Realistically speaking, has Breath of the Wild changed open world games forever?

Realistically speaking, has Breath of the Wild changed open world games forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-05-how-will-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-change-the-open-world-paradigm
horizonzerodawn.wiki.fextralife.com/Enemies
zelda.gamepedia.com/Enemies_in_Breath_of_the_Wild
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What do you mean?

it copied a bland format that has existed for atleast a decade you fucking nintenbro

if you want to see more of what botw has then see the yearly AC releases that it blatantly copied

My guess is there'll be a lot more games with "dynamic physics". That'll be the latest meme. Either that or climbing.

yes

I hope so
Best open world game since V, which was only spoiled by the fact it was unfinished

It's a good game, but hasn't done anything new. I thought this was already established.

Quit sucking Nintendos cock. Name one unique open world feature in BotW.

Only in terms of climbing. I can't go back, I love trying to find creative ways to reach tough spots by outsmarting the geography.

no

What a shitty, cancerous, rabid fanbase.

It looks like a lot of people are impressed by some of its decisions, but it remains to be seen if other games in the format will follow its lead.

I think other open world games will probably guide you through landmarks in the future, but I doubt that they'll give you every tool you need at the start of the game.

am I the only one who thinks this game looks like ass visually?

>ass creed has fire mechanics
>ass creed has chalanging combat
>ass creed lets you climb EVERYWERE, not just were they programed it to
>ass creed lets you surf with your hidden blade
>ass creed lets you skip parts of the game just by being clever
>ass creed has decent stealth mecanics
>ass creed has near perfect hitboxes
>ass creed has cuteable trees
>ass creed lets you go to the last boss from the start

>but game Y has ONE of the things above
>but game Z has ANOTHER of the things above
>but game X has maybe TWO of the things above

>there was no game with ALL the things above until Zelda

It's the beginning of the end of the narrative that the AAA games on non Nintendo platforms are somehow more technologically advanced and more important than Nintendo titles.

I don't see Skyrim 2 being as popular as the first. People are going to find that BOTW is, imagine this, actually much more fun to play. There's a reason no one cares about Fallout 4 anymore.

Maybe? It might get other devs to actually put unique stuff in their games instead of just copy pasting city streets and houses ad nauseum. Not saying BotW is amazing but some of the vistas are gorgeous and your eye naturally falls on those spots they wanted it to.

yup

Shitty tower system, side quests that are filled with things like "collect 200 rushrooms", and full of collectibles to make up for an empty world

I WONDER WHAT ZELDA WILL INVENT NEXT?

This is what 30 years of brainwashing looks like. Just sit down, relax and take all of this delusion in, you'll not see it anywhere other than Sup Forums - Shitendo.

>since the subject cant disprove his point, he gets desperate and start to say petty insults trying to bait a reaction
>such is life
>in Sup Forums

I think it does a few new things, but more than that I think it took the best things from old open worlds and molded them into one. I legitimately think it's a stepping stone all developers should learn from, and hopefully improve on, because it isn't perfect. I can't really go back to old open worlds now.

>"dynamic physics". That'll be the latest meme.

That would be a good though. Physics should be the way to go.

your sister's cunt

please be bait

I know this is the first time YOU have witnessed these things in a videogame since you've never touched anything but a nintendo game in your life, but ALL of this shit has existed long before botw, believe it or not

It actually fixes the Ubisoft tower problem drastically by having each tower surrounded by a unique obstacle to overcome and it doesn't highlight every single point of interest on your map, instead the world is well built so that it relies on establishing lines of sight and lets the player navigate it without the need for quest markers.

learn to read nigga

>but game Y has ONE of the things above
>but game Z has ANOTHER ONE of the things above
>but game X has maybe TWO of the things above

>there was no game with ALL the things above IN ONE GAME until Zelda

The game promised so much, and delivered on so little.

It has this vast interesting landscape with hulking monoliths walking around, and you keep getting the feeling that there's something awesome around the corner. But there never is.

There's nothing under the surface. I hope to god games never tease me that cruelly again.

Not really. Its only strong point relative to other open world games is the combat system which isn't clunky like it is in Skyrim and TW3.

Quests, world building, points of interest, ambient dungeons are all nonexistent in BoTW.

I don't even know where to begin with this post

you're fucking deluded man

like seriously I think you might've hit submit without actually readying the shit you spewed

>difficult combat
>zelda stealth is better than ac stealth
>acting like ac didnt fucking invent climbing anywhere
>acting like copying a bunch of shit from other games is somehow innovative, instead of just calling it what it is, a compilation of shit copied from other games

I don't even fucking like assasins creed but take Miyamoto's cock out of your fucking ass before you post, goddamn

The other poster is right. It might of implemented all those things, but it didn't do anything new.

I really don't get the love for this game. You always see that webms of fancy physics and sequence breaking, but I'm really not that impressed, it's not like those physics are actually a big part of playing through the game. A lot of the game still feels like a pretty monotonous checklist

every assasins creed tower had a unique guard formation around it and different climbing layouts too, literally the exact same thing that zelda does

both are repetitive fucking garbage after like the 3rd tower

YOU learn to read

the OP is saying that botw somehow brought something new to the table that other open world games will have to copy

when in your own fucking post you list things that have existed long before zelda

I dont give a shit if it merged them together in one game, they all fucking existed already

Actually, I felt that there were many points of interest, if only because I really liked exploring the landscape. The game isn't empty, but it can feel like it is. Instead of dungeons, we get shrines, which are fun, but they feel common. If at the end of a Shrine quest I got to explore a uniquely crafted dungeon instead, that would be a game I'd have a hard time putting down. Another big complaint for me is enemy types: there aren't many, and it can get repetitive. Along with a relatively non-existant story (why the FUCK didn't it take place during the past memories?) this is why the world can feel so empty at times: because due to all these things everything can start to look the same even if there's a lot of variety in the landscape and a ton of cool items to get.

This game needed more time in development. More enemy times, a better story, and replace the shrines with dungeons. Then I'd be saying it's one of the greatest games ever made.

>it's not like those physics are actually a big part of playing through the game
Virtually EVERY shrine uses physics puzzles in some way, but since you admit to just watching webms as the only source of your BotW knowledge it's understandable. You still shouldn't be trying to pretend to be an authority of a game you haven't played, though.

Yes,
Korok equivalents will now be in all open world games since it was honestly one of the better introduced features to the genre. No area ever seams empty now.

>>acting like ac didnt fucking invent climbing anywhere
it didnt, you can only cling in windows n shit

>Virtually EVERY shrine uses physics puzzles in some way
what about all the filler combat shrines and "you have already overcome this trial" shrines that there are so fucking many of

Probably. There's so many little details that other open world games feel disappointing for not having them. I hope everybody tries to copy the multiplicative gameplay concept.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

>Korok equivalents will now be in all open world games
Yeah, even Batman is getting in on it with Riddler trophies.

is this guy the new xv-kun

give it a rest bud. no one is really biting.

Objectively, yes.
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-05-how-will-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-change-the-open-world-paradigm

I think an assasins creed game or two came out on a nintendo console, play one before you talk about shit you don't know, otherwise you look like a fucking idiot

I forgot about xv-kun. Damn shitposters. Was a bro tho.

I don't care what it did or didn't do for "open world" games. I'm more concerned about what it did to Zelda games, because I sure don't want the next game to be anything like the pile of shit that is BOTW.

I hope people keep the way BOTW did climbing. I did like that. Pretending that is a revolutionary genre changing idea is a bit much.

>Literal who

>leading designers behind Witcher 3 and Asscreed

>what it did to Zelda games
Finally fixed them? Literally the only Zelda game that's better than BotW is MM.

The shrines use the literal items for manipulating physics, those aren't the same physics that people always show off in the webms.

It might be what stuck with me most though. For a while I'd play other games and jump at walls, expecting to be able to stick to them.

i do, in fact you can only climb in the red market places, you cant climb EVERYWERE

>So removing the code that limits where you can >climb and adding a stamina bar.

Revolution!

>difficult combat
yes enemies will one shot you near constantly if your not careful enough.
>zelda stealth is better than ac stealth
stealth isn't the main mechanic anyway
>acting like ac didnt fucking invent climbing anywhere
It didn't though?
>acting like copying a bunch of shit from other games is somehow innovative, instead of just calling it what it is, a compilation of shit copied from other games
Nintendo is known for taking ideas and implementing them the right way though. It's why analog/rumble/3d/motion controls/dpad/l and r/4 button layout and more has become an industry standard. The same can be said for BotW. It did things right.

Why did it take someone this long to do it if it's as simple as you imply?

>removing the code that limits where you can >climb
that's not how it works, user. Also, this is a pointless arguments as the lead designer of Asscreed praised BotW for things like it's climbing system already , so I don't get how this is even a debate.

That remains to be seen.

Almost every one of BotW's mechanics and physics shenanigans have been done by other games, but I don't think any game has done so with the same combination of tools and the level of consistency and creativity the game allows. On top of that the world is huge, a thrill to explore, and has at least a little replayability to it. It's got flaws, namely in enemy variety and shrines like Tests of Strength and Blessings, and while Korok seeds are useful for upgrades they stop being a compelling reward after around 100 or so. But I think it's the most fun I've had with an open-world game in long, long time. If Nintendo does a sequel with the same engine/framework I'm almost certain they'll be able to stamp out the few issues they had and make an even better game.

Why does every open world game have so few villages/NPCs? It's weird.

they take a lot of effort to code, since you need to program some level of AI and pathfinding, as well as provide plenty of dialogue and a unique model.

If you're doing NPCs right, they need unique models/faces/whatever, dialogue, a purpose to serve whether it's lore, quests, enemies, and so on. That's a lot of work for each character, not counting the programming that goes into them since all that stuff is just design. Filling an entire village is a task on its own, let alone trying to populate an entire city.

Not really

it's a well-polished sandbox but it's still a sandbox, it doesn't actually do anything groundbreaking. Yeah it has physics-based puzzles and gameplay but other games have that. Yeah you can explore and climb every square inch but other games have that. It's good, but it doesn't innovate shit. Even its shtick of encouraging players to make up their own solutions on the fly isn't original, it just does it well.

>copies ass creed in almost every aspect
>this game is so innovative

How did it change anything?

and yet the lead designer of asscreed praised botw for being innovative...hmm...

Because if people wanted it they would play a spiderman game

Nintenbabies truly live in their own little bubble

are you shitting on spiderman 2?

>sees someone stealing their mechanics
>"you're so innovative"

Are you pretending to be this retarded?

No.

But it was fun.

>Nintendo baby's first open world game
Horizon is way better than BotWand I mean it, and I'm using it just as a relevant example but there are many better games out there (pic maybe or not related)

see

only thing horizon does better is graphics

>Best open world game since V

You mean that completely empty and bland open-world that didn't need to exist?

And voice acting, soundtrack, enemy variety, story.

Not at all. It did literally nothing new.

I think he meant GTA V, user.

Actually in case of Open World, Breath of the Wild changed nothing. Only few thing make it looks like fresh, but it's still boring and empty planescape.

Planned on buying this game today, but I can't find a goddamn switch in any fucking store.

Nothing that Dragon's Dogma didn't already do besides the climbing mechanics I guess, but that won't be copied.

>voice acting
god no
>soundtrack
subjective, but I find it too generic
>enemy variety
no, enemy variety may be weak in BotW but it's even worse in Horizon
>story.
I'll give it points for originality but the writing is a mess otherwise.

>soundtrack

Let's not get carried away, user.

There are to many open world V games in recent history
>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
>Grand Theft Auto V
>Metal Great Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Why are you arguing over that which is objectively wrong?

horizonzerodawn.wiki.fextralife.com/Enemies
zelda.gamepedia.com/Enemies_in_Breath_of_the_Wild

ok no, I love Horizon but the story is shite,. Or am I retarded? what's happening up to the point where you go to Meridian? Does it pick up from there or what

DD is a shite open world with even fewer enemy variety than Zelda though and even fewer reasons to explore its land.

The only good things about it are the pawn system and class uniqueness in skills.

your own links prove that I'm right.

I don't remember what they promised. Care to remind me?

>Skyrim 2

People don't care about fallout 4 because they tried to appeal to a larger audience to make more initial sales, but that larger audience has a much shorter attention span for games and stopped playing after a week. Now the game can't even appeal to the older fans because they stripped away a lot of its long term appeal and depth.

Maybe Bethesda will learn from its past mistakes and make a more gameplay AND rpg heavy TES.

>HZD
>24 unique enemy types

>BotW
>15 unique enemy types

>gets btfo
>Y-youre just mad

It's a mediocre game for sure but that doesn't change what I've said. It had a huge focus on the kind of interplay between mechanics you see in Zelda and tolerable combat

>no arguments
>starts ad hominem attack

I want you to know you are doing a pretty great job there, you massive cuck.

>Nintendo's Skyrim with some AssCreed
>Effectively killed Zelda once and for all by having very little Zelda stuff in it
>If it was the same me withouth the Zelda skin ove it it would have been forgotten in two weeks
I played it in CemU for 3 hours and found nothing interesting in it. And I hav played every Zelda game minus the CD-I and the Zeda Kodai stuff.

Almonds are getting activated.

>Fire Bellowback
>Freeze Bellowback
>Corrupted (Recolored) versions of the same thing
user... Nintendo always wins

Hahahha NO GAME HAHhhaha only has bloodbonre hahaahaaah

Why don't Nintendo fans ever thank the games that heavily influenced it, such as Red Dead Redemption, FarCry series, Assassin's Creed and more?

This game didn't spawn out of nowhere.

Deep breaths, user