to POKEMON STADIUM.

Smash players are retarded people stuck in their 12 year old mind sets, nothing new here.

Does Street Fighter EX count?

What's the issue? most don't consider smash a fighting game so they used their own terms.

>yfw smash players call your mum a "dirty ol' whore"

If you have to gut 90% of the game to make it competitive then it's not a real fighting game.

To my knowledge the only thing that has been banned from SF4 was one volcano stage where the background animations made it hard to make shit out, especially for colour blind people. (Even then it wasn't "banned" people just didn't play it out of common courtesy)

Imagine banning certain starcraft units from BW because they had too much of a meta advantage. That's not how you approach a competitive game, you examine the strength of the meta and find a weakness.

>Waaaah they used the same genre name as my game
>Waaaah they're not using the same terminology now
Which do you want, fuckface?

Where are you pulling these numbers out of? Have you ever played smash?

Do you really consider items and a handful of shitty, unfun stages "90%" of the content?

Especially when there's literally an option to turn it off in-game, because the developers built the game around not having to use them?

>Smash players are retarded people stuck in their 12 year old mind sets

Should come as no surprise, considering most Smash players are just barely older than 12.

Have you ever even played the game? Items are banned because they're total RNG, and there aren't any characters banned.
>Imagine banning certain starcraft units from BW because they had too much of a meta advantage.
It's more like banning a starcraft map because every base is separated by water/chasms and can only be reached by air, giving the Terran a large advantage.

"unfun" Opinions. Let's actually cut the game up.
Smash has many modes, and a great deal of stages. Less than half the stages are even counterpick, with only a few ever actually used. Even if you count the items 1:1 to characters you are still deleting easily 75% of the game. Let alone removing concepts like sudden death.

They gave you the options to turn them off, because that is how a party game works you faggot. There is no option to turn off fireballs in street fighter. There is no option to turn off mechanics. Smash let's you do that, because they didn't design it to be a fighting game, it was made to be a party-brawler. You have to jump through hoops to get it to a competitive level.

Now I think Smash at its level is a competetive fighting game, sure, but you have to admit all the arbitrary rules and regulations added to make it so.

No, banning the stages is like banning the maps in starcraft. Banning items is removing tools for the players to use, i.e items.

>Smash isn't a fighting game

What constitutes a fighting game?

I hate that I love to watch smash battles with my favorite players. Fuck mango though.

Its funny cos like who the fuck cares. Like in smash bros youre fighting arent you? So its a fighting game. Dumb fucks need to chill the fuck out about genres and shit.

>What constitutes a fighting game?

Two players fighting on a single 2d plane with the goal of depleting the opponent's health bar (or several), with reasonable deviations.

>Tekken isn't a fighting game
>2d fighters with stage transitions aren't fighting games

>mfw SFV players call SFV "es ef vee"

>SF players call footwork "footsies"
>SF players call simultaneous inputs that will do a positive thing either way "option selects" despite not selecting anything
>Pretending SF players don't call zoning "spam"
>SF players don't understand numeral inputs so they call all 214s "DPs"
Hmm....

>Smash
>a fighting game
>Street fighter
>a fighting game
>Tekken
>a fighting game
Psh. All of those are shit. Step aside scrubs, because a real fighting game is coming.

>stamina mode on literally any omega form stage.

numeral inputs only work for 3-4 button fights retard

>merge a bunch of manchildren with a bunch of manchildren
I don't see the problem.