Will the Sims ever have a competitor?

Will the Sims ever have a competitor?

Other urls found in this thread:

freeso.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's mind-bobbling that no one has tried to make a better The Sims. it remains the only game series in its respective genre (life simulation, whatever you want to call this). EA has screwed the pooch with this series so hard, and the only reason they get away with it is because where else would you go if you wanted this kind of game?

I still have to play The Sims for that reason. but hey, give me any semi-competent replacement and I'll take it.

>mind-bobbling

yep, it's time to go to sleep.

I'd say something like the Sims is why too hard and costly for any indi dev to make. I mean even the most compitent indi dev has a hard time making decent RCT clones.

Zynga made one.

I would definitely support an alternative, it would probably come out better and have modding capacity.

why would it have to be an indie dev? any competent AA or even AAA dev could attempt it. why have there not even been any attempts?
browser games obviously don't count as real games

What counts as a real game? The one with objectives or the ones without?

Good point but I guess the next reason is lack of interest. Sims has no competititors and making one, specially now seems like a waste. Aside from better AI (which is still hard) what more could they really do?

I know the sims is casual but 4's pace is way too slow

>Aside from better AI (which is still hard) what more could they really do?
better service (none of this price gouging shit), better features (Sims 4 didn't even launch with pools), better artstyle (this one only gets progressively worse with EA), deeper systems (careers are an obvious one, even the Sims 4 attempt to make deeper careers by controlling your Sim at work ended up being shallow as fuck), a unique take on neighborhoods/location (could even be a gimmick, such as having a real city/place as the setting), etc.

Better time controls.

Better aging mechanics.

Better job mechanics.

More customization options.

More life threats, maybe make it possible for a Sim to be a serial killer.

More life situations that make it harder to get rich.

Artstyle was shit in 3 but is the best so far in 4.

But somehow the new ones have lost all the coziness that 1 and to a lesser extent 2 had. I can't figure out why exactly.

>More life situations that make it harder to get rich.

this one is so important. handling finances/money is too fucking easy man. after a year, you're pretty much a millionaire.

The Sims can't even make a competitor for The Sims.
See The Urbz and Sims Medieval.

There could be a mechanic where instead of you buying furniture and having it be in your house all nicely, you would buy it and you'll have to wait for someone to deliver it to you and depending on the furniture you could have the need to put it together, which could require some skills or you could spend more money to get a professional to do it. And in either case the packaging would generate garbage.

Might as well play real life.

Well in that case they'd have to really balance out the monotony of the life sim with the really fucking boring monotony like putting furniture together

Well its those aspects of real life that made the Sims somewhat popular.

but you're right, its a tedious idea that might not be done well.

That sounds awful

I've always wondered why there are zero competitors for The Sims. I wish Will Wright could have built his dream games instead of going full kike with EA.

just like real life

I prefer the Urbz. Having an end-goal and, in the process, getting to see everything a game has to offer is more fun than having to try out everything myself and end up at the same point

>urbz
>not Bustin' Out
I thought you were cool but you're just a square

I've played both. I prefer the art direction of Urbz

WoW's first competitor.

freeso.org/
Sup Forums server when

Why haven't these guys made a single player knockoff yet if they have the base sims 1 code down already

Disregard that I wasn't aware you needed the original game. I thought it was a recreation instead of just a server re-implementation

>be on phone in thread
>taking shit
>wiped toilet seat with paper towel prior to sitting down
>toss it into the toilet and think nothing of it, when i finish shitting it doesnt want to flush
>i panic it is literally centimeters away from overflowing
>remembered the countless times my sims clogged their toilets and their reactions as i let out a loud sigh
>tfw i am a sim

Cities Skylines already beat SimCity at being the superior citybuilder.
When will they make The Cims?

>Cims Lifelines
I'd buy it

Simcity 4 is still superior though

That's more like the ancestor of Second Life.

Yes, heterosexuality.

>tfw Urbz 2 never ever

It did not beat SimCity 4 though

kill me

It beats SimCity 4 in terms of city size, aesthetics and traffic management. It's just not as challenging, so you don't need to optimize much which is a problem if that's what you are playing city builders for.

Goddamn that game was comfy.

I never got to play it. Probably doesn't hold up now I'm thinking.

Sucks wish I can go back and try it. It just didn't appeal to me at the time.

I mean, I guess...

The very large majority of people that play the sims are women from teen upward.
These consumers would never bother to buy another product in the same genre even if its better, simply because it wouldnt be as well known as the sims.

I don't think any AAA dev would bother, TS is so unique that they'd just be called out for copying it.

That's not even close to the same thing at all.

Pretty much this.

How else can you make a good life simulator game without making it exactly/just like The Sims. It's literally a fucking perfect design from the easy to use interaction bubbles, to the UI with the life stats. You can't make make it any other way. EA perfected it, and any attempting to make a life simulator would have to follow along those guidelines and would just be called out as a copy-cat. Even though you can just make up your own story and world to make it different from The Sims and avoid the copyright violation, the fans and the players will know and will ostracize your company for doing so.

glorified chatroom

>How else can you make a good life simulator game without making it exactly/just like The Sims. It's literally a fucking perfect design from the easy to use interaction bubbles, to the UI with the life stats. You can't make make it any other way. EA perfected it, and any attempting to make a life simulator would have to follow along those guidelines and would just be called out as a copy-cat. Even though you can just make up your own story and world to make it different from The Sims and avoid the copyright violation, the fans and the players will know and will ostracize your company for doing so.
>Everything has been invented, there's nothing to invent anymore.

>Why reinvent the wheel

Sup Forums Sims threads are some of my favourite threads

I just want a sims not by EA desu

I can see someone making it from the ground up and it being different enough, like a Sims with 2d graphics or weird shit like combat and leveling on the side. At the least it'd have different stats/items. I can't imagine the basic UI being different but then the question becomes how different do games of a same genre have to be? Some jrpgs, shooters, roguelites can appear samey. There are games that copy another deliberately too. I think it could work.

>>Why reinvent the wheel
Concept remains the same implementation changes a lot. Is the tire performance from 1920s the same as modern tires?

I do too, but unless a small dev similar to Colossal Order comes along to make a spirtual successor it's not going to happen.

We reinvented more than once. The concept of round thing go roll didn't change. But it went a long way from being carved rock round thing, to an internally inflated covered multi layer rubber round thing.

>It beats SimCity 4 in terms of city size

What are some other comfy games where you have to take care of basic needs? I can only think of that shitty indie "Youtubers Life" from recent ones.

I can't autisino enough to make shit like this.

You could have one made by Paradox which does the game really well apart from the sim movement pathing, and you end up with thousands of sims stuck trying to go to the bathroom at the same time

i hate how in sims 4 everyone acts happy, the only time people get sad is when someone dies. its creepy.

what kind of mechanic cant put together furniture?

>shit is separated into 40 regions that you each have to play separately

Yeah nah

Everyone who plays The Sims wants to make their little Sim dollys do whatever they want, but I just want a more realistic life simulation.

I want there to be a mode where characters make their own decisions based on their upbringing and the traits they have. The Sims don't make their own decisions, they don't pick their own jobs, their own wives. The only thing the AI does is preserve it's own life.

This is especially apparent when you can force someone who has the "commitment issues" trait to get married and keep the same job. The only thing that happens is that the Sim will "wish" they would get divorced or quit their job, but they won't do it unless you do it for them.

Another thing that The Sims doesn't accurately simulate about life is Friendships. Time moves so fast in the game and Sims die so quickly, it's impossible to keep up a Sims social life and there is no point unless their aspiration is to be sociable. In real life, even if you're SUPER into playing Guitar, you still have other friends who play Guitar, right?

Another is relationships. The divorce rate in real life is like 50%, right? How come people in the Sims can meet someone, DAY ONE, have nothing in common and get married THAT NIGHT? There should be some kind of punishment for that, like a year after their married they realize they know nothing about each other and break up.

I could go into more details, but I know that no one cares and this is tl;dr. I guess I'm retarded because I want an idealistic videogame to portray realistic sad stuff, right?

I could never get buildings that high. How do you do it?

I don't understand the appeal of separate regions. I don't really like going back and forth. It also creates a lot of problems.

I enjoyed reading that user

>Sims 1 is still the best game in the franchise
>Sims 4 tried to go back to the roots
>fuck up so hard that EA kills Maxis and Sims

what happend ?

I'd jump the ship immediately if there was an alternative

Develop a fuckton of regions, and other states.

Sims 4 is a great game if you're willing to spend $400 + tip.

>chinman
Holy shit someone post the story

You forgot functioning world that actually moves forward, instead of eventually being filled with characters you created in a frozen state career, relationship and ability wise after you gave control to the AI.

There's a mod that gives sims adjustable and up to full autonomy.

Sims 4 has fuck all content, even with all of those """""""""""DLCS""""""""""""

Sims 3 would be best if not for the loading times and incompatible expansions.

not him but really? link please, is it for ts4?

Isn't that already integrated in the game options?

Fuck off, an Indy dev could easily make a Sims 1 clone and as long as it had good gameplay, no lag, bugs or spaghetti code like EA's do then it'd do really well. Cunts need to learn that Gameplay > Graphics.

No
Yes

they can't choose to marry or jobs alone user, that's what that user wants

No, it's just a chatroom with hats and $1500 dick mods, like Gmod Tower.

Half the stuff you ask for would piss the shit out of 99% of The Sims player.

>OMG why did my Sim just quit his job on his own?! He was about to max it!
>Why the fuck did he broke with her wife?! This cut the household income in half!
>Holy shit, i go take a piss and my Sim decided it was a great idea to throw a party and blow half his money on it while i was away

People don't want a simulator, they want a doll house sandbox. And that's what EA releases.

A good dick costs like $8.

what will you do then if they all do things by themselves? It will be just an ant farm then, no?
I guess they could add a watch only option for people who just wanna watch something

I love how all the SL promotional material is so fucking deceptive.

They should have at least one werewolf model with neon accessories and a perma erect horse cock on display. Then it would be accurate.

When will nintendo make their own sims game?

Anyone got the screencap of the Sup Forums NEET who spent 15 years selling $1500 dicks on Second Life?

I wish fallout would have a competitor (with same thematic), just to fuck Bethesda over.

Sims 4 is fun!

Isn't part of the point (in a "normal" playthrough) being able to self-insert? That's why you can tell the sims what to do

fucking 2017 and you can't recreate Abe Lincoln in sims 4
why the fuck!
Not only sims, a lot of games don't have the right beard model
I'm fucking mad!

I thought they were developing it already

I would literally pay EA $60 just for them to optimize Sims 3.

>by Paradox
>neighbour declares war
>casus belli: loud music after 10 pm

Would play.

>release game
>release a ridiculous amount of overpriced DLC, over $400 worth of DLC total
>strip a bunch of features from the sequel because you think you can get away with it
>turns out fans who have invested hundreds of dollars and hours into a single game aren't planning on jumping ship to experience poorly implemented gimmicks like moods

>Sims 1 is still the best game in the franchise
?

He's probably talking about DF or Rimworld style autonomy.
You can give your toons certain orders but they are mostly autonomous and act based on their personalities, not yours.

I am pretty sure no one is ever claiming that Sims 1 is the best game. Usually it's either 2 or 3.

Also
>that captcha

Yea I wish the Sims had Dwarven Psychology but few other Indy devs are autistic enough and every AA or AAA company only wants cash. Not to mention the average pleb player wouldn't notice or care about the difference.

I want to pork that Orc